Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

HPE Hyper Converged OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

HPE Hyper Converged is #14 ranked solution in HCI Software. PeerSpot users give HPE Hyper Converged an average rating of 9.2 out of 10. HPE Hyper Converged is most commonly compared to VxRail: HPE Hyper Converged vs VxRail. HPE Hyper Converged is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 60% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 20% of all views.

Download the HCI Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is HPE Hyper Converged?

HPE Hyper Converged solutions combine intuitive software with the reliability of a world class platform to deliver cloud-like simplicity to your business.

Now, IT can become an internal service provider to end-users by quickly delivering the resources they need for application development and consumption. With HPE Hyper Converged systems companies can operate with cloud efficiency to simplify IT operations with one comprehensive control panel to deploy, monitor, analyze and update – with a single generalist; consume with cloud flexibility to deliver a cloud-like experience, with multi-tenant workspaces that eliminate stranded resources and flexes on demand; and deploy at cloud speed to empower developers and lines-of-business with a self-service portal that can instantly compose and recompose VMs in minutes. Built-in enterprise grade features, such as performance and resiliency enable HPE Hyper Converged systems to easily handle a wide variety of virtualized workloads, including general purpose virtualization, virtual desktop infrastructure (VDI), and cloud.

HPE Hyper Converged was previously known as HPE Hyper Converged 380, HPE Hyper Converged 250, HPE Hyper Converged 250 for Microsoft CPS.

HPE Hyper Converged Customers

North Lindsey College, FireWhat?, HudsonAlpha

HPE Hyper Converged Video

HPE Hyper Converged Pricing Advice

What users are saying about HPE Hyper Converged pricing:
"If I'm comparing with Dell, HPE Hyper Converged is definitely cheaper in my experience."

HPE Hyper Converged Reviews

General Manager at a computer software company with 11-50 employees
High performance that gives an advantage over traditional virtualization
  • "There are multiple advantages. Typically, being an all-flash storage, which is available through either SimpliVity or dHCI, the performance is much better because the IOPS goes high, so it's more powerful in terms of performance. Secondly, if I'm talking of SimpliVity Hyper Convergence solution from HPE, unlike the competition, even if three hard drives fail, you are still running the solution."
  • "In the Hyper Converged environment, some of the brands only support the OS VMware and not Hyper-V from Microsoft or even Red Hat or KVM."

What is our primary use case?

With the primary data center of clients where we do virtualization, Hyper Convergence basically gives them a little advantage over the traditional virtualization. The solution is used on-premise.

What is most valuable?

There are multiple advantages. Typically, being an all-flash storage, which is available through either SimpliVity or dHCI, the performance is much better because the IOPS goes high. It's more powerful in terms of performance. Secondly, if I'm talking about the SimpliVity Hyper Convergence solution from HPE, unlike the competition, even if three hard drives fail, you are still running the solution. With the competition, if two hard drives fail, they're out of the picture. Whereas with HPE Hyper Converged, in each node, even if three hard drives go down, they're better. There's continuity.

What needs improvement?

In the Hyper Converged environment, some of the brands only support the OS VMware and not Hyper-V from Microsoft or even Red Hat or KVM. I'm specifically talking about certain propositions in the dHCI that only support VMware as the Hypervisor. They could have all different layers of Hypervisors, like the KVM or X, Y, Z.

Currently dHci Nimble offers only VMware as native hypervisor and will be great if it can support others  like Red Hat, KVM etc too. Although this is not a limitation as one can install Red Hat & other operating systems as a Virtual machine on top of VMware hypervisor.

I have been using HPE Hyper Converged for more than five years now.

September 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Hewlett Packard Enterprise, Dell Technologies, Nutanix and others in HCI. Updated: September 2022.
633,184 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The solution is very stable. I haven't seen any failures with the deployments we have in the Hyper Convergence environment.

If I talk about HPE Enterprise SimpliVity, the scalability is there because you can add on nodes. If you're talking about the Converged level, there could be a lot of improvements because if I do an upgrade on one node, I need to do that similarly on the second node, which increases costs.

The support layer from HPE is pretty good. If you are purchasing that from HPE Enterprise at the time of purchasing the equipment, the support is pretty smooth.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

Initial setup is pretty easy. It's not that complicated.

If I'm comparing the solution with Dell, HPE Hyper Converged is definitely cheaper in my experience.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution 8 out of 10.

dSCI is Disaggregated Hyper Convergence. For the existing investment that a customer has done on a HPE platform, for example, they don't need to throw away that investment because they can re-utilize them in the dHCI configuration. Secondly, it's more scalable at the component level. That means I can upgrade when required for storage or computing needs separately. I don't need to do the same, like what they used to do in SimpliVity.

Until recently, I was selling HPE SimpliVity. After dHCI has come in the picture with Nimble, we started promoting that because they have better features. When it comes to Hyper Convergence only, the features in SimpliVity and dHCI are different.

Ayub Mohammed - PeerSpot reviewer
Solutions Architect at Ingram Micro
MSP
It's easier to manage and performs better than traditional infrastructure.
  • "Hyper Converge is easier to manage and performs better than traditional infrastructure."
  • "We have faced some challenges when upgrading. With Hyper Converged, you have to fully upgrade because there are no incremental upgrades available in this solution. For example, let's say we have two nodes. If we want to upgrade storage, we also need to upgrade computing. That means a full upgrade EME."

What is our primary use case?

These days, most of our customers prefer Hyper Converged because of its performance and because it's an all-in-one solution. It's easier to manage. Our current client has 200 users.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

We have faced some challenges when upgrading. With Hyper Converged, you have to fully upgrade because there are no incremental upgrades available in this solution. For example, let's say we have two nodes. If we want to upgrade storage, we also need to upgrade computing. That means a full upgrade EME.

We have been using Hyper Converged for nearly four years.

Hyper Converged is highly stable because it's installed on our VMware platform. It's well designed and integrated with our Hypervisor software.

Hyper Converged is scalable but there are some complications.  If we want to scale, we have to scale to the full capacity. We cannot go for granular upgrades. You can mention that we can upgrade, but for scalability, we need to add more notes. There is no granular options to upgrade the system.

What other advice do I have?

I rate HPE Hyper Converged eight out of 10. I rate Hyper Converged eight because there are still some competing solutions doing better than HPE on Gartner's Magic Quadrant.

September 2022
633,184 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Directors at Eglobe infra solutions
Reseller
A solution that improves profit margins to achieve breakthrough results

What is our primary use case?

We like that HPE Hyper Converged requires only information about the solution.

It provides unmatched performance, productivity and reliability, and its HPC technologies and workflow provide downtime and increase the technology. It is an investment that improves profit margins to achieve breakthrough results.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution has optimized utilization and efficiency that simplifies the administrations for the cluster and close and supercomputers. It is also beneficial to maintain the HPC workload.

What is most valuable?

We like the fact that it is reliable.

What needs improvement?

This solution is very costly.

We have been using this solution for about three years.

It is a stable solution.

The scalability is fair.

We have had no issues with the technical support.

What other advice do I have?

I rate this solution eight out of ten.

RommelViloria - PeerSpot reviewer
Director of Technology at WinSoft IT, C.A.
Easy to manage, great tools and very reasonably priced
  • "Reasonably priced and easy to manage for small to medium size companies that don't have an IT department."
  • "Scalability requires using additional nodes."

What is our primary use case?

We are partners with HPE.

What is most valuable?

The solution is reasonably priced and easy to manage for the smaller to medium size business companies where they don't need an IT department. HPE is a great company with a great product. All the tools that we use on a daily basis are great. We can use configuration tools that HPE provides for sizing the solutions to our clients, and they have several tools to gather information from our data centers which don't cost.

What needs improvement?

The downside of the solution is the scalability because they grow using nodes, but it's not desegregate. If you want to add more computers or more space, you need to add another node. It's the only negative in the solution.

I've been using HPE products for the past 20 years.

What other advice do I have?

I rate this product a 10 out of 10.

JimJohansson - PeerSpot reviewer
Infrastructure architect at Forsakringskassan
Provides great backup resolution updates

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for infrastructure and VDI environment. I'm an infrastructure architect.

What is most valuable?

I like the backup resolution updates.

What needs improvement?

I think the solution could be more secure and more economical.

I've been using this solution for four years.

The solution is stable.

The customer support for HPE is good, I'm happy with it.

I deployed the solution and it was straightforward. Deployment time depends on the customer's network. We work with integrators to implement in other organizations and there can be anywhere between 30 and 12,000 users. The solution requires one maintenance person.

What other advice do I have?

I rate this solution 10 out of 10.

Systems Engineer-Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Stable and manageable solution

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case is as an all-in-one solution for SMB.

What is most valuable?

The features I've found most valuable are manageability, integrated backup solution SimpliVity, and deep integration.

What needs improvement?

An area for improvement would be the ease of installation and setup.

I've been working with this solution for a number of years.

I have not heard of any concerns or issues with stability.

Technical support is fairly good.

Installation takes anywhere from a few days to weeks.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution eight out of ten.

Download our free HCI Report and find out what your peers are saying about Hewlett Packard Enterprise, Dell Technologies, Nutanix, and more!
Updated: September 2022