IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why
Senior Search Engineer at a financial services firm with 51-200 employees
Good support, reasonable price, and allows us to define a model to represent a website and reuse its components
  • "I like the feature where you can define a model that represents your website and then reuse the components from the model. It makes creating more test cases easy."
  • "One improvement would be if it could support more programming languages such as JavaScript or Python. Right now, it is only on Groovy, which I think is not a too popular language."

What is our primary use case?

I use it for automated testing. I am not using the latest version because their patches come out rather quickly. I can't patch as quickly.

What is most valuable?

I like the feature where you can define a model that represents your website and then reuse the components from the model. It makes creating more test cases easy.

What needs improvement?

Other than that, we would want to see new features in every update. We would welcome any kind of improvement in terms of performance, etc.

I have been using this solution for a year.

Katalon Studio
August 2022
Learn what your peers think about Katalon Studio. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: August 2022.
622,063 professionals have used our research since 2012.

Its stability and performance are okay and acceptable.

I am not in a good position to comment on this because I didn't try that out. Currently, we have less than 50 users.

They are pretty good. They did address my problem. I am satisfied with their support.

It is actually a complex setup. If you want to do it in a good and sustainable way, it is complex to create a model, but if you want to just test things out and very quickly try out this product, then it is easy to get started. So, it is complex to create something that is sustainable.

Overall, it took about one and a half to two months, which included many test cases implementations. The setup was done within a week.

It does require maintenance, but the maintenance of the server is up to your company policy. It depends on how often you patch your server, and how often you upgrade Java. The maintenance of the test scripts depends on how quickly the product changes. So, it varies.

I was using help from the proprietary vendor.

Its pricing is quite reasonable. If you require their help in getting started, then there is a professional services fee on top of the product license cost.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend engaging Katalon's services to get started. They do render pretty good help on it.

I would rate Katalon Studio an eight out of 10.

Consultant at Unifonic
Very user-friendly with a great self-healing plug-in feature; lacks integration with other software
  • "User-friendly and a good solution."
  • "Katalon lacks integration with other software, including integrating other languages like .NET and PHP."

What is our primary use case?

I'm a senior software test automation engineer and we are customers of Katalon.

What is most valuable?

This solution is good for us. It's easy to use and a good product. I like the self-healing plug-in feature which, as far as I am aware, is not available in any other product on the market.

What needs improvement?

Katalon lacks integration ability with other software, including integrating other languages like .NET and PHP. I've also had issues with new releases as the system often crashes and the previous version is no longer supported on a particular feature. More testing needs to be carried out before new versions are released. I'd like to be able to export our test system to any other product. This is currently not possible. Finally, the product only supports XPath and not CSS. CSS is faster than XPath and most companies want to use it. There are a lot of solutions on the market and if an end-user has too many problems with a product, they will jump to a new one.

I've been using this solution for two years.

Stability is one of the main issues with the system crashing if there's a new release that hasn't been sufficiently tested. The fixes can come after a couple of days but sometimes it can take a couple of months.

The solution is scalable.

I haven't used the support for a while but they were good. The community is also very helpful.

I previously worked with Selenium WebDriver and also with Ranorex.

The cost is on the high side and it would be helpful if there were two packages available with a distinction made between the standard features most companies are looking for at a cheaper cost and a second, more expensive license option for those wanting additional features such as auto exports. If Katalon were to do this, I think more of the smaller companies would be interested in using the solution.

What other advice do I have?

I rate this solution seven out of 10.

Katalon Studio
August 2022
622,063 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Cesar-Rosas - PeerSpot reviewer
Practice Director - QA and SW Testing Services at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
MSP
Complete solution for testing on a variety of platforms
  • "Our clients have requested by all types of testing, including mobile, desktop, and API testing and all of those are covered by Katalon. I find that very valuable, very complete."
  • "I've seen that our clients are not truly aware of the power behind Katalon."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use is for web automation.

We are an IT consulting services company. As part of our services, we provide testing services. That is why we are constantly looking for some tools and frameworks that might fit with our clients' needs.

We call ourselves agnostic, which means we are not going to be with only one provider. However, I've seen very powerful things behind the Katalon.

What is most valuable?

I find Katalon Studio to be a very complete product. Our clients have requested all types of testing, including mobile, desktop, and API testing and all of those are covered by Katalon. I find that very valuable, very complete.

What needs improvement?

I've seen that our clients are not truly aware of the power behind Katalon. Many of the clients are now ready for the traditional Selenium, perhaps a more friendly layer like Cucumber or SpecFlow. But I think they will understand if we start doing automation with Katalon and they would be much more interested. The automation developers are starting to have really high demand and the salaries have increased, so with Katalon they might be interested in two things - the velocity of testing plus bringing manual testing to the automation world.

I have been using Katalon Studio for about a half year, now. I use it for demo purposes with our clients.

We previously utilized Katalon for demo purposes. We also used Selenium, not Selenium HQ, but Selenium alone. And I think we are utilizing Cypress and Cucumber with Selenium, in different flavors of languages, et cetera.

I haven't precisely checked the business model behind Katalon, and I would like to understand that as well, because most of our clients ask for licenses and prices, and we don't know. From my understanding, the basic version is free, but it would be interesting to understand the full package.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale of one to ten, I would give Katalon Studio an 8.

Nadia Zaman - PeerSpot reviewer
Software Quality Assurance Engineer at a computer software company with 201-500 employees
Easy to deploy and not hard to learn, but keeps on crashing on Linux and is a bit slow
  • "It has been good so far for API testing on Mac. It is not that hard to learn and use. There is so much support out there, so if anyone wants to start using it, there is enough help."
  • "Currently, I'm the only one who can use it because I have a Mac. It is giving a hard time to my team members who are on Linux. My team members are using Linux, and Katalon doesn't support Linux very well. It keeps on crashing. It crashes and shuts down almost every time they save their work, so they are not able to use it. It should have good support for Linux. We don't know what the problem is. If the Katalon team can pick up this issue, it will be very helpful."

What is our primary use case?

We are using it for API testing. I am just running it from my local machine. I am using it just locally.

What is most valuable?

It has been good so far for API testing on Mac. It is not that hard to learn and use. There is so much support out there, so if anyone wants to start using it, there is enough help.

What needs improvement?

It is a bit slow. The other tools on my Mac are not slow, but Katalon is slow.

It has been more than six months.

I worked on Postman, but for RPA automation, I just started working with Katalon.

It was easy. I just had to double-click on Mac.

I am using the free version.

What other advice do I have?

It should support all operating systems. Most of the developers use a Linux machine, but it doesn't support Linux. I would like an update from the Katalon team about why it is not working properly on a Linux machine.

I would rate it a six out of 10. It is a good product, but it needs some improvements.

Bary Reyes - PeerSpot reviewer
Technical Project Lead, Agile Coach, IT Educator at Asia Pacific College
Stable and good for API and continuous integration testing
  • "It is good for API testing. It is also good for continuous integration testing. You can connect it to Jenkins."
  • "It would be helpful if they can integrate a feature for performance testing."

What is our primary use case?

We're using it for API testing. It is deployed on my desktop.

What is most valuable?

It is good for API testing. It is also good for continuous integration testing. You can connect it to Jenkins.

What needs improvement?

I believe it would a great feature if they could integrate JMETER and other performance testing tools so that Katalon would become an all-in-one test automation tool

I have been using this solution for almost two years.

It is a reliable solution.

I have not scaled it or used any plug-in. Currently, we have less than five users of this product.

I haven't contacted their technical support because everything is okay.

It wasn't complex.

We are using the free version. We plan on getting a paid version because there is a limitation in terms of the number of users. We want to maximize it.

What other advice do I have?

It is a mature product, and it is a good starting point for beginners. It is pretty much similar to the other tools in the market.

I would rate Katalon Studio an eight out of 10. It is not perfect, but it is an excellent tool.

Download our free Katalon Studio Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: August 2022