We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why
Pardeep Sharma
Network security engineer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Good IPS/IDS functionality, straightforward to set up, and simple to deploy
  • "The most valuable features of this solution are advanced malware protection, IPS, and IDS."
  • "Web filtering needs improvement because sometimes the URL is miscategorized."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for advanced IPS, IDS, advanced malware protection, and web filtering.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of this solution are advanced malware protection, IPS, and IDS.

What needs improvement?

web filtering needs to improve because cisco firepower sync with bright cloud website for the website category. sometimes your URL is falling in the wrong category because of the bright cloud. so if you want to change the category you will have to drop the mail to the bright cloud and they will take action and it's a very long procedure.

more than 2 years

This is a very reliable solution.

I have extended my Cisco solution and did not have any trouble.

We have more than 400 users and we plan to increase usage.

The initial setup is very simple to deploy in the Egyptian network. It takes two to three days to deploy but if you are implementing AMP then it will take an extra one or two days.

I am happy with the product in general, including the pricing.

We evaluated a Sophos firewall but when I checked the reviews, I found that Sophos did not rate as well in terms of IPS, IDS, and malware protection.

What other advice do I have?

Cisco utilizes BrightCloud for URL filtering. Web filtering is the main problem with this product.

My advice to anybody who is considering this product is that if they want good security, compared to other offerings such as those by Check Point and Palo Alto, then they should implement Cisco Firepower.

Muhammed Eslami
Solution Architect at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Powerful features include Snort and IPS, it is easy to deploy, and the technical support is good
  • "I like the firewall features, Snort, and the Intrusion Prevention System (IPS)."
  • "This product is managed using the Firepower Management Center (FMC), but it would be better if it also supported the command-line interface (CLI)."

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and Cisco NGFW is one of the products that we implement for our clients. My clients use it for internet access within the enterprise.

What is most valuable?

I like the firewall features, Snort, and the Intrusion Prevention System (IPS).

What needs improvement?

This product is managed using the Firepower Management Center (FMC), but it would be better if it also supported the command-line interface (CLI). Cisco's FTD devices don't support the command-line interface and can only be configured using FMC.

We have been using this product for the past four years.

This is a stable product and we plan to continue implementing it for clients in the future.

Cisco NGFW is a scalable firewall. My client has more than 100 users.

We have support from Cisco's TAC, the Technical Assistance Center, and they support this product well. We haven't had any issues with them.

Prior to the Next Generation firewall, my clients were using Cisco ASA for more than 10 years.

The initial setup is easy, with the installation and configuration taking about two hours.

I did the deployment myself.

This product requires licenses for advanced features including Snort, IPS, and malware detection.

What other advice do I have?

In summary, this is a good product and I recommend it.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Cisco Firepower NGFW Firewall. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
564,643 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Victor Mejia
SOC & SECURITY SERVICES DIRECTOR at BESTEL
Reseller
Filtering, IPS, and the A&P on small operations are all great features
  • "A good intrusion prevention system and filtering."
  • "Implementations require the use of a console. It would help if the console was embedded."

What is our primary use case?

We use the platform to provide secure perimeter internet access for customers and also to provide secure networks or secure SANs for customers. We have a global partnership with Cisco and I'm a re-sales and security manager of IT services.

What is most valuable?

The top features for me are the filtering, the intrusion prevention system, and the AMP on small operations.

What needs improvement?

To configure the FirePower it is required an external console. It would be nice to have the console embedded in the Firewall so you don't require an extra device. I'd like to see some kind of SD-WAN included as a feature.

I've been using this solution for six years.

The solution is very stable and we feel very secure with it.

The scalability is no problem.

The technical support is excellent.

The initial setup is quite straightforward. I think someone who knows the iOS platform and knows about firewalls can setup the device. If you don't have experience, it will be somewhat complicated. If you know the platform, implementation is very quick. We've installed over 1,000 firewalls for different customers.

What other advice do I have?

This is a very stable platform, and you can adjust the engine for malware protection. It is one of the best and a very reliable solution.

I would rate this solution a 10 out of 10.

Mufeed Siaj
Network Security Presales Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
MSP
Good throughput, with one-of-a-kind support, that is scalable
  • "The most valuable features of this solution are the integrations and IPS throughput."
  • "The price and SD-WAN capabilities are the areas that need improvement."

What is our primary use case?

I am a pre-sales engineer, and I do comparisons based on my customer's requests.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The price and SD-WAN capabilities are the areas that need improvement.

In the next release, I would like to see more of the FortiGate features added. FortiGate is compatible with Cisco ACI, but I can't see Firepower with Security Fabric. For example, if I had Fortinet activated, could I integrate with it?

I have familiar with the Next Generation firewalls for two years, and six years with firewalls in general.

It's a stable product.

It's scalable indeed.

Our clients are SMB Enterprise.

It's just a fact, nothing is better than Cisco technical support.

Previously, I was working with Fortinet. I would most likely recommend Fortinet, because of the price and the security fabric integration with other products. It's scalable as well, and all of the FortiGate features are useful.

It's very easy to implement and it's very easy to administrate.

The initial setup was straightforward. With other vendors, it is easier, but it was straightforward.

This product is expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.

Security Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Quite stable with good technical support, but the reporting should be improved

What is our primary use case?

We are a service provider and we work on a variety of different projects for many customers. We do not use this product ourselves. Rather, we deploy it for different customers. The primary use case is to protect the organization from unauthorized use.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the access control list (ACL).

What needs improvement?

Report generation is an area that should be improved.

I have been working with this product for two years.

This firewall is quite stable and we use it on a daily basis.

The scalability is good.

Which solution did I use previously and why

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is to protect the organization from unauthorized use.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the access control list (ACL).

What needs improvement?

Report generation is an area that should be improved.

I have been working with this product for two years.

This firewall is quite stable and we use it on a daily basis.

The scalability is good.

I have not worked with equipment from OEMs other than Cisco. It's the only vendor I use.

The initial setup is straightforward. The length of time for deployment depends on whether it is the entire setup or just the basic installation.

I deployed this product myself.

What other advice do I have?

This is a product that I can recommend for an internal firewall. It's good enough.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

MD.SIHAB TALUKDAR
System Engineer at a non-profit with 10,001+ employees
Stable and reasonably-priced, and the support is okay

What is our primary use case?

This is a product that is used at the infrastructure level to protect the network from outside traffic.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is stability.

What needs improvement?

When using this product, our network is slower. The performance should be improved. The installation could be made easier.

We have been working with Cisco Firepower NGFW Firewall for more than two years.

This is a stable product and we plan to continue using it.

Support from Cisco is good enough.

What is our primary use case?

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is stability.

What needs improvement?

The installation could be made easier.

This is a stable product and we plan to continue using it.

Support from Cisco is good enough.

The installation can be easy, although it is slightly more difficult to install than Fortinet FortiGate. One day is enough for deployment but it takes a long time to configure.

I deployed Firepower with support from the team in India.

We have a team of three people for deployment and maintenance.

The price of Firepower is not bad compared to other products.

What other advice do I have?

This is a good product and I recommend it.

Wahid Selman
ICT Department Manager at ACC
MSP
Reasonable priced, great customer service, and stable
  • "We have not had to deal with stability issues."
  • "My team tells me that other solutions such as Fortinet and Palo Alto are easier to implement."

What is our primary use case?

We are using the solution for airports.

How has it helped my organization?

The Cisco NGFW is an excellent fit for purpose for our network security.

I have been using the solution for five years.

We have not had to deal with stability issues.

The support of the solution is great, their staff is perfect.

People have said that Palo Alto is a less expensive solution than Cisco, but in my experience, at least from today, Cisco is cheaper than Palo Alto.

What other advice do I have?

I do not hear anything bad about the competition. I am difficult to change my ways and learn a new product. Unless somebody comes and makes a SWOT analysis and shows me the evidence of how the alternative is better, I am fine with Cisco.

I would recommend this solution to others.

I rate Cisco Firepower NGFW Firewall an eight out of ten.

Acting Director, Office of Talent Management at a government with 10,001+ employees
The UI needs improvement, as does the SNMP configuration, but the feature set is good
  • "The feature set is fine and is rarely a problem."
  • "Cisco makes horrible UIs, so the interface is something that should be improved."

What is most valuable?

The feature set is fine and is rarely a problem.

What needs improvement?

Cisco makes horrible UIs, so the interface is something that should be improved. Usability is poor and it doesn't matter how good the feature set is. If the UI, whether the command-line interface or GUI, isn't good or isn't usable, then you're going to miss things. You may configure it wrong and you're going to have security issues.

Security vendors have this weird approach where they like to make their UIs a test of manhood, and frankly, that's a waste of my time.

The SNMP implementation is incredibly painful to use.

I have been using Cisco Firepower NGFW Firewall within the past year.

I work with a lot of different IT products including three different firewall solutions in the past 12 months.

What other advice do I have?

Everything has room for improvement.

I would rate this solution a five out of ten.

Product Categories
Firewalls
Download our free Cisco Firepower NGFW Firewall Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.