IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

SharePoint Designer OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

SharePoint Designer is #2 ranked solution in top .NET Development Services. PeerSpot users give SharePoint Designer an average rating of 8 out of 10. SharePoint Designer is most commonly compared to Microsoft Visual Studio: SharePoint Designer vs Microsoft Visual Studio. SharePoint Designer is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 56% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 23% of all views.
SharePoint Designer Buyer's Guide

Download the SharePoint Designer Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2022

What is SharePoint Designer?
SharePoint Designer is the tool of choice for the rapid development of SharePoint applications. Using SharePoint Designer, advanced users and developers alike can rapidly create SharePoint solutions in response to business needs. Advanced users can compose no-code solutions that encompass a variety of common scenarios, from collaborative sites and web publishing to Line-Of-Business data integration, business intelligence solutions, and human workflows, leveraging the building blocks available in SharePoint in an easy to use environment.
SharePoint Designer Customers
Pyrotek Inc., ICA, Deliver Australia, Secretary of Economy of Mexico, Aegon, ABB Switzerland, Ascent Yarns Private Limited, Bakewell Biscuits Pvt Ltd, Hitachi Consulting
SharePoint Designer Video

SharePoint Designer Pricing Advice

What users are saying about SharePoint Designer pricing:
  • "Most of the time, our customer's license from Microsoft includes the cost of SharePoint. However, if you have to buy it then SharePoint is quite expensive."
  • "There is no licensing cost for Designer—it's free."
  • "SharePoint Online has a subscription-based model for payments and the price is based on user usage."
  • "Priced per user per month with different plans to choose from."
  • "We are using an enterprise SharePoint Designer license."
  • "SharePoint Designer is less expensive than other solutions we have used. We purchased Office 365 which SharePoint comes with the package."
  • SharePoint Designer Reviews

ChristianBegaux - PeerSpot reviewer
    Consultant DMS/ECM at Boint / Doc
    Poor interface makes it complex to use, but the collaboration features are good
    • "SharePoint has very good features for collaboration."
    • "SharePoint is too complex to install and maintain."

What is our primary use case?

We are a consultancy and I am a project manager. We implement solutions for our customers and I have led several projects that involve SharePoint, as well as other similar technologies. My area of expertise is ECM, document management, information management, and related tasks. The best business case for SharePoint is team collaboration. It can support a small team of people working on a project that involves an agenda, Wiki documents, and other related material. However, it's primarily used for temporary projects. These days, I no longer work on SharePoint projects.

How has it helped my organization?

Using SharePoint helps our customers to better manage projects within their companies. Specifically, it allows them to easily connect people both internal and external to the organization and facilitates document exchange.

What is most valuable?

SharePoint has very good features for collaboration.

What needs improvement?

One of the problems with SharePoint is that it claims to have so many features that people think they can do everything, and that is not correct. If you want to do everything, you're going to spend a lot of money to achieve your goals. Essentially, the marketing from Microsoft is very positive but from a consultancy point of view, it gets us in trouble because people have unrealistic expectations of the solution. SharePoint is too complex to install and maintain. The admin interface is poor, making it too complex to manage projects. The integration with other products is poor. There are too many instances where we needed to call a third-party software company because functionality tried by the user in the other solution was not covered by SharePoint. In the future, SharePoint needs to cover more of our needs for us to continue using it. For example, the workflow is not correctly integrated.
    SharePoint Designer
    June 2022
    Learn what your peers think about SharePoint Designer. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2022.
    610,045 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I have worked with SharePoint Designer for more than six years.

The stability of SharePoint depends on the client's architecture. If it's a simple installation then it's stable. But, in a more complex deployment, it is less reliable. For example, I have worked with SharePoint in a highly complex organization in the financial industry. Every week, the system would crash. The IT would have to tell the users that it wasn't working and then resolve the issue. Overall, it's not the best solution in terms of stability.

SharePoint is scalable, albeit complex. We have approximately 10 customers that we have deployed SharePoint for. They have multidisciplinary teams, and people in many different roles use the software.

There are two levels of support for SharePoint. The first is from the company that sells it, which is the main integrator. The second level of support is from Microsoft, which is quite different. Most of the time, the support from the integrator is valuable, whereas the support from Microsoft is too basic. I would rate the support from Microsoft a two out of five.

I have used several similar products including those from Alfresco, Laserfiche, and IBM.

The initial setup is highly complex and the deployment strategy varies depending on the needs of the client. It requires between one and three IT architects for the installation, depending on the customer's environment. I would rate the ease of installation and setup a one out of five.

In terms of ROI, I would rate SharePoint a one out of five.

Most of the time, our customer's license from Microsoft includes the cost of SharePoint. However, if you have to buy it then SharePoint is quite expensive. I would rate the pricing a two out of five.

Based on my areas of expertise, I have to make recommendations to our clients about which solutions they should implement. I rarely advise my clients to use SharePoint. In fact, out of ten customers, on average, I would recommend SharePoint to two or three of them. SharePoint is simply not dedicated enough to documentation management when people are looking for a real DMS or ECM solution.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is considering SharePoint is to first define your needs and then take quite a good look at the market. For tasks including document management, ECM, or a platform content service (PCS), most of the time, you will be better served by a solution other than SharePoint. If, on the other hand, you are looking for team collaboration, then SharePoint may be a good option. Overall, I am not very satisfied with SharePoint. I would rate this solution a five out of ten.

Senior Architect at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Enables us to build workflow processes from end-to-end
    • "The technical support from Microsoft is very good."
    • "The new SharePoint Designer is very limited."

What is our primary use case?

We were reviewing this tool for one of our clients — we work with both medium and large enterprises. Currently, they are using Documentum but they are interested in migrating to SharePoint, so they asked us to compare the two. I am part of an IT company where we do a lot of solutions and service-based IT. We do things for many customers from the IT side.

SharePoint Designer is for the developer or the administrator, it's not for the end product (the business user).

We use SharePoint to improve sequencing and workflow design in general, and it can be used to build a workflow process from end-to-end.

We also use the classic version of SharePoint to do work on the master page, pinning, and other things. We can use SharePoint Designer for that. We also copy our data from our SharePoint site by using SharePoint Designer to cut and paste.

What is most valuable?

SharePoint Designer is a great tool. The new workflow platform, Power Automate, which can be integrated with SharePoint Designer, is going to be great because currently, SharePoint Designer is only compatible with workflows.

What needs improvement?

Because things are moving toward the cloud, they should design a pin in SharePoint Designer that would be great because we do some coding for that.

SharePoint Designer should be integrated with SharePoint, for example, SharePoint Online can be integrated with SharePoint Designer to perform activities such as backup and restoration, that would provide a great advantage for developers and administrators. Naturally, this integration would also help Microsoft grow its SharePoint market.

We use Power Automate in the cloud, it would be great if we could do that with SharePoint Designer and publish it to the cloud. It would be nice if we could work offline, too. It is not always necessary to be online. The modern platform, from Microsoft Modern UI, is easily designed with integrated teams within SharePoint Designer, which will be a great advantage.

I have been using SharePoint since June 2007. We were using SharePoint Designer 2013, but we have recently upgraded to modern SharePoint; however, because the development platform was changed, the new SharePoint Designer is very limited, so we don't use SharePoint Designer very often.

Overall, it's quite stable, but sometimes it requires maintenance.

The scalability is not a problem because this is a desktop application and it works just fine. As long as your SharePoint site is scalable, the application will work just fine.

The technical support from Microsoft is very good. We have never had any issues with them.

From a user's perspective, it was simple. Microsoft is user-friendly and is always simple to use.

The setup time is very quick. I don't remember exactly, but I would say it took maybe even less than five minutes.

We do everything. Sometimes it requires maintenance and when it does, we do it.

SharePoint is included in your Office 365 package, you don't have to buy anything extra. There is no extra license required. Typically, many customers already have the Office 365 license in place so it's just a matter of leveraging Sharepoint Online.

What other advice do I have?

SharePoint Designer is just a tool. As there are a lot of key factors, I would recommend using SharePoint Designer online for internal collaboration platforms. SharePoint is not only a document management system, but it also handles content management systems, workflow automation, process automation, and more.

SharePoint Online is a product that is included in the Microsoft Office 365 package, it is not part of Microsoft Azure. Office 365 and Microsoft 365 is a separate product altogether. People do use SharePoint Designer within the SharePoint 2016 and 2019 on-premise versions, but I see a lot of customers moving to the cloud, so they use SharePoint Online.

I would rate it a nine out of ten.

SharePoint Designer
    June 2022
    610,045 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    RahimKhowaja - PeerSpot reviewer
    Chief Information Technology Officer at BMC Solutions
    It's free, but it could be more user-friendly and have more features
    • "One of the most valuable features is that it's free. If you have SharePoint and you want to do some branding, then the only tool available is SharePoint Designer. Microsoft gives the portal, the content management system, and, on top of that, it gives you Designer. So we don't have a choice, but Designer is good."
    • "SharePoint Designer could be improved by being more user-friendly. I think that they have a new release, but the focus is on Power Automate, not Designer. Designer's interface is somewhat classical, but it should be more user-friendly."

What is our primary use case?

One of our use cases of SharePoint is designing and branding our content management system. When somebody buys an intranet portal, like a content management system, for employees or a document management system for their company, they can buy SharePoint and use it to change the branding. Microsoft gives you default features—out-of-the-box—so if you want any changes regarding your identity, HTML, CSS, colors, or brand guidelines, then SharePoint Designer can help you to complete that task. SharePoint Designer can also be used to clear workflows. This is a tool which helps us brand the SharePoint portal and our flow sites.

In the beginning, SharePoint was deployed on-premises, but now it is deployed on the cloud, so we are always using the latest version.

What needs improvement?

Designer should contain more features. Right now, we are doing the development of web parts on Visual Studio and doing the branding on Designer. If it were possible to merge them both into one tool, it would be easier.

I have been using SharePoint Designer for 13 years.

There is no maintenance team necessary. Users can maintain it by themselves because Designer is a tool which can be deployed on each PC to work on.

In our organization, we have around eight to ten people who are developing on SharePoint Designer. We don't currently have plans to increase usage, but it depends. We are a project delivering company, and I am a project manager, so our SharePoint usage is on a project-based development. If we have a client we need to use SharePoint for, we may increase the usage, but otherwise we won't.

In 13 years, we have raised tickets two or three times. They don't call us, but when we raise tickets, then the issues can be resolved.

We also use Visual Studio from Microsoft to develop the programs for SharePoint. Designer is only for branding and workflows, but you have to use Visual Studio to actually develop the portal components and web parts. Visual Studio should be used with SharePoint.

The installation of Designer is very simple, and it doesn't take more than 30 minutes. You can download and install it yourself.

There is no licensing cost for Designer—it's free.

What other advice do I have?

I rate SharePoint Designer a six out of ten. There were some bugs, but when you are working on SharePoint, you have to recommend SharePoint Designer, for sure.

SharePoint Module Lead at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    Useful collaboration, customizable, and informative update roadmap
    • "I am a developer, and whatever is not possible with the SharePoint default feature, we make custom features available for our clients. Anything which is not possible using all the methods within the solution we can customize."
    • "SharePoint Online should continue to integrate with other solutions."

What is our primary use case?

SharePoint Online is a collaborative tool. For example, if you need your coworkers to collaborate on a particular task or project SharePoint Online can be used to store your information in terms of the SharePoint list. Additionally, you can add your document or physical files there. If you need to build any kind of custom workflows or custom requirements for your business, you have the ability to do it in this solution.

What is most valuable?

SharePoint Online is not only a SharePoint standalone, but they have integrated it with other Microsoft services, such as Microsoft BI, Power Apps, and Power Automate. We can deliver any business solution using other Microsoft service, which is collaborative with SharePoint.

SharePoint have their own roadmaps, with the new features that they're coming out which is informative.

Microsoft has invested in SharePoint heavily in terms of UI, stability, performance. It is a very good solution.

What needs improvement?

SharePoint Online should continue to integrate with other solutions.

I have been using SharePoint Online for approximately 10 years.

The stability of SharePoint Online is good.

The support we have from Microsoft has been good.

I would rate the support from Microsoft a ten out of ten.

SharePoint Online has a subscription-based model for payments and the price is based on user usage.

I would rate the price of SharePoint an eight out of ten.

I didn't get a chance to explore other solutions because when I started my career, it was always SharePoint. If we were not using SharePoint, all the other options seemed to be more costly. For example, integration.

When I compare SharePoint with open source solutions, we don't have difficulties managing the operation because it's subscription-based and everything Microsoft takes care of, such as security.

What other advice do I have?

SharePoint Online has been retired and we now use SharePoint Online.

I strongly recommend this solution. If you have a Microsoft account or Office 365 account, many of the customers don't know that it has a SharePoint within. If they know it, they can manage most of their internal work through it. Having the portal allows the user to manage everything. If they have Office 365 subscription, they should invest in SharePoint because it is available for them free of cost if they have their own subscription to Office 365. However, it is now hidden in the application.

Sharepoint is a good solution and they are working towards more integration with other solutions and tools that can enable developers.

I rate SharePoint Online an eight out of ten.

Advait Chitalia - PeerSpot reviewer
    Co-founder at Atidan
    Document management and search are the most valuable features of this solution
    • "I find the document management and search of SharePoint the most valuable features."
    • "I would like to see SharePoint improve the integration with different systems. I also would like to see more customization."

What is our primary use case?

Our main use case for this solution is to develop custom SharePoint sites. SharePoint is about collaboration to help improve efficiency, collaboration within teams, document management, and search. We have thousands of users in our client organization. We are a Microsoft gold partner.

How has it helped my organization?

SharePoint Designer has made information available centrally 24/7. It brings offline records online. It has made searching easy, without it document search was difficult. Communication between departments has become more effective.

What needs improvement?

We have been using SharePoint Designer for 16 years.

SharePoint is stable.

Scalability has certain limitations depending on the number of users and number of records.

The availability and quality of technical support both need improvement.

Earlier, we used Custom.NET applications however, SharePoint is much better.

The initial setup is straightforward and gets simpler with every new version. The set-up takes less than a day, but the project for full implementation takes anywhere from 4 to 12 weeks.

We used our own consultants to set up SharePoint. You need anywhere from 2 to 5 people and even upwards of 10 depending on the size of the portal to deploy and maintain SharePoint Designer.

Most of the SharePoint implementations are for the cloud which is priced per user per month. There are different plans at different costs that you can choose from.

We reviewed Custom.NET and other PHP based solutions prior to selecting SharePoint.

What other advice do I have?

If you are implementing SharePoint Designer in your organization, I would recommend that you use the best practices given by Microsoft, specifically in implementation.

I would rate SharePoint an 8 out of 10.

Hybrid Cloud

facility manager
    An online platform for retrieving, storing and exchanging documents
    • "Retrieving documents and uploading them is easy."
    • "If they included some training modules, I would give them a ten, because that would make it even more user-friendly."

What is our primary use case?

Within our organization, there are roughly 3,000 people, but very few of them interact with SharePoint Designer. We plan on using this solution in the future.

How has it helped my organization?

It stopped us from having to run around, manually exchanging documents. It's an online system, easy to access, and complete with document storage. Retrieving documents and uploading them is easy.

What is most valuable?

The user interface is good; it's easy to manage.

I have been using SharePoint Designer for approximately one year.

SharePoint Designer is a very stable solution.

We have our own IT team that handles most maintenance related problems. When we have interacted with customer support, they have always helped us.

Before SharePoint Designer was introduced, we used to have a manual documentation system — we had to run from one corner of the building to the other, looking for someone. SharePoint has made things a lot easier.

We did a revamp. We migrated from another version. A team then showed us how to operate it properly and made sure we were very comfortable navigating it. It's very easy to use.

What other advice do I have?

I would highly recommend this solution.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give SharePoint Designer a rating of nine. If they included some training modules, I would give them a ten, because that would make it even more user-friendly.

Private Cloud
    Javeed Khan - PeerSpot reviewer
    Associate Director at NTT DATA
    Beneficial document management, effective support, and integrates well
    • "The most valuable feature of SharePoint Designer is document management."
    • "SharePoint Designer could improve most in analytics and reporting."

What is our primary use case?

We use SharePoint Designer for our intranet knowledge management portal and training portal.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of SharePoint Designer is document management.

What needs improvement?

SharePoint Designer could improve most in analytics and reporting.

In a future release, SharePoint Designer can improve by implementing a headless solution, where we can create pages without headers.

I have been using SharePoint Designer for approximately 10 years.

SharePoint Designer is stable.

The scalability of SharePoint Designer is good.

The support from SharePoint Designer is very good. When we have an issue they responded quickly and look into the situation.

I rate the support from SharePoint Designer a five out of five.

The initial setup of SharePoint Designer is simple. The full implementation of the solution took years because we slowly made changes over time.

I rate the initial setup of SharePoint Designer a four out of five.

We are using an enterprise SharePoint Designer license.

What other advice do I have?

SharePoint Designer is the best solution we have. We don't see any alternative as of now. For intranet and knowledge management purposes this is the best solution. It has great integration with Office products.

I rate SharePoint Designer a ten out of ten.

GBM at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Simple deployment, reliable, and priced well

What needs improvement?

The interface of SharePoint Designer could be improved, such as in SAP.

I am using SharePoint Designer now and have only used it for a short time.

SharePoint Designer is stable.

We have only recently deployed the solution, I am not able to give much information on the scalability.

We have approximately 200 users using this solution in my organization and we plan to increase usage.

I have not needed to use technical support.

We have used another solution previously and we switched because SharePoint Designer requires less maintenance.

SharePoint Designer is easy to deploy and it is one of the most valuable features. The whole process took a couple of days and it is easy to work on.

We used our own team for the implementation of the solution.

We have one person that handles the maintenance of the solution.

We have received a return on investment.

SharePoint Designer is less expensive than other solutions we have used. We purchased Office 365 which SharePoint comes with the package.

What other advice do I have?

I rate SharePoint Designer an eight out of ten.