Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

IBM Business Automation Workflow OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

IBM Business Automation Workflow is #9 ranked solution in BPM Software. PeerSpot users give IBM Business Automation Workflow an average rating of 8.4 out of 10. IBM Business Automation Workflow is most commonly compared to IBM BPM: IBM Business Automation Workflow vs IBM BPM. IBM Business Automation Workflow is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 72% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a financial services firm, accounting for 22% of all views.

Download the Business Process Management (BPM) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is IBM Business Automation Workflow?

IBM Business Automation Workflow combines business process management and case management capabilities in one workflow solution. It integrates the capabilities of business process and case management into a single workflow offering. It unites information, process, and users to provide a 360-degree view of work to drive more successful optimized business outcomes. IBM Business Automation Workflow on Cloud provides the same capabilities that are offered in the IBM Business Automation Workflow offering, all within a ready-to-use, cloud-based environment that is hosted in IBM Cloud data centers and managed by IBM.

IBM Business Automation Workflow was previously known as Business Automation Workflow.

IBM Business Automation Workflow Customers

Key Bank, Barclays, Control€xpert, MIR Insurance Brokers, Conqord Oil

IBM Business Automation Workflow Video

IBM Business Automation Workflow Pricing Advice

What users are saying about IBM Business Automation Workflow pricing:
  • "Licensing varies by use-case."
  • "IBM Business Automation Workflow has a flexible pricing mode, but the price is expensive. The price of the solution reflects the quality of the solution which is very high. The technical support is an additional cost."
  • "When you compare with Laserfiche and M-Files, IBM is expensive."
  • IBM Business Automation Workflow Reviews

Suresh Thota - PeerSpot reviewer
    Enterprise Architect/Enterprise Digital Solution Architecture at Mashreq
    Offers the ability to create a case file identification
    • "It provides a solution for integration orchestration. This solution is for any organization in the banking, telecommunications, healthcare, manufacturing, and all domains and industries."
    • "The initial setup is actually a really complicated process."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is completely banking driven. We select the account to open, determine the complimenting and storage core, cooperate on their calls, do analysis for the core customer, uphold compliance policy and anti money laundering payments, and all the functions we define in the process.

Currently, we are using it on-premises with a roadmap for into the cloud. We call that the private cloud, because this is a bank space so we are not going to the public cloud due to regulations and compliance policy.

What is most valuable?

The features that we have found most notable are similar to what we have with IBM BPM. Because we have done the automation so that when a document comes from the customer as a soft copy, there is an optical character reader ensuring that the data will be integrated with the BPM. We thought of the human interaction, checking everything, and you can create a case file identification like in BPM.

What needs improvement?

From the optimization perspective, this is better than what we have currently with BPM where we are also doing automation. We can move where the cash mechanism and the external cash mechanism are, where we put the cluster to a policy, where the service will be available. Even when service fails, it will be taken within a cluster of seconds, as things are on the optimization solution provided by the BAW.

Other improvements include a couple of reusable artifacts. These were not there with BPM and now BAW provides that.

We've got a list of features that feed from IBM. We get them on a weekly basis in the subscriptions. These are the benefits we are getting from IBM - small snapshots level, how you are going to deploy automation, integrated data set ups. That is a pipeline where you can do automation, the process for operational specifications, where it goes to the end-to-end automation process level.

A lot depends upon the customer. Let's say a customer wants to get a good system where you can crop in and automate the process, that feature was not available in IBM. So we spoke to them and they released the setup for tax availability for BAW. We are working on features based on our requirement specifications.

IBM Business Automation Workflow is a new solution that we implemented four months ago.

Business Process Management (BPM)
    September 2022
    Find out what your peers are saying about IBM, Apache, Camunda and others in Business Process Management (BPM). Updated: September 2022.
    635,162 professionals have used our research since 2012.

This is a new product, so we are getting a couple of bugs on the product level. We have spoken to IBM and it's up to the product vendor to provide product complications, like deployment snapshots and where we have automation in the process. We keep talking to the IBM guys to write a PMR and get it refurnished.

We use the auto-scaling mechanism. So maybe the volume is too high for utilization and we use the load balancing, distributing the load balancing to multi-use cloud packages. We use that for the availability.

The solution is being used country-wide. That means five to eight million people use it on a daily basis. Globally, we implemented it for the National Bank because it exists across all the countries and all the 128 branches in the different countries.

In terms of scalability, we have implemented auto-scaling. There are on-premises flows, and on-prem/cloud users, and settings on the IBM cloud.

Customer service is good. It's the leader from a customer service perspective.

Before using BAW, I was using BPM for development, designing architecture, and providing a solution for the automation workflow process. I worked on automation without manual interactions.

The initial setup is actually a really complicated process. We did the proper enterprise access to the server. Then we have the front desk, principal, policies, standard regulations, practice assessments, and the architecture, then with the business IT, the whole concept is complex.

We have two types of set ups, micro-services and services in the interaction section. For the services in the interaction section we use the IBM Integration but for the micro-services we use IBM Connect.

We don't have other costs, except for license and support. If you buy the software you can get one year support free of cost. When it is upgrading the PMR and product level issues, there are technical discussions with the vendors. So those things are free of cost provided by the vendors.

We evaluated a couple of vendors like Pega, and Oracle BPM. We evaluated four vendors. We choose IBM at end of the day for their support team, costs, and availability. These factors are a concern for a vendor from a traceability metric perspective. We chose IBM since it is available for implementation and we already have an agreement with them as partners.

What other advice do I have?

IBM Business Automation Workflow is a good tool provided you can use it cross-platform where there are a lot of features. Another good thing, which other products, like Pega and Oracle don't have, is that it is a very optimizing solution providing the IBM BPM process orchestration.

On a scale of one to ten, I would give IBM Business Automation Workflow a nine.

Since I have been working with multiple vendors on multiple projects in the billion dollar  project range, I see that it works for end-to-end functionality.

It provides a solution for integration orchestration. This solution is for any organization in the banking, telecommunications, healthcare, manufacturing, and all domains and industries.

CTO at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Low-code, customizable solution for asset management
    • "This is a low-code software where you can just drag and drop on the user interface. There are also a lot of quality integrations such as TMS."
    • "The SCADA Systems are very sophisticated and have a hard time integrating with our older scales. The technical support in regards to the partner side needs some improvement."

What is our primary use case?

My company is a gold partner with IBM and implement this solution for our clients. At the moment, we have two projects that are using this solution. One is using the solution for asset and green management for wheat in Egypt. We have four hundred silos. Each has its own process for loading and discharging the wheat to the mill - this is all managed with IBM BAW. Our headquarters also uses BAW to manage wheat transfers.

How has it helped my organization?

The low-code interface allows us to focus on the business and the rules. But, even though it is low-code, we are able to customize it via JavaScript.

What needs improvement?

The technical support in regards to the partner side needs some improvement.

I have been working with this solution for three and a half years.

This is a stable solution that we have been able to use as a distributed system. Each silo works independently and updates are all pushed to the cloud. In the event that there is a shortage in communication, the silo is able to operate completely independently from the headquarters.

This is a very scalable solution.

The technical support based upon the licenses for the client is very professional, dedicated, and very fast.

We are still working on the initial setup. we are in the first stage which is deploying our most important silos (twenty to twenty one of the four hundred total). The whole process will take us about eight months for all four hundred. We have support engineers that are available on-site 24/7 for the first stage, from there, everything will be managed remotely.

There are between eight and ten engineers working on this product for the development, four to sic system administrators/database engineers, plus roughly twenty team members for QC/QA.

Licensing varies by use-case.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution an eight our of ten.

Private Cloud

Other
    Business Process Management (BPM)
    September 2022
    635,162 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Duy_Nguyen - PeerSpot reviewer
    DeveloperDeveloper at HPT Vietnam
    MSP
    Plenty of features, flexible pricing model, and scalable
    • "IBM Business Automation Workflow is stable because the different infrastructure elements, such as the OS and middleware have been used for a long time."
    • "IBM Business Automation Workflow can improve UI flexibility and integration. Additionally, the solutions from IBM have to provide a paperless solution, allowing for digital versions of documents."

What is our primary use case?

IBM Business Automation Workflow is used for the financial sector like the loan management process cycle. It is not worth to use for simple process.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of IBM Business Automation Workflow is plenty of functionality.

What needs improvement?

IBM Business Automation Workflow can improve UI flexibility and integration. Additionally, the solutions from IBM should provide more solution on paper template auto generation and digitize paper templates, allowing for digital versions of documents.

In a future release, they should focus on improving current functionality rather than adding new features. Existing features are enough.

I have been using IBM Business Automation Workflow for approximately six years.

The stability of IBM Business Automation Workflow is a four out of five

The scalability of IBM Business Automation Workflow is very good.

I rate the scalability of IBM Business Automation Workflow a four out of five.

In my customer's companies, there are approximately 200 to 500 people using the solution. All the positions of the financial sector employees are using it.

The support I experienced was good.

I rate the support from IBM Business Automation Workflow a four out of five.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

The initial setup of IBM Business Automation Workflow is not simple. It's quite complicated, but it's acceptable because if you want a solution to adapt to an enterprise on demand, it must be complicated. The full deployment takes approximately six months to one year to complete.

We have 20 people for the deployment of IBM Business Automation Workflow.

I have found the return on investment good.

I rate the return on investment of IBM Business Automation Workflow a four out of five.

I rate the price of IBM Business Automation Workflow a four out of five.

What other advice do I have?

I rate IBM Business Automation Workflow a nine out of ten.

Sajida Akhtar - PeerSpot reviewer
    Dy Chief .Engineer at a government with 10,001+ employees
    Flexible and stable, but it needs a better dashboard and user-friendly features
    • "It's a flexible solution."
    • "I feel that the features are not user-friendly."

What is our primary use case?

We are in the initial stages and using general approvals in the office within the departments that move through this system.

What is most valuable?

It's a flexible solution.

What needs improvement?

I feel that the features are not user-friendly. For small things, we contact the consultants.

There should be some reporting feature for data access, as well as easy dashboards.

There are third-party reporting features available, and IBM's own reporting features, but they are much more expensive.

In the next release, they should have a good dashboard.

We have been working with IBM Business Automation Workflow for two years.

We are using the latest version.

It is a stable product. We have not had any issues.

We are still in the initial phases and not that many people are using it. We have not faced any issues with scalability.

We have between 30 to 50 users in our organization. We plan to continue using this solution.

We are trying to roll-out company-wide with the next couple of years and move towards IBM Business Automation.

Currently, we have a contract with the consultant and we do not need support from the vendor.

Previously, we did not use another solution. Most of what was used were manual.

We have a small team of three to four in-house and the consultant has a team of four to five.

The installation was done through a consultant.

There are licensing fees.

When you compare with Laserfiche and M-Files, IBM is expensive.

What other advice do I have?

We being a government organization, our options are to select the product to open bidding.

At this time this product is being rolled out in the initial phase of implementation with the intention of going company-wide. So at this point, it's too early to switch to some other product.

This is a product that I would recommend to others who are interested in using it.

I would rate IBM Business Automation Workflow a seven out of ten.

VamsiKrishna2 - PeerSpot reviewer
    Software Trainee at Eidiko
    Useful custom user interface design, reliable, and simple installation

What is our primary use case?

We are using IBM Business Automation Workflow for banking applications.

What is most valuable?

IBM Business Automation Workflow is useful for helping us design custom user interfaces and processes we require.

What needs improvement?

IBM Business Automation Workflow could improve the integration.

I have been using IBM Business Automation Workflow for approximately one year.

IBM Business Automation Workflow is very stable.

We have approximately 200 people using IBM Business Automation Workflow in my organization. We do not plan to increase the usage.

I have never needed to call the support.

The installation of IBM Business Automation Workflow is easy and straightforward. Anyone would be able to do it. If the person does not have any knowledge it could take them 45 minutes to complete. However, if have some knowledge of the basics you can do the implementation in approximately fifteen minutes.

We can manage the solution ourselves.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend this solution to others.

I rate IBM Business Automation Workflow a nine out of ten.

Suresh-Thota - PeerSpot reviewer
    Enterprise Architect at Mashreq
    Tightly integrated with the RPA automation process which has a lot of good features
    • "This product is tightly integrated with the RPA automation process."
    • "Requires a lot of customization code writing which could be reduced."

What is our primary use case?

We are IBM partners and I'm an enterprise architect.

What is most valuable?

This product is tightly integrated with the RPA automation process which has a lot of good features. They have recently made some enhancements and added new features.

What needs improvement?

There are several areas where improvements could be made including with engagement of OCR capabilities. We currently need to write a lot of customization code and I think if that could be reduced it would improve performance. A similar solution like Pega doesn't require that level of code writing.

I've been using this solution for 11 years.

The solution is stable. IBM leads when it comes to automation.

The customer service is very good, we're happy with it.

Compare to other solutions, the licensing costs are reasonable.

What other advice do I have?

I rate this solution eight out of 10.

Download our free Business Process Management (BPM) Report and find out what your peers are saying about IBM, Apache, Camunda, and more!
    Updated: September 2022