IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Splunk Phantom OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Splunk Phantom is #3 ranked solution in SOAR tools. PeerSpot users give Splunk Phantom an average rating of 8.4 out of 10. Splunk Phantom is most commonly compared to Palo Alto Networks Cortex XSOAR: Splunk Phantom vs Palo Alto Networks Cortex XSOAR. Splunk Phantom is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 72% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 25% of all views.
Splunk Phantom Buyer's Guide

Download the Splunk Phantom Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2022

What is Splunk Phantom?

Phantom enables teams to work smarter by executing automated actions across their security infrastructure in seconds, versus hours or more if performed manually. Teams can codify workflows into Phantom’s automated playbooks using the visual editor (no coding required) or the integrated Python development environment. By offloading these repetitive tasks, teams can focus their attention on making the most mission-critical decisions.
Orchestration
Phantom is the connective tissue that lets existing security tools work better together. By connecting and coordinating complex workflows across the SOC’s team and tools, Phantom ensures that each part of the SOC’s layered defense is actively participating in a unified defense strategy. Powerful abstraction allows teams to focus on what they need to accomplish, while the platform translates that into tool-specific actions.
Incident Response
Phantom helps security teams investigate and respond to threats faster. Using Phantom’s automated detection, investigation, and response capabilities, teams can execute response actions at machine speed, reduce malware dwell time and lower their overall mean time to resolve (MTTR). And now with Phantom on Splunk Mobile, analysts can use their mobile device to respond to security incidents while on-the-go. Phantom’s event and case management functionality can further streamline security operations. Case-related data and activity are easily accessible from one central repository. It’s easy to chat with other team members about an event or case, and assign events and tasks to the appropriate team member.

Splunk Phantom was previously known as Phantom.

Splunk Phantom Customers

Recorded Future, Blackstone

Splunk Phantom Video

Splunk Phantom Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Splunk Phantom pricing:
  • "Splunk Phantom follows very flat pricing and most of the time it's very high when compared to the other competitors. They can improve their pricing. The licensing model is a subscription and is consumption-based."
  • "The price of Splunk Phantom is based on the number of people using it. Once you increase the users, the prices go goes up. The customer receives a license for the user that is going to operate it in their environment."
  • "I don't know the exact price, but for my region, it is very expensive."
  • "The price of Splunk Phantom is reasonable."
  • Splunk Phantom Reviews

HariHaran - PeerSpot reviewer
    Technical Analyst at a tech vendor with 11-50 employees
    Very stable with a straightforward setup and good performance
    • "The customization continues to be excellent."
    • "In the beginning, we couldn't find any specific documents for every function. It wasn't easy to navigate to what we needed."

What is our primary use case?

We are doing some automation on the SIM and we are getting some SIMS and we are looking for some automation to improve the security environment. That's how we are currently using Splunk.

What is most valuable?

Comparing this product to other SOAR tools, most of the items are the same, however, the UI of Phantom is pretty good if you compare it against other SOAR tools.

The work formation and the templates based on some use cases all look good.

The product is very easy to use and has a very good user experience.

The solution is very stable.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward.

We've found the written documentation to be excellent.

The performance is very good.

We've found the solution has recently improved its UI.

The customization continues to be excellent.

What needs improvement?

In the beginning, we couldn't find any specific documents for every function. It wasn't easy to navigate to what we needed. However, lately, it has improved and we are able to find Splunk documents for all the functionalities of Phantom.

It would be helpful, on the other hand, if there were videos regarding each functionality. That would make it even easier to work with Phantom. We are able to find some documentation in written form, and that's fine. If it is in a video format, then it would be better due to the fact that, in some environments, we find some other issues or something and it would be nice to have a visualization of the process.

The solution is a bit more expensive than other offerings.

I'd recommend that the solution add some new apps, or some average services, like bots or G-Suite. We may already have G Suite in Phantom. Bots, like any common VPN service, would be great, however.

I've used the solution for about one year or so. It hasn't been an extremely long amount of time just yet.

Splunk Phantom
    July 2022
    Learn what your peers think about Splunk Phantom. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2022.
    622,358 professionals have used our research since 2012.

We haven't had any stability issues at all. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's not buggy. There aren't glitches that I've seen. It seems very stable and very reliable.

We have had an issue related to the firewall. However, that had nothing to do with Splunk directly.

We have five or six individuals that handle Phantom at any given time, as needed.

We didn't try to scale Splunk due to the fact that we already have a VM and we are working on that. We don't use Phantom too much as we have some community license. Based on the license, we are running simple actions only, and therefore we are not giving that much of a workload to Phantom.

I haven't been in contact with technical support at all. I can't speak to their responsiveness or how helpful they would be.

That said, some of my colleagues have done a boot camp with technical support, and they likely have had contact. I haven't heard of anything negative.

I didn't previously use a different tool. This is my first SOAR tool. I've also used Demisto. These are the two tools that I have and that I currently work with.

It's my understanding, from a customer's perspective, that the better solution is Demisto based on licensing costs, however, in terms of the performance and efficiency involved, it's Phantom. Phantom is a bit more expensive in general.

The initial set up seems pretty easy. While I didn't personally handle any part of it, it's my understanding that it's not a big issue to implement everything. We were able to install the file easily. It was straight forward. When we were handling the clustering part, it was a little difficult as we had some license issues. We need a license to get that clustering part set up. It would be ideal if they offered at least a trial license so that we could see how it works and the formation, etc. Right now, without any license, we aren't able to do this clustering part.

I'm unsure as to how maintenance is handled on the solution. I believe we need to handle it manually as we did not install any bot that would handle anything. There may be alternative workarounds in newer versions.

I'm not working deeply on Phantom. In fact, I'm concentrating more on SIM. My colleagues are the ones working on Phantom. Therefore, I'm not sure if we actually had outside assistance or handled everything internally.

We use a community license. We don't have to pay for any actual licensing. However, the solution, when you have a paid version, is quite costly. That said, in terms of performance, it's worth the extra cost. Also, it's my understanding that everything is included in the licensing cost, once you pay for the product. There aren't any added fees.

What other advice do I have?

We have a business relationship with Splunk. We're partners.

We're using the solution on our VM and also on our database cloud.

I'd recommend the solution to other organizations. Compared to other products, Phantom seems to be easy to use and the ability to customize is high. Compared to the older version, the newer version is very customizable. We can very easily create custom functions. The UI looks good and is also improved.

I would rate the solution eight out of ten.

Private Cloud
    Tarun Singh - PeerSpot reviewer
    Manager Project Management at HCL Technologies
    Multiple deployment options, simple customization, and highly mature functionality
    • "The most valuable feature of Splunk Phantom that stands out is it has a great SOAR. The automation and orchestration module is highly mature. A lot of use cases are on user entity and behavioral analytics (UEBA), which is artificial intelligence and machine learning-based (AIML)."
    • "Splunk Phantom can improve IoT/OT security-related case studies or your use cases. Their integration with identity and access management (IAM) solutions is a bit shaky. They don't have good integration with a lot of IAM solutions. They do have good capability in terms of user access management internally, but even with privileged user access, they have a good module. However, if they have to integrate with solutions, such as CyberArk or IBM IAM solutions they are lacking, the visibility of user access is not that much."

What is our primary use case?

Splunk Phantom can be deployed on the cloud, on-premise, and hybrid. If you want to put it to your cellphone or public cloud to use cloud services, such as Amazon AWS or Google Cloud Platform it is possible.

The main usage of Splunk Phantom is for security monitoring, insider threat protection, user and entity behavioral analytics (UEBA), Security orchestration, automation, privileged user and account protection, and security against attacks, such as phishing and advanced malware attacks.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of Splunk Phantom that stands out is it has a great SOAR. The automation and orchestration module is highly mature. A lot of use cases are on user entity and behavioral analytics (UEBA), which is artificial intelligence and machine learning-based (AIML).

What needs improvement?

Splunk Phantom can improve IoT/OT security-related case studies or your use cases. Their integration with identity and access management (IAM) solutions is a bit shaky. They don't have good integration with a lot of IAM solutions. They do have good capability in terms of user access management internally, but even with privileged user access, they have a good module. However, if they have to integrate with solutions, such as CyberArk or IBM IAM solutions they are lacking, the visibility of user access is not that much.

I have been using Splunk Phantom for approximately 10 years.

The stability of Splunk Phantom is good.

Splunk Phantom is highly scalable.

I rate the support from Splunk Phantom a three out of five.

The support knowledge of use cases from the telecom industry, and IoT industry are good. They're good at accommodating normal IT use cases, but when it comes to operating our OT devices, or telecom-related use cases, they're not really flexible or good at it. In terms of developing use cases for them, they are not that good. For example, if they are approached by some vendor and they say, "Devise up some use cases for Nokia and Huawei", these are our basic telecom providers, it's really difficult for Splunk Phantom to make use cases for them. They're good at IT, but they're not good at OT and IoT.

Splunk Phantom is easy to deploy. It has a lot of already built-in use cases, and it is very easy to customize. For the deployment of Splunk Phantom, it takes approximately two engineers. For a medium complexity, 3000 DPS-sized deployments, it will take a half month. If there are a lot of custom use cases, you can add another month for those customizations to be completed.

We need approximately four to five engineers for maintenance for a dedicated sizing. If you are going for a shared model, then two to three engineers would be sufficient. Both have 24 hours a day seven days a week operating windows.

I won't say ROI's not there for Splunk Phantom. It's a value-for-money solution, but if they charge less, then it will bring more value. Currently, the ROI is flat, you will hardly have an ROI.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Splunk Phantom an eight out of ten.

Splunk Phantom
    July 2022
    622,358 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Abhinav Roy - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior Data Analyst at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
    Great automation capabilities, easy to use, and offers good GUI
    • "So far, the interface is very easy to use."
    • "It would be ideal if we could automate processes even more."

What is our primary use case?

We're not really creating the use cases. Our internal team is developing the use cases. Right now, we have automated the whole phishing process. After that we are still planning to automate a few more things like malware investigation and then from there other processes.

What is most valuable?

We're in the POC phase. We need more time to get used to the solution and to understand it better to discover the most useful features.

So far, the interface is very easy to use.

The GUI is great.

The features in the Phantom playbook are all very good.

You can build different playbook and you can play with the playbook. One playbook can give you insights into URL applications, one playbook you can give the reputation about the file access. You can build different playbooks and after integrating all the playbooks you can come up with some organizational directions and decisions. It will give you very good insights into various incidents.

The solution is great for automating redundant work.

It's difficult sometime to manage the amount of reported suspicious emails. Using an intervention like this solution helps make that task easier.

What needs improvement?

We haven't had too much experience on the solution.

The solution is relatively new in the market.

It would be ideal if we could automate processes even more.

The interface is great, however, they could still keep refining it to make it even more user friendly.

We have used the solution over the past year.

At a previous organization, I did work with another tool in Beta. It was able to provide UVA capacity. I'm not sure if they used a different tool at this current organization.

The Phantom has better GUI, however, I'm not able to clearly see the risk fabric.

I wasn't part of the deployment team. I have no idea if the initial implementation is straightforward or complex.

Technically, we are still in the deployment phase. We haven't finished yet. We are yet to go live. IN the next few weeks we'll go live, however, only on the phishing features.

I'm not aware of the company looking into other options before choosing this solution. All of this was handled by the procurement team, and I am not a party to their decision-making process.

What other advice do I have?

I'm not sure which version of the solution we're currently using.

If a company wants to automate redundant work, this solution is perfect for that. Very specific processes can be easily automated to save time. That way, analysts can invest their time elsewhere. Phantom is one of the great tools for reducing redundancies.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
    MarcosPereira - PeerSpot reviewer
    Splunk Consultant at Yssy
    Useful playbooks, easy integration, and helpful community support
    • "The most valuable features of Splunk Phantom are the easy integration with other solutions, including other Splunk solutions. The most important playbooks we need on a market come already on the Frontend. However, nowadays, Splunk changed its name, it's not Frontend anymore, it's Splunk Store. This is a very strong point."
    • "Splunk Phantom has room to improve its offering for small-sized customers. The price is not fair for smaller-sized customers."

What is our primary use case?

Splunk Phantom can be deployed on-premise and in the cloud.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of Splunk Phantom are the easy integration with other solutions, including other Splunk solutions. The most important playbooks we need on a market come already on the Frontend. However, nowadays, Splunk changed its name, it's not Frontend anymore, it's Splunk Store. This is a very strong point.

I have been using Splunk Phantom for approximately two years.

We have approximately six users from one client and four from another client using Splunk Phantom.

The technical support from Splunk Phantom is good. However, you can always resolve the problem with the community. Splunk has a very good community, and most of the time, we find a solution much better, it is easier and quicker in the community, instead of waiting to open a ticket for Splunk. When you open a ticket, you go into a queue, then the feedback is a little bit slower.

The initial implementation of Splunk Phantom is in the middle range of difficulty. It is not very easy because you need to understand a little bit of the solution to deploy it, but as soon as you learn it, it becomes very easy because most of the integrations are ready. It's very easy to change playbooks, or create a new playbook because you do not need to know how to code. It doesn't matter how the language of the coding it's running in the back end to learn your playbook. It is up to you to create a playbook using the UI interface. If you want, you can code your own if you enjoy coding. You can have the opportunity to change or create some playbooks with Python codes, but you don't need to do that, it is optional. Anyone can develop their own playbooks.

The deployment of Splunk Phantom on premises took approximately 15 days, and deployments in the cloud took approximately two days. You learn how to integrate the solution by doing it. It took about two days because it was my first time, but the next time, when I do it, it will take approximately half a day.

The price of Splunk Phantom is based on the number of people using it. Once you increase the users, the prices go goes up. The customer receives a license for the user that is going to operate it in their environment.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Splunk Phantom a ten out of ten.

Tech Analyst at a tech vendor with 11-50 employees
    Easy to install wth good documentation and automation capabilities
    • "The automation part of the product is great."
    • "The scalability could be better."

What is most valuable?

The automation part of the product is great.

Splunk Phantom can easily be connected with a lot of solutions that are available out there. The in-built apps are pretty useful to me.

It's easy to install and offers good documentation.

What needs improvement?

I don't have much experience with that. I'm not sure as I don't have much technical knowledge about Phantom in general. I have a little bit of experience with Phantom. I can't speak to any shortcomings right now.

The scalability could be better.

It's an expensive solution.

I've worked with the solution for the last year or so.

The solution is stable. There are no bugs or glitches and it doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

We faced a couple of issues scalability-wise, I would say it is average.

I've never contacted technical support. I wouldn't be able to comment on their level of helpfulness.

The solution's initial setup is easy and straightforward. They do offer great documentation, which helps with the process.

I'm not sure how many people were involved in the deployment or maintenance of the product.

I can't speak to if consultants or integrators were involved. I just have general knowledge of the setup and the solution itself.

I use a trial version, not an actual version. We are partners. We have our work license. My understanding is that the cost is pretty high compared to others, however, I'm not sure of the exact price.

Users just need to pay for their package. There are no add-on costs on top of that.

I'm not able to compare it with other solutions as I don't have experience with other solutions.

What other advice do I have?

We're a Splunk partner.

I'm dealing with the latest version of the solution.

I'd recommend the solution to companies just starting out.

I would rate the solution eight out of ten.

Cyber Security Solution Architect at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
    Easy to create playbooks, easy to deploy, and good integration capabilities and searching methodologies
    • "I like the integration capabilities of Phantom. It has a lot of integrations with other products. Its searching methodologies are also good. It is also easy to understand and easy to create playbooks."
    • "I haven't used it fully, but based on my usage, I could not find simulation tools and features. It currently lacks simulation features, which are important for me for creating a playbook. It is also very expensive for my region."

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case was for the MITRE ATT&CK parameters. I have some experience with MITRE ATT&CK for SIEM and SOAR solutions.

What is most valuable?

I like the integration capabilities of Phantom. It has a lot of integrations with other products.

Its searching methodologies are also good. It is also easy to understand and easy to create playbooks.

What needs improvement?

I haven't used it fully, but based on my usage, I could not find simulation tools and features. It currently lacks simulation features, which are important for me for creating a playbook.

It is also very expensive for my region.

I have been using this solution for one year.

I didn't focus on that feature, so I cannot say anything about that.

I don't have any experience with their technical support. My customer was using it in their company, and I had some experience with this solution over there while managing their security solutions, but I didn't get in touch with Splunk specialists.

Its initial setup is straightforward. It is similar to most of the solutions. I didn't have any complexity.

I don't know the exact price, but for my region, it is very expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution, but it also depends on the price. Splunk is number one for SIEM or SOAR. Another solution that I would recommend is Palo Alto XSOAR.

I would rate Splunk Phantom a nine out of ten.

Filip Stojkovski - PeerSpot reviewer
    VP - Security Automation Lead at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
    Feature rich, useful automation playbook, and reliable
    • "I have found all the security automation platform features of Splunk Phantom to be good. The Automation playbook development is highly useful."
    • "The Splunk Phantom platform was not designed specifically for case management which is why this area needs improvement."

What is our primary use case?

Security Operations and Incident response processes automation and alerts enrichment.

What is most valuable?

I have found all the security automation platform features of Splunk Phantom to be good. The Automation playbook development is highly useful.

What needs improvement?

The Splunk Phantom case management feature lacks some of the functionalities like the possibility to fully customize the fields for the tickets/events and create custom statuses.

I have used Splunk Phantom within the last 12 months.

Splunk Phantom is a stable solution.

The scalability of Splunk Phantom is good.

We have approximately 100 people using this solution in my organization.

The technical support is good.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

The initial setup of Splunk Phantom is complex. It has multiple integrations, deployable on many different development infrastructure stages of production. It has a full life cycle.

We have approximately two people for the maintenance and support of Splunk Phantom.

The price of Splunk Phantom is reasonable.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others is they will need some Python developers for Splunk Phantom because it's not possible to only throw some blocks of Python code and it will work. You will need some experienced Python developers if you want to work with this platform.

I rate Splunk Phantom a nine out of ten.

Head of Cyber Security Operations Centre at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Easy to use and popular with our team but is a bit expensive
    • "I'm just a beginner on the solution and it's pretty easy for me to use."
    • "We've had trouble implementing the solution with Microsoft products. There seems to be an integration gap."

What is most valuable?

I'm just a beginner on the solution and it's pretty easy for me to use.

Our team likes it. They've been using it for a while and they really seem to like it. They know more about it than I do at this point, as I'm still new.

It's a default for a lot of things on our system.

What needs improvement?

The pricing of the product could be more reasonable.

While I am a beginner on the Splunk platform, our team has a good amount of experience with it overall. I've personally only been working with it for two or three months or so. It hasn't been that long.

I've never actually opened a ticket with Splunk technical support in the past. I can't speak to how helpful or responsive they are. I don't have any experience with them to discuss how helpful or responsive they are.

The licenses are quite expensive at this time. They need to work on the pricing in order to make the costs much more reasonable.

What other advice do I have?

We are a customer and an end-user. We don't have a business relationship with Splunk.

I can't speak to which version of the solution we're using.

I'd rate the solution at seven out of ten overall.

Download our free Splunk Phantom Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: July 2022