Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

Trend Micro Email Security OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Trend Micro Email Security is #21 ranked solution in top Email Security tools. PeerSpot users give Trend Micro Email Security an average rating of 8.4 out of 10. Trend Micro Email Security is most commonly compared to Microsoft Defender for Office 365: Trend Micro Email Security vs Microsoft Defender for Office 365. Trend Micro Email Security is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 46% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 21% of all views.

Download the Email Security Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is Trend Micro Email Security?

Stop more attacks with a cross-generational blend of threat techniques.

Trend Micro Email Security Customers

MedImpact Healthcare Systems, Air21, Azra Solutions, CBOSS, De Montfort University, Depaeuw, DHR Health, Fukui University Hospital

Trend Micro Email Security Video

Trend Micro Email Security Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Trend Micro Email Security pricing:
  • "The price of Trend Micro Email Security is annual. There are no additional fees."
  • "The cost is about $6,000 for 300 users for one year."
  • Trend Micro Email Security Reviews

General Manager -Mfg at a consumer goods company with 5,001-10,000 employees
    Easily configurable solution suitable for small to medium businesses
    • "The best features are that it is very convenient to configure new rules onto it and it gives very good insight on what has entered my system and what the email security solution has taken action upon."
    • "There is a lot of room for improvement towards the phishing kind of email filtering, with the different hijacking attacks, and with the kind of password attacks which these phisher attackers do."

What is most valuable?

From an email security standpoint, the best features are that it is very convenient to configure new rules onto it and it gives very good insight on what has entered my system and what the email security solution has taken action upon. It has future analytical insight on what kind of attacks it could come across which would have already penetrated your system that you should be aware of. If there is anything which has already propagated inside the system, we can look into the other email security solutions to get that validated and then it gets things under control.

What needs improvement?

There is a lot of room for improvement towards the phishing kind of email filtering, with the different hijacking attacks, and with the kind of password attacks which these phisher attackers do. The engine is intelligent enough to block any link which is coming in the email because it checks the quality of the reputation of the link. But it is written by a very intelligent person using a very localized domain so it lacks that functionality. There are other solutions available in the market, such as Proofpoint and Barracuda, that have slightly better intelligence around that, maybe they have more attack feeds coming in or maybe they are working a little harder on the resource side. Their response towards such emails is very granular whereas Trend Micro's is higher.

Maybe email security is not the goal for Trend Micro, because the other players like Proofpoint, Barracuda and Microsoft are working essentially on the email security. So they are very focused and since the products are completely driven towards email security they give a better posture and have better performance there. But from a threat prevention point of view and as the first wall of anti-virus defense, Trend Micro tends to be a superior product.

I have been using Trend Micro Email Security for two and a half to three years.

Stability-wise, we have not found any challenges so far.

I don't know if I can fully comment on that, because we have a limited base, a limited number of users, and maybe our organization is not the organization which should ideally comment on the stability. But the solution has been available all the time, there was no downtime in our service period and we are not facing any challenges regarding availability.

September 2022
    Find out what your peers are saying about Trend Micro, Microsoft, Fortinet and others in Email Security. Updated: September 2022.
    632,779 professionals have used our research since 2012.

In India they provide very good support.

We have not faced any kind of challenges here. I'm not sure about other regions and their services there. For us, it has been a very good experience, because the vendor we work with has very good expertise in Trend Micro. The OEM itself is there and they are available most of the time, even 100% of the time. So it's good.

Whenever we had some issues with our email services, they were all available.

The initial setup was very straightforward. I think it took us 15 days.

It was very, very quick because we were on the cloud setup. It was just a few steps so that our emails go there, get filtered and then come back to us. Then a few fine tunings so that we don't block legitimate emails.

I think the email security domain is a very mature domain now. If you look at Gartner, for example, they have stopped publishing their quadrants for email security because they have declared that it's a very mature market and players which are in email security already know that they are very deep into the services.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale of one to ten, I would give Trend Micro Email Security a seven.

Some of their features should focus more on preventing the emails which are malicious in nature from entering into the user mailbox and they should have a feature to completely remove it from the entire email system. For example Microsoft has an option where if there is a malicious email you can just identify it and with one click you can delete every email in the system in the organization for whoever has received it. Similarly, there must be some kind of awareness mechanism for the user, even for whoever is not receiving it. They should be able to send out some kind of email or some kind of awareness to the user not to respond to any malicious services. In my experience throughout my career, making your users aware of email threats helps to get control of the threat by almost 70%.

If you receive 10 emails out of which four to five would be spams, one or two may be malicious. If you are aware of it you will not respond to it. But in the initial stages, you might have clicked on the link or responded to their request. But eventually, when you learn about these malicious things, you automatically hesitate responding to them, or maybe you just don't read them. Those kinds of responsive behavior comes with time. If you teach your people they will not respond and your email security solution will look better because people will not get into the wrong traps.

For small to medium sized business, Trend Micro Email Security fits very well because cost-wise it is effective and because their technical resources are widely available in India, the Asia Pacific region, and in Europe. However, when we look at it from an enterprise user perspective, where the number of users can be huge, we take more of a risk opting for a less expert solution. In terms of email security, I would not rate Trend Micro as an expert solution. There are others available which are doing this better than Trend Micro. Once Trend Micro is at their scale, at that point only would I recommend Trend Micro. But for the small and medium industries, I would recommend it because they have limited budgets and they work in a different sector of the market.

But for the enterprise customers, I think they should look at some better solutions which are dedicated for email security. Email is the most critical part of the organization, so you should always choose the expert.

Gerente de operaciones at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
    Efficient, secure, and good support
    • "The most valuable feature of Trend Micro Email Security is the security level it provides. The solution is efficient."
    • "Trend Micro Email Security could improve by advancing its artificial intelligence in email security. There are rules that have to be configured. There should be less configuring."

What is our primary use case?

We use Trend Micro Email Security Protect customers from email spam, suspicious IPs, or domains.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of Trend Micro Email Security is the security level it provides. The solution is efficient.

What needs improvement?

In a future release, the dashboard should bring visibility of the risk to the organization. More executive dashboards of the level of security that we could have inside of the organization. The dashboards or reports could help us to bring more visibility at an executive level, it would be useful.

Mm-hmm. And have you seen the ROI?

I have been using Trend Micro Email Security for approximately four years.

In my office, we have approximately 60 people using Trend Micro Email Security.

We are receiving good support from Trend Micro Email Security since we are partners.

I have not seen ROI from Trend Micro Email Security.

The price of Trend Micro Email Security is annual. There are no additional fees.

I have evaluated other solutions.

What other advice do I have?

I would prefer us to use the Proofpoint solution.

I rate Trend Micro Email Security an eight out of ten.

It's a good solution, but I think that there are some improvements that they should do to better compete with Proofpoint

September 2022
    632,779 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    CBO at a security firm with 11-50 employees
    Reseller
    Provides email security like spam filtering, protection from spam fishing, and protection from fraudulent content

What is our primary use case?

This solution is used for email security like spam filtering, spam protection from spam fishing, and protection from fraudulent content.

The solution can be on-prem or on cloud. We implement it as a cloud solution.

What needs improvement?

There is a limitation when customers are using their email from a third-party solution that isn't from Trend Micro.

It's stable.

It's cloud-built, so it's scalable.

There is a local team, and they're responsive. I would rate them 4 out of 5.

Trend Micro Email Security has a feature for secure protection of OneDrive, Google Drive, and CloudApp security. With Barracuda, these features are not available for protection of OneDrive or Google Drive.

It's not easy, but it's not very difficult.

I would rate the setup for implementation 4 out of 5.

Everything is hosted on the Trend Micro Cloud. They provide an agent, and the agent installs the solution on the user's PC. There is no hardware required for implementation.

The cost is about $6,000 for 300 users for one year. Compared to Barracuda, it's not expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution 7 out of 10.

Hybrid Cloud
    VP Delivery, UK at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Plenty of features, integrates well, and reliable
    • "The most valuable features of this solution are the antivirus, antispam, and integration with cloud services. This is a multifunctional solution."
    • "The initial setup was straightforward. This is a virtual appliance, it takes a short time to deploy the solution. However, it is not difficult if you understand the technology. You must have good knowledge of the email security area to set up the product correctly. There are many features in this solution and a high risk of having mistakes with the configuration."

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution for gateway security protection for inbound and outbound emails from the organization.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The solutions manufacturer tries to upgrade the customer to move from on-premises to the cloud. They plan to replace virtual appliances with hardware appliances. I think that this is not a good idea. A virtual appliance is more flexible in implementation and usage, and they think that it is not a good idea to leave the development as is.

It is a very powerful and stable solution and is one of the leaders in the market.

The solution is scalable.

The technical support is good.

The initial setup was straightforward. This is a virtual appliance, it takes a short time to deploy the solution. However, it is not difficult if you understand the technology. You must have good knowledge of the email security area to set up the product correctly. There are many features in this solution and a high risk of having mistakes with the configuration.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Trend Micro Email Security a ten out of ten.

Download our free Email Security Report and find out what your peers are saying about Trend Micro, Microsoft, Fortinet, and more!
    Updated: September 2022