IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Skype for Business OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Skype for Business is #7 ranked solution in top Virtual Meetings tools. PeerSpot users give Skype for Business an average rating of 7.0 out of 10. Skype for Business is most commonly compared to Webex: Skype for Business vs Webex. Skype for Business is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 63% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 23% of all views.

Download the Virtual Meetings Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2022

What is Skype for Business?
Skype for Business offers features including presence, IM, voice and video calls, online meetings, conferencing, and telephony solutions that support enterprise-level collaboration requirements. Skype for Business Record meetings, share your screen, and annotate PowerPoint for real-time collaboration with up to 250 people and use whiteboard, polls, Q&A, and built-in IM during your business meetings to make them more productive. Skype for Business provides new client experience, Skype for Business Server provides several new features to improve manageability of on-premises servers and hybrid solutions. Skype for Business also supports the Lync client experience so that you can choose a phased upgrade approach to the new client experience for users. Skype for Business is also an integral part of Microsoft Office 365, providing PSTN Conferencing, Cloud PBX, PSTN Calling, and Skype Meeting Broadcast capabilities to Office 365 users.

Skype for Business was previously known as Skype for Business Plan 1, Skype for Business Plan 2, Lync Server.

Skype for Business Customers

EmpireCLS Worldwide Chauffeured Services,LA Fitness, MedcoEnergi International, Tampa General Hospital, and HopewellHoldings Limited.

Skype for Business Video

Skype for Business Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Skype for Business pricing:
"We had a license for every one of our users to use Skype for Business. The license we used was part of an overall Microsoft license package."

Skype for Business Reviews

Principal Engineer at Dell EMC
Communication and collaboration tool with multi-device setup, but lacks dynamic file updating
  • "One of the best features of Skype for Business is that you can set it up on mobile phones, and you can set it up on laptops. You can connect to the tool from anywhere."
  • "The tool needs to have a dynamic file updating feature, so people you share a file with could update the file dynamically, all at once, all at the same time."

What is our primary use case?

Skype for Business was one of the prime tools we used to communicate with vendors. We also used it for communicating with other employees internally, within our organization.

What is most valuable?

We had a very good experience with Skype for Business. It was a helpful tool, and one of the best tools I've ever worked with. It's just that our organization is now starting to use Microsoft Teams, so people are diverted into that tool slowly and steadily. We can organize meetings and send across files on it, e.g. there are a lot of options you can use on Microsoft Teams. Both Skype for Business and Microsoft Teams have multiple advantages.

One of the best features of Skype for Business is that you can set it up on mobile phones, and you can set it up on laptops. You can connect to the tool from anywhere.

What needs improvement?

Dynamic file updating is a feature I haven't seen on Skype for Business. It's an area for improvement, e.g. I've seen that feature on Microsoft Teams, but not on this tool. If I send one file and shared it with 10 resources, for example, those 10 resources can update that file dynamically all at once, at the same time. Being able to update a file dynamically, by more than one resource, is one of the best features that isn't available on Skype for Business.

Skype for Business is a stable tool. It's just that our organization has moved to Microsoft Teams, but I found Skype for Business to be stable.

July 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Microsoft, Cisco, TeamViewer and others in Virtual Meetings. Updated: July 2022.
621,548 professionals have used our research since 2012.

Scalability is present in Skype for Business, e.g. you can use it to participate in one-to-one chats, and you can have a call with multiple people on it. If you have an organization with 3,000 people, you can manage it very nicely on Skype for Business. The tool can also scale from 10,000 to 20,000 users. It's a scalable tool.

What other advice do I have?

We have Skype for Business in our organization, and our last usage of it was six months ago.

I'm unable to comment on the initial setup of Skype for Business, because the installation was done by our IT team. Our team just used the tool. My work is on IT infrastructure, and Skype for Business is one of the communication tools that our local IT team provided to us. Our IT team took care of the installation.

Everyone in our organization used Skype for Business. Everyone was using the same thing, because there was no other option that time. Slowly and steadily, people went on to use Microsoft Teams, and I started using Zoom for meetings, because once the pandemic came in, everything was remote. Our organization wanted a tool which had better quality, or could be a better way to communicate, so we went onto Zoom and Microsoft Teams. Prior to those two tools, we used Skype for Business.

I'm rating Skype for Business seven out of ten. It's a really good solution.

Wafaa Salah - PeerSpot reviewer
Associate professor in accounting at The British University in Egypt
Scalable and easy to install communication tool, but its group feature needs improvement
  • "Scalable communication tool that's easy to install. Even old people are using it, because of its ease of use."
  • "The group feature of Skype for Business needs improvement. It should also be improved for online lectures."

What is our primary use case?

We use Skype for Business as a tool for our online lectures. We're using it as an online platform for the tutorials and lectures we give our students.

What is most valuable?

I find Skype for Business a good solution. It works well. The tool can be nice if I'm talking to one of my colleagues, or doing a small session where I don't have to share content, or where I don't have to divide students to groups, or make a group work together.

What needs improvement?

Skype for Business is not suitable for giving lectures. Tools more suitable for online lectures are Zoom and Microsoft Teams, because you can divide students into groups. I didn't see this feature in Skype for Business, and if it's there, I don't know that it's there.

I've been using Skype for Business since COVID-19 started, e.g. 2020. The coronavirus makes us use these technologies extensively.

The stability of Skype for Business is based on the internet, e.g. if your internet is good, then the tool is good. If your internet is not good, then the tool is not good.

I find Skype for Business easy to expand. It's scalable.

Installing Skype for Business was easy. We installed in 10 years ago, and we use it like a phone. We call our friends who are abroad, e.g. instead of using international minutes in our mobiles, we use Skype as a technology to call our colleagues. Installation was easy, and its available on mobile and on the computer. I installed Skype for Business myself.

I never paid for a Skype for Business license as it's free on my device, but Zoom, we pay $20 a month.

I evaluated Zoom and Microsoft Teams.

What other advice do I have?

I don't have information on how many users can use Skype for Business at the same time, because I didn't use it with students. I used it to call my friends, e.g. just one or two friends, and not more than that number.

I would recommend Skype for Business to others, because it's good. It's a good software to talk to others. Even old people are using the tool.

My rating for Skype for Business is seven out of ten.

July 2022
621,548 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Ato Abonalla - PeerSpot reviewer
Cybersecurity Solution Architect at a tech vendor with 10,001+ employees
Reliable, offers seamless integrations, and has many features
  • "I like the seamless integration to local telecommunications."
  • "I don't recall coming across any big missing features."

What is our primary use case?

This is our primary application for virtual meetings. However, we have MS Teams and the company is positioned to use more of MS Teams going forward. Skype is more of a chat application nowadays.

What is most valuable?

I like the seamless integration to local telecommunications. We can call local numbers in different countries, and pretty much call anyone who is within the same system using Skype. If I'm not mistaken, it can also add people to my list (from my personal contacts) that are using Skype.

What needs improvement?

It does everything I really need it to do. I don't recall coming across any big missing features.

I've used Skype for Business for as long as I can remember. I started using that more than five years ago.

It is stable. I haven't experienced any problems while I've been on a call, for example, or in a meeting. It's pretty reliable and the performance is good.

I've never had the chance to really scale it. I can't speak to how well it can expand.

We have about 1,000 people using the solution right now.

I've never really dealt with technical support. I can't speak to how they are in terms of helpfulness or responsiveness.

We also use MS Teams. I also have some experience with Cisco.

When I came to this company, they were using Skype, so I adopted it. I didn't migrate over to something else with any other purpose in mind.

I'm merely a user of Skype. I did not handle the initial setup.

My colleague handled the implementation.

I'm not sure what the licensing costs are for the product. It's not an aspect of the solution that I handle.

What other advice do I have?

We do have a partnership with Microsoft and are integrators.

The company will push out the newest version and purchase it. I'm pretty sure we are using the latest version.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten.

I would recommend the solution to other users and companies.

I'd advise users to try to familiarize themselves with the features so that they can get the most out of Skype.

Technology Manager at City of Markham
Convenient and easy to use but could be more collaborative
  • "People are now able to virtually collaborate with their staff and have a conference call. We don't need a phone line to make that conference call and we are saving on that. People are able to share their presentations. Also, they can chat using the Skype"
  • "We are looking for a more collaborative tool, not only in terms of virtual meetings but also for teams to collaborate, share a document, work together, and all those types of things."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for our internal communication.

What is most valuable?

In terms of what I have found most valuable - with COVID people are now able to virtually collaborate with their staff and have a conference call. We don't need a phone line to make that conference call and we are saving on that. People are able to share their presentations. Also, they can chat using the Skype. It's not a great tool, but it meets our need right now.

What needs improvement?

We have been using Skype for Business from right when Skype introduced it - many years.

For the last two years, we have been using it and it has been stable. People are not getting dropped out from meetings. We are able to have 50 users in a meeting. It is something that is available as part of our enterprise agreement with Microsoft, so there is no additional cost.

As part of our EA, we have support. Usually we also have a dedicated account manager for any Microsoft product, not just the Skype, if we are not able to get support. We never had any problems with Skype. We never had to call in for technical support since it was set up and running. Periodically, we continue to apply patches and upgrades. So far, we never had any issues and there was never a need to make a call to Microsoft to resolve any issue, but we do have support in place, and if we don't get prompt response, then we have the account manager to escalate and, usually, the account manager is able to assign a technical lead expert to help us resolve the issue in a quick manner.

What other advice do I have?

I think Skype for Business has been discontinued, so I don't think anybody should be interested in implementing it. Microsoft is not selling it anymore, but the product is still supported until the end of 2023.

On a scale of one to ten, I would give Skype for Business a six.

Chris Biemans - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior ICT Consultant at CGI Inc
Reliable, useful for remote work, and great but isn't as robust as Microsoft Teams
  • "The solution is stable and scalable."
  • "Microsoft Teams, as I see it now, is more useful than Skype for Business."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is primarily used for communication, file transfer, and everything around our work.

How has it helped my organization?

While I used the solution recently, I now have another job. I work for another firm and they use Microsoft Teams.

What is most valuable?

It was handy for when you were working from home.

The solution is stable and scalable.

What needs improvement?

Microsoft Teams, as I see it now, is more useful than Skype for Business. It's more integrated and it's the next step for us. We'd like Skype for Business to be better integrated with Microsoft.

While last year I used Skype for Business and in the team I'm now on, everything is on Microsoft Teams.

The stability was good. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

The scalability is quite good. We are quite happy with its ability to expand.

There are 5,000 or 6,000 users. Everyone uses it. We were all working from home and we had to communicate, and, therefore, we used Skype for Business.

I can't speak to the technical support. I only used this as a user and I have no complaints about it.

I've been using Skype for Business as well as Microsoft Teams.

We also used WebEx.

The initial setup is straightforward and it didn't cost me much time to learn, to understand how Skype for Business can work with something else, for example, SAP.

I set up the solution in-house.

The solution does require a license. I'm not sure if it's monthly or yearly.

It was another department that was responsible for licensing. I was responsible for the software implementation.

What other advice do I have?

I'd rate the solution a six out of ten.

Software Engineer at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Beneficial instant messaging, straightforward installation, but documentation needs improvement
  • "Skype for Business is good for meetings and instant messaging."
  • "Skype for Business could improve by having a document channel or repository. Microsoft Teams has a better repository place for documents that you can share with your team. You can access it anywhere from any device."

What is our primary use case?

We use Skype for Business for virtual meetings and messages.

What is most valuable?

Skype for Business is good for meetings and instant messaging.

What needs improvement?

Skype for Business could improve by having a document channel or repository. Microsoft Teams has a better repository place for documents that you can share with your team. You can access it anywhere from any device.

The documentation for Skype for Business could improve.

I have been using Skype for Business for approximately three years.

Skype for Business is a stable solution.

The scalability of Skype for Business was good.

My company has many global employees, approximately 6,000 and everyone was using Skype for Business before we switched to Microsoft Teams.

The technical support from Skype for Business was reliable.

I have used previously many other solutions, such as IBM and Microsoft Teams.

The initial setup is straightforward. It is not a complicated process.

I did the implementation myself.

We did not have an explicit technical team from Skype for Business. We were using our local IT team of six engineers who was managing it in case of any issues.

What other advice do I have?

I would not recommend Skype for Business because Microsoft Teams has more features, a lightweight application that I access on my mobile. Additionally, I can chat with my teammates and anybody else in the organization. The document repository is useful. I have access to SharePoint which is easily available and I can access it from the mobile device at any time. If I was to compare Microsoft Teams and Skype for Business, I would recommend Microsoft Teams. However, if the only requirement is to have meetings, chats, or instant messaging, then Skype for Business is not a bad choice.

I rate Skype for Business a six out of ten.

Cliff Matonda - PeerSpot reviewer
System Administrator at Finlays
Integrates well, simple deppoyment, and good support
  • "The most valuable feature of Skype for Business is that it has many other tools that you can be integrated with it. It makes the meetings more interactive."
  • "The challenge we had with Skype for Business was with the signing in when a user signed out and when signing in back in again, there was a bit of a problem. We switched from Skype for Business to Teams, and Teams never had that sign-in problem once we did the switch."

What is our primary use case?

Skype for Business is used for overall communication and meetings. Our organization is spread across the globe, it makes it easier for people to meet virtually.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of Skype for Business is that it has many other tools that you can be integrated with it. It makes the meetings more interactive.

What needs improvement?

The challenge we had with Skype for Business was with the signing in when a user signed out and when signing in back in again, there was a bit of a problem. We switched from Skype for Business to Teams, and Teams never had that sign-in problem once we did the switch.

The interface of Skype for Business could be better. It was not very user-friendly.

I have been using Skype for Business for approximately two years.

The stability of Skype for Business is good.

Skype for Business is scalable.

We had a license for every user, but the majorly of the people who do meetings, are not so many. We would have meetings for all the staff, and approximately 80 people would attend. However, on average 20 to 30 people would often use it during meetings.

The support from Skype for Business is good.

Skype for Business was simple to implement, but it was a little more involved than Microsoft Teams.

The solution is very simple to implement. It is similar to any other Windows application. There was no need for assistance.

We had a license for every one of our users to use Skype for Business. The license we used was part of an overall Microsoft license package.

What other advice do I have?

We switched now from Skype for Business to Teams and the experience has been better.

I would recommend this solution to others.

I rate Skype for Business an eight out of ten.

Regional Sales Director - India & Middle East at a computer software company with 201-500 employees
Straightforward to set up and offers a fast deployment but needs to be user-friendly
  • "The deployment is very fast."
  • "There are not many options, in terms of some other third-party integration."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for business purposes. We use it for virtual meetings.

What is most valuable?

The initial setup is pretty straightforward.

The deployment is very fast.

What needs improvement?

It needs to be easier to use. The product is very heavy. It's very unmanageable. It used to take up a lot of memory of my computer system.

There are not many options, in terms of some other third-party integration. The adoption of Zoom primarily spiked during the pandemic and is sort of better. This solution is now being used much less.

The solution isn't scalable.

I've been dealing with the solution for one and a half years so far.

The solution is very stable and unmanageable.

The product doesn't really scale all that well.

We have about a hundred users on the solution.

I don't have any experience with technical support. I can't speak to how they are in terms of helpfulness or responsiveness.

I'm also familiar with Microsoft Teams or Zoom.

The initial setup is not overly difficult. It's pretty straightforward in general. A company shouldn't have any issues with the process.

The deployment is also quick and only takes a minute or so.

I handled the implementation myself. I didn't need the help of any consultants or integrators.

While it's my understanding that users would need to pay for a license, I have no visibility on the costs involved.

What other advice do I have?

I'd rate the solution at a five out of ten.

I wouldn't really recommend the solution to other users or organizations. I'd rather suggest Zoom or Microsoft Teams, which are better options.

Download our free Virtual Meetings Report and find out what your peers are saying about Microsoft, Cisco, TeamViewer, and more!
Updated: July 2022