IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Tenable SC OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Tenable SC is #2 ranked solution in top Vulnerability Management tools. PeerSpot users give Tenable SC an average rating of 8 out of 10. Tenable SC is most commonly compared to Tenable.io Vulnerability Management: Tenable SC vs Tenable.io Vulnerability Management. Tenable SC is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 66% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 23% of all views.
Tenable SC Buyer's Guide

Download the Tenable SC Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2022

What is Tenable SC?

Tenable SC is an on-premises vulnerability management solution that offers complete visibility into the security measures of your complex IT infrastructure. Tenable SC also works by assessing risks and clearing vulnerability trends. By implementing Tenable SC, you can see all your vulnerabilities and continuously assess all assets the moment they join the network, including transient devices that aren’t regularly connected. In addition, Tenable SC can predict what matters by understanding vulnerabilities in the context of business risk, as well as the criticality of affected assets.

Tenable SC Features

Tenable SC has several features that sets it apart from its competitors' vulnerability management tools including:

• Continuous and consistent monitoring of applications, cloud infrastructure, and users
  • Compliance with industry standard
  • Full visibility of IT environments (all networks, systems, and applications)
  • Pre-built dashboards and reports that are customizable
  • VPR (Vulnerability Priority Rating) to help identify and prioritize vulnerabilities
  • ARC (Assurance Report Cards) that are used to measure, visualize, and analyze your security programs’ effectiveness
  • Alerts and notifications provided in real time that detect network irregularities
  • Automated scans, perimeter scanning, and vulnerability scanning
  • Risk prioritization, risk scoring, and risk reporting

Tenable SC Benefits

Some of the benefits of using Tenable SC include:

Full vulnerability assessment coverage: Tenable SC helps eliminate blind spots in your IT infrastructure by providing complete visibility of network-connected assets, activity, and events.

• Immediate insights: Because Tenable SC provides clear, actionable dashboards and reports, it enables you to quickly measure and analyze safety effectiveness and risks.

• Boosts productivity: By allowing you to adjust reports and spreadsheets, Tenable SC increases productivity and improves efficiency as well.

• Identify threats and unexpected changes in the network: With Tenable SC, you can easily address identified threats and can also obtain specific alerts to quickly begin remediation efforts.

• Prioritize Tasks: Tenable SC enables security teams to focus on the vulnerabilities and assets that matter most, so they can address a company’s true business risk instead of spending valuable time on vulnerabilities that have a low likelihood of being exploited.

Reviews from Real Users

Below are some reviews and helpful feedback written by Tenable SC users who are currently using the solution.

PeerSpot user Joao M., who is a CIO / IT Consultant at RedShift, reports that the solution has good dashboards, reporting, and technical support, with a low rate of errors. He specifically points out that "This product has the best results in terms of the lowest number of false positives and false negatives."

Another PeerSpot user who is a program manager at a tech services company comments on how the solution successfully monitors their whole environment in real time and makes everything more secure. He mentions "The feature we've liked most recently was being able to take the YARA rules from FireEye and put them into Tenable’s scan for the most recent SolarWinds exploit. That was really useful."

An information security analyst at a retailer says that besides the fact that the overall price for the product is pretty good, the solution is “intuitive with excellent technical support and good stability.

Tenable SC was previously known as Tenable Unified Security, Tenable SecurityCenter.

Tenable SC Customers

IBM, Sempra Energy, Microsoft, Apple, Adidas, Union Pacific

Tenable SC Video

Tenable SC Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Tenable SC pricing:
  • "I use a local license to perform penetration testing and I'm pretty happy with everything when it comes to pricing and licensing."
  • "Though reasonable, the main competitor of Tenable SC, Rapid7, offers a more aggressive and better priced product."
  • "It is a bit expensive. Everything is included in the license."
  • "Compared to other companies or other products it could maybe be a little bit less, but the price is okay. I would say it's not very expensive."
  • Tenable SC Reviews

Program Manager at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
    Monitors our whole environment in real time and makes everything more secure
    • "The feature we've liked most recently was being able to take the YARA rules from FireEye and put them into Tenable's scan for the most recent SolarWinds exploit. That was really useful."
    • "I will say it's a lot slower compared to an MS scan. It takes so much longer, so the performance could definitely be worked on."

What is our primary use case?

At work we use the enterprise version of Tenable, Tenable.io, and I also use Tenable.sc — which I refer to as SecurityCenter — for local scanning. I use Tenable SecurityCenter every day to scan our entire environment for vulnerabilities. I use a local license during the discovery process for penetration testing. So I'll do an en masse scan, and then also do a scan with Tenable to scan for IPs and vulnerabilities. User-wise, with Tenable SecurityCenter, there's different roles. We have security analysts, admin, etc. I'd say there's probably four or five different roles from people that can just go in and view. Security analysts can upload manual scans and create dashboards and download reports. Then administrators can create accounts, assign roles and responsibilities, and things like that.

How has it helped my organization?

Tenable SecurityCenter has absolutely improved our organization, by making everything more secure and helping ensure solid vulnerability management.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

I'm pretty happy with it, but I do see a lot of stuff coming out about risk-based vulnerability management. And so I've been looking at that. I don't think we're using that as of yet and it seems like a newer feature they're talking about a lot that I'm interested in. I will say it's a lot slower compared to an MS scan. It takes so much longer, so the performance could definitely be worked on. There was also an issue with SecurityCenter once where we had agents deployed on each device, and while it was scanning we were collecting the data real time. During this process, we had an enclave that was not submitting. It didn't have the agent installed because it wasn't connected to the enterprise network. They were scanning locally and submitting the scans and we would then upload them into SecurityCenter manually. Each time that there were any duplicates with host names or IPs, or that there were issues with the scanner device with authentication, it failed. But then you scanned it again and it was successful. When you uploaded that, SecurityCenter was counting it as two devices. And when you ran your report for unauthorized devices, even though it was scanned a second time successfully, the first time would show as a failure. So it was throwing off reporting. So we would run a report and say, "Okay, which device has failed scanning with authentication?" And it would give a device and we'd be like, "Well, here's the secondary scan showing that it was successful." And so we were having to manually go in there and delete the failed ones. And that was a pain in the butt. We eventually got that enclave online so we fixed the problem, but I felt that was a limitation of Tenable SecurityCenter that it couldn't see that.
    Tenable SC
    June 2022
    Learn what your peers think about Tenable SC. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2022.
    608,713 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I have been using Tenable SecurityCenter for the past few years now.

We have only run into one troublesome issue that I can remember. It had to do with the way SecurityCenter inaccurately reported real-time scan results whenever there was a transient problem such as with a duplicate host name or IP, or with authentication. It was a pain to deal with, because we kept having to go in and manually delete all the failed (but actually successful) scan results.

When it comes to scalability, so far so good, and no issues. We've got the whole environment monitored right now and I don't see any significant increases in use anytime soon.

Their technical support is good. Because I don't give out tens much for anything, I would say in the eight to nine range, out of ten.

For vulnerability management, Tenable SecurityCenter is the only one I've used in the past six years. Though we do use other tools in conjunction with it. We've pretty much used Nessus for scanning, vulnerability management, and reporting, and that's it. And it does it very well. And then I use different tools for other things. I'm sure Tenable had that on the plugins for other things, but we don't use those.

The setup is straightforward.

I personally implement SecurityCenter with a local license. And then we also have different roles like security analysts and administrators who can just go in and perform various functions such as uploading manual scans, creating dashboards, downloading reports, assigning accounts, and so on.

What other advice do I have?

I can easily recommend Tenable SecurityCenter, and I have nothing really bad to say about it. I think it's a great tool for what it does. I enjoy the webinars, and the people that run the company seem very engaged with what's going on when you're into current events and the overall security climate, and they're continuously looking to improve. I can't speak to every option that they have, but I have no reservations recommending them. I would rate Tenable SecurityCenter an eight out of ten.

Information Security Analyst at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Intuitive with excellent technical support and good stability
    • "Their overall cost of service is pretty good."
    • "The biggest issue I have with the solution is when I'm using the scanning it picks up the original DNS of that device. That means, before we image it and actually change the DNS to something within our company structure, it'll just be random numbers and letters and Tenable will stick to that DNS for a long time."

What is our primary use case?

Essentially we use the solution to monitor hard devices on a network with it. That includes laptops, desktops, tablets, et cetera. I'm just using that to make sure that all of our patching is up to date.

What is most valuable?

The UI, the user interface, is really, really good. It's really simple. I started with no prior experience in vulnerability management and picked it up in less than a day, pretty quickly. It's very intuitive.

Their overall cost of service is pretty good.

I've worked with my CS manager and with them a lot, and I'd say every case I've opened, they've reached out to me within two hours. They're pretty prompt in their responses and overall the company is really easy to get ahold of.

Scaling the solution is very easy.

The stability of the product is pretty good.

What needs improvement?

The biggest issue I have with the solution is when I'm using the scanning it picks up the original DNS of that device. That means, before we image it and actually change the DNS to something within our company structure, it'll just be random numbers and letters and Tenable will stick to that DNS for a long time. I'll be searching for a gallery or a laptop and I can't find it due to the fact that the DNS when it was scanned went in as something non-sensical, like M P X 23 Z. That's the biggest issue I have with it. it's some sort of strange glitch.

While I started using the solution in January of last year, the company itself has been on the solution for about three years or so.

The stability of the solution has been quite good. I haven't experienced any real problems so far. It's been a rather smooth proess.

Scaling the solution would be pretty simple. The process would require us to reach out to Tenable to get more licenses, however, that's a pretty simple process. Overall, it's pretty easy. Essentially it'd just be adding a list of all the new IPs into any asset groups that they would be involved in. I don't think it would take much longer than a week.

Technical support is excellent. They are extremely responsive and very helpful. We are quite satisfied with the level of support we've received from them.

I would give them a ten out of ten. They are very prompt and very knowledgeable. They are great at answering questions and walking you through anything step-by-step.

When I started, the company was actually in the process of revamping the solution.

It was a two-day process and the company walked us through the entire thing. I had a Tenable engineer on-call with me for eight hours. It was a long process, however, it was easy as they were walking me through it, step-by-step.

When we did a recent re-vamp, Tenable was on hand to walk us through the entire process. We had a very positive experience with them.

I don't handle the billing and therefore don't have an exact idea of how much the solution costs.

We just renewed the solution and didn't look into any other product on the market before we did.

What other advice do I have?

We are just customers and end-users of the product.

If a company does decide to implement the solution, I'd advise working with Tenable engineers during the process, and even afterward, in order to ensure everything is set up appropriately.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten We've had a largely very positive experience with the solution so far.

Tenable SC
    June 2022
    608,713 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Presales Engineer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
    Reseller
    Easy to install, very customizable with a lot of templates available; great technical support
    • "Very customizable with a lot of templates."
    • "Current web page needs improvement, slows down processes."

What is our primary use case?

I'm a pre-sales engineer and we are resellers of Tenable.

What is most valuable?

This solution is very customizable compared to everything else I've seen on the market, so you can easily customize it to suit your needs. There are a lot of templates you can use and you can install it pretty quickly so in one hour you can have your scanner up and running.

What needs improvement?

I think the company should redo their web page because the way things are now there are a lot of things you can't do. For example, if you want to filter something on the solution and have it filter down to all of your widgets, you can't do it, you have to go from one widget to the other. It takes some time if you have a big customer dashboard that's using some data. I think that the integration with a solution like Jira could be a little bit better for when you create tickets based on your vulnerability.

I know they are working on additional features related to the integration with the patch management like Qualys has, which is really amazing. This is the future and I know they're working on it.

I've been using this solution for the past six or seven years.

Usually the solution is stable but it can be a little bit tricky which I think depends on the kind of BME and the sizing used. I'd say it was 80%, 85% stable.

The solution is very scalable, it's one of the most scalable solutions that I've used so far, compared to Rapid7 and Qualys, it's very scalable. You can use it pretty much with anything, even if you start with 1000 IPs and scale up from 1000 to 10,000.

Technical support is very efficient and they escalate the tickets when you have a big issue. When you open a ticket, they respond within the hour and they're pretty quick to find the issue. If you have a bigger issue, you can set up a Zoom call with them and that's very helpful.

I've used Rapid7 in the past and I've also used Qualys a little as well. I work with customers, so I go with whatever they want to use.

The initial setup is very straightforward and quick.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend the solution but I would tell people that it requires dedicated staff. You need to have someone looking at what's going on when you scan and you need somebody to go through all the results, otherwise it just sits there.

I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.

Information Security Analyst at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    Good reporting, alerting, and filtering capabilities and good integration with multiple vendors
    • "Tenable SC is good for reporting and alerting. The filtering feature is also very valuable. Its integration with multiple vendors is quite good. It can be integrated with SIEM solutions and PAM solutions such as Thycotic, which is very helpful."
    • "There is not much room for improvement. However, there should be a guide that describes the step-by-step procedures for doing tasks. Otherwise, training is required from a senior guy to a junior guy."

What is our primary use case?

We had a requirement to connect multiple branches into one console. We installed Nessus at multiple locations and then connected Nessus. We did the service scan and got the report on the central site with Tenable SC.

How has it helped my organization?

Previously, we were using Nessus, which required a lot of manual work in terms of reporting. We do a lot of customization, and Tenable SC has been very helpful. Reporting is just a click away in Tenable SC, whereas it used to take a long time to create a similar report and customize it in Nessus.

What is most valuable?

Its integration with multiple vendors is quite good. It can be integrated with SIEM solutions and PAM solutions such as Thycotic, which is very helpful.

What needs improvement?

There is not much room for improvement. However, there should be a guide that describes the step-by-step procedures for doing tasks. Otherwise, training is required from a senior guy to a junior guy.

Our usage is the same. Currently, no increment is required in terms of the license.

They are good.

We used to use Rapid7, but there were too many false positives. So, we switched to Nessus, but in Nessus, we faced the challenge of reporting. Nessus required a lot of manual work in terms of reporting. Tenable SC has been quite helpful for reporting.

It is not straightforward. When you do integrations, it turns into a complex solution, but this complexity is required. If security is a priority, then complexity will be there for enterprise security.

It didn't take a long time. In one month, we were able to configure and run the reports. Everything was done within a month. We were in desperate need of such a solution, and this solution came. We already knew about integrations from the white papers and documents available on the Tenable website. They were very helpful. So, doing integration was not an issue. We did it without much effort.

I was heading this project as a project manager.

What other advice do I have?

It is a much better solution than other competitors. It provides almost everything that is required in terms of vulnerability management. If you are looking for overall enterprise security in terms of integrations and vulnerability management, you should go for Tenable SC or Tenable SCCV.

I would rate Tenable SC a nine out of ten.

Senior Cyber Security Specialist at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Excellent, responsive support; it is dependable, scales well, and is simple to install
    • "It's a very useful tool."
    • "The GUI could be improved to have all concerns and priorities use the same GUI, allowing them to see all tickets, assign vulnerabilities, and assign variation failures to each member of their team."

What is our primary use case?

Tenable SC can be used in any company for vulnerability management life cycle.

What is most valuable?

It's a very useful tool.

What needs improvement?

Internal ticketing systems require improvement.

The GUI could be improved to have all concerns and priorities use the same GUI, allowing them to see all tickets, assign vulnerabilities, and assign variation failures to each member of their team.

I have been working with Tenable SC for more than five years.

Tenable SC is very stable.

According to the sizing that we are dealing with in this first stage, it is very scalable.

We have not experienced any issues with the scalability of Tenable SC.

The information security team has access to the solution. The number of users varies from one environment to another. It ranges, from five users to ten users maximum.

The same number of users can easily deploy and maintain this solution, included the access manager, administrator, and anyone who can configure the policies they test.

Tenable technical support is very good. They are very helpful, and responsive.

We had experienced some delays in two or three tickets we started, but that may have been because of the client, they were very unresponsive.

Overall, the technical support is very good.

I have worked with Rapid 7 and Qualys.

The installation is very straightforward. It's the easiest solution that I have ever implemented.

The installation was quick, taking no more than one or two minutes.

I completed the installation myself. It can easily be installed by anyone.

The license is perpetual and is based on the number of IP addresses you want to scan in your organization.

The support comes with a different license.

What other advice do I have?

Tenable SC is without a doubt a good choice.

I would rate Tenable SC a nine out of ten.

Amine BEYAOUI - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior Partner / Co-Founder at SKYTEK
    Reseller
    Review about Tenable SC
    • "The solution is one of the most, if not the most, stable product available."
    • "The pricing is reasonable, but this could be brought down more aggressively, such as we see with Rapid7, Tenable SC's main competitor."

What is most valuable?

The dashboard is a valuable feature. So is the scanning, which is based on the nexus, and the scripts. The solution offers an extremely limited margin of error, of obtaining false positives within it. These are its strengths.

What needs improvement?

Everything in life has room for improvement. While I consider the solution to perform as it should, most customers, for the wrong reasons, wish for it to have the penetration testing capabilities. This is not a problem with the product, but with the demands of the customer and I remain uncertain if I can meet these.

An easily installable and very scalable and stable solution which boasts great dashboard and scanning features

The solution is one of the most, if not the most, stable product available.

The solution is scalable. It can go up many thousands of endpoints for scanning purposes.

Technical support does what it should. The solution is pretty straightforward and simple. As such, as with all vulnerability management solutions, it will not need much technical support and this is rarely required. I am referring to the need to address bugs. Mainly, the support will focus on the search for new features or reports.

The initial setup is straightforward and very easy.

What other advice do I have?

The size of our customers run the gamut, from small medium to large, in certain cases exceeding 5,000 IPs.

I would definitely recommend the solution.

I rate Tenable SC as an eight-plus out of ten.

Assistant manager IT security at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Accurate vulnerability detection, helpful for compliance, and easy to scale
    • "Compliance and vulnerability scans are most valuable. Compliance scan helps in validating how our teams are complying, and vulnerability scan helps in future-proofing. Its vulnerability detection is accurate."
    • "Its reporting can be improved. It is not easy to generate a scan report the way we want. The data is okay, but we can't easily change the template to make it look the way we want."

What is our primary use case?

We use Tenable SC for compliance and vulnerability scans.

We are fully updated in terms of the version, and we have its latest version.

What is most valuable?

Compliance and vulnerability scans are most valuable. Compliance scan helps in validating how our teams are complying, and vulnerability scan helps in future-proofing. Its vulnerability detection is accurate.

What needs improvement?

Its reporting can be improved. It is not easy to generate a scan report the way we want. The data is okay, but we can't easily change the template to make it look the way we want.

I have been using this solution for about two years.

It is stable and reliable, but it also depends on the on-premise resources.

It is easy to scale. It is currently being used by a few people in our company.

We sometimes took support from Tenable when we had issues with the scans and we couldn't get the results. They were helpful. It is easy to get support.

It is easy to set up. We need to set it up from the appliance.

We can do it on our own, but we sometimes need help from the vendor.

Its maintenance is done from our side.

It is a bit expensive. Everything is included in the license.

What other advice do I have?

It has been good so far. I would rate it an eight out of 10.

Assistant Manager at Bank of Baroda
    It's very intuitive and any person can use it
    • "The usability is really good. It's very easy to use and a good platform. It is scalable and very stable. The technical support is fine and the setup is super easy."
    • "For downloading reports, we have to go to the scan and then we have to go to the reports and download the Excel or CSV or PDF. I think these menus and clicks can be minimized."

What is most valuable?

The usability is really good. It's very intuitive and any person can use it, you do not have to be an expert in vulnerability analysis. It's very easy to use and a good platform.

What needs improvement?

In regards to additional features, I would say make it a little bit simpler. There are different menus for downloading reports that could just be a click and download. Right now, we have to go to the scan and then we have to go to the reports and download the Excel or CSV or PDF. I think these menus and clicks can be minimized.

We have had Tenable SC for the past year.

It is very stable. We have not had any issues.

It is scalable. You can add the scanner in. At present, we have five people working with it at our organization.

The technical support is fine. They're prompt and we've had no issues with them.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Neutral

It was super easy, not complex.

We set up a consultant to help with deployment and the full process took around a month.

Compared to other companies or other products it could maybe be a little bit less, but the price is okay. I would say it's not very expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate the solution as a nine out of ten.

Download our free Tenable SC Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: June 2022