Appium OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Appium is the #5 ranked solution in top Mobile Development Platforms and #7 ranked solution in top Regression Testing Tools. PeerSpot users give Appium an average rating of 8.0 out of 10. Appium is most commonly compared to Tricentis Tosca: Appium vs Tricentis Tosca. Appium is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 69% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 23% of all views.
Appium Buyer's Guide

Download the Appium Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: December 2022

What is Appium?

Appium is an open-source mobile application development tool that is designed to give users complete control of their application development process. It enables them to optimize the development process when the need calls for it, and create the applications that they want in the most efficient manner they can.

Appium Benefits

Some of the benefits that come from using Appium include:

• Ease of deployment. Appium is fairly simple for users to set up for the first time. Developers can download Appium and launch it with only a couple of clicks.
  • Easily track the results of application tests. Appium automatically creates reports when developers run application tests. These reports can give users insights into every aspect of the tests that they just ran. They can include detailed test results, screenshots of the test as it took place, and videos showing the test while it was in progress. Developers can also recall these reports with ease so that the information that was gathered is always at their disposal.
  • Gain deep insights into your application. Users can easily gain insight into the way that their application is running and how it might be improved. The reports that the system produces can provide developers with all of the data and insight that they need to improve their applications and make informed decisions.

Appium Features

When users choose to employ Appium’s mobile development solution, they gain access to many different capabilities. These features include:

• Remote testing capability. Teams that are spread across the globe can collaborate and run tests from wherever they happen to be at the time. They can connect to Appium’s cloud testing feature and always have access to the latest iteration of the project they are working on.
  • Customizable test reporting capability. Appium enables users to customize the way that information from their tests is reported. They can create the kinds of reports that best reflect their objectives and needs. When specific information is needed, the reports can be formatted to show that particular aspect when the solution generates it.
  • Parallel testing capabilities. Developers who use Appium can run multiple application tests at the same time. This enables them to save time and resources while still accounting for every scenario that their applications might experience. Users can run all of the tests necessary to ensure that their applications are successful while spending the minimum amount of time doing so.

Reviews from Real Users

Appium is a solution that has a great deal to offer its users. It is a very complete mobile development solution that gives users the capabilities that they need to design their mobile applications with the greatest level of ease possible. Users can scale their application scripts to meet their needs. Additionally, developers can automate testing protocols, which reduces the amount of time and other resources that need to be devoted to the testing process. These two features make Appium a leader in the field of mobile application development.

Jayanta K., automation and nft manager at a computer software company, writes, “The interface for mobile automation is helpful for scripting and execution. It's scalable and there are many testers who would like to automate. In terms of scripting, scalability is very good.

The head of solutions delivery (systems) at a wellness & fitness company writes, “Obviously, because of automation, it reduces manual testing efforts.

Appium Customers

Nuvizz, Coupa Software, Eventbrite, Evernote

Appium Video

Appium Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Appium pricing:
  • "I'm unsure if there's any cost associated with Appium. I got the free package which includes the server GUI application and the inspector application, and it was free to download, and that's all I need to get my work done. I'm not aware of any additional costs associated with the tool."
  • "As far as I know, Appium is a free solution. It's not for commercial use."
  • "Appium is open source; we can use it for free."
  • "It's completely 100% free, and there are no hidden fees."
  • Appium Reviews

Sr Data Engineer at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
    Open source, with no performance issues, but setting it up wasn't as straightforward, and its documentation and Touch Actions need improvement
    • "I haven't explored other solutions in this particular area, but what I like best about Appium is the fact that it shares functions with Selenium. The extension of Selenium functions allows me to use all of the methods that exist in that domain, and it just makes it simpler for me. I've been using Selenium for some time as well, so using Appium just seems like a natural fit for me."
    • "What needs improvement in Appium is its documentation. It needs to give more context on the libraries that Appium is using under the hood. For example, my team is using Appium for Android automation, and a lot of times, I feel that there's functionality that's available through the Appium interface, that exists within the UIAutomator, but there aren't a lot of useful or helpful resources on the internet to find that information, so it would be good to have some linkage with the underlying platform itself. Another room for improvement in Appium is that it's buggy sometimes. For example, at times, there's a bug in the inspector application that doesn't allow me to save my desired capability set, so it would be nice to get that bug fixed, but overall, Appium is a good tool. The Touch Actions functionality in Appium also needs improvement. For example, if I want to initiate a scroll on the device that I'm running Appium on, sometimes Swipe works, but in other situations, I have to explicitly use action chains, so I'm not too sure what's the better approach. What I'd like to see in the next version of Appium is a more intelligent and more intuitive AppiumLibrary, in terms of identifying menus and scroll bars, etc., because right now, I'm unsure if I have to do a lot of export reversals to get to the elements I'm looking for. It would be nice to have some functionality built in, which would allow me to easily get those exports."

What is our primary use case?

Our use case for Appium is writing end-to-end tests for mobile applications. We also use it for some data extraction for an end-to-end user desk.

How has it helped my organization?

For the particular use case we used Appium for, we felt that it served our purpose completely, and we haven't had any issues with the Python Client for Appium. Appium has been a good solution for us.

What is most valuable?

I haven't explored other solutions in this particular area, but what I like best about Appium is the fact that it shares functions with Selenium. The extension of Selenium functions allows me to use all of the methods that exist in that domain, and it just makes it simpler for me. I've been using Selenium for some time as well, so using Appium just seems like a natural fit for me.

What needs improvement?

What needs improvement in Appium is its documentation. It needs to give more context on the libraries that Appium is using under the hood. For example, my team is using Appium for Android automation, and a lot of times, I feel that there's functionality that's available through the Appium interface, that exists within the UIAutomator, but there aren't a lot of useful or helpful resources on the internet to find that information, so it would be good to have some linkage with the underlying platform itself.

The Touch Actions functionality in Appium also needs improvement. For example, if I want to initiate a scroll on the device that I'm running Appium on, sometimes Swipe works, but in other situations, I have to explicitly use action chains, so I'm not too sure what's the better approach.

What I'd like to see in the next version of Appium is a more intelligent and more intuitive AppiumLibrary, in terms of identifying menus and scroll bars, etc., because right now, I'm unsure if I have to do a lot of export reversals to get to the elements I'm looking for. It would be nice to have some functionality built in, which would allow me to easily get those exports.

Appium
    December 2022
    Learn what your peers think about Appium. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: December 2022.
    655,994 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I've been using Appium for almost two and a half years now.

Appium is stable so far, performance-wise. I never had any performance issues with Appium scripts, and I could potentially do as many Appium programs as I want, and I'd only be limited by the compute capacity of the particular machine that I'm running it on, so no issues there.

Appium has decent scalability, and I've primarily used the Appium-Python-Client. What the Appium team could look into would be the possibility of running Appium in a cluster because currently, there's not a lot of in-depth documentation on how to do it.

For example, the way Selenium Hub works with Kubernetes, if Appium can have that functionality of working with Kubernetes, then that would ensure the greatest scalability for Appium.

I've never had to reach out to the Appium technical support team. I'm not even aware of the support channels for Appium, but I haven't had to reach out ever.

I wasn't sure of what other solutions existed out there. I just came across Appium, and I thought that Appium suits my use case, and it's open source, so that helps.

The initial setup for Appium wasn't as straightforward. I was an individual contributor that pitched this idea to my organization about using Appium, and I was solely responsible for researching it, writing code, then deploying it. It wasn't too straightforward, but in the end, I was able to get it done.

I did the deployment of Appium all by myself.

There were implicit monetary benefits that have come from our use of Appium, so ROI wasn't explicit. We got cost savings, reductions in downtime, stability, etc., from using Appium, which translates to ROI.

I'm unsure if there's any cost associated with Appium. I got the free package which includes the server GUI application and the inspector application, and it was free to download, and that's all I need to get my work done.

I'm not aware of any additional costs associated with the tool. Essentially, if you want to run Appium in a production environment, you'll need to hook it up with an emulation service, and though that's outside the scope, that has to tie and deliver the entire solution.

What other advice do I have?

I'm using the Appium-Python-Client version 2.1.2.

In my company, between four to five people use Appium.

The number of people required to maintain Appium depends on the number of tests you've written. In my company, a single person can maintain it.

Right now, Appium is being used pretty extensively within the company. My team runs and tests four to five different applications, and that list will be extended, so usage of Appium will go up in the future. It's not going to go down.

The advice I would give to anyone on Appium for the first time is to look into the underlying automation, for example, the UIAutomator for testing. I would urge you to also look into the different functionalities offered by the base automation and essentially use those features provided by the base automation within that context because that's going to give you the biggest branch of data.

My rating for Appium is seven out of ten, based on the work I'm doing on it.

My company is a customer of Appium.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
    Software Engineer Lead-Engineering Productivity at a tech services company with 5,001-10,000 employees
    Stable, scalable, and detects and inspects elements faster
    • "The best feature of Appium is that it allows you to inspect the element. With the Appium Inspector, you don't have to install another application to do the inspection. I also like that Appium has Android device connectivity. Currently, most people use Appium as automation software, and I haven't found any other tool that's more powerful than Appium."
    • "I rarely use Appium nowadays because I'm now at the managerial level, but the last time I used it, whenever I selected and clicked on an element, Appium was very slow. I tried to debug it, but I still couldn't find the problem, so this is an area for improvement in the solution. Another area for improvement lies with the connector and server. For example, the effort to get into the local machine sometimes causes the emulator to become slow, which then leads to failure in testing, and this is the usual issue I've encountered from Appium. An additional feature I'd like added to Appium in its next release is being able to do automation in iOS without using XPath and the name of the element. In Xcode, you can use previous UI tests for detecting elements, but in Appium, you have to use Xpath and the element name instead of being able to directly put the X-UiPath, which is what you can do in Xcode. In iOS as well, sometimes the element doesn't have a name or a path. Sometimes, there's also no element."

What is our primary use case?

I'm using Appium for the automation of applications on Android and iOS.

How has it helped my organization?

Appium has improved my company because it makes it easier to connect devices to automation scripts because the library is easy to use. You can also detect mobile elements faster in both Android and iOS.

What is most valuable?

The best feature of Appium is that it allows you to inspect the element. With the Appium Inspector, you don't have to install another application to do the inspection. I also like that Appium has Android device connectivity. Currently, most people use Appium as automation software, and I haven't found any other tool that's more powerful than Appium.

What needs improvement?

I rarely use Appium nowadays because I'm now at the managerial level, but the last time I used it, whenever I selected and clicked on an element, Appium was very slow. I tried to debug it, but I still couldn't find the problem, so this is an area for improvement in the solution.

Another area for improvement lies with the connector and server. For example, the effort to get into the local machine sometimes causes the emulator to become slow, which then leads to failure in testing, and this is the usual issue I've encountered from Appium.

An additional feature I'd like added to Appium in its next release is being able to do automation in iOS without using XPath and the name of the element. In Xcode, you can use previous UI tests for detecting elements, but in Appium, you have to use Xpath and the element name instead of being able to directly put the X-UiPath, which is what you can do in Xcode. In iOS as well, sometimes the element doesn't have a name or a path. Sometimes, there's also no element.

I've been using Appium for more than four years.

Appium is a solution that's quite stable.

Appium is a scalable solution. A lot of devices are connected to Appium, and the solution runs every day for integration testing, with new test cases added daily. Appium keeps growing, and it's scalable.

A separate team works with the Appium technical support team whenever there's an issue, so I have no experience contacting support.

I've only used Appium, and I haven't found a solution that's as good as Appium.

Setting up Appium is quite easy because a lot of documentation can be found on the internet. From setup to deployment, it only takes less than one hour if there's no problem, but usually, the problem is on the environment side, not in Appium itself. Sometimes the emulator doesn't connect to Appium, and sometimes there's a broken dependency, for example, Node.js isn't supported, or a certain percentage of Node.js must be used.

As far as I know, Appium is a free solution. It's not for commercial use.

What other advice do I have?

I'm using the latest version of Appium.

My current company has a lot of programmers, so I don't have the exact figure on how many people use Appium, but in my previous company, two people deployed the solution on the cloud server.

The only time maintenance is required in Appium is when there's a new update, and my team would first ask about how stable the new version is, then that's the time the team upgrades the version of Appium.

In the AP department, seventy to eighty people use the solution. The users only create the automation path and then test it on the local machines with Appium, then deploy it on the cloud server. The AP users aren't in charge of maintaining Appium.

I'd recommend the solution to other users. Most of the companies here in Indonesia use Appium, and on a scale of one to ten, my rating for Appium is nine out of ten.

My company is a customer of Appium.

Appium
    December 2022
    655,994 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Alona Tupchei - PeerSpot reviewer
    Engineering manager I - Quality at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Offers valuable features and good integration with other tools and frameworks, but stability and test speed can be improved
    • "We develop apps using the React Native framework, and Appium integrates well for testing those apps. The Appium automation framework also has good integration with GitHub Actions and plenty of other tools and frameworks, including BrowserStack."
    • "We previously worked with native applications, and there weren't any good mobile app testing tools. We started working with React Native, which works well with Appium, but it would be good to see better integration; the way elements are displayed can be messy. React Native is very popular nowadays, so it's essential to have that compatibility."

What is our primary use case?

We use Appium to test our native applications for iOS and Android. The solution is deployed locally and integrated into our instance of GitHub Actions for CI/CD functionality, so it's a hybrid deployment.

How has it helped my organization?

Using Appium with React Native allows us to reuse our tests for both Android and iOS. If we had to use one tool for Android and another for iOS, we would need two repositories, two tests, and a lot more coding for us to do. I think React Native is the only real solution available nowadays for black box testing the way we prefer to do it.

What is most valuable?

Appium also offers plenty of testing interactions, including swipes and other actions. It provides more interactions compared to other solutions like Selenium HQ, which is another tool we work with.

Appium Inspector is another excellent feature that provides us with a lot of information when dealing with app elements. One of our uses for this is determining which selectors are faster, as we want our apps to be as fast as possible.

What needs improvement?

Appium doesn't recognize IDs placed by our developers on nested elements when we use React Native for iOS; it just sees the whole page and one element. We use coordinates to get around this, but it isn't the best system, and nobody in the community has been able to help us.

iOS is also strict in general when it comes to signatures and developer accounts, which creates additional headaches for iOS testing compared to Android. It would be great to see a more streamlined setup for iOS, but that might be more of an Apple issue than an Appium one.

We have been using the solution for about four years.

The solution is relatively stable, but sometimes tests can become flaky. This could be because of Appium, or due to a cloud-related issue, it isn't exactly clear. It's more stable than it was four years ago, so the product has improved, but there is still room for better stability.

The solution is scalable. Once it's installed on the machines or in the cloud, everyone can run it and I don't think it matters how many staff members use it. We have nine end users in our organization.

Appium is an open-source solution so there isn't a number to call for technical support. However, there is a large user community, so it's easy to find help for issues.

The initial setup is very straightforward; it's just a download with a desktop installation. Setup time depends on your internet, but I would say it takes minutes.

Appium is open source; we can use it for free.

We looked at Espresso and XCUITest, which are native testing apps for Android and iOS, respectively, but we can't use those for both in React Native. We carried out a POC for Appium, and there were no viable alternatives. It allows us to use one tool and one repository for both mobile operating systems.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate the solution eight out of ten.

Appium is a great tool, and I recommend it. Working with iOS requires patience, and setup can be somewhat demanding, but there are no such problems with Android. Overall, the solution does what we need it to do.

Hybrid Cloud
    RajeevSAwant - PeerSpot reviewer
    Head Automation COE at Truglobal
    Open-source with an easy setup and good documentation
    • "It has great documentation and excellent community support."
    • "One thing which can be really helpful is that there is some kind of a recorder made available rather than scripting everything."

What is most valuable?

It's open-source.

There is quite a lot of support available and it has some features that are quite mature. Overall, it's a good tool for committing mobile applications. It's become kind of a norm across the industry, especially in the open-source world as it is kind of based on Selenium.

It's a straightforward setup.

The solution is stable.

It has great documentation and excellent community support.

It is a scalable product.

If we want smart reporting, intelligent dashboards, and all those things, we can link it. It's very flexible as an open-source tool.

What needs improvement?

There are Android and IOS, two key platforms. There are some other dependencies that typically are taken care of by some of the commercial tools like Xperitus. These kinds of tools take care of these other aspects.

One thing which can be really helpful is that there is some kind of a recorder made available rather than scripting everything. There needs to be some kind of recorder or some kind of platform which is made available. That would add immense value. It's already very popular, however, that will help a lot to experience the overall automation development.

I've been using the solution for the last five years. In my previous organization, I used it extensively.

The solution is very stable and reliable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. Appium bills are relatively stable as compared to many of the tools out there. They have good documentation and they have good support and their community support is very good. If you run into issues, there are a lot of ways to deal with the problem.

It is scalable, however, that will require some proper coding in the background to set up certain servers. We have actually run multiple testing parallel. Many of these supports are not available out of the box. They are something that we need to script and build, however, there are many libraries available on the list. For somebody who is starting from scratch, it would be fairly easy.

While, in my past organization, we had 50 to 60 people on the solution, in my current company, there are a bit fewer at about 30.

Community support is always available to help. It's very useful. There's also a lot of documentation available to help troubleshoot.

The initial setup is very straightforward. It's not overly complex or difficult.

There is some maintenance required, however, it depends on the application changes that are being made.

It has good documentation and an SDT or developer would be able to do it. There is no need for outside consultants or integrators.

The solution is open-source and free to use.

What other advice do I have?

We're just end-users.

I'm not sure which version of the solution we're using. Typically, we go with the latest update.

We deploy both on the cloud and on-premises. We use it for some of our cloud-based solutions, however, it's primarily on-premise where we integrate various devices and we do the end-to-end testing.

It's good to start with a very stable framework, so that will enhance the reusability that will reduce the maintenance down the line or other that will reduce the ease of maintenance down the line.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten. With it being open-source, and de to the lack of the cost, it's a critical factor for many of our customers and that's the bread and butter for service provider automation. We have some skilled resources we can take care of it.

Abhishek-Tiwari - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior Associate at PwC
    Has cross-platform flexibility and a record-and-play option
    • "Appium provides a record-and-play option, and the commands are the same as those that Selenium uses. So a person who has some exposure to Selenium will be able to write a piece of code in Appium."
    • "The challenging part with Appium is that installation can be a bit tricky. It can be challenging to set up in Android versus iOS environments."

What is our primary use case?

We use Appium for certain test cases with respect to mobile device testing. We migrate those test cases to our automation tool.

What is most valuable?

I like that Appium is an opensource tool. I also like it's cross-platform flexibility.

What needs improvement?

The challenging part with Appium is that installation can be a bit tricky. It can be  challenging to set up in Android versus iOS environments.

Appium has some limitations in terms of writing code using simulators and online cloud devices. I faced challenges with native based scenarios, battery turn out percentage, battery charging percentage, and memory capacity.

The other challenge I faced involved codes changing from device to device. For example, the piece of code that works in iOS version 10.1 won't work in iOS version 6.0.

In upcoming releases, if they can reduce some more of the dependencies like SDK, UIAutomator, etc., it would be great. That is, I'd like to see a consolidated package or bundle release that is much more user-friendly.

I've been using it for four plus years. I have experience with both on-premises and cloud deployments.

Appium is stable as per my experience, but sometimes there are issues due to command balance. Some methods are supported in one version but not in another. However, this can be overcome with alternate solutions or add-on tools.

Scalability-wise, if you are going to run in a single machine, then you can scale it out. However, if you want to do a distributed execution for an iOS device, it can be pretty difficult.

Solution-wise, I will rate technical support at eight out of ten, but for response time, SLA-wise, I would give them a six out of ten.

Appium is a two-tier application, so you have to be very careful while doing the setup.

There are multiple steps involved, and if you miss a single step, your server will not launch, and you will not able to inspect those elements.

The initial setup is not hard, but it's not easy either. On a scale from one to five with five being easy and one being hard, I'd rate Appium's initial setup at two.

Deployment time-wise, for Android it can take three to four hours and for iOS about eight hours.

It's completely 100% free, and there are no hidden fees.

What other advice do I have?

I would suggest checking whether you have knowledge of the programming language. You must also understand the flow, the architecture, and how the application that you're going to test will behave, whether it's a native application, hybrid application, or web-based application. Then, based on the nature of the application and the technical expertise you can decide whether to use Appium.

You have to be very careful while doing the installation. There are about 40 to 45 steps involved in the set up of Appium for Android devices and approximately 60 to 65 steps for iOS devices.

Data transformation can be tricky, but transferring of the controls is very easy. Predefined tools and methods are available, and you can import those libraries and use them as per your requirements.

Overall, I would give Appium an eight out of ten.

Siddartha Rao - PeerSpot reviewer
    Consultant at Deloitte India (Offices of the US)
    It's easy to launch applications.
    • "The most valuable feature is that it's easy to launch applications. Appium has everything that Selenium has. So many good tools support Appium. We can take some Excel sheets and use them to fill out the text box that's in there. We can also take screenshots of failures."
    • "Image recognition could be improved. We have some images in our mobile applications. It should be able to run from the cloud, so we can automate the catcher."

What is our primary use case?

We're a large enterprise, and my project team consists of about 30 automation code developers. Everyone on the team is using Appium. Appium automates mobile browsers and applications. I use Appium to launch iOS and Android mobile applications with the package name and launch activity.  After that, we do some operations on the applications.

For example,  we enter some text into the fields to verify if we've entered the wrong set of inputs. Some boxes will be limited to text only, and we'll get an error if we enter special characters. Appium helps us check all those things. We can also check the UI server to test if the button navigates to the next page or not.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that it's easy to launch applications. Appium has everything that Selenium has. So many good tools support Appium. We can take some Excel sheets and use them to fill out the text box that's in there. We can also take screenshots of failures.

What needs improvement?

Image recognition could be improved. We have some images in our mobile applications. It should be able to run from the cloud, so we can automate the catcher.

We need to launch the Appium server when we want to connect the mobile application with Appium. Sometimes, the Appium server won't connect with the mobile application because of some socket issues, so network connectivity between applications and the Appium server could be improved.

I have been using Appium for five years.

Appium is a highly stable product for our purposes.

We can scale Appium.

I believe Appium doesn't have dedicated technical support because it is an open-source tool. When I have issues, I find solutions on the forum.

We decided to use Appium because it's an open-source solution that supports so many languages, including Java, Adobe, C#, and Python. That's why so many DevOps and IT people prefer it.

I rate Appium eight out of 10 for ease of setup. When I first began using the product, I would rate it as six out of 10. Appium is challenging to set up for iOS and Android, but we can manage iOS automation on the Mac from Macintosh Missions. In Missions, we need to open our Appium project on the next board and create something like a bundle diary. The bundle diary from Appium doesn't work for outputs, so it should not work for our daily routine. We need to change the bundle ID and build the iPhone application.

There are two ways to set it up. You can update the Appium server for HD and need to do programming and training. It will come in after 30 seconds or more.

Appium is completely free.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Appium nine out of 10. It's one of the most stable solutions for mobile automation. It inherited a lot of functionality from Selenium, a popular tool for automation. We can write advanced code and achieve every mobile app channel using Appium.

If you want to use Appium faster, you need to do things right during installation.  We should be aware of the programming language. We need to use some framework to make our life easier while using Appium.

Andrii N. - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior QA Test Automation Engineer at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Free to use and works well on Android, but we've had issues with iOS
    • "The solution is stable."
    • "We need some bug fixes for nested elements."

What is our primary use case?

It's normally used to test mobile applications, and to interact with some power applications. It's mainly for mobile testing applications?

What is most valuable?

I like the app inspector. It's quite a good and useful tool for us. I like that we can use it almost out of the box.

It works well on Android.

The solution is stable.

It's very scalable.

The solution is free to use.

What needs improvement?

I'm facing a lot of issues with my new juniors when they set up Appium for iOS. For Android, it's easy, however, for iOS to interact with it on iPhones or something. It requires some additional libraries and some additional installation. Sometimes it's not working. While Android works well, iOS continues to be an issue.

There are a lot of issues on GitHub discussions and Stack Overflow, et cetera, and it's still not resolved. When we use Appium Inspector and just Appium, we are not able to inspect nest elements. Half of the elements are nested. Especially for React Native, it's not visible in Inspector, and we cannot interact with this element. We need some bug fixes for nested elements.

We'd like a one-button click where you hit it, and everything is automatically installed.

I've used the solution for three or four years, maybe less.

Generally, I'm not facing any issues with stability, so I am quite satisfied. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze.

I'm not facing any issues with scalability. It's not a problem to expand.

We have a team of ten using the solution right now. We use it on a daily basis. We have daily test runs, using Appium, and have test cases to update, to add on a daily basis.

We have zero direct interactions with Appium. If we need help with something, we just use some resources from the internet or some documentation. Aside from eh issues we've had with nested elements, this has always been enough for troubleshooting.

I have no experience using other automation tools for our devices. We only use Appium.

It's not difficult to set up and deploy. However, it does take time. We use Macbooks. We don't use Windows. It's more complicated to set up on iOS than on Windows. It can take two to four hours to configure everything once you have it deployed. For example, if you have ten devices, the time is two to four hours each, so it can take a while.

I'd rate the solution two or three out of five in terms of ease of deployment.

This is a free tool.

What other advice do I have?

Based on the issues we've had, I'd rate the solution six out of ten.

Prakash-G - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior Automation Engineer at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Easy to set up, simple to connect, and is reliable
    • "We get a list that shows all devices that are connected to the system."
    • "Support-wise, it could be better."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for UI validation of mobile applications. It's a mobile development platform. We have an application where we have to test the front end and how it is cloning.

What is most valuable?

It's easy to connect the product. Within a single command, we can easily connect to the device. The connectivity is just that easy.

We get a list that shows all devices that are connected to the system.

It is a very easy initial setup.

What needs improvement?

Support-wise, it could be better. Whenever we get some issues, it may take some time. I'd like them to be more responsive.

There's not too much public documentation or information. If we Google information or something else regarding the Appium, there won't be much compared to Selenium. Selenium is also open-source. Appium details are limited.

It is difficult to understand. Recently, there were major changes in Appium. Understanding those changes, was a bit difficult. There just wasn't enough transparency.

I've been using the solution for one and a half years.

The solution is pretty stable. That said, either from the application side or the Appium side, sometimes, I get some error that is not correct. Even if the application is open, sometimes it throws some error, however, maybe it is from the emulator side. I'm not sure.

If I run the same test case, and in the same execution, I don't see that error again. It's random, yet may be from our side. I don't think it's from Appium. However, I'm not sure.

The solution is scalable. The capacity is very good.

We have three QAs using the product.

Technical support is not as responsive as we would like them to be. They often are late to reply. Sometimes to topic diverts towards something else. It's open-source, which means support is always a bit of an issue.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Neutral

We also have used Selenium, which has more information available. Selenium is also open-source. Both are pretty similar.

The solution is very easy to set up. It's not an issue at all. It took one or two days to connect the emulators. It was pretty simple and straightforward.

I'd rate the initial setup at a five out of five in terms of ease of deployment.

This is an open-source tool.

What other advice do I have?

We are end-users. We tend to use the solution on a weekly basis.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten.

Download our free Appium Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: December 2022