Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

Android SDK OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Android SDK is #1 ranked solution in top Mobile App Platforms. PeerSpot users give Android SDK an average rating of 8.2 out of 10. Android SDK is most commonly compared to Apple iOS SDK: Android SDK vs Apple iOS SDK. Android SDK is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 63% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 21% of all views.
Android SDK Buyer's Guide

Download the Android SDK Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is Android SDK?

Android SDK is the software development kit for developers who want to build applications for Android platform devices. The kit contains all the tools that a developer would require to create, test and debug their Android apps.

Android SDK is open-source, easy to install and use, and is compatible with all operating systems (Linux, Windows, and Mac OS).

Android SDK Video

Android SDK Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Android SDK pricing:
"I am using the free version of Android SDK."

Android SDK Reviews

Manager at a tech vendor with 5,001-10,000 employees
A reliable solution with vast features

What is our primary use case?

We use the Android SDK for our application development, and our customers are looking for a mobile application for their Android phones. So we use the Android SDK to develop the application. There are no other alternatives to Android SDK and the performance is good.

How has it helped my organization?

It is a fantastic platform for the development of native applications. The look, ease of use, sturdiness, and reliability are excellent.

What needs improvement?

It is an excellent solution, and it would be nice to get fewer updates.

We used this solution for about four months. It is deployed on-premises. Android SDK has to be on-premises and cannot be on cloud. Although SDK is on-premises, you need to install it and then use it in your development.

Android SDK vs. SAP Mobile Platform
September 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Android SDK vs. SAP Mobile Platform and other solutions. Updated: September 2022.
635,162 professionals have used our research since 2012.

It is a stable solution.

Scalability isn't applicable for this solution because it's a mobile application platform. We also have a lot of customers who all have to use the Android SDK.

We've never needed technical support, so we have not used them before.

The initial setup is straightforward, and there is a set procedure for installing the solution. There is no deployment with Android SDK. The SDK needs to be downloaded on a local machine and used in an application.

There is no licensing because it is open source.

What other advice do I have?

I rate this solution an eight out of ten because no solution is perfect.

Senior Technical Architect at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Supports a range of devices and can be developed for many solutions
  • "Supports mobile and IOT devices."
  • "There are security issues in the Android platform."

What is our primary use case?

We have around 40 developers in the company and we are users of this product.

What is most valuable?

The best thing about Android SDK is that it supports a lot of devices. It supports mobile devices as well as IOT devices. Once you learn Android, it can be developed for many solutions like TV and applications for set top boxes.

What needs improvement?

There are security issues in the Android platform, so it is more vulnerable to attack. So that is something that is known to Google as well, right? So compared to Apple.

I've been using this product for several years.

The solution is stable.

We haven't needed any technical support because once the software is released, it has its own documentation. Google releases all the details and there's a huge community out there.

The initial setup is moderately complex.

The product is open source.

The Apple operating system is slightly different from Android because the Apple ecosystem is container-based, so each application is a container of its own. It has its own sandbox, which makes it very difficult for an attacker to get into the sandbox of an application. There's an architectural difference between iOS and Android.

What other advice do I have?

I rate this product nine out of 10.

Android SDK vs. SAP Mobile Platform
September 2022
635,162 professionals have used our research since 2012.
RPA System Engineer at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
Highly scalable, good community support, and reliable
  • "I have found the functions related to the services to the community for applications to be the most valuable."
  • "The development environment of Android SDK could improve."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Android SDK for commercial purposes to develop file applications for healthcare and eCommerce. Additionally, we develop applications related to customer support, et cetera.

What is most valuable?

I have found the functions related to the services to the community for applications to be the most valuable.

What needs improvement?

The development environment of Android SDK could improve.

There could be some work done on privacy control. The interactions between application to application, which collecting data should be known to the users that the application is collecting data, or requesting to collect the data from the patient invoice.

I have been using Android SDK for approximately seven years.

The current releases of Android SDK are scalable.

The solution is highly scalable.

I rate Android SDK a ten out of ten for scalability.

I am searching the internet community support for solutions to issues and I am using Stack Overflow and GitHub for resolving some issues.

The initial setup is easy, but for production equipment, it's complex. The process could be simplified.

I am using the free version of Android SDK.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Android SDK an eight out of ten.

Private Cloud
Manager at a tech vendor with 5,001-10,000 employees
Easy to set up and use

What is our primary use case?

I use Android SDK for development and as a library.

What is most valuable?

Android SDK's best feature is its ease of use.

What needs improvement?

Google has a monopoly on tools for Android app development, so Android SDK is the only choice available.

I've been using Android SDK for five to six years.

Android SDK is stable.

The initial setup is easy - it can be done with a single key press.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Android SDK eight out of ten.