IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

ForgeRock OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

ForgeRock is #1 ranked solution in top Customer Identity and Access Management tools, #3 ranked solution in top Access Management tools, and #5 ranked solution in top Identity Management (IM) tools. PeerSpot users give ForgeRock an average rating of 7.4 out of 10. ForgeRock is most commonly compared to SailPoint IdentityIQ: ForgeRock vs SailPoint IdentityIQ. ForgeRock is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 72% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 28% of all views.

Download the Access Management Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2022

What is ForgeRock?

ForgeRock is a comprehensive open-source identity and access management solution designed to meet the unique needs of your users and workforce. With ForgeRock you can orchestrate, manage, and secure the complete lifecycle of identities in any cloud or hybrid environment. ForgeRock allows you to set up bot detection, identity proofing, and risk-based authentication.

With ForgeRock, you can define access policies and automate the management of the identity lifecycle all from a central, easy to use, and graphical dashboard. ForgeRock Access Management allows you to build safe authentication using options like passwordless and usernameless logins, single sign-on, biometrics, contextual analytics, and behavioral authentication. When threats appear, you can swiftly change how your users access your most sensitive applications and provide users with secure access to the applications, systems, and resources they need on demand.

ForgeRock Benefits and Key Features

• Elevate your security and efficiency: Consolidating your legacy systems under one single platform provides reliable, unified control over all your user identities and access-related policies. ForgeRock Access Management also supports scaling existing policies for application onto new setups.

• Passwordless authentication: Implementing passwordless authentication is simple with ForgeRock Access Management. You can easily replace user-selected passwords with other options, such as easy multi-factor authentication, biometrics, and SSO.

• Identity governance: ForgeRock Identity Governance is a modern, AI-driven identity governance solution. By leveraging ForgeRock generated analysis reports, you can identify and apply appropriate user access, automate high-confidence access approvals, recommend certification for low-risk accounts, and review high-risk and inappropriate user access privileges. In addition, you can grant and enforce access to systems, applications, and infrastructure according to established policies.

Reviews from Real Users

ForgeRock stands out among its competitors for a number of reasons. Two major ones are its robust identity and access tools and its being easy to manage and scale with one central dashboard.

PeerSpot users note the effectiveness of these features. A technology solutions leader at an outsourcing company writes, “We need it for multiple clients, multiple implementations. Not all of them are necessarily a multi-tenant solution. We need a very versatile solution that can do a lot of work, but from a single instance that we can centralize authentications and we don't duplicate the efforts and that's where ForgeRock seems to do better.”

Mohamed B., a cyber security consultant at a tech company, writes, "Their access management solution, OpenAM, is most valuable because it meets the needs of a lot of users. ForgeRock secured our system so that it is accessed only by authorized people, and it implemented the SSO."

ForgeRock was previously known as ForgeRock Identity Platform, ForgeRock OpenIDM .

ForgeRock Customers

Geico, Thomson Reuters, Salesforce, McKesson, Trinet, SKY, BNP Paribas, Deloitte, Capgemini, North Western University

ForgeRock Video

Archived ForgeRock Reviews (more than two years old)

System manager at Tribunal fédéral suisse
Enables us to define our systems but it is quite expensive
  • "We create and define the permissions and configurations for the users."
  • "I find that it's quite expensive for just an open-source system. Support is quite expensive."

What is our primary use case?

We use it to define the users in all of our systems like VMS and Samba. We don't use Windows, we use Samba. We create and define the permissions and configurations for the users.

How has it helped my organization?

We were using Solaris IDM system, Solaris sells an IDM system and there was a big migration telling us where to go. They told us to rewrite the IDM solution and we saw which other solutions there were out there. We found this solution and we found someone who could create a proof of concept and we decided to change from Solaris IDM to this. It has the same functionality.

What is most valuable?

In the beginning, it was open-source as opposed to other solutions like IBM. We used Solaris IDM and we had to merge with another product and we chose this because, in our company, open-source software is the main solution.

What needs improvement?

It's hard to speak with ForgeRock. It's very expensive. I find that it's quite expensive for just an open-source system. Support is quite expensive. We are only 300 users. It would make sense for a big company but for a little company, it's quite expensive.

Access Management
July 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about ForgeRock, Microsoft, Okta and others in Access Management. Updated: July 2022.
621,703 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I have been using ForgeRock for around six to seven years.

The stability is quite good. As an IDM system, it's not so stressed. We create five or six users per month.

I heard that it's good for big companies, with thousands of users use it but our company only has a few hundred users. We use little bits of the database. Scalability isn't a problem for us.

I have contacted their support. It's quite good. Out of ten, I would rate it a seven.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it a seven out of ten.

I would recommend trying it. Do a proof of concept. Every company is different. Management is different, you have to find a local company that can support you.

The interface is quite lively but I don't think that it's possible to have UI that's compatible with the rest of the company's. We only use the core of OpenIDM.

Solution Architect at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
MSP
Stable Solution that is easy to Manage and is User-Friendly
  • "The most valuable features are that it is easy to manage and it's stable."
  • "They should improve the solution by include reporting."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use of this solution is as an access management system.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are that it is easy to manage and it's stable.

What needs improvement?

They should improve the solution by including functionality for reporting.

There are several log sites, but many are very difficult.

In the next release of this solution, I would like to see reporting features added, and also they can simplify their log-site because it's very difficult to manage.

I have been using this solution for two years.

This solution is stable.

This solution is scalable.

It works from a container system or with Dell, so it is easy to scale up or to scale down.

With the visual aspect, this solution was not easy to set up, but with Dell's tools, it's very easy.

This solution was deployed both on-premises and on the cloud because I work from three different systems. One was on the cloud solution and two of them were with the on-premises deployment.

What other advice do I have?

If a customer is looking for an identity management solution, then, I can't recommend it, but if they are asking for an access management product then I can strongly recommend this solution.

Access Management
July 2022
621,703 professionals have used our research since 2012.
AmitJoshi - PeerSpot reviewer
Manager at a consultancy with 10,001+ employees
A stable and scalable solution but it requires better technical support
  • "The solution's most valuable feature is the authentication for the consumers. The integration with other third-party applications is excellent."
  • "The identity management model needs a bit of improvement."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is primarily used for the consumers, for their registration and other applications.

How has it helped my organization?

For our client, which we are deploying for, the solution seems to be offering them really great value.

What is most valuable?

The solution's most valuable feature is the authentication for the consumers. The integration with other third-party applications is excellent.

What needs improvement?

The identity management model needs a bit of improvement.

The solution should work on offering more automation.

I've been using the solution for almost four years.

The stability of the solution is good. They are coming up with good solutions and features. However, I think they should focus more on how they can automate things or make it simpler when it comes to the implementation of cloud solutions.

The solution is extremely scalable. We are implementing this for around 10 million customer records.

Technical support needs improvement. We have raised many cases but every time I call, they don't support. You need to buy their professional services.

When you are deployed on these standalone servers, the initial setup is very straightforward. However, when you are talking about the cloud solution, deployment can be a bit tricky.

Deployment took around two to three months.

We handled the implementation ourselves.

You need to negotiate the pricing, so how expensive or affordable it ends up being depends on each individual contract.

What other advice do I have?

Currently, we are working under the Agile model.

I would advise others to assess the product first based on their requirements. There are multiple models, so they need to be sure to choose the best option for them. Otherwise, they will end up purchasing everything and they might not utilize that product.

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten.

it_user726315 - PeerSpot reviewer
IAM CyberSecurity Consultant at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Added functionalities in the form of patches and version upgrades so it was easily adaptable to our architecture design

What is most valuable?

1. Highly customizable is one of the main advantages of the ForgeRock product. I personally like the Custom Authentication Modules design.
  2. Ability of ForgeRock support and its development team to provide patches and functionalities.
  3. Highly improved performance and scalability.
  4. Fully integrated with internal/in-house provisioning systems.
  5. Rapid deployment of the products.

How has it helped my organization?

For the current client environment, we have started with ForgeRock OpenAM 13.0.0 version and asked for many patches and features for our solutions. The ForgeRock team added functionalities in the form of patches and version upgrades so quickly and it was easily adaptable to our architecture design.

What needs improvement?

Similar to other products, they do have some improvement scope the in the documentation part. I do feel they became more organized and better, in terms of documenting, as they are growing with the new versions, but there is also more scope. Also, compared to other major market competitors, they have a lot more to learn from them in terms of product designing.

I’ve been working on the ForgeRock product suite (including ForgeRock Access Management, Identity Management and Directory Services) for around three years now.

The deployment of a solution is never easy in a new design of the environment. The new capability of the Amster tool for OpenAM seems to be very easy to deploy your solution over their older tools SSO Admin & SSO Configurator. Amster provides config properties to be exported and imported to another instance with JSON format, as an example.

With every upgraded version, they come with some minor instability issues or little functionality errors. We did find many small and medium functionality issues from the journey of OpenAM 13.0.0 to Access Management 5.1.1, which they fixed in the next upgrades.

Scalability has never been problem with the ForgeRock product suite. You can add nodes at runtime without affecting the environment. You can build another datacenter without affecting the running instance and add to it.

So far, I do not have any complaints on the technical support side. Whenever we asked for any patches or bug solutions, they have responded within their incident matrix response time. I would like to rate technical support at a 10 out of 10.

No, we chose ForgeRock as our first choice. Though we had many other products to look at, ForgeRock seemed to be very compatible with our customizations and ease of use requirements.

ForgeRock came up with a community version and enterprise version, which is the main difference in pricing. They also came up with the Product Suite 5 version. They provide subscriptions based on the identity basis divided into internal and external identities.

Yes, we did comparisons with other IAM tools, like IBM SAM, Oracle Access Manager, and Ping Identity solution. We needed a better user experience and flexible authentication, like adaptive authentication plus multi-factor authentication capabilities, where ForgeRock seem to be the best match among them all.

What other advice do I have?

ForgeRock products are highly flexible and customizable within the range of their competitor's products.

Look at the your requirements and compare products with each other and choose which suits your needs better. On the ForgeRock side, I personally liked the capabilities of customizations and the technical support we get from the vendor.

it_user723990 - PeerSpot reviewer
Clustercoördinator Vernieuwing en Ontwikkeling with 501-1,000 employees
Lots of customizations are possible due to the powerful API

What is most valuable?

All of them:

• REST API (the best)
  • Available connectors
  • Roles
  • Objects
  • IoT readiness
  • Assignments
  • Flows, etc.

How has it helped my organization?

Automated provisioning and deprovisioning of users and customers. Also, integration into our portals for self-service. With this product, the design and implementation is done in-house. Lots of customizations are possible due to the powerful API.

What needs improvement?

Improve the software quality (bugs in new versions).

One year now.

No, except that new versions often have basic bugs, which should not be the case.

No, not at all.

Very good. Helped correctly. Bugs were fixed quickly.

Yes, the old product was too big, inflexible and complex.

I think straightforward.

Nothing.

Yes. Oracle, SailPoint, NetIQ, and Apache Syncope.

What other advice do I have?

Check and design the used data model of the product to make sure you make the correct decisions for performance and functionality.

Bino Yohannan - PeerSpot reviewer
Technology Architect at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
​​Flexible customisation and provides out-of-the-box support for almost all authentication mechanisms/products

What is most valuable?

• Flexibility in the customisation.
  • Out-of-the-box support for almost all authentication mechanisms/products.
  • Hassle-free support to federation protocols (SAML can be enabled and configured in a few mouse clicks).

How has it helped my organization?

This is not directly applicable to me, as I work in the consulting service industry. However, I have seen how it's brought about improvements at our client locations. One of our clients wanted to have a solution with complicated authentication requirements (authenticate users from multiple sources and even from non-standard sources), and they approached several product vendors. ForgeRock was the only solution they found which fit their budget and time frame.

What needs improvement?

It has a promising roadmap and strategy. However, the product still needs to refactor and get rid of the dirty coding from its predecessor. I hope it will improve over time.

More than 10 years. I worked on its predecessor, Sun Java System Access Manager, as well.

Not with the version I’m reviewing. There were issues in previous versions but they were fixed over time.

I have never had any issues with scalability. It depends upon how we spec the environment as well.

It's awesome. Instant responses on support calls.

I used Oracle AM a little bit. Its configuration is a bit confusing and takes a long time.

As I said before, you can install and configure the product in a matter of a few minutes; it’s that easy.

I know it’s cheap compared to other leading AM products. You can even go for the Open Source version of the product if you are building it by yourself and don’t need the support and regular patches.

As I said, I work in the consulting/service industry, hence this is not directly applicable to me.

What other advice do I have?

Just try it and get a feel for the product.

Architecture Practice Lead at SKY TV New Zealand
The integration has been smooth and the costs have been significantly reduced.

What is most valuable?

Integration with Identity repository and managing SAML2.0 SSO & Federation; provides a simple upgrade from Sun OpenSSO to OpenAM and ForgeRock OpenIDM; runs seamlessly with the Sun Identity Connector Framework; Unified Platform; lightweight Infrastructure; Connected Security; Developer-friendly AM solution.

How has it helped my organization?

The product was used mainly to migrate from Sun IAM suite. The integration has been smooth and the costs have been significantly reduced.

What needs improvement?

Reporting and Analysis capabilities seem to be less mature.

Business strategic partnership model with multiple parties across marketing and sales needs improvement.

Implementation, integration capabilities and support model are still evolving and posing a risk of poor quality.

3 years

Nothing significant.

I did, but I would rather blame my LDAP infrastructure. No significant issues with the product had been encountered that are worth mentioning.

No significant issues.

3; on a scale from 1-5 (1=worst, 5=best).

The key driver had been the migration from Sun IAM.

Migration involved analysis and solution design. The setup was of medium complexity.

The solution was implemented by a vendor. Level of required expertise was 3 on a scale from 1-5 (1=worst, 5=best).

Cost, increased time to market.

I evaluated Oracle Identity suite, TIM/TAM.

What other advice do I have?

It may not have a complete suite of best-in-class IAM capabilities compared to some of the market leaders; however, they are maturing steadily and rapidly expanding the portfolio with OpenDJ and OpenIDM. It’s easy to configure and yes, it’s open source!

it_user367077 - PeerSpot reviewer
it_user367077Member of the Advisory Board at a tech services company with 51-200 employees

Hi Doug, did you receive some feedback from Sam. What is the status of your project now?

it_user185874 - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Solution Support Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
It needs to be less Java oriented but the REST inteface is a valuable feature

What is most valuable?

REST interface

How has it helped my organization?

Better Access Management

What needs improvement?

Less Oracle Java oriented.

Three years.

Average.

Average.

Sun Access Manager, and we switched because SUN does not exist anymore.

Complex because of the customizations needed.

In house implementation.

We also looked at Oracle.

What other advice do I have?

Start off with a pilot.

Download our free Access Management Report and find out what your peers are saying about ForgeRock, Microsoft, Okta, and more!
Updated: July 2022