We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why

EVOLVEUM midPoint OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

EVOLVEUM midPoint is #13 ranked solution in top Identity Management (IM) tools. PeerSpot users give EVOLVEUM midPoint an average rating of 8 out of 10. EVOLVEUM midPoint is most commonly compared to SAP Identity Management: EVOLVEUM midPoint vs SAP Identity Management. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 25% of all views.
What is EVOLVEUM midPoint?

In a highly competitive environment the quality, precision and innovation are the key factors for organizations to stay ahead instead of falling behind. Choosing strong, reliable solution providers today will influence your tomorrow. At Evolveum we understand such needs and as an answer we created midPoint, a unique open source solution seamlessly combining identity management and identity governance.

Download the Identity Management (IM) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2022

EVOLVEUM midPoint Customers

European Commisson, University of Illinois, First United Bank & Trust, Deutsche Telekom, Vodafone, Avast

EVOLVEUM midPoint Video

EVOLVEUM midPoint Pricing Advice

What users are saying about EVOLVEUM midPoint pricing:
  • "Licensing is defined by the number of users."
  • "We're EVOLVEUM partners, and I tried it without a license."
  • EVOLVEUM midPoint Reviews

Ladislav Nyiri
    IDM Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    Copes well with evolving environments and it's easy to look after the source code
    • "The basic setup is straightforward and takes minutes to complete."
    • "The support isn't ideal - because the product is open-source, it relies on your own ability to make it work unless you pay for support at a high hourly rate."

What is our primary use case?

My main uses are integrating external applications and user management.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that it's open-source, so it's easy to look after the source code.

What needs improvement?

An area for improvement would be that you have to be aware of your interfaces when making changes to the source code, as if you change an integration that is not in-box, that integration can be broken. There are also issues with integration with paid solutions from Microsoft or other identity management vendors, as if they stop working, you have a big problem because they have changed something which is not well documented, and you have to deal with it without breaking copyright (reverse engineering). There are few companies publishing solutions  including source code for integration with closed code solutions. Use is always on own risk - no guarantees for up to date code interfacing to closed code solution.

This solution is really stable - it's able to run in an evolving environment.

This solution is suitable for small to large organizations.

The support isn't ideal - because the product is open-source, it relies on your own ability to make it work unless you pay for support at a high hourly rate. Their responsiveness and willingness to make changes also vary, and it can take a long time to get to talk to somebody who will give you proper answers. However, you can offer them more money if you're interested in solving a particular issue, and they are more user-friendly than commercial companies.

Previously, I worked with Novell Identity Manager (now called NetIQ Identity Manager). It is a great solution, but its code use is not free of charge, so you had to raise funding for the code usage (license or subscription) plus deployment and would still get vendor-locked.

The basic setup is straightforward and takes minutes to complete. The integration of any information system depends on the complexity of the system and the processes you would like to deploy. The environment is ready in minutes, but the solution itself needs comprehensive analyses, discovery of processes and dependencies, and turning them down to configuration files.

ROI depends on the partner that the customer finds for deployment, but I would say it's a better rate than commercial ones.

Licensing - support is defined by the number of users served by solution - it's about 10,000-15,000 euros annually for 10,000 users.

What other advice do I have?

EVOLVEUM has really good in-house publishing, with publicly available binaries that you can deploy in your Docker or Kubernetes environment. Before implementing, make sure to study this solution and how to deploy it - there are lots of examples available. I would give this solution a rating of eight out of ten.

Ondrej Balun
    IAM Expert Group Lead at Ventum
    A stable and scalable Open Source Identity Management system with many nice features
    • "I like that it's open-source, and it's working. It has nice features, and it looks like it's easy to maintain."
    • "I think that the product is missing some of the identity governance functions—for example, the legal stuff and GDPR, and so on. But I think they are currently working on it."

What is our primary use case?

We use EVOLVEUM midPoint for Identity Management. Automating HR Processes - Joiner/Mover/Leaver, connecting source and target systems to synchronize user accounts.

How has it helped my organization?

Because the product is automating processes, if somebody joins the company, based on his/her role within company he/she get proper rights and accesses to the target systems. The privileges can be reviewed and evaluated continually. At every point of time, you know, who has access to what resources. In the end of the day, it eliminates human errors, which protects company assets and good will.

What is most valuable?

I like that it's open-source, and it's working. It has nice features, and it is very easy to deploy and maintain.

What needs improvement?

I think that the product is missing some of the identity governance functions related the data provenance. But I think they are currently working on it.

Sometimes the GUI crashes or freezes or doesn't work properly, however, I don't see that as a huge problem.

I would appreciate SAP CUA connector out of the box and more documentation/possibilities on hooks/plugin points.

I have been dealing with EVOLVEUM midPoint for one and a half years.

In my experience, it was very stable. Sometimes it can be a little slow, but the system didn't crash. Depends on the underlying infrastructure.

It's a scalable solution. I tried a scenario with 2,000 identities. It wasn't that big, but I was satisfied.

It is doing what you expect it should do, that is nice about it.

The initial setup is very straightforward.

I implemented this solution by myself.

We're EVOLVEUM partners, and I tried it without a license.

What other advice do I have?

I would tell potential users to at least try it and see. Many of the deployments can be set up within few seconds. It's definitely good to try it and maybe also integrate it within company.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give EVOLVEUM midPoint an eight.