Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

Windows 10 OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Windows 10 is #3 ranked solution in top Operating Systems for Business. PeerSpot users give Windows 10 an average rating of 8.2 out of 10. Windows 10 is most commonly compared to Windows Server: Windows 10 vs Windows Server. Windows 10 is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 60% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 32% of all views.
Windows 10 Buyer's Guide

Download the Windows 10 Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is Windows 10?

Windows 10 is one of Microsoft’s most advanced operating systems for personal computers (PCs), tablets, and other similar devices. To date this operating system is active on more than 1.3 billion personal computers worldwide.

Windows 10 has many features that make it arguably the most popular operating system for PCs on the planet. Included in these are a wealth of security features designed to stop malware from compromising both devices and networks. It has integrations for various multifactor authentication as well as non-password-reliant login technologies such as iris scanning. These keep networks safe from the moment that a user logs in. It also has security tools which not only identify, isolate, and remove threats, but also limit the damage that they can cause.

Benefits of Windows 10

Some of the benefits of using Windows 10 include:

• A wide array of security features that proactively protect your system from malware of all kinds. The Windows Defender Exploit Guard feature constantly scans your system’s background for threats. It identifies, isolates, and removes the malware from your infected network. It can also quarantine infected devices to stave off an outbreak of infection across your network.
  • Allows you to browse the web in a way that protects your network from cyber-threats, enabling you to browse the internet from the confines of a virtual machine. If your device becomes infected, the malware will be unable to spread beyond the virtual machine that it has already infected.
  • The ability to synchronize multiple devices so that you can work from anywhere at any time. Windows 10’s Timeline feature enables you to save your work in a Microsoft application. You can then access this saved work on another Windows 10 device and continue from wherever you left off.

Reviews from Real Users

The Windows 10 operating system stands out from the competition for a number of reasons. Two major ones are its ability to secure users from digital threats and its main app management screen, which gives users the ability to easily manage their applications.

One PeerSpot user who is the founder, president, and COO at an analyst firm, noted Windows 10’s impressive security suite when they wrote, “My impression is that the security via Windows Defender is good enough that I no longer feel a need for another third-party security solution, which had always been the case in the past. I think that perception still holds true.”

Mike K., a collaboration specialist at a comms service provider, takes note of the main app management screen when he writes, “I like the main window pane where you can sort your mostly used and different types of apps, such as OneDrive, Google Chrome, and Access. I can just open up the main window, and those apps are right there at my fingertips.”

Windows 10 Video

Archived Windows 10 Reviews (more than two years old)

General manager at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Easy to use, easy to set up and very stable
  • "The initial setup is very easy."
  • "Occasionally configurations can be a bit tricky."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for just normal documented work, including work schedules or things of that nature.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very user friendly.

The interface of the solution makes it very easy to navigate.

The initial setup is very easy.

The product is very stable.

What needs improvement?

Right now, the solution is quite good and works quite well for us. I don't know if there are features that need improvement.

Occasionally configurations can be a bit tricky.

I've been using the solution for two or three years.

Windows 10
September 2022
Learn what your peers think about Windows 10. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2022.
634,775 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The stability of the solution is very good. We've never had a crash and it's never frozen. I don't recall experiencing bugs or glitches. It's reliable.

We only have about ten people in our company using the solution.

We do plan to increase usage in the future. If we bring on more people, they'll also use Windows 10.

We've never used technical support do to the fact that we've never had issues. Therefore, I can't speak to their level of service. So far, the solution itself is working well. We've been satisfied.

We didn't previously use a different solution.

The implementation is not complex. It's quite straightforward.

The deployment took maybe ten minutes.

You only need one admin person. There isn't much maintenance required.

There aren't additional costs over and above the licensing. The pricing is pretty straightforward. The pricing is in US dollar, however, I'm unsure as to what the full cost is.

What other advice do I have?

We don't have a business relationship with the company. We're just a customer.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten. It's a great product. We have no complaints as to how it's running and it's worked well for us so far. There really isn't anything missing.

Manager-IT at a construction company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Great interface and useful for me that the drivers are loaded by default
  • "Great user interface and drivers are loaded into the solution by default."
  • "A very expensive solution."

What is our primary use case?

I use the solution for desktop computing, PowerPoint and accessing the ERP. I'm an IT manager and we're users of Windows 10.

What is most valuable?

The user interface is great and I like that the drivers are loaded into it by default because it is straight. We don't have to download much and can very easily get it into our network. They also have some good security features.

What needs improvement?

The price is always high. Whenever I go out to buy a computer and want to buy a Windows license for it, it makes up a quarter of the total cost. It sometimes helps if it's bundled with the machine, but it's still expensive.

I've been using this solution for two years.

It's a stable solution, we don't generally have issues with glitches.

It's quite a scalable solution. We have around 400 users.

Two years ago we took annual support from Microsoft and then we shipped it to other vendors where we were directly dealing with Microsoft. There were some issues regarding the solution at that time but things have improved since then.

We use Mac OS in the company. One of our directors prefers it to Windows so we went with that at work. But it really is very costly even though you get good security with it. They are more reliable than Windows and less chance of being hacked or broken into. It's a very sturdy machine. On the other hand, I prefer the ease of use with Windows.

What other advice do I have?

The use of Windows really depends on individual preference, but I would say Windows 10 is better. If you have the money then you can use Mac OS because it would make a difference if you have an iPhone plus an iPad, and you sync everything. To get all that into place requires a lot of money. Windows has its drawbacks and glitches and some instability, but on the whole it works and it's fine.

There are problems with every solution - I would rate this product an eight out of 10.

Windows 10
September 2022
634,775 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Director Lean Infrastructure at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Familiarity, maturity and popular productivity tools make this OS almost indispensable
  • "It is familiar and mature and runs the most popular productivity tools."
  • "The operating system could be more configurable and compatible in integrating with other operating systems."
  • "The core of the operating system needs work to become more stable and less complex. The need to occasionally re-install should not be necessary."

What is our primary use case?

I am using Windows 10 together with Ubuntu Linux as an operating system.

What is most valuable?

I am in the technical, IT area. I love the new Windows subsystem for Linux. Version two came out recently. I like the new functionality and mostly the better integration between the networks and the Windows 10 core system.

I also like that Windows is great for gaming. The gaming experience may actually be the thing that I like the most personally.

What needs improvement?

I always compare products with the competition or what open-source products are doing. I would love for Microsoft to provide or participate in more open-source projects. They could do more expansion with less R&D and learn from what other developers do.

The Windows interface could be much more flexible from a perspective of the user's experience. If you compare other operating systems to the standard Windows desktop experience, the level of configuration for Windows is not so great. You should be able to do more to customize it from the way it looks to the way it performs.

What I also do not likes is the core of the Windows architecture. The registries and complexities that may help it to run fast also lead to issues, latent files, and other issues. Everyone who uses the product knows about having to reinstall Windows. This problem is something that still exists in the latest versions. The operating system works against itself and becomes slower after months of usage. The lag is more apparent if you install a lot of different applications. Eventually, this causes more serious issues and you need to reinstall the operating system. This is not something that you ever have to do on a Linux operating system. Linux is much more flexible. It is much cleaner and it is much easier to configure to your needs.

One other issue I have with Microsoft — more than just the Windows operating system — is the lack of compatibility of their productivity tools suite. Nowadays, most people cannot live without their Office applications. Microsoft is the leader in this. Their Office products are not supported on Linux. In my opinion, the real reason people are still using Windows is not that it is a great operating system, it is because of the integrated productivity tools and familiarity.

For Windows, the core of the operating system needs improvement from the perspective of flexibility and stability.

As far as additional features, it is hard to really pinpoint something that Windows is missing. I think from a feature perspective and as a mature product, they are already pretty feature-heavy. They essentially have everything that a person could need and I do believe that Microsoft is doing a great job from the perspective of continually providing new features.

I would prefer that they further developed the possibility of running other operating system applications. I like the features we got from Windows 10 to help incorporate the use of the Linux system. But I would love it if they made the effort to further expand on that.

So the ability to better integrate with and run other operating systems would be a nice addition.

I have been using the Windows OS product since Windows 3.1 or 3.11. So, I have more than 15 years of experience with Windows. We have been working with Windows 10 for about four years.

In general, the stability of the Windows operating system has greatly improved over the years. The latest versions of Windows 10 is the most improved and it is much better than it was. It still has room for improvement.

We currently have about 250 people using Windows 10 in our organization. There is no real scalability concern.

I am an ex-Microsoft employee, so I do have experience with technical support for Microsoft and the Windows 10 product. The guys on that team are great. They are certainly going out and doing their best. They are helpful. They have made a huge improvement over the last few years. They changed a lot of things in the process of how they work with customers. But honestly, I very rarely open a ticket related to Windows 10. I do not find a need for that. I am in the IT field. I fix issues all the time by myself if I have any with the operating system.

But the support team is helpful and improved.

The installation is very straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

Any advice I have for people considering this product depends on the use case. I would definitely recommend using Windows 10 as an operating system and a familiar choice. But I would definitely also recommend trying other operating systems. It is very important to know what other operating systems have to offer. This one operating system has massive dominance on the market and I do not like the way that 90% of the people are using only Microsoft products without even considering anything else. It is limiting. So my advice is: learn more about other desktop experiences and try Linux as well to see the differences and what it has to offer.

On the scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate Windows 10 as an eight-out-of-ten. Eight is a good rating but Windows can be better.

IT Business Relationship Manager at a energy/utilities company with 10,001+ employees
Easy to install with an intuitive interface that works well on tablets
  • "The solution is easy to install. Even my child could set up the system."
  • "It would be great if the solution was more stable. It's a mass-produced product and people around the world use it extensively, which makes it a target for attacks. It needs better security against hackers."

What is most valuable?

We like the solution as it offers basic functionality and you don't need to be an expert to use it.

The solution supports touch screens, which is useful for me, as I utilize touchscreen devices often. It supports tablets, for example, which is great.

It's a massively popular product. About 80% of the operating systems in the world are Microsoft Windows.

The solution is easy to install. Even my child could set up the system.

The interface is intuitive and very self-explanatory. It's easier to use than Mac or Linux.

The product offers very good instructions.

What needs improvement?

The solution needs to be more resilient against viruses. Apple computers, for example, are great in this sense.

The solution could be more lightweight. The OS should be built lighter. Users shouldn't have to buy the highest-end processor or devices in order to run the OS smoothly. There should be less demand on the hardware.

They could build or create an operating system that's less powerful than now. Currently, every year, we have to buy new devices just to have the best of Microsoft Windows products. If you want to have the best SharePoint, you have to add RAM. You have to have more and more powerful machines, just to have it run properly. It's demanding on the consumer. There are too many upgrades that are necessary and they happen too often.

We've been using the solution since its first release. It's been a while now.

The solution in my opinion isn't very stable. It's vulnerable to attacks.

The initial setup was very straightforward. We didn't have any trouble at all. I simply asked the customer center to set up my particular version. There are no admin privileges on my work laptop, so I don't have authority to add anything, therefore I needed their assistance.

What other advice do I have?

We're Microsoft customers.

We're always on the latest version of the solution. Part of our security policy requires us to be on the latest update at all times.

We have a patch server that will deploy the latest patches, with updates to the clients, to regular machines.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten. If it was more stable and offered better data protection, I would rate it higher.

Ather Khan - PeerSpot reviewer
Head Of Risk Management at a financial services firm with 11-50 employees
A stable operating system that is user-friendly and has good technical support

What is our primary use case?

Windows 10 hosts several applications that I use including Outlook for email and others for searching the internet.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the interface.

What needs improvement?

The speed and performance should be improved.

Easier integration with other platforms would be an improvement.

It should include a low-code or no-code solution for beginners that they can use to write applications.

I have been using Windows 10 for several years.

Windows 10 is a stable operating system.

This product is quite scalable. I expect that we will be increasing our usage of it.

I'm very satisfied with the technical support.

We switched to Windows 10 from the previous version. It was a natural progression and it is more scalable.

I did not have any trouble with the initial setup. It was simple to install.

Our in-house IT team is responsible for deployment and maintenance.

What other advice do I have?

In summary, this is a product that I like a lot and I recommend it.

Senior System Engineer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Stable with great updates and an easy user experience
  • "It offers an easy user experience for our customers."
  • "Users should be able to access the system remotely."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution alongside a system center configuration manager. I am installing it on mobile devices to upgrade and update the security.

What is most valuable?

The solution is modern and updated often.

It offers an easy user experience for our customers.

We find the product to be quite stable.

You can scale the solution easily when you need to.

What needs improvement?

The solution could be improved by simultaneously adding more features and also giving the user more ability to decrease some features to help keep the speed of the device decent.

Users should be able to access the system remotely.

The solution should be more responsive and faster.

It would be helpful if the solution was able to integrate better with other platforms, like Android or Apple.

I've been using the solution for five years.

The solution is quite stable. We don't seem to have any bugs or glitches on the system. It doesn't crash or freeze at all. I consider it to be reliable.

The solution is highly scalable. From Windows 7 to 8 to 10, you can upgrade at any time and you can add storage and remote access. A company that needs to expand it shouldn't have any issues.

Currently, we have more than 3,000 uses on the product. We do plan to increase usage int eh future.

We've used technical support in the past and have found them to be very knowledgable and responsive. I'd rate them nine out of ten in terms of the service they provide.

The initial setup is not complex. It's pretty straightforward.

Deployment took about three years. We had to upgrade many files from Windows 7 to Windows 10. There were some minor issues with the process, however, we were able to overcome them.

We have four people on staff that handle deployment and maintenance.

There are different licenses available, however, I don't know what the costs are. It's not a part of the solution I handle.

What other advice do I have?

We're just customers. We don't have a business relationship with Microsoft.

I'd recommend the solution. I believe a lot of people and companies already use it, to be honest. However, I do need to pay more for monitoring and to fix some issues related to the product.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten.

Embedded Engineer at a manufacturing company with 11-50 employees
The interface is good, but the performance degrades with too many applications open at once
  • "The most valuable features are the interface and the speed of switching between processes."
  • "of the problems with Windows 10 is that it hangs when you open multiple programs."

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

One of the problems with Windows 10 is that it hangs when you open multiple programs. For example, if you are running 10 to 15 applications then the performance will slow down to something similar to Windows 7. Often, I will have Microsoft Office open, as well as my development tools, and once I have been using them for perhaps 20 minutes, everything slows down. Switching between applications at that point can take two or three minutes.

I have been having some trouble with the .NET framework and it took me a full day to install it. The problem seems to be that every time it connects to Microsoft online, it is different. After several attempts, I was finally able to succeed.

I have been using Windows 10 for about six months.

Other than the problem with having many applications open, it is stable. I haven't had any issues with the other functionality.

Most of the people in our company use Windows 10. Some have desktops and some have laptops.

I have not had to contact technical support. Any problems that I have had, I was able to solve on my own.

Windows 10 came pre-installed on my laptop and it was easy to set up. It only took a few minutes to do.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, Windows 10 is a good operating system.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Group Network Specialist at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
Feature rich, stable and scalable operating system
  • "In terms of most valuable feature, it has all the features. We have to use the workforce application like Microsoft Office 365. We are dependent on the operating system."
  • "In terms of what could be improved, I would say the security patches. The security patches do not come very frequently with the operating systems."

What is our primary use case?

The use case is that it is an operating system. People use Windows as an operating system. If you have a laptop at home, you may operate from it. We use desktop machines in our organizations and every user has a Windows operating system.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

In terms of what could be improved, I would say the security patches. The security patches do not come very frequently with the operating systems. So this requires a lot of improvement because the security patches only come every now and then.

We started using Windows 10 four to five years ago. Before that we had Windows 7.

Windows 10 is stable. There's no doubt about it.

The scalability is good. From one to five, I would give it a four.

Right now we have 1,000 plus people working on it.

The initial setup is straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

I wold advise them to check out the licensing, which needs improvement. They should consider it because the Microsoft operating system works with Microsoft Office license. We have to pay separately. I think they should prepare a package, with the operating system and the M365 license combined and there should be a big, good, and attractive package for the customers. This would be an improvement on the product.

On a scale of one to ten I would give Windows 10 an eight.

Architect at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
User-friendly and is updated regularly, but the security needs to be improved
  • "It is easy to operate and perform any tasks."
  • "If you need servers to be deployed in a production environment then you definitely want to look at a different operating system."

What is our primary use case?

We are a service company and we use a variety of products that are guided by the clients' requirements. Windows 10 is one of the operating systems that we use for this.

What is most valuable?

I like the fact that it is user-friendly. It is easy to operate and perform any tasks.

It is easy to train others in the use of Windows 10.

What needs improvement?

If you need servers to be deployed in a production environment then you definitely want to look at a different operating system. From an end-user point of view, I don't see in issues in using Windows.

Improvements should be made to security, making it more resistant to hacking and malware.

I have been using Windows 10 for more than five years.

If you are looking at production systems then you are definitely going to have an issue with Windows. For normal users that don't require much in terms of system capacity, it is okay. It is quite manageable from the perspective of a normal user.

We are a small organization and everybody uses Windows.

We also use Linux, depending on the client.

The initial setup is straightforward and easy to understand.

What other advice do I have?

They have been evolving Windows 10 since it was released. Every time we open it, there is something new. It used to be that email and other utilities were on the system, but now they are cloud-based. Whether the older or newer interfaces are better, or not, doesn't matter because you get used to it and move along.

In summary, Windows 10 is a good operating system and I recommend it.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Gaurav-Jain - PeerSpot reviewer
Consultant (Architect) at MasterCard Incorporated
Straightforward to set up, user-friendly, and support an entire ecosystem of tools
  • "Microsoft technology is very simple and user friendly."
  • "Windows needs improvements made with respect to security because it is still vulnerable."

What is our primary use case?

I am an application developer and Windows 10 is the environment that I prefer to use.

What is most valuable?

Microsoft technology is very simple and user friendly.

Some of the features that I like are Skype and the Windows Store.

Most of Microsoft Office is essential to use.

OneNote and Visio are features that I use in my day-to-day activities.

What needs improvement?

Windows needs improvements made with respect to security because it is still vulnerable. Often, there are vulnerabilities found that they are releasing patches for. For example, Windows servers are still not very difficult to hack. When I was working with their products several years ago, it was really easy to break the Windows Server password.

There are some features such as wireless display and remote desktop connections that are not available in the Home Edition, but it would be really helpful for home users to have access to these.

I would like to see some kind of tool that can be used to plug in and connect to Azure technologies.

Of course, there are issues or bugs that are found, and we can help by reporting them to the Windows team. There regularly work on them and provide patches to update and fix them as soon as possible.

I have not personally spoken with Microsoft technical support for Windows 10 because there is a team in our office that deals with them directly.

I have experience with Linux, but Windows 10 is more user-friendly in easier to use. In Linux, you have to remember command syntax, but in Windows, this is not required. A lot of help for Windows users is available.

The initial setup is really straightforward. It is plug-and-play and you don't need much experience or learning before performing the setup.

What other advice do I have?

In summary, my experience with Windows 10 is really good and I like most of the features. It is easy to use compared to other operating systems like Ubuntu. They provide the entire ecosystem including tools and technologies, and Microsoft has that whole umbrella available. It makes you feel comfortable.

ItishaYadav - PeerSpot reviewer
Data Scientist at Instant systems Inc.
Scalable with good stability, however it needs a better system for initiating updates
  • "The solution is scalable. If an organization needs to expand it out, they shouldn't run into issues doing so."
  • "The only thing which concerns me is updates. It gets updated often. Sometimes, however, it automatically gets updated. That is an issue. It can happen when you do not want it to be done. It's possible it can start and your files are not saved. They may be open while your laptop enters sleep mode. Then, when you re-open the computer to continue work, it all of a sudden decides to update, destroying your work."

What is most valuable?

I don't know if I can discuss the solution in relation to other Windows versions, however, I can compare it to other OS like Unbuntu. For example, it's quite a secure operating system. The ease with which you can download different Python libraries is very good there.

If you're a developer, you can do everything with the help of the Command Prompt and console.

What needs improvement?

I'm more into artificial intelligence and the data science side. So I do not like Windows that much.

Setting up the environment variable, etc., needs improvement. This is true not only for Windows 10 but for Windows as a whole. It is currently a huge mess. Due to this, working with many libraries and packages becomes a difficult task. If they could find a better solution or a replacement for environment variables, I'd be extremely happy.

Once I accidentally did something that erased hidden folders on the C drive. It caused a lot of issues. Windows got corrupted on me. They should work to ensure that it isn't possible to accidentally delete these files or there should be a replica for them on the hard disc or something of that nature.

Google has functionality whereby if you have your email ID open on your phone, on your Android phone, that means you can sync everything on your Google drive. The same thing should be provided by Microsoft. I do not think Microsoft provides a dedicated account to every valid Windows holder. This should be done so that everything you have on your local system should be somehow in synchronization with the cloud. That way, if something happens, like your laptop is stolen, or your laptop is corrupted all of a sudden, your data is not misplaced. You have your data somewhere. A sync with the cloud service should be available.

I've been using the solution for seven to eight months at this point. It's been less than a year.

Windows 10 is a stable solution; it provides everything. There's a good Windows store where you can go and get your apps. There are other things also that Microsoft provides as well. For example, on Windows, you can download a virtual machine. If you want to use Ubuntu, as I do, due to the fact that I am more comfortable with Ubuntu, you can download the VM there on Windows and start with your work.

Everything is provided by Windows, and things are stable. If I talk about Windows only, in between OS such as Linux, then I'd say Linux is better. However, overall, Windows 10 is pretty reliable.

So far I haven't had to reach out to technical support; I can't speak to its quality of service or the level of responsiveness to queries.

I have experience with Unbuntu as well. I used Unbuntu about a year back. Now I'm using Windows for data science. Initially, I used Ubuntu for data science. So I've used both the platforms.

The commands are very good and very easy in Ubuntu as compared to Windows. In Windows, you'll have to do a lot of things. You need to, for example set the environment variable, etc., which is not necessary in Ubuntu. You can directly download and put it in your user directory. You can also utilize the services from there. So I would say from the developer's point of view, and from an AI practitioner's point of view, Linux Ubuntu is a good option to go for.

While I found that the initial setup was very straightforward on Linux's Ubuntu, it was a bit complex and much harder in Windows. It's not straightforward per se.

I haven't used Windows 10  for deployment. I've used the Linux machine only. Deploying on Ubuntu won't take much of a time. It's very easy.

What other advice do I have?

We're just customers. We don't have a business relationship with the vendor.

I'm not sure which version of the solution I'm using currently is.

Windows 10 is quite a stable version of the solution. If you compare it with Windows 8, it is much, much better. If one wants to use Windows as an operating system, I would recommend it. If one is more comfortable with other operating systems, they can run it in a virtual machine and give partition on Windows so that half of the memory is allocated for other OS.

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten.

Information Security Consultant at a consultancy with 11-50 employees
Stable and scalable with good security features
  • "The latest versions of the solution have increased their level of stability. It's quite good now."
  • "The solution should offer a bit of an easier integration with authentication methods, like FIDO or FIDO2 authentication with the USB-C. They should try to simplify the process of authenticating the user. Nobody wants to remember thousands of passwords."

What is most valuable?

The solution's most valuable aspect is the vast integration of PowerShell to help automate the community and every system maintenance task.

The solution has implemented security capabilities quite well. There is a new technology that allows you to put your security credentials in the EPM module has been great.

The initial setup is easy.

What needs improvement?

The patch deployment in corporate enterprises could be improved in a way to specify when the system will update and to prevent users from interacting with this system during the actual updates. If you have a system running in a production facility, the user is only able to access a dedicated application when you then update the system, the application has to be stopped. When this happens, the system is open for manipulation. Microsoft should invest more in a way to protect users from interacting with this system during the update process.

It's a very edge case. It's really important for us. I know some other production facilities. There are some third party solutions in place which tried to tackle this issue, but it would be better if Microsoft directly addressed it on their own.

The solution should offer a bit of an easier integration with authentication methods, like FIDO or FIDO2 authentication with the USB-C. They should try to simplify the process of authenticating the user. Nobody wants to remember thousands of passwords.

I've been using the solution for three years so far.

Windows 10 is really stable now. There aren't bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's very reliable.

In the case of scalability, it would be easy to expand the solution. It is quite straightforward to execute on scalability. A company shouldn't have trouble with it when they need to expand.

Currently, we have about 8,000 users on the solution.

I've never personally contacted technical support. We often try to contact more third-party support services. I can't remember any direct contact with support, so I can't speak to the quality of services that they provide.

We have used a lot of Linux's systems, however not for clients. In the past, for end user computing, like running workstations, we already used Windows 10. It was Windows 7 before that.

The initial setup is a very straightforward process. It's not complex. It's easy to deploy and users are adapting to it quickly. The whole process is very fast.

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer. We don't have a business relationship with Microsoft.

The Microsoft ecosystem works really well when I have an active directory and am using Microsoft Outlook, Exchange, etc. They interact really well together.

In regards to the solution being cost-effective, I would say the latest technologies from Microsoft have an administrative system that is much easier than running IBM. It's now so well interconnected that if you're trying to migrate to the cloud it's easy.

Microsoft really tries to fill all of a company's technical needs, which works really well.

I would rate the solution a solid nine out of ten.

It's really great. Microsoft has done a lot to improve their offerings over the last few years. You can still improve every product somehow. They could always add more features and continuously refine the product. However, at this point, it's working really well for us.

OnyaToochukwu - PeerSpot reviewer
CEO/Programmer at Tech Elight
Faster, more efficient, and more secure than the previous OS
  • "The work is now faster and more efficient because most of the running programs do not crash during the run stage, like the previous version we were using for work."
  • "The frequent update of the Operating system is bad because, during each update, most of the programs or applications do not function well."

What is our primary use case?

I use this Operating system for programming because the previous version was not serving its purpose. Secondly, I use this OS for blogging and I spent most of my time online. My online time includes other IT services that I use the operating system for.

How has it helped my organization?

The work is now faster and more efficient because most of the running programs do not crash during the run stage, like the previous version we were using for work. It is more secure as related to the task or work we have stored in our system.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the easy assess to most of the settings and features of the PC. Another is that it is more secure because Windows Defender is very efficient and active to detect viruses or trojans that may make the user vulnerable to cybersecurity attacks and other threats.

What needs improvement?

The frequent update of the Operating system is bad because, during each update, most of the programs or applications do not function well. Updates should be in intervals of every three to four months, and they should have the user's choice and interests in mind before any update.

I have been using this solution for two months.
Curtis Wright - PeerSpot reviewer
IT System Administrator at Frank, Rimerman & Co
Users can use Miracast to the Surface Hub for meetings and client walkthroughs

What is most valuable?

Most of the best Windows 10 features are centered around getting you where you want to go faster. The new right-click menu is fantastic from an IT perspective. It gives access to many commonly used tools, like Device Manager, Computer Management, PowerShell, Task Manager and Programs and Features, right from the desktop. The new Task Manager is also much more fully featured and informative.

The overall speed of Windows 10 is fantastic as well. It boots quickly, shuts down quickly, and the overall use is snappy and responsive.

Windows 10 Pro and Enterprise come with fully featured Hyper-V. Desktop admins can create VMs for testing purposes without the need for extra machines.

How has it helped my organization?

Users can use Miracast to the Surface Hub, which is great for meetings and client walkthroughs.

What needs improvement?

The settings and control panel are oddly disjointed. Things that show up in the Control Panel do not always show up in Settings and vice-versa. It is a pain to remember what is where.

We have used this nine months in production.

There is also a tremendous amount of bloatware on Windows 10. Without performing offline maintenance on the image, you have to clean up quite a bit of stray apps and consumer level services to get it to be usable in a corporate environment.

Our version of Trend caused Windows 10 to freeze unexpectedly at random times. Only after Trend released a compatible version did the issues subside and the OS become stable.

We use SCCM, so scalability is no issue, once the imaging process was ironed out.

We primarily use online forums and communities unless you want to pay Microsoft to open a support case. It does benefit from being the most popular OS on the planet, as there is amble advice out there from third parties.

We used Windows 7 and are migrating to be ahead of the support EOL.

It takes a few iterations of installing Windows 10 to get everything tweaked to a place of having a smooth imaging and configuration process. Little things like registry tweaks, GPO tweaks, take time to iron out. Having an imaging solution is a must to scale in any way.

We implemented it in-house. I did the implementation.

Get a KMS server and a volume license if you are a medium sized business. Being able to wipe and re-image is crucial for long term stability of your fleet. Having a Multiple Activation Key (MAK) makes it so every new activation counts against your total.

Work with a reseller like CDW to get licensing costs that fit your needs, as Microsoft's model is confusing.

We did not evaluate other options. We need to use Windows to support our finance applications.

What other advice do I have?

Windows 10 is the best parts of Windows 8 and Windows 7 rolled into one. Windows 8 started a lot of features and functions that shine here in Windows 10, while the criticism has allowed Microsoft to work at user experience more for this iteration. There is a bit too much bloatware by default, and some strange decisions about settings aside, it is a great OS that should only get better with time.

NorthlakeRG - PeerSpot reviewer
Managing Partner / Independent Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
This put a scope (pre-assessment) on those applications unready or behind in development efforts.

Valuable Features:

Application Start control, of course, but the refresh and deployment was beneficial to our global efforts. Lot of accounting types in organisation. AZURE AD subscriber has updates within product. Compliance to ECCN/CCAT (exporting), NIST, ISO, IEEE; quick and efficient closure. Abandon IE, Mozilla (e.g.Chrome, FireFox); settle with EDGE was challenging and big adjustment. This put a scope (pre-assessment) on those applications unready or behind in development efforts, devops pre-scanning had to be deployed. Long 10 months and rework in devops, set SDLC with some suppliers to perform or loose, sign-offs on setting on virtual site (i.e. closed to desktops by policy).

Project include 2016 Office 365 Products, and fresh start.

Improvements to My Organization:

Reduction of security incident events and mundane tasks in 3 months.

Room for Improvement:

Lots of updates, but not lots of production.

Deployment Issues:

We've had no issues with deployment.

Stability Issues:

It requires a lot of updates in order to be stable.

Scalability Issues:

We've had no issues with scalability.

Download our free Windows 10 Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: September 2022