WhereScape RED OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

WhereScape RED is the #21 ranked solution in top Data Integration Tools. PeerSpot users give WhereScape RED an average rating of 8.0 out of 10. WhereScape RED is most commonly compared to SSIS: WhereScape RED vs SSIS. WhereScape RED is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 71% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 20% of all views.

Download the Data Integration Tools Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is WhereScape RED?

WhereScape is data warehouse software that automates the Data Warehouse lifecycle. From implementation to maintenance, WhereScape will ensure your data warehouse projects are completed up to 5x faster than manual coding.

WhereScape RED Customers

British American Tobacco, Cornell University, Allianz Benelux, Finnair, Solarwinds and many more.

WhereScape RED Pricing Advice

What users are saying about WhereScape RED pricing:
"Our company purchased a corporate unlimited license."

WhereScape RED Reviews

BI Analyst DW Architect at a mining and metals company with 10,001+ employees
Quick to set up, flexible, and stable
  • "WhereScape is really helpful in terms of architecture data. Everything is one of automation. Two people can do thousands of tables in one day or two. It saves a lot of time."
  • "Technical support isn't the best."

What is our primary use case?

We are a typical manufacturing company. We have around 65 to 70 manufacturing locations all over the world, and we hold down 60 different sources of data coming from ERP, CRM, and other applications kind of thing. We have eight different data source types, such as Oracle, SQL, et cetera. It really helps in terms of automation. We have a template and we have data type matching in place. It's even configured to be a drag and drop and helps you to segregate all the objects in types of projects and tools.

How has it helped my organization?

We were a division base for the department under the warehousing team, and have been moving to the centralizing and standardizing of some aspects, and combining all the individuals doing warehouses into one centralized enterprise-level warehousing team. The solution allows us to streamline users so that fewer people are needed to do the warehousing for the entire company.

What is most valuable?

It's easy to deploy. Everything is metadata-based and we can do work by location also. It's easy to segregate between teams.

The solution is very stable.

It's compatible even with old methodologies.

The solution is able to automatically generate code for you for managing procedures.

The product is very flexible.

You are able to easily create statements.

The initial setup is quick and easy.

What needs improvement?

The scheduling part I don't like due to the fact that it allows you to schedule as a parent and child and other things, however, the error trackability has to be a little more user-friendly.

It's also not user-friendly in the sense that it loads all the jobs and there are not enough filters so that it doesn't need to load everything.

If the job fails, you don't get any type of alert or email. It would be ideal if there was some sort of automated alert message.

Technical support isn't the best.

It would be ideal if we understood how to do it in a card exception regarding exclusion, where the card is captured separately rather than filling the whole process on the data inbound side. Certain workloads like this are organized in such a way where you seem to be doubling the work as opposed to streamlining the process.

November 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about WhereScape, Microsoft, Informatica and others in Data Integration Tools. Updated: November 2022.
655,711 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I've been using the solution for two and a half years at this point.

The stability capabilities are really awesome. It doesn't crash out. It also doesn't do sluggishness or anything. It's fast and stable.

The solution is scalable in that you can have multiple people working on it at once and it won't slow down.

The data scalability depends on the methodology you use.

Technical support isn't the best. They seem to be more money-oriented than customer-oriented. We found that after the purchase, assistance and support really dropped off.

Previously, we were completely on the Microsoft stack. This product gave us a bit more automation.

The product is easy to deploy. It's not overly complex or difficult.

It only takes one person two or three hours to complete the task. It's very fast and simple.

The deployment was handled in-house. We have many experts on staff. We did not need any outside assistance.

What other advice do I have?

We tend to use the latest version of the solution.

We are considering the cloud. We are currently debating whether we need to go to WhereScape or drop WhereScape and we go to the cloud. I've been asking about their host-ability and version controllability if we move to the cloud and they were not giving too many promising answers. Basically, when we go to cloud viewer, we want it to go completely on a platform as a service, not infrastructure as a service, as IaaS is a little more costly than PaaS - The Chinese PaaS.

Also, we would like to use, as a team, seven or eight people at scale - not just on the server installed and then use it as one or two accounts. The whole stability issue on the cloud needs a little more clarification.

I'd advise companies considering the solution that, if it is on-premise and they have a good volume of data coming, it can be easy to start using it. I'd say that negotiating is important and making sure that the pricing is clear, as they can come back and alter the price after the fact.

Other than that, if you had a lean team, I would say go for Wherescape. It's simple, straightforward, and not too complex. That said, if you have more XML semi-structured data, or unstructured data, you might want to look for some other product.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten.

Paul Kellett - PeerSpot reviewer
BI Practioner - Consultant at KIS Ltd
Improves development time and ease of maintainability - particularly useful for maintainability
  • "The most valuable feature is the metadata generated code."
  • "Project-based searching of data objects in the data warehouse browser needs to be improved."

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case is Data Warehouse & Mart Development plus data integration and content generation applications. We operate in many environments including Teradata, Oracle, & SQL Server.

How has it helped my organization?

Using this solution sped up development and allowed for easy maintenance.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the metadata generated code and data structures and that it is a fully integrated environment. This has many benefits. It allows for rapid generation of ELT without writing code thus less errors, tracking consequences of changes, tracking transforms, improved ease of maintenance, it uses the data structures directly, it is drag and drop with dialogue entered information. It also automatically includes full audit capabilities.

What needs improvement?

Project-based searching of data objects in the data warehouse browser needs to be improved. When processing stage (work) tables if there are a lot then one has to scroll through a larger list. There is an ability to have projects or subject areas for processing that if applied to source tables would speed development.

On a separate note - those who have criticized this project for having a row based cursor and thus inefficient approach have not understood how the product works. I have used it for 10ish years and >99% of my processing is set based and efficient and supported by the product. It explicitly asks for set based vs row-based processing.

I have been using WhereScape RED for thirteen years.

Very - it is mature and has remarkably few defects.

Used it on a Telco enterprise data warehouse using Teradata. As it uses database processing (ELT) it is dependent on the underlying database. It can scale to very large volumes with the appropriate underlying database.

Good.

I used SSIS - it struggles once the volumes increase substantially, has relatively poor error handling and misses many standard transforms.  I was BI qualified with Microsoft.

Also used BO data services - not an expert but found job management to be exceedingly poor.

Simple. Install - set up ODBC connections, database links to source and install which automatically installs metadata database and job management scheduler.

Multiple implementations and a mix of teams. Generally vendor teams more successful as they understood the product principles and applied these rather than worked in their former fashion.

Not sure anymore around licensing costs as the product has been purchased by Idera

SSIS, BO Data Services, Oracle stack, Cognos

What other advice do I have?

For the cost it has a very effective bang for buck. See comment about new owners.

Hybrid Cloud
Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Multiple solutions in several environments. I have either been a direct contractor to the customers or a technical director of a company which delivered solutions
November 2022
655,711 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Manager IT - Business Intelligence & Analytics at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
An automated data integration tool with a useful data vault, but performance could be better
  • "I like the data vault implementations."
  • "Customization could be better."

What is our primary use case?

I used WhereScape RED to do a proof of concept and understand how it worked.

What is most valuable?

I like the data vault implementations. It's useful. I also like the ELT feature. I also like the automatic generation of logic as it saves time. I like anything from the beta world, and that's why I took a look at this product.

What needs improvement?

Customization could be better. When you need to modify or write some custom code, it can get a little messy. Performance can also be better. It would be nice to have synchronicity when integrating multiple tools.

I've been using WhereScape RED for a year or two.

I received very good support from the Asia Pacific team.

We have used IBM InfoSphere DataStage and SSIS before.

The initial setup is fairly straightforward. It was a little challenging because we needed additional access.

Our company purchased a corporate unlimited license.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this product to new users.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give WhereScape RED a seven.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
Download our free Data Integration Tools Report and find out what your peers are saying about WhereScape, Microsoft, Informatica, and more!
Updated: November 2022