IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Barracuda Web Security Gateway OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Barracuda Web Security Gateway is #4 ranked solution in top Web Content Filtering tools. PeerSpot users give Barracuda Web Security Gateway an average rating of 8 out of 10. Barracuda Web Security Gateway is most commonly compared to Forcepoint Secure Web Gateway: Barracuda Web Security Gateway vs Forcepoint Secure Web Gateway. Barracuda Web Security Gateway is popular among the small business segment, accounting for 44% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 23% of all views.

Download the Web Content Filtering Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2022

What is Barracuda Web Security Gateway?

The Barracuda Web Security Gateway lets organizations benefit from online applications and tools without exposure to web-borne malware and viruses, lost user productivity, and misused bandwidth. As a comprehensive solution for web security and management, it unites award-winning spyware, malware, and virus protection with a powerful policy and reporting engine. Advanced features ensure that organizations adapt to emerging requirements like social-network regulation, remote filtering, and visibility into SSL-encrypted traffic.

Barracuda Web Security Gateway was previously known as Barracuda Web Filter.

Barracuda Web Security Gateway Customers

Citizen Farmers Finance, Osoyoos Credit Union, Supreme Services, Camden County Technical Schools, Frederick County Schools, Pine Belt Mental Healthcare, Paulsboro Public Schools, Dysart Unified School District, St. Michael's Grammar School, Southfield Schools District, Total Threat Protection - Wade Ford, Alain Pinel Realtors, Southfield Public Schools, Major League Baseball (MLB)

Barracuda Web Security Gateway Video

Barracuda Web Security Gateway Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Barracuda Web Security Gateway pricing:
"The pricing and licensing are comparatively reasonable."

Barracuda Web Security Gateway Reviews

Solutions Engineer at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Easy to use for whitelisting or blocking a web address but won't scale to our new platform
  • "The ease of use. It's pretty easy to use and navigate the UI... to either block or whitelist a web address."
  • "Our problem is that it's a virtual appliance and we're moving to a new platform and, for whatever reason, we can't move it as it is... When we were migrating our virtual machines from the old to the new system, we determined rather quickly that it wouldn't migrate over."

What is our primary use case?

We're using it for web filtering and blocking of sites that we don't want to allow traffic to.  For the most part, it's working okay.

How has it helped my organization?

It's the ease of use in either blocking or whitelisting a web address. That is the plus.

What is most valuable?

The ease of use. It's pretty easy to use and navigate the UI.

What needs improvement?

Our problem is that it's a virtual appliance and we're moving to a new platform and, for whatever reason, we can't move it as it is. That's why we are looking for a different option. When we were migrating our virtual machines from the old to the new system, we determined rather quickly that it wouldn't migrate over.
Web Content Filtering
June 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Barracuda Networks, Forcepoint, McAfee and others in Web Content Filtering. Updated: June 2022.
610,229 professionals have used our research since 2012.

Relatively, the stability is pretty good, as far as our history goes.

The problem lies in the fact that it's not able to be moved to our new system and the Barracuda engineers couldn't figure it out either. It's definitely a flaw in design there.

We were in touch with tech support in our attempts to move Barracuda to our new platform, unsuccessfully. I would rate technical support at six out of 10. If they're not able to help us get their product over to a new platform, that's not very good. It's a little bit frustrating.

I inherited it without any documentation as to how it was set up, so that could be part of the problem.

I wasn't part of the evaluation process when Barracuda was chosen. However, in looking for a new solution, IT Central Station's report was the first documentation I pulled down to take a look and see what the top five solutions are. We're starting the process there to vet each and every one of them to see which solution might be the way to go. For me, the most important criterion when selecting a vendor is support, after the fact.

What other advice do I have?

The overall performance of the product is great. It's just the fact that we can't get the existing solution over to a new platform. The day-to-day operation is pretty easy, being able to whitelist, blacklist, etc. There is just this one sticking point. We ultimately may go with a newer variation or a cloud-based version of Barracuda, but right now we have an on-prem. That's our sticking point: Part of the team wants to keep it on-prem, and part of the team wants to put it in the cloud. I would rate Barracuda at seven out of 10, again because support, after the fact, was not able to migrate their product over to a new platform.
SolomonAwosina - PeerSpot reviewer
CTO at GCET
Reseller
Fantastic support for a stable and scalable solution
  • "The support is fantastic."
  • "The AD agent is an issue which my customers and I have encountered. Sometimes it refuses to start and, only as time goes by, does it become apparent that things are not working the way they should."

What is our primary use case?

I recently deployed a PDF version for a customer, the most recent one.

What is most valuable?

What I found to be most fascinating and valuable are the filtering paths which provide similar access for allowing administrators to filter unwanted sites.

What needs improvement?

The AD agent is an issue which my customers and I have encountered. Sometimes it refuses to start and, only as time goes by, does it become apparent that things are not working the way they should.

The AD domain should have stable agents.

I have been using Barracuda Web Security Gateway for quite a while, six years now.

The product is very stable.

The solution is scalable.

The solution provides comparatively better support than that of the competition, something I consider to be paramount for addressing the inevitable issues which arise in the ICT world.

The support is fantastic, which is one of the reasons that I love the solution.

I have used a host of products prior to that of Barracuda Web Security Gateway, including Sophos, Cisco and ISA Microsoft, which nearly everyone made use of.

Barracuda Web Security Gateway provides better support than that of the competition. While they all offer similar features and each comes with its relative strengths in different areas, I consider the support to be the one which is most important, as things can always go awry in the ICT world.

The initial setup is complex. The Active Directory Agent is not stable, with the service occasionally refusing to start. It would be a big help if the dashboard were to provide an alert when there is a lack of connectivity.

The pricing and licensing are comparatively reasonable.

What other advice do I have?

I use the solution both in my customers' and my company.

There are over 500 people using it in my customers' company.

The solution allows us to resolve nearly all of our web feature-related issues.

I rate Barracuda Web Security Gateway as a nine-and-a-half out of ten.

Download our free Web Content Filtering Report and find out what your peers are saying about Barracuda Networks, Forcepoint, McAfee, and more!
Updated: June 2022