We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why

Google Cloud Identity OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Google Cloud Identity is #4 ranked solution in top Identity and Access Management as a Service providers and #8 ranked solution in top Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) tools. PeerSpot users give Google Cloud Identity an average rating of 8 out of 10. Google Cloud Identity is most commonly compared to Microsoft Intune: Google Cloud Identity vs Microsoft Intune. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 27% of all views.
What is Google Cloud Identity?

Cloud Identity is an Identity as a Service (IDaaS) and enterprise mobility management (EMM) product. It offers the identity services and endpoint administration that are available in G Suite as a stand-alone product. As an administrator, you can use Cloud Identity to manage your users, apps, and devices from a central location - the Google Admin console.

Google Cloud Identity was previously known as Cloud Identity, Cloud Identity Premium.

Download the Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2022

Google Cloud Identity Customers

ExtraHop Networks, HealthChannels

Google Cloud Identity Video

Google Cloud Identity Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Google Cloud Identity pricing:
  • "When I worked on Cloud Identity, they offered a free or enterprise version. You can synchronize and create up to 100 user identities in the free version. After that, you have to purchase a business or enterprise license. In that model, you'll be charged based on the number of users."
  • "The fees are paid monthly and there are no additional costs other than the licensing fees."
  • Google Cloud Identity Reviews

Santhosh-Reddy
    Cloud engineer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    You don't need much expertise or previous experience to work with it
    • "One of the most useful features was the single sign-on. You can use it as an identity provider or service provider. And you can use their organization unit feature to enable or disable some of the features for a specific group of users."
    • "If you want to set up some alerts, you don't have much control over the configuration. You have to use their default alerts. And they only provide alerts for certain activities, so you cannot customize those. Monitoring isn't very helpful either."

What is our primary use case?

In my previous project, we were designing and implementing a cloud foundation for a US-based pharma customer. We set up  Google Cloud Platform for them and used Cloud Identity to manage their end-users. We synchronized directly with Cloud Identity using the Google Cloud Directory Synchronization tool. That allowed us to synchronize user identities from the Microsoft Active Directory to Cloud Identity. We also synchronized Active Directory-based groups to Google Cloud then mapped the users to the groups and used those groups to assign high-end policies on the Google Cloud Platform. We also configured the Cloud Identity Single Sign-On service to enable the end-users to use their Active Directory credentials to log into the Identity Cloud platform via a single sign-on.

What is most valuable?

Cloud Identity is user-friendly. You don't need much expertise or previous experience with Cloud Identity to work with it. It's a simple user interface, and the configuration is pretty straightforward. You can look at the GUI and figure out what you want to do. It's intuitive to use.

One of the most useful features was the single sign-on. You can use it as an identity provider or service provider. And you can use their organization unit feature to enable or disable some of the features for a specific group of users. For example, suppose you don't want to enable or disable a particular feature for only some users. In that case, you can create an organization unit, and you can set the policies on that specific organization unit.

I also found the groups feature valuable. Google recommends that enterprises use groups instead of directly managing the high-end policies for individual identities. And the GCDS tool is beneficial as well. You can schedule it to run whenever you'd like so that it automatically connects with your active directory, and the target is the Cloud Identity. It just synchronizes the users, groups, or whatever else you choose.

What needs improvement?

One area where Cloud Identity has room for improvement is monitoring and alerts. If you want to set up some alerts, you don't have much control over the configuration. You have to use their default alerts. And they only provide alerts for certain activities, so you cannot customize those. Monitoring isn't very helpful either. If I have four or five administrators, I would like to know what they're doing and monitor their activity. Unfortunately, I have to navigate through so many areas to monitor them.

In the free version, I can only manage up to 100 identities. That isn't limited in the premium version, but I would like to manage more identities in the free tier. Also, you cannot use any business features in the free version.

I have worked on Cloud Identity for almost a year. My most recent experience was around one or two months back. Currently, I'm not using it that much, but I worked with it extensively in the past.

Cloud Identity's stability is great.

If you want to scale up, you need to purchase a business license. You have to buy the business license for a large number of users, and they'll charge you based on that.

The technical support documentation was quite helpful. If you contact support directly, they will assist you in setting up anything you find difficult, but it is a long process. You cannot expect a reply immediately. You have to wait one or two hours.

I have a little experience with Active Directory, but not much with other cloud-based identity providers. Cloud Identity is a cloud-based Software as a Service model, so you don't need to worry about managing the infrastructure. That is one advantage. Active Directory is just software you install on your own Windows VM or Windows Server and manage. You need some technical expertise to install, configure, and manage the Active Directory, whereas Cloud Identity is straightforward. If you have a little bit of experience with IT, you can handle it. You don't need a lot of technical expertise to work on Cloud Identity.

It is cloud-based Software as a Service model, so you don't need to provision anything on your own. You sign up like any G Suite service. Once you sign up for Cloud Identity using your domain, you must verify that you own the domain. It's straightforward after that. One person is enough to manage Cloud Identity, but you can have two or three people for availability purposes. It took one or two hours to get it deployed. I just had to coordinate with the domain admin guy. Aside from managing the end-users, there isn't much maintenance. It's SaaS, so Google manages all the infrastructure for you.

When I worked on Cloud Identity, they offered a free or enterprise version. You can synchronize and create up to 100 user identities in the free version. After that, you have to purchase a business or enterprise license. In that model, you'll be charged based on the number of users. I don't remember exactly how much they charge per user.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Cloud Identity eight out of 10. If you're considering Cloud Identity, I say go ahead and try it. It's a great, simple tool to manage your identities. You can just integrate it with your existing directory solutions, and it works pretty well.

CEO at a legal firm with 1-10 employees
    Reseller
    Good on every point.
    • "Google is always on its own. Google Cloud Identity is pretty good on every point."
    • "The one place it could be improved is the password vaulting. The password vaulting does not prevent the admins from reading users' passwords, and that's a debate."

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The one place it could be improved is the password vaulting. The password vaulting does not prevent the admins from reading users' passwords, and that's a debate.

Some say, if you're an employee and you goof up or something happens, your admin should be able to see your password. In my world - no. If I goof up my admin should be able to reset my passwords but not see what they were. If I want to use the name of my dog plus numbers, he doesn't need to read that. He just needs to reset it. That's a distinction. We call it zero trust. Password vaulting should not allow the admin the possibility to read. I made the observation to Google and they said, "Well, yes, but it's logged," and that's not good enough.

The fact that the super admin was able to read all of my passwords and that it's logged, the log is only for the super admin - he is the only person that reads them and which will have the log that he read them.

Besides the password vaulting, it works fine. It's just that security notion that I'm not comfortable with. So I'm using a password manager, hence LastPass when password vaulting is required.

In the next release, we need to clean up the console for the admin. In the three years that I am using it, I think I'm up to my sixth version. This is proof that if they change the console so much, it's because they keep on trying to improve it.

What they need to improve, clearly, is the zero trust enrollment for Chrome OS devices. They are getting there, but they need to keep on improving it. So zero trust enrollment to make it super smooth, buttery smooth.

I have been using Google Cloud Identity nearly since it came out, so more than two years, perhaps three. The full name is Google Cloud Identity Premium.

I'm using LastPass Enterprise and Saaspass in the same field, and Google Cloud Identity Premium. Those are my three go-to products now.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale of one to ten, I would rate Google Cloud Identity a nine because of its password vaulting. Also, it does what Okta does but for many more zeros on the invoice.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Reseller (SSP)
    Find out what your peers are saying about Google, Microsoft, VMware and others in Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM). Updated: January 2022.
    566,121 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    IVAN NOVIKOV
    CEO at Wallarm
    Stable solution that manages users centrally, but needs integration with different systems
    • "The most valuable feature is that you can manage users from one central location."
    • "In the next release, I would like to see integration with different systems, mainly wireless SIEMS and other analytical systems that we want to introduce."

What is our primary use case?

This is a very specific solution. The primary use case of this solution is to manage users. It's only used in one way unless there is an alteration to it.

What is most valuable?

Everything is relatively good and overall, the product itself is good.

What needs improvement?

It would be good if they dealt with Unity Accounting, which would allow companies to pay in different ways.

I have been using this solution for four years.

This solution is very stable, it's good.

It's a cloud solution. It's scalable.

We have approximately five IT users, some administrators in addition to other users who are connected and just using the space.

We are using this solution daily, but don't plan to increase the usage as it's enough for us as it is.

We have not contacted technical support.

We did not use another solution previously. We just started to use Google because I think that Google is great.

The initial setup is straightforward and simple.

It took less than a month to deploy and only requires one person to deploy and maintain.

We did not use a vendor, integrator or consultant. We implemented this solution ourselves.

Before we chose Google Cloud Identity, we evaluated Azure.

What other advice do I have?

My advice is to understand in detail what exactly you need from this solution because every case could be different. Even if the main use case is the same, your current requirements could be different, specifically the security requirements. If you want to achieve more from the GDPR then you have to choose a provider in Europe.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Solutions Specialist at Software One Indonesia
    Easy to set up with good integration capabilities but has a bit of a complex interface
    • "It's easy to set up."
    • "Technical support is slow."

What is most valuable?

The solution has a good amount of features.

The product does integrate well with Azure products.

It's easy to set up.

The stability is good.

The solution can scale.

What needs improvement?

If I compare the product with Azure Active Directory, Google is much too complex to integrate. I am more familiar with Microsoft.

It has a bit of a complex interface.

Technical support is slow.

The security is questionable.

I've been dealing with the solution for three or four months at this point. It hasn't been too long.

The stability is very good. There aren't bugs or glitches. it's reliable. it doesn't crash or freeze.

We have found the scalability to be quite good.

In Google, if we want support they are very slow to respond. Microsoft support is much better and far more responsive. We aren't quite as satisfied with Google.

When we want to integrate something with Microsoft, it might take an hour, however, when we want to do something on Google, we'll be trying to reach support for an hour.

I'm also familiar with Microsoft, which I find easier to work with.

For a completely new user and setup, the initial implementation is very straightforward.

As integrators, we can implement the solution for clients.

What other advice do I have?

We're integrators.

In terms of the ecosystem, if the ecosystem there really is no problem with productivity. However,  if they already have a lot of Microsoft, Azure might be better. I'm very happy with Azure. However, as a second option, Cloud Identity is quite good.

I'd rate the solution at a seven out of ten.

Pre-Sales Engineering Manager - Cloud Computing at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
    Good performance, easy to deploy and manage, but the pricing needs to be reduced
    • "The most valuable feature is the performance."
    • "The pricing for this solution is a little bit higher than AWS and others, which is something that should be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We are a technical services company and Google Cloud Identity is part of a project that we are implementing for one of our clients. It is used for access management.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the performance. This is the reason that we chose this solution.

This solution is easy to deploy and manage.

What needs improvement?

This solution has no backup storage included. Having a DR solution included would help to be more competitive with Microsoft.

I have been using Google Cloud Identity for the past two years.

This is a stable solution. Our client's solution has 24/7 availability.

It is easy to expand and add users. Our client has approximately 3,000 users.

We are satisfied with the technical support. When we implemented this solution for our client, the Google technical team supported us.

The initial setup is straightforward. We were able to deploy 25 VMs and we had it done within two hours.

Our client chose this solution because they are using Gmail and other Google products.

What other advice do I have?

We have been recommending Google Cloud Identity to our customers, but they are comparing prices with solutions such as those by Amazon and Microsoft. The prices for those solutions are lower.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Google
    Cloud Solution Engineer at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
    Offers a lot of features like login, vaulted passwords and secure LDAP
    • "I think the first thing that is great is that it gives you a lot of features, like login, and then vaulted passwords and secure LDAP. It becomes easier for the end customer to leverage all those features without going to a higher SKU of G Suite."
    • "They are going ahead and adding a few more things to the Google Cloud premium edition. Their stock management and remote computer management can be improved."

What is most valuable?

We deal with clients who use G Suite and when you want to go for a higher SKU, and you don't have the budget, people generally opting for the Google Cloud Premium. I think the first thing that is great is that it gives you a lot of features, like login, and then vaulted passwords and secure LDAP. It becomes easier for the end customer to leverage all those features without going to a higher SKU of G Suite.

What needs improvement?

We have been using it for the past six to seven months.

Their technical support is great.

The initial setup is quite easy and simple. If you know the product well it won't take you a long time to deploy. We have done it for a few of our customers and we have got good results.

The pricing is also quite competitive. With the amount of features that it offers as a suite, like CIP, because it's a premium product, it offers good pricing with the kind of features it offers.

There are no additional costs to standard licensing.

I would rate it an eight out of ten.

The management of the devices can be improved with more robust handling.

My recommendation of this solution would otally depend upon what the person wants. If Google Cloud Premium fits that, I would always recommend it.

Practical approach when following the steps to deploy
    • "The solution is moderate to difficult to use. I found the approach was practical. Following the steps made it very easy to use."
    • "Google Cloud Identify could make the technology used easier to understand as a layman making it more user-friendly."

What is our primary use case?

We create accounts and manage Google Workspace administrative process.

What needs improvement?

The interface could be more eye-catching so it is more approachable to the user.

I have been using Google Cloud Identity for a few months.

Google Cloud Identity is a scalable solution.

When referring to the help articles I found them not helpful. Support themselves understood my query but the resolution was not satisfactory.

Creating accounts is simple, but further deployment is moderate. Maintenance is all administrative to control accounts.

For small business or independents it is not always affordable.

I considered Microsoft, but because of Google's penetration in the market, it was my preference.

What other advice do I have?

Google Cloud Identity would be very helpful for a small startup or a small office. A company having Workspace accounts on Google, using their services like email, Gmail, and all the drive services is helpful.

I would rate Google Cloud Identity a 7 out of 10.

HEAD IT Infrastructure at a mining and metals company with 10,001+ employees
    It helps us manage application authentication for 3,000 users

What is our primary use case?

We use Cloud Identity for application authentication.

What is most valuable?

All of Cloud Identity's features are quite fine.

What needs improvement?

The interface could be more user-friendly.

I've been using Cloud Identity for three years.

Cloud Identity is stable.

Cloud Identity is scalable enough for our needs. It's serving more than 3,000 users in our organization.

Google support is fantastic.

I can't recall how long the Cloud Identity takes to set up, but it wasn't cumbersome.

What's my experience with

What is our primary use case?

We use Cloud Identity for application authentication.

What is most valuable?

All of Cloud Identity's features are quite fine.

What needs improvement?

The interface could be more user-friendly.

I've been using Cloud Identity for three years.

Cloud Identity is stable.

Google support is fantastic.

The license is yearly, and it's cheap.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Cloud Identity nine out of 10.

Google