Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

Fortinet FortiDDoS OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Fortinet FortiDDoS is #13 ranked solution in top Distributed Denial of Service (DDOS) Protection tools. PeerSpot users give Fortinet FortiDDoS an average rating of 7.0 out of 10. Fortinet FortiDDoS is most commonly compared to Arbor DDoS: Fortinet FortiDDoS vs Arbor DDoS. Fortinet FortiDDoS is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 53% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 21% of all views.

Download the Distributed Denial of Service (DDOS) Protection Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is Fortinet FortiDDoS?

Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) attacks are ever-evolving and use a variety of technologies. To successfully combat these attacks, you need a dynamic, multi-layered security solution. FortiDDoS protects from both known and zero day attacks with very low latency. It’s easy to deploy and manage, and includes comprehensive reporting and analysis tools.

Fortinet FortiDDoS was previously known as Fortinet DDoS, FortiDDos.

Fortinet FortiDDoS Customers

Black Gold Regional Schools, Amadeus Hospitality, Jefferson County, Chunghwa Telecom, City of Boroondara, Dimension Data

Fortinet FortiDDoS Video

Fortinet FortiDDoS Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Fortinet FortiDDoS pricing:
"It's quite pricey."

Fortinet FortiDDoS Reviews

Partenaire, CEO at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Well suited for small businesses, but the setup is complex
  • "We have researched them all, and it's a good solution all around."
  • "The only thing they need to do is to automate it. Today, you must create tools that do not require the use of an expert or anyone with special skills."

What is most valuable?

It's a good solution all around. I believe they are all a good solution. Barracuda, Fortinet, Cloudflare, and Akamai are a few examples. We have researched them all, and it's a good solution all around.

What needs improvement?

The problem today is that there is a shortage of half a million cybersecurity experts in the United States. And now that you have the work, if you want someone to change the rules in your system, you must hire people who do not exist.

There aren't enough Fortinet technicians to go around. There aren't enough Imperva technicians to go around. There aren't enough Cloudflare technicians to go around. There isn't enough. That is why you require a solution that a rookie IT can use in the same way that your iPhone can. Your iPhone is protected by security software. When you buy a new iPhone, you get security and the ability to connect to Facebook, and that's it; you're done. You are not required to check security every day. It should be the same for SMBs.

Today's issue is not one of equipment. It's not the software. It's the HR, and if you don't have an HR to use it. The real question is can a rookie in IT use it? This is the real issue.

The only thing they need to do is to automate it. Today, you must create tools that do not require the use of an expert or anyone with special skills. It must be all integrated, much like the iPhone. Companies do not have the time right now to decide which system they need to protect themselves against, an attack. You don't have enough time.

You must make a purchase quickly, that a five-minute installation, and that's all there is to it, it will get the job done. SMBs will not be found.  Most American businesses do not require Akamai. 98 percent of US businesses do not require Akamai. It's too large and complicated. It also applies to Fortinet and Imperva. You need something simple. It's similar to driving a car. To get from New York to Boston, you don't need a van or a truck, you'll need a vehicle. That's all.

In the event of a DDoS attack, you have no idea what you would have done. I am not a Fortinet expert, but my team and I did some research. We discovered that it is all the same problem. The issue is not with the system itself, Most of the time, those systems are based on outdated technology. Even if it's cloud technology, there are some relics in the back end.

It has nothing to do with your cloud environment. If you want to scale, you have to pay a lot for it. You pay less if you need a small scale.

Distributed Denial of Service (DDOS) Protection
September 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Fortinet, NETSCOUT, Radware and others in Distributed Denial of Service (DDOS) Protection. Updated: September 2022.
632,611 professionals have used our research since 2012.

We have developed a completely new solution. It's hyper-automated, and it's known as cyberdefense.ai. It is completely automated and we created this because the alternative solution is complicated. It must be operated by an expert, and it costs a lot.

It is not designed for small and medium-sized businesses. It is designed for large enterprises with the resources to invest in equipment or software, which is not a bad thing. However, when it comes to experts, it can be difficult, but for us, we can create it in five seconds. Then anyone can make it.

All of those solutions are known to us. We worked with them. We spent years researching it.

The initial setup is complex. It is always complex.

It's quite pricey. It is not intended for small and medium-sized businesses.

When you purchase this solution, sometimes there is a trial version. The professional license is available, but it will cost the same as an enterprise.

That is why we developed cyberwall.ai. It's entirely different. It's fully automated. It's an elastic solution. And it contains all kinds of solutions, such as DDoS, IPS, and so on.

There is a basic pricing list. There is a price list for pro and a price list for enterprises. There is also a pricing list for customized services. It all depends on which one you choose. But, in the end, you'll need someone who knows how to use Fortinet.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Fortinet FortiDDoS a seven out of ten.

IT Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Stable, with good security but has very bad technical support
  • "The solution already has security profiles and it can protect from DDoS attacks and other kinds of attacks."
  • "The web interface could be much better."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution in order to protect some web pages and web services.

What is most valuable?

The solution already has security profiles and it can protect from DDoS attacks and other kinds of attacks. It's a good source of protection. It already has a web application firewall.

What needs improvement?

The web interface could be much better. It's not that great right now. When you do a change, it's not as seamless as it could be.

The initial setup is difficult.

Technical support is lacking. They aren't helping a lot of the time, and some support personal don't even understand their own product.

I've been using the solution for about six months or so. It hasn't been too long just yet.

For now, the device seems to be stable. There are no bugs and glitches and it doesn't crash or freeze. However, I haven't tested it against a massive attack yet. That would be the real show of its strength, and that hasn't happened.

The solution can scale if you need it to. You can put the device in the cluster, and you can add more devices to the same cluster. That way you increase the disk qualitative and can add more devices.

We only have two people that work directly on the solution - myself and my co-worker. We do sometimes use an outside support company as well if we need to deal with customers.

Technical support isn't too good with Fortinet. They could be more responsive and helpful overall. If I call for a problem they take a long time to solve the issue or to answer. Even worse, sometimes they don't know the solution.

I've also worked with Cloudflare in the past and I find it, for example, much more user-friendly and easier to set up.

The initial setup is not exactly straightforward. We find it to be difficult. They should make it easier for new users to handle.

It took me two weeks to deploy the product due to the fact that I hadn't installed that kind of device before. I had to learn at the same time as I worked on the implementation process, which made things even harder. CloudFlare, for example, is easier to set up.

What other advice do I have?

We're a Fortinet partner.

I would advise those considering implementing the solution to get good documentation before installing it and to understand the product well. They can call support, however, they cannot state good support from Fortinet. I'd recommend they instead ask for help from Regional Account Managers from Fortinet, they can use their cell phone from there.

I'd rate the solution at a seven out of ten.

Distributed Denial of Service (DDOS) Protection
September 2022
632,611 professionals have used our research since 2012.
JurgenDendas - PeerSpot reviewer
Netwerk en Security Engineer at AXI
Reseller
Helpful support, an easy setup, and works well with other Fortinet solutions
  • "The customer support is helpful."
  • "The OS could be less buggy."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution in our data center.

What is most valuable?

The solution works well with other Fortinet solutions. We have a unified case management license on it, so we use it together with the FortiManager and FortiAnalyzer.

The customer support is helpful.

The initial setup is easy.

What needs improvement?

I don't really have any issues with the devices or anything like that. It's been fine overall.

The OS could be less buggy.

The technical support time can be slow.

We'd like to see some zero-trust features in the future. The most important part is zero-trust networking. That's really something that is coming up very fast, and there should be more time invested in it.

I've used the solution for three years.

We do find the OS to be a bit buggy. Sometimes the new rollouts have bugs that need to be dealt with.

Technical support is mostly good, as long as you get the right person.

The response time can be slow occasionally.

The main issue is we are engineers. We know the product, and we work daily with it. If we say that there's something wrong, then something is wrong. They need to work on believing the engineer who's working with it. If we say, for example, that there is a port broken, it will not affect us anymore while the firewall is down. Then the firewall is down, and getting all these extra locks is time-consuming, while it is unnecessary.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Neutral

The initial setup is fine. You can log in to it easily. It's out of the box. You open it, and if you know what to do, you can do everything, including deploy and set up, quickly. The rest of it is okay. That's not a problem.

How long it takes depends on the model. With the smaller models, getting it out of the box and getting it operational, is maybe 30 minutes. The bigger devices can take a few hours. It really depends on the model.

I help implement the solution.

I'm not aware of the exact pricing.

I am always looking to the needs of the customer. We usually work with Fortinet, so we will recommend Fortinet firewalls. However, if we need extra features, then we will go to another product.

What other advice do I have?

I'm the person who's configuring it. Our company and our customers use this product. We are resellers.

I'd rate the solution an eight out of ten. We're pretty happy with the product.

Melvin Ji - PeerSpot reviewer
Vice President & Product Manager at Tocloud
Reseller
Very stable, easy to set up, and user-friendly
  • "The solution is very user-friendly and very easy to use."
  • "There aren't really any aspects of the solution we are unhappy with. It's been a positive experience overall."

What is most valuable?

We've been completely satisfied with the product.

The solution is very user-friendly and very easy to use.

It's a good solution to start with, as it's easy to set up.

The solution has proven to be quite stable. The performance is good.

The technical support provided by the distributor has been very helpful.

The pricing overall is pretty reasonable.

The solution supports SD-WAN very well.

What needs improvement?

There aren't really any aspects of the solution we are unhappy with. It's been a positive experience overall. I can't recall any features that are lacking.

We've been using the solution for about three years or so. It's been a while. It's not that new to us.

The solution is quite stable. We've found it to be reliable in terms of performance. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze.

We have about 50 users on the solution and about 100 customers.

The technical support actually comes from the distributor. However, they are very good. They are helpful and responsive and we have been quite happy with the level of service we have been provided. We have no complaints in that regard.

The initial setup was not complex at all. It was very straightforward. We found it to be easy. A company should have no problems implementing it.

We were able to implement the solution ourselves. We did not use any integrators or consultants.

The cost of the solution is quite reasonable. It's not overly expensive.

We are interested in trying other products, however, this solution was pushed by the vendor.

What other advice do I have?

We are a reseller.

I'd rate this solution at an eight out of ten. We've largely been happy with it overall.

Download our free Distributed Denial of Service (DDOS) Protection Report and find out what your peers are saying about Fortinet, NETSCOUT, Radware, and more!
Updated: September 2022