Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

TestRail by Gurock OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

TestRail by Gurock is #6 ranked solution in top Quality Management Tools. PeerSpot users give TestRail by Gurock an average rating of 6.8 out of 10. TestRail by Gurock is most commonly compared to Zephyr Enterprise: TestRail by Gurock vs Zephyr Enterprise. TestRail by Gurock is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 63% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 25% of all views.

Download the Test Management Tools Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is TestRail by Gurock?

TestRail helps you manage and track your software testing efforts and organize your QA department. Its intuitive web-based user interface makes it easy to create test cases, manage test runs and coordinate your entire testing process.

Easily track and follow the status of individual tests, milestones and projects with dashboards and activity reports. Get real-time insights into your testing progress and boost productivity with personalized todo lists, filters and email notifications. Efficient test management, get started today!

TestRail by Gurock Customers

Apple, Microsoft, Boeing, Intel, NASA, Amazon, HP, Samsung

TestRail by Gurock Video

TestRail by Gurock Pricing Advice

What users are saying about TestRail by Gurock pricing:
  • "Its price is definitely not more. If they introduce automation, they can charge more."
  • "The price of the solution is based on how many users you have per year. When you grow, it is segmented, For example, 10 to 25, you have a price, and more than 50, or 100, you need to take the enterprise license. I don't think we will reach this point."
  • TestRail by Gurock Reviews

Lead Engineer - Automation
    Increases overall testing productivity, but not an automation-driven solution
    • "The feature that I have found most valuable is the dashboard."
    • "With TestRail, the APIs are there, but they may not be able to easily integrate with the Jenkins."

What is our primary use case?

We mainly use TestRail for test management activities, like creating a test case, logging a defect, assigning to a user story, exporting the test cases, and generating reports.

How has it helped my organization?

Since we are using Jira, a project management tool, TestRail comes as a plugin for it. So as soon as the user stories are written there, we can integrate TestRail just like a test case and we can link the test cases to the user story easily and make requirement traceability metrics. I have an automation test kit, as well, and I can call it from TestRail. It is a centralized solution for whoever is working in a project. They are able to see which user story is tagged and to which test case and what the result is. Do we have anyone? How many test cases were written for a particular user story? What is the status on that one? This can all be tracked easily.

What is most valuable?

The feature that I have found most valuable is the dashboard.

TestRail clearly provides the team members productivity. For example, if I select a particular team member, I can see how many test cases he developed or executed and at what point of time. Additionally, is the defect aspect. In which area is the defect in? Suppose I come up with a lot of filter attacks on some modules. If I filter by that, I am able to create defects easily in the TestRail, I can export it into reports, and present it to all the stakeholders so that they can easily understand the status of the delivery, exactly where the defects are, and where the progress is. The report process is very nice to go along with the test management.

What needs improvement?

I think it's not directly integrated with automation kit solutions. Maybe manual test cases have APIs, but they may not be with automation specifics. Suppose I have a Selenium automation and I want to run it from a TestRail. Obviously the TestRail should have an agent for it, an automation server should be configured, but I don't think they have this.

September 2022
    Find out what your peers are saying about IDERA, SmartBear, Hiptest and others in Test Management Tools. Updated: September 2022.
    633,952 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I have been working with TestRail for one and a half years.

It is stable. I don't think there are any gaps in there. It is working fine as it is.

Their scalability is okay. We have a small QA group and we started with 50 users and scaled its use to 150.

I think maybe two people would be enough for maintenance.

I don't think the initial setup is complex. It is just a Cloud-based system. We need to access the URL and we need to do a single sign-up for it. Since it's an organizational level, we want to maintain security and we need to test identification through a browser and enable the employee profile in the Cloud. That's it.

When we did the initial level POC, we did it on Cloud for the pre-trial version. But since our organization is a healthcare level, we took TestRail and configured it for our own use On-Premise.

There are a lot of Okta authentication there. It is a two-factor authentication. So, the moment when we are associated with that kind of app, it connects to the TestRail wherever they're hosting a server. It is kind of an exchange of data through the Okta app for security authentication.

It depends on the number of users. I think our price is something like $300 to $400 a year.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale of one to ten, I would give TestRail by Gurock a Six.

Based on my own experience, TestRail could have more capabilities. It is good to use this tool for a medium scale automation. Additionally, if you need a more automation-driven solution, I recommend going with other tools. If you just want to record, play and store the test results, if you are more in a manual testing layer, TestRail is good to use.

Quality Assurance Manager at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
    Good management from the testing perspective, but needs a lot of improvements from the quality assurance perspective
    • "From a testing perspective, the management is awesome. I am able to do testing and then add the reporting and the evidence. It is fair in terms of the price that you're paying. You get what you're paying for."
    • "I do see room for lots of improvement in it. In terms of usability, duplication with test cases and constant creation of projects isn't easy. There is also too much API integration into automation tools, which is not there in ALM with UFT. Instead of setting it up as a project and using it, we set it up as a system for usability. It also lacks in the traceability aspect. For traceability, you need to use the JIRA plugin and drag traceability on JIRA, but the functionality is still quite limited. The biggest gap is mainframe testing. It would be good if I could start with mainframe testing. Manual granting of access is another issue. There is no API that I could use with another system where it is automated. There is an API for loading somebody to a project but not for adding to the application."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for test case repository and test management. My primary role is quality assurance. I've got one developer who looks at the SQL, upgrades, and a few other things. I do the customization, integration, and normal administration for granting access. I also provide user support and help users with training, guidance, demos, etc. I handle 80% work, and the developer handles the remaining 20% of work on this solution.

What is most valuable?

From a testing perspective, the management is awesome. I am able to do testing and then add the reporting and the evidence.

What needs improvement?

I have been using TestRail for two years.

I have not contacted technical support.

I learned to work with this solution, but if I had to choose a solution, it wouldn't be TestRail.
    I also use ALM, and it is my preferred tool. Tosca also has the same quality level as ALM.

Its price is definitely not more. If they introduce automation, they can charge more.

What other advice do I have?

I would not recommend this solution. My primary role is quality assurance. From a quality assurance perspective, there are too many limitations. There is too much integration or too many APIs that need to be written constantly. It doesn't actually give you traceability from the requirements or systems perspective. If I wanted to run automation for coverage of a system, TestRail doesn't give me that.

I would rate TestRail a five out of ten.

September 2022
    633,952 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    HeshamFouad - PeerSpot reviewer
    Quality and Technical Support Department Manager at dsquares
    Integrates well, simple to learn, and straightforward exporting
    • "The most valuable features of TestRail by Gurock are the user experience, it's very easy to learn. There is no learning curve needed to work on projects and manage the test cases, it is easy. Exporting and importing are simple."
    • "TestRail by Gurock could improve by adding a defect management module tool. It would add a lot of value if I want to install it and I don't have Jira or an isolating team. For example, if I am providing a service it's separated from the development team, it then would be better to have defect management included with the test management. However, as it is now I need to be integrated with Jira or another defect management tool to complete the testing process."

What is our primary use case?

We use TestRail by Gurock as a task management tool. It is integrated with Jira for task tracking.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of TestRail by Gurock are the user experience, it's very easy to learn. There is no learning curve needed to work on projects and manage the test cases, it is easy. Exporting and importing are simple.

The integration with Jira is very quick and powerful. If you deploy a new testing team with a full test management tool, TestRail by Gurock on the cloud will be on my top list.

What needs improvement?

In an upcoming release, they could improve the reporting module.

I have been using TestRail by Gurock for approximately three years.

The stability of TestRail by Gurock has been good.

The solution is scalable. You only need to add new licenses. I didn't face any issues. Since it is in the Cloud you add a new user to your license and it will work perfectly.

We have approximately 10 people using the solution and the number is growing.

The initial implementation took us approximately one week. We built the workflow, integration, and everything else. We optimize the process as we go.

I have a team that does the implementation of the solution.

The price of the solution is based on how many users you have per year. When you grow, it is segmented, For example, 10 to 25, you have a price, and more than 50, or 100, you need to take the enterprise license. I don't think we will reach this point.

What other advice do I have?

I rate TestRail by Gurock an eight out of ten.

Hema Patil - PeerSpot reviewer
    Software Quality Engineering Manager at Cytel
    Various test case templates and test artifact maintenance make for a highly recommended solution
    • "The features that I have found most valuable are that there are various test case templates and test artifact maintenance."
    • "Their customer support could be improved. Sometimes we struggle with that. It could be faster. Whenever we raise any query, they get back to you but the turnaround time is very slow."

What is our primary use case?

TestRail is basically a central repository for us since our team is geographically distributed. It is really convenient to use this on cloud. This is one use case. The other is the two-way integration with Jira. That is also one of the important factors.

How has it helped my organization?

We are an end user as well as a distributor.

What is most valuable?

The features that I have found most valuable are that there are various test case templates and test artifact maintenance.

What needs improvement?

Their customer support could be improved. Sometimes we struggle with that. It could be faster. Whenever we raise any query, they get back to you but the turnaround time is very slow.

Additionally, whenever there is a new version update to the cloud version, we sometimes face issues. We try to reach out to the technical team, and it requires quite a few times of trying.

In the next release, I would like to see improved technical support included. Additionally, improved backup and restore facilities would be good. At the moment, Gurock owns that regardless of whatever licenses we have purchased. That should be given to the customer.

We are using TestRail in this organization for the last two years, but I had been using it for six years previous, so it is eight plus years I have been using TestRail.

It is quite stable.

TestRail is scalable. We have scaled it from five users in the beginning to near 64 users now.

We are distributing these reports to about 100 plus people.

The initial setup is quite straightforward.

It takes hardly 10 to 15 minutes to do the initial setup.

We have only one team which maintains many tools across the organization and they take care of this solution.

We set up it by ourselves.

We are at this moment paying for a monthly payment plan.

What other advice do I have?

I would surely recommend TestRail.

On a scale of one to ten, I would give TestRail an eight.

Download our free Test Management Tools Report and find out what your peers are saying about IDERA, SmartBear, Hiptest, and more!
    Updated: September 2022