We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why
Devanand PR
IT Support Executive at a healthcare company with 51-200 employees
Simple, stable and secure with regular timely updates
  • "The simplicity and timely updates."
  • "The interface could be simplified and diagnostic system graphs improved."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is as a firewall, failover management of the internet lines. We have over 50 people using the product on 200 devices and we use it on a daily basis. I'm an IT support executive and we're a customer of Sophos.

How has it helped my organization?

We are using sophos XG as the firewall for our offices, so any connections going outside of the office go through it. We are also using VPN clients and especially during the lockdown, it was very helpful.

What is most valuable?

I like the simplicity of the solution and the timely updates. It works well.

What needs improvement?

The interface could be improved by simplifying it and making it much smarter. I would also like to see an improvement in the diagnostic system graphs. They could be modified to provide individual graphs. The present page has all graphs in a single page and it slows things down and takes more time to refresh and load.

Additional features they could consider including in any update would be symbols and tools. They could also include URL groups and all Office updates, the regular things that people do on a daily basis.

I've been using this solution for the past year and a half.

This is a stable solution.

We haven't yet tried scaling, that will take another six months. I'll be in a better position to answer then.

The technical support is fine overall.

I've now configured three times and although it gets easier, deployment is a little complex. We had some issues with the company, unrelated to the product, more to do with the licensing procedures in India which could be simplified. Deployment only took about half an hour and the solution doesn't require any maintenance.

Licensing costs are generally set for three years.

PaloAlto, FirtiGate

What other advice do I have?

Before installing this product it's worth taking some lessons from the website which also provides some support. It's almost better than the technical support which is offline. If you have a good vendor with hands-on experience that's also helpful for first time deployment. After you've implemented once, it's easier the second time.

I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.

CIO at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Useful VPN, helpful vendor implementation, and quick support
  • "One of the most valuable features is the VPN."
  • "Sophos XG should improve on the GDPR features involving data protection and encryption. Security regarding data protection is important."

What is our primary use case?

We use Sophos XG to protect our perimeter network and internet access.

What is most valuable?

One of the most valuable features is the VPN.

What needs improvement?

Sophos XG should improve on the GDPR features involving data protection and encryption. Security regarding data protection is important.

I have been using Sophos XG since they bought Astaro, and it has been for approximately 15 years.

Sophos XG is stable. We've been using it for a long time. We had a lot of proposals from other vendors, but we decided to stick with Sophos.

We have found Sophos XG to be scalable.

We have approximately 150 people using the solution which includes people that do not know they are using it, collaborators, and administrators that work on it.

We had to use support a few times and the answers we received were straightforward and in a timely manner.

We were using other solutions previously. However, Sophos bought the companies that created them. We kept using the same solution but the name has changed.

The implementation of Sophos XG is not as straightforward as we would expect in the latest versions.

We used a company to do the implementation of Sophos XG. The process did not take very long, it took them approximately two weeks. It did not seem that difficult. Our experience with the vendor's support was very good.

We have a team of four that work on the Sophos XG for maintenance. They are not working on it full-time but they are all skilled to intervene if needed, and the first line of support for the solution.

Sophos XG is a very good solution, and it's cheaper than most of the other vendors. It is really affordable.

We are on a three-year license to use the solution.

I have evaluated other solutions, such as Check Point.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to those wanting to implement this solution would be training is required for the implementation.

I rate Sophos XG an eight out of ten.

I'm aware that there are other solutions that are probably better than Sophos XG, such as Check Point. However, I still find that it's a very good solution for small to mid-size companies.

Learn what your peers think about Sophos XG. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
564,599 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Manojkumar Deshmukh
G.M.(Works) at a manufacturing company with 501-1,000 employees
A stable firewall solution with a useful tunneling feature.
  • "I like the tunneling part which we are using for the VOIP. We have various other sites where we connect via tunneling. The tunneling part is very fast and easy to implement."
  • "It would be better if they made their own hardware like Palo Alto and Fortinet. They use their own ASICs and claim it is more secure."

What is our primary use case?

We use Sophos XG for the firewall.

What is most valuable?

I like the tunneling part which we are using for the VOIP. We have various other sites where we connect via tunneling. The tunneling part is very fast and easy to implement.

The deployment is very easy for my network team, and it is very easy to implement policies. The support that Sophos provides for the upgrade of new features and their interaction with the customer is very good.

Customer engagement is what I like about the product. We are very well informed about what is going on and new best practices. If anything new has gone wrong or anything in the world of cybersecurity we should know about, they will let us know.

Any firewall is dependent on how you use it. It's also on the user, how you configure it, what you allow, and what you don't allow, and so on. The ease of defining policies and the customer connect is what I appreciate about Sophos.

What needs improvement?

It would be better if they made their own hardware like Palo Alto and Fortinet. They use their own ASICs and claim it is more secure.

The SD-WAN can be improved. The traffic optimization somehow needs to be improved, or there is a scope for improvement in Sophos XG.

It would be better if they moved towards the cloud side of things. Now a lot of things are moving on to the cloud.

I have been using Sophos XG for a couple of years.

Sophos XG is a stable product.

Sophos XG is scalable.

The Sophos forum and Sophos direct support are excellent.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Sophos support a ten.

We had Cyberoam, which Sophos took over.

The initial setup is straightforward and took us about a week to deploy.

An internal team made up of two people implemented Sophos XG.

We generally buy it for a three-year license.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend Sophos XG to potential users.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Sophos XG an eight.

Milos Tolpa
IT Engineer at FormatPC
Reseller
User-friendly and helpful interface with good support that responds quickly
  • "The VPN access for users is also a great thing, especially nowadays when working from home."
  • "Having a web portal where you could make requests for the categorization of non-categorized items, would be beneficial."

What is our primary use case?

For the primary use cases, we use SSL VPN access for rolling remote access. We use web filtering and we use the intrusion prevention that comes with network protection.

What is most valuable?

The user interface is very user-friendly and very helpful.

What needs improvement?

Categorization or uncategorized websites is an area that needs improvement.

The DLP rules don't cover countries such as Serbia. You cannot make custom rules. That could be added so that we could detect content that is not supposed to leave the company via email, and so that the rules could be customized by the clients.

We only have predefined rules and most of them are not for Serbia or countries from the Region.

We have been using Sophos from the time they acquired Astaro, before that it was UTM, then they released the XG firewall.

We are using the latest version.

It's a stable solution. We have not experienced any issues.

It's a scalable product. In the office, we have four users in our organization.

Our experience with technical support has been positive.

We have support from the local distributor. We have rarely had the need to contact technical support but when we have, we have had quick responses from them.

The initial setup is very straightforward and the implementation takes a relatively short amount of time. The fine-tuning takes a little bit more time but in general, it can be deployed and implemented quickly.

Also, the upgrades, backups, and recovery are very easy.

We are Sophos partners, we sell them and implement them ourselves.

We only need one engineer to deploy and maintain this solution. If you have a bigger deployment then you need two engineers.

Licensing fees are on a yearly basis.

What other advice do I have?

I can recommend this solution to others who are interested in using it.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Managing Director at a comms service provider with 1-10 employees
Reliable, user-friendly, and provides good endpoint protection
  • "Sophos XG is easy to use."
  • "The only area that requires improvement is scalability."

What is our primary use case?

The majority of our customers use Sophos XG as a traditional firewall. Some use it for endpoint protection, which is similar to anti-virus.

We also have customers that have SD-WAN as part of their use case. For the most part, it is a firewall, it depends on what the customer environment looks like that would determine how you're going to configure the appliance to work for the customer.

Technology can deliver what you want based on your environment, what you do may differ from what others do.

We have customers from insurance, some oil, and gas, as well as some from the banking sector. Based on the technicality and the peculiarities of the environment, we must explain the technology, of how Fortinet delivers its own firewall, and also others such as Check Point, and Palo Alto deliver their own firewall.

With the explanation given the customer can choose the solution, they want in their environment.

What is most valuable?

Sophos XG is easy to use.

What needs improvement?

The only area that requires improvement is scalability.

I understand why scalability is difficult in all firewalls. I understand why it is difficult in our firewalls. If you want to scale, you can scale vertically or horizontally. That is the world of scalability. However, you cannot do so for the firewall. It's a forklift, you have to buy a new appliance.

We have been deploying Sophos XG for our customers for many years.

The stability is based on the environment.

Every firewall solution has a different level of scalability. The majority of firewalls are based on the user. Scalability, in Sophos XG, requires a forklift.

The scalability could be improved.

We have between 12 and 16 customers.

I have never contacted technical support.

We have deployed more Sophos this year than in any previous year.

I have six engineers dedicated to deploying and maintaining the solution.

It is a price-based solution, not based on technology.

Licensing fees are paid on a yearly basis.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others who are interested in using it.

I would rate Sophos XG an eight out of ten.

Hariram Ale
Sr. Network Officer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Features a great firewall but better solutions exist regarding email security
  • "The user interface is very good."
  • "We are not very happy with the customer support they provide — it's quite slow."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution as our main firewall. We also use it for email security purposes. Within our organization, there are roughly eight employees using this solution.

What is most valuable?

The user interface is very good. As we've been using Sophos for four years now, we're very comfortable with the GUI interface. In addition, the IPS is quite good.

What needs improvement?

We recently updated our previous version; now, the security licensing fee is quite high. I don't know if it's a bug in the OS, but it's not been very stable after we upgraded to the latest version.

we have been using Sophos for XG for four years.

Sophos is quite stable.

It's not that scalable but it's good enough for us.

We are not very happy with the customer support they provide — it's quite slow.

A year ago, we contacted technical support regarding the high security licensing fees but they still haven't gotten back to us; they're still analyzing the log.

Support-wise, I would only give Sophos a rating of three to four out of ten.

For us, the installation was very straightforward. We deal with a local vendor and they guide us through the installation process. We haven't experienced any issues setting up this solution.

The price of Sophos is reasonable. It's not too expensive — I think it's worth it. Price-wise, I'd give Sophos a rating of eight out of ten.

Before Sophos, we were using Fortinet. Fortinet was also a good solution but Sophos was equipped with more features that we needed.

What other advice do I have?

Feature-wise, I would give Sophos a rating of seven out of ten.

They need to improve their support, overall customer care, and lower the security licensing fees. If they improved these issues, I would give them a higher rating.

Before upgrading any Sophos firmware, be sure to contact the Sophos team and upgrade it according to their advice. Without their advice, I wouldn't recommend performing an upgrade.

Jasim Alsafran
Network & System Administrator at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Easy to set up, monitor, and block traffic, but the stability could be better
  • "The most valuable features are the central management, the user VPN, and communications."
  • "I need to open the email to see what it contains and the value of it before I know whether to access it or not."

What is our primary use case?

We are using this product to monitor traffic, payments, and VPN access to our branches. Some are using VPN with hooks, Sophos XG 210, and the main one they are using in the data center is Sophos XG 310.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the central management, the user VPN, and communications.

You can monitor and block traffic.

What needs improvement?

In regards to email as an example, if you experience any malware, it is contained in the container but doesn't give you any information about the email, or what is contained in the email. You only have the option to reject it or to release it.

I need to open the email to see what it contains and the value of it before I know whether to access it or not.

Stability needs improvements.

We started with Sophos SG UTM 9, then we upgraded to XG. We have been using the latest version of XG for two years.

The stability could be better.

It's scalable and good for small businesses.

We have approximately 120 users.

I have contacted technical support three to five times per year.

It's good, but I don't have many questions to ask.

Previously, I was using Sophos SG. We were not using any other software from any other vendor. We have only dealt with Sophos.

The initial setup was simple. It was not complicated.

If you are familiar with the technology, the implementation will not be difficult.

It also depends on the business needs.

From testing and switching from SG to XG, it took approximately one week to deploy.

We had help from the vendor. The maintenance and the VPN connection is done in-house.

It is not expensive, it's a reasonable price.

There are some additional fees for additional tools.

What other advice do I have?

I can recommend Sophos XG to others who are interested in using this solution.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Ricardo Quintero
Infrastructure/Telcom Coordinator at Schnellecke Group AG & Co. KG
The price is right and it's easy to manage, so it's a good fit for our current needs
  • "Sophos XG's price is right, and it's easy to manage. It's a good fit for our current needs at the moment."
  • "Sophos XG's user interface has some room for improvement."

What is our primary use case?

We're using Sophos XG within one business unit for security. We use it for the firewall and mapping some services.

What is most valuable?

Sophos XG's price is right, and it's easy to manage. It's a good fit for our current needs at the moment.

What needs improvement?

Sophos XG's user interface has some room for improvement.

We started using Sophos XG in June of this year, so it has only been a few months.

I think Sophos XG is stable.

Sophos XG is scalable. We have about 600 users here in Mexico, and everyone is behind this solution. I think it's possible we might increase usage, and we've discussed this with our corporate office in Germany. We could decide to go with another product, but we might expand Sophos if it performs well.

Support is one area where I have some issues. Sophos support isn't that good.

In some companies where I've worked, I used Fortinet and ASA with FirePOWER from Cisco. In some places, I used Meraki with the MX and the Advance Security licensing. I have some issues with other technologies. Last year, they had Sophos UTM on the devices, but there was an opportunity was to switch our clients to Sophos XG and try out the solution.

Setting up Sophos XG is too easy. It took about two hours. The only part of the solution that I deployed was the firewalls. It's something I do all the time in my business unit, so it was quick. We have two people responsible for deployment and maintenance, including me.

I had some support from a partner.

A Sophos XG license costs approximately $45,000

What other advice do I have?

I rate Sophos XG nine out of 10. Our experience so far has been good, but maybe we'll come across another solution that's at the same or a higher level.

Product Categories
Firewalls
Download our free Sophos XG Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.