We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why
Manager at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
Useful for virtual meetings and very stable
  • "The most valuable feature is how useful it has been for virtual meetings during the pandemic."
  • "This service could be improved by adding some missing features. It lacks integration with Teams, which is a feature I would like to see in the next release."

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case is for virtual meetings.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

This service could be improved by adding some missing features. It lacks integration with Teams, which is a feature I would like to see in the next release.

I have been using Skype for Business for four years.

The stability of this solution is perfect. I would rank it a ten out of ten.

This solution is scalable. The conference calls can be between many people.

I have never dealt with technical support.

Installation is straightforward. It takes a few minutes. It's part of the Microsoft Office Suite, so when you install Office, you get all these tools together.

I implemented through an in-house team.

There is a licensing cost, as far as I know, but I'm not sure how much it costs. If you buy the Microsoft suite, you get this product as well. So if you are already installing the suite, you get all these tools together.

I did not evaluate any other solutions before using Skype for Business

What other advice do I have?

The performance is pretty good. This is a mature application with no bugs, and I have no complaints. There are over 500 people using Skype for Business in my organization. But I know that Microsoft intends to end this software and move all users to Teams, so I'm not sure if my recommendation of this software will be of use to people who are looking to implement it.

I would rate Skype for Business an eight out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
Manager, Quality and Process Excellence at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
A stable solution with good support for working from home
  • "The most valuable feature is stability."
  • "We have had trouble with scalability when trying to host large meetings."

What is our primary use case?

We use Skype for all of our video conference purposes.

How has it helped my organization?

Skype for Business and video conferencing makes it easier to work from home.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is stability.

What needs improvement?

The quality of calls has to be improved. I don't know whether it is a server problem that is taking away from the quality, but I have found that it is sometimes poor.

We have had trouble with scalability when trying to host large meetings.

We have been using Skype for Business for close to three years.

Stability is good but there are issues with call quality.

I would rate scalability average because I have found that there is an upper limit to the number of people that can be added to a conference. I'm not sure whether it is depending on the license that my organization has, but I do find that scalability is an issue in a large conference scenario.

It is used across our organization, with close to 15,000 or 16,000 users.

Our in-house team is responsible for technical support, although if they cannot handle the problem then they contact Skype. When this has happened, our problems have been resolved very fast.

I have been receiving meeting invitations from outside of our organization using other solutions, such as Webex. When I attend those meetings I use their software.

Our in-house IT group pre-installed this solution for me. They also handle our support.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Skype for Business. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
564,599 professionals have used our research since 2012.
VijayKumar4
AVP - Cyber Secuirty at Cloud4C Services
MSP
Enables our teams to have real-time collaboration
  • "It has benefited my organization because I can use it on the phone, I can use it on a laptop, wherever I want. The communication channel is very easy now and I can call and chat. It's experienced. Together, my team manages everything. It's very easy."
  • "We have found that there is a lag because it cannot integrate with the internal landline."

How has it helped my organization?

It has benefited my organization because I can use it on the phone, I can use it on a laptop, wherever I want. The communication channel is very easy now and I can call and chat. It's experienced. Together, my team manages everything. It's very easy.

What is most valuable?

There are many valuable features. For collaboration purposes, there are many motivation integrations.

What needs improvement?

We have found that there is a lag because it cannot integrate with the internal landline. It's easier to integrate in the U.S.

We use a link as a browser calling so only calling is available.

I have been using Skype for Business for one year.

You need to follow the guidelines for the HN to be built on multiple servers and multiple in procedures. It's not a big challenge. The stability and the scalability are not a big challenge at all.

We haven't received high availability. There is no problem because you need to follow their guidelines, build the HN high availability solutions. We don't have an issue.

There are 900 users who use it in my company. It's used on a daily basis.

Microsoft support is fantastic. I don't have any problems.

What other advice do I have?

People are working from home and this collaboration is efficient and we see real-time collaboration happening from the teams. This is a very good solution for work from home concepts.

In the next release, I would like to see the ability to do group calling.

I would rate Sype for Business a nine out of ten.

Aliyar Balikci
Information Technology Senior Administrator at Genpa
Great for virtual meetings, and dependable but the setup is complex
  • "It's a good product, we like using it."
  • "The initial setup could be simplified."

What is our primary use case?

We use Skype for Business for virtual meetings.

What is most valuable?

It's a good product, we like using it.

What needs improvement?

The initial setup could be simplified.

I have been using Skype for Business for approximately 10 years.

We are using the older version, but it is enough for us.

We have no problems with the stability of Skype for Business.

We have 300 users on all levels using this solution.

I have not contacted technical support.

The initial setup was not easy. You must have experience.

I completed the setup myself.

We purchased an open license.

We own the license. You can buy a license once and use it for a long time. If you do not want to upgrade or you don't need to upgrade the license, you can keep it for a long time.

What other advice do I have?

This is not a solution I would recommend. We purchased the license approximately six years ago. If you are thinking about using this solution, I would recommend purchasing a new cloud-based license. They should use Teams. I would recommend Teams. Skype is outdated.

I would Skype for Business a seven out of ten.

Microsoft Azure
Sr. IT Project Manager at a university with self employed
Easy to set up and organize meetings, and integrates with Outlook
  • "The quality of the meetings is very good."
  • "We need a feature where you can virtually raise your hand to silently let the presenter know that you have a question."

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the ease of organizing and setting up a meeting.

It is integrated with my Outlook, which is helpful.

The quality of the meetings is very good.

What needs improvement?

I have been using Skype for Business for between five and seven years.

The meetings can easily be expanded. Once you have the link you can push it, even in a WhatsApp group, to have all of your invitees become part of the meeting. The typical meeting for me is about 30 people.

We have begun using Microsoft Teams in place of Skype for Business and it is very good for collaboration. However, it is also missing the "raise hand" feature.

The initial setup was not difficult for me.

What other advice do I have?

My understanding is that Skype for Business will be retired in July of 2021, so I am in the process of migrating to Teams.