Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

ThousandEyes OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

ThousandEyes is #18 ranked solution in best Network Monitoring Tools. PeerSpot users give ThousandEyes an average rating of 9.0 out of 10. ThousandEyes is most commonly compared to Cisco Secure Network Analytics: ThousandEyes vs Cisco Secure Network Analytics. ThousandEyes is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 74% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 24% of all views.

Download the Network Monitoring Software Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is ThousandEyes?

ThousandEyes is a Network Intelligence platform that delivers visibility into every network an organization relies on, whether public or private. ThousandEyes enables users to optimize application delivery, end-user experience and ongoing infrastructure investments.

With cloud, enterprises can innovate much faster, but the growing number of cloud and SaaS applications means that more apps are being delivered over the Internet. This increases dependence on the Internet, a public “best effort” network, and other third-party infrastructures, substantially reducing the ability of IT teams to predict, visualize and control operational behavior. This results in a chaotic and unmanageable IT environment, making issue resolution a time-consuming ordeal, potentially impacting reputation and revenue. ThousandEyes has innovated an approach based on an unmatched distribution of smart agents across the Internet and enterprise, providing visibility all the way to the end user. ThousandEyes gathers and analyzes massive volumes of Network Intelligence data from all of these vantage points, enabling organizations to solve even their most obscure performance problems in minutes. By using ThousandEyes in the planning and testing phases of cloud adoption, customers can also strategically identify and fix underlying problems before production deployment of business-critical applications.

The ThousandEyes solution is ubiquitous across industry sectors, and since launching in mid-2013, customers have come from a diverse set of industry sectors, which include Silicon Valley technology companies, financial services, healthcare, pharmaceuticals, retail, manufacturing and education.

ThousandEyes Customers

Wayfair, GitHub, Craigslist, Comcast, SurveyMonkey, Lyft, Box, HP, Zendesk, IO Data Centers, Good Technology, NNTCommunications, Proofpoint, Schneider, Crowdstrike, Avera, Pitney Bowes, InstartLogic, Shutterfly, Shutterstock, Condé Nast, Roche, Jive, Actelion, Brocade, Infor, Okta, JLL, DigitalOcean, Zuora, NetSuite, CloudFlare, One, DemonWare, Quantcast, Carbonite, CareerBuilder, Prosper, Oscar, Slack

ThousandEyes Video

ThousandEyes Reviews

Flavio Estevam - PeerSpot reviewer
CEO at a financial services firm with 11-50 employees
Scalable with good authentification and great technical support
  • "The authentication overall - including to the VPN and LAN - is excellent."
  • "The guest portal is hard to use."

What is our primary use case?

The typical use case for this solution is for authentication devices in the network. It's for authentication in cable networks and WiFi networks and is used as well as enterprise WiFi for branch offices. The main use case, therefore, is basically for LAN and corporate WIFI.

What is most valuable?

The authentication overall - including to the VPN and LAN - is excellent. Authentication to devices with less duplication is great.

What needs improvement?

The guest portal is hard to use. Clients have faced many difficulties, especially around various mobile devices in order to get LAN authentication. They need to improve this area. Right now, the user experience isn't the best.

The guest portal customization also isn't ideal. It's quite difficult to achieve. In some cases, you need to point to another external portal completely in order to provide more functionality.

The solution is multi-connective and it's pretty good. If you compare Cisco to HP, Cisco is better, however, it's expensive to implement it and operate it. I need to consolidate and configure our Cisco systems and configure out LAN to DNA. However, the DNA has poor authentification and automation when configured with the solution. There needs to be better integration in the next version or better features that can patch the two together effectively. Otherwise, right now, if it stays as it is, it's not great.

In a future release, it would be nice to see more automation with integration in DNA and the product. This would make for an easier administration.

We've had the solution for three years at this point.

September 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Cisco, SolarWinds, Kentik and others in Network Monitoring Software. Updated: September 2022.
632,779 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The stability is nice. It's good. We have small bugs occasionally, however, this is normal in software solutions. The complications of the solution come when checking the initially projected metrics of compatibility. We have a virtual suite, virtual controller, and virtual supplicant. If this works well in the initial process, we don't have any problems in the final installation.

The solution is very scalable. We have two models and we've separated functions now in many servers. Admin solution monitors everything in order to receive logs. In many cases, it's a load balancer situation. If you want, you can, by using a load balancer, try to provide scalability. It's mostly scalable. It's very good.

We have multi-use cases and use the solution for both big and medium-sized companies.

Technical support is very good and Cisco does a really good job of helping vendors. We're quite satisfied with the level of service they provide.

I don't handle the implementation or deployment. I only project and provide a logical projection for the client's needs, including how many servers, how many licenses, how many features, etc. will be needed. However, I don't deliver the projects.

That said, the installation as far as I understand it, is complex.

It's complex in the sense of personalizing it. The implementation itself doesn't need to be complex, however, it takes a few hours of work. The actualizing of the VMware and hardware servers can be pretty expensive.

Usually, deployment requires 18 hours per server to install and actualize. However, if you need to personalize it, the rule is to authenticate and to provide tags, too. Due to the segmentation, you need to plan for a six to 13-day deployment period.

What other advice do I have?

We're a reseller. I sell products. I don't use the solution myself. I sell cloud products, security and network products, firewalls, data centers, and collaboration tools. We have many partners including Cisco, Fortinet, VMware, etc.

In terms of this product, we sell different versions of the solution and not just the latest.

We typically deal with on-premises deployment for this product and the cloud has many security issues in Brazil. For big clients, it's typically on-premises.

Overall, I would rate the solution nine out of ten.

Senior Service Engineer at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Reliable. simple to set up, and offers fast monitoring capabilities
  • "It's fairly easy to set up."
  • "Once I fully use the tool 100%, I'm sure I would have something to critique, however, for now, I'm happy with it."

What is our primary use case?

We usually monitor for our public prefixes and propagations and if they are getting dropped or there is a route application. It is mainly on the public-facing side or the internet-facing use case. There are other use cases, however, for me, for the work that I do, that's what I'm using a ThousandEyes for.

How has it helped my organization?

With ThousandEyes, it's one click or one place where I can see all of my public prefixes, how long it takes, when the last update was, where a route was missing from the internet, or is it actually causing a black hole. That's where I've been using it, and so far so good. It has made my life easier for sure.

What is most valuable?

The solution makes monitoring faster.

It's fairly easy to set up.

It has been stable.

What needs improvement?

The solution is quite good. For my use case, the information or the page with the info that I need is there. I'm happy with it. Now I'm sure there are other functionalities that I have not actually looked into. Once I fully use the tool 100%, I'm sure I would have something to critique, however, for now, I'm happy with it.

I've been using the solution for six months.

The solution has been stable so far. We find it reliable. There are no bugs or glitches, and it doesn't crash or freeze.

The solution was deployed by a different team. I'm an end user of this tool. In terms of the scalability or how it's done, we have a totally different tooling team who looks after all these tools. I won't be able to offer any insights into scaling.

We have maybe 100 plus users. They're all infrastructure engineers or your level three guys or the help desk, even security guys.

I'm not sure what the extent of the solution's use is throughout the organization.

I haven't been in contact with technical support for this deployment.

We are also using Accedian Skylight. We have both solutions in the organization.

We also have SolarWinds and Splunk.

Although I wasn't a part of the initial process, the initial setup was straightforward. Once we knew all the things that needed to happen, the solution was deployed without much of an issue.

The solution being in a cloud helped with that. We have a hybrid environment, so we have a presence there and on-premise as well. With regards to the cloud, it was easy. Anything that's going cloud, as long as you know what you're doing, is easy.

I'm not sure how long the deployment itself took.

We have a contract and a working relationship with Cisco. They were helping us in deploying the solution.

I have no visibility on the pricing. It's not an aspect of the solution I deal with.

The company might have done evaluations as part of the business case compilations. I don't know on what basis ThousandEyes was selected, however, now that we have ThousandEyes, I don't think we'll be going for something else.

What other advice do I have?

I am a user, not an integrator.

I'm not sure which version of the product we're using.

I'd advise potential new users that, if it solves your use case, then they should go for it. It's really easy to use, there is nothing complicated. We've had no issues whatsoever.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: partners
September 2022
632,779 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Rodney González - PeerSpot reviewer
Systems Integrator/MSP at AMERITECH SYSTEMS CORP.
Reseller
Provides an excellent analysis service; extremely reliable
  • "The company provides excellent service."
  • "It's an expensive solution."

What is our primary use case?

We're in security and video, and Cisco is the main product we use as far as routers and switches. It's all high-end, we do a lot of government work. Right now, we have over 4,500 users, and we've been in business for close to 16 years. 85% of our clients are businesses. At the moment we have 300 users on the cloud, and maybe 30 or 40 cameras. We are resellers and I'm a systems integrator.

What is most valuable?

I think the analysis service that Cisco provides is extremely valuable. Our clients want to be able to grab the video and stream it to their phone, with alarm notifications.

What needs improvement?

Cisco is the standard for anyone wanting something good, the problem with it is the cost and that means that it's not accessible to many smaller companies. It really is a high-end product.

The solution is quite stable, I've never had any problems with it but if there is an issue, then the IT personnel will take care of it. We have a couple of people taking care of maintenance. Usually IT takes care of the hardware and the software, and the administrator is the one that actually deals with the system management and operations.

The solution is quite scalable, we have around 5,000 users in total.

I haven't dealt with technical support but I believe they would provide a good service. With any big company service is probably the most important thing.

The initial setup requires knowledge of the system security.

For now, billing is on an annual basis but it may change to a monthly fee. It's what we would prefer. Whichever way that goes depends on the equipment and service.

What other advice do I have?

There's generally a recommendation to go with Cisco, but most clients don't have the money for that and go for a lower end solution.

I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.

Solution Architect at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Reseller
Comprehensive with good scalability capabilities and helpful technical support
  • "The installation process is not hard at all."
  • "I would like the product to offer more agility."

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution on a daily basis.

What is most valuable?

The support on offer is very good.

It's pretty comprehensive for what I need.

The solution is very scalable.

The installation process is not hard at all.

What needs improvement?

I don't really have any recommendations for improvements at the moment.

I would like the product to offer more agility.

I've likely used the solution for about six months at this point. It's been less than a year. It hasn't been that long yet.

In the time I have used the product, I have noticed that it's quite scalable. If a company needs to expand it, it shouldn't be an issue.

We have eight people in our organization that work directly with the product.

We've only had good experiences with support. They are helpful and responsive. We're quite happy with the level of attention we get when we have issues.

We found the installation process to be very simple and straightforward. It's not complex. It's not difficult. A company shouldn't have any issues deploying the product.

What other advice do I have?

We are a Cisco partner and reseller.

We are using the latest version of the solution, however, I can't speak to the version number we are on.

In general, I would d recommend the solution to other users and organizations. I've had a positive experience so far.

I would rate the solution at an eight out of ten overall.

Reinaldo Romano - PeerSpot reviewer
Commercial Director at 5Wi
Reseller
User friendly, high level support, and reliable

What is our primary use case?

We use ThousandEyes to have visibility of our entire business core with approximately 70 clients.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of ThousandEyes is user-friendliness. It has been essential for us to have a solution that is easy to use.

What needs improvement?

ThousandEyes could improve the dashboards by adding more features.

I have been using ThousandEyes for approximately six months.

ThousandEyes is highly stable.

The scalability of ThousandEyes is very good. When you purchase more units it scales well. If you want more environments, units, or locations, you will only need to purchase them.

We have approximately 11 system engineers using the solution. They are CCAAs, Cisco, and CCMP engineers.

The support from ThousandEyes has been the best I have had. They give good support.

The initial setup of ThousandEyes is straightforward. This was beneficial in a complex environment.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others.

I rate ThousandEyes an eight out of ten.

Download our free Network Monitoring Software Report and find out what your peers are saying about Cisco, SolarWinds, Kentik, and more!
Updated: September 2022