We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why
NAWAL SAXENA
SAP Project Manager at Saudi Cable Company
Helpful technical support, plenty of features, and secure
  • "The solution is flexible, has a lot of functionality, and has the ability to deliver more security than other comparable solutions."
  • "SAP S4HANA is not suitable for all-size companies. If you have a small company there are better fit solutions for your needs."

What is our primary use case?

SAP S4HANA is used as a complete resource planning solution for our organization.

What is most valuable?

The solution is flexible, has a lot of functionality, and has the ability to deliver more security than other comparable solutions.

What needs improvement?

I have been using SAP S4HANA for approximately five months.

We have found that SAP S4HANA is more reliable and stable than other solutions, such as ECC.

The solution is scalable.

The technical support is very good. We have generated support tickets, and they have provided helpful advice and solutions to our problems in a timely manner.

I have used many other solutions, such as ECC and Business One.

The installation and cloud configuration was straightforward.

We had some issues with the installation of the solution. The implementation partner we were using was in India and they could not travel to where we are in Saudi Arabia because of the Covid-19 pandemic making resolutions difficult. Additionally, the communication was difficult. However, this was not the fault of SAP S4HANA.

We used the S/4HANA implementation team to do the full implementation.

There is a license required for the use of this solution and we are on a monthly subscription. The cost of the solution is expensive compared to other solutions.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others. However, they have to make sure it is the right fit for their environment. If they have a small company that has approximately 200 to 300 users then this solution is not the best for them, SAP Business One would be the better choice for their whole business cycle. S/4HANA is for larger-scale companies with more users.

I rate SAP S4HANA an eight out of ten.

Private Cloud
DiaaHussein
Digital Transformation Director at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Stable, scalable, knowledgeable customer support
  • "SAP S4HANA version 1909 is stable. We have not gone live with 2020 yet."
  • "The solution could improve by making customization easier. The on-premise version is a lot more flexible."

What is our primary use case?

We use SAP S4HANA in a distribution business. We have the main site which purchases all material for management and then it goes through the main warehouses to the distribution sites. Finance controls, sales, and distribution are already there with the treasury added on top of the project.

What needs improvement?

I have been using SAP S4HANA for approximately two years.

SAP S4HANA version 1909 is stable. We have not gone live with 2020 yet.

SAP S4HANA is scalable in terms of infrastructure scaling. The solution does not cover all aspects of the business. For example, there is no final solution from SAP for point of sale. They have no specific point of sales solution, you have to build something to cover this area.

Our project is at a large company with 8,000 employees.

We had an issue with localization, there is some sort of localization for S/4HANA for a specific country. We did not face a lot of trouble with the support. The response was good, but overall it seems the process itself takes too much time. You have to go through specific steps waiting for a reply and then the escalation takes more time. The support could improve their speed.

The SAP cloud itself was not easy to implement any project because it is very hard to do any customization for the business requirements.

SAP S4HANA is expensive and for smaller businesses, it is very difficult for them to have the budget.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to those wanting to implement SAP S4HANA is to make sure they have their blueprint and design. People have specific imaginations but things can turn out differently. Align very well with the business and identify your scope correctly to be sure you are following a solid plan along with the project lifecycle.

I rate SAP S4HANA an eight out of ten.

Private Cloud
Learn what your peers think about SAP S4HANA. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
566,406 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Senior Manager at Mazars India
Good support and analytics capabilities, and it is definitely scalable
  • "From a technology standpoint, the theory and analytics are fascinating."
  • "Every year, when a new version is released, it comes with a very thick booklet of 300 or 400 pages and it is a little difficult to comprehend."

What is our primary use case?

I am a consultant and SAP S4HANA is one of the products that I work with.

What is most valuable?

From a technology standpoint, the theory and analytics are fascinating.

What needs improvement?

When it comes to the delivery of features, I would like it presented in a more user-friendly way. Every year, when a new version is released, it comes with a very thick booklet of 300 or 400 pages and it is a little difficult to comprehend. This is something that should be simplified. A simple comparison between the older and newer version would be very helpful for customers and consultants.

The default UI has been the same for a long time and in my last few projects, I've found that it wasn't fast enough.

I have been working with this product since version 1511 in 2015, about five years ago.

I am comfortable with its stability.

This product is definitely scalable.

I would say that it is for medium-sized companies. For smaller companies, the scale of the project might be too large, so they may not be able to harness the complete power of S4HANA.

The support from SAP is excellent. It is very good, compared to other products.

The SAP Marketplace is a good source of support.

I have hands-on experience with a few other products that are on the market.

Compared to older versions, prior to S4HANA, it is very easy to deploy. Starting from a development environment, I say it would take about three to four months to deploy for a mid-sized customer.

What other advice do I have?

For ERP, I do not recommend anything other than SAP 4/HANA. For other applications such as CRM and planning, I may recommend a different product.

I think that the newest version is great and I think the idea should be to quickly push it to cloud completely.

Senior Media Strategist at a media company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Has great scalability and allows us to get all our processes flowing together
  • "We're able to get all our processes flowing together. We're able to make all of our business processes talk to each other."
  • "It should have more support. Documentation and support for mobile apps can be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for our financials and ERP.

How has it helped my organization?

It has got all our data more scalable, and it made it more workable for us. So, we're able to make things run faster, especially when our developer team was doing data modeling.

What is most valuable?

We're able to get all our processes flowing together. We're able to make all of our business processes talk to each other.

What needs improvement?

It should have more support. Documentation and support for mobile apps can be improved.

I have been using this solution for six months.

So far, it has been good. We had some problems with our customizations, but everything seems to be running fine.

Its scalability is fine. We plan to increase its usage and use it extensively.

All people who are using it are in IT. Some of them are in the finance department.

Their technical support is good. They were pretty knowledgeable.

We're new to that. We didn't use anything.

It was kind of complex because we didn't know the difference between the SAP Business ByDesign and SAP S/4HANA. It wasn't clear. SAP just has too many versions, and it was like, "Oh, give me a break, and tell me what to get."

For its maintenance, we have at least five people. They're in IT with different roles.

We used a consultant. Our experience was good.

We're not sure yet. I think it was six figures a year, over 100,000. It has straight-up licensing fees.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it an eight out of 10 because it has got great scalability. It has worked so far.

Associate director at a consultancy with 1,001-5,000 employees
Modern user interface, simplified operations, but complex installation
  • "I have found the user interface very modern and it has simplified many user jobs, such as the embedded logistics. They have introduced central finance which has been a benefit."
  • "This solution works with the configuration, if the prerequisites are very clear and can be configured it works perfectly. If you need to simulate something, as a predictive tool this kind of simulation is not very accurate and it has limitations. This is something that could improve."

What is our primary use case?

The solution can be used for many things in an organization, such as managing sales, operations, supply chain logistics, master data, and product management.

What is most valuable?

I have found the user interface very modern and it has simplified many user jobs, such as the embedded logistics. They have introduced central finance which has been a benefit.

What needs improvement?

This solution works with the configuration, if the prerequisites are very clear and can be configured it works perfectly. If you need to simulate something, as a predictive tool this kind of simulation is not very accurate and it has limitations. This is something that could improve.

In an upcoming release, the allocation process should be revised and improved.

I have been using this solution for approximately eight years.

The solution is very stable in this new version we have been using.

The solution is easy to scale. I have found this solution is the best fit for medium to large size businesses.

The technical support has been very valuable. They are experts and provide a great service.

The installation is a complex process compared to other solutions. The setup can be even more complex by adding areas of the organization you want to the solution, such as LAN networks, licenses, and infrastructure.

The client decides who does the implementations. Some do it themselves and others use a vendor.

I have found the price of the solution is on the medium to the expensive side of the scale. There is a license for this solution and there are additional maintenance fees.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to those looking for a similar solution.

I rate SAP S4HANA a seven out of ten.

Lead Consultant at a computer software company with 5,001-10,000 employees
MSP
Feature-rich and offers different deployment options, but the customization should be improved
  • "The key modules that I find most valuable are material management (MM), financial accounting and controlling (FICO), and human resources (HR)."
  • "The two things that need to be improved are price and customization."

What is our primary use case?

We are a pre-sales team and I have been working as a consultant for SAP S4HANA.

Most often, we deal with manufacturing CPG customers. We prefer the complete SAP S4HANA Suite, with all of the functionalities, and the use cases are typically everything that is offered from the processes in that suite.

What is most valuable?

The key modules that I find most valuable are material management (MM), financial accounting and controlling (FICO), and human resources (HR). I am not exposed to all of the core features, but these are the ones that we generally prefer and propose.

What needs improvement?

The two things that need to be improved are price and customization. These are two dynamic changes that every customer will want.

I have been working with SAP S4HANA for the past year and a half.

Our customers for this solution are mixed in size. We have small-scale, medium-scale, and large-scale customers. The number of users also varies. It can be hundreds or multiple thousands.

I do not have experience with SAP technical support.

We have enough competency in our company that the initial setup is straightforward and we don't face many issues. There may be some complexity but it depends on the configuration.

The deployment model is a mixture of offerings and this choice is based on customer requirements. Sometimes it is a cloud deployment, whereas others are on-premises, and yet in some cases, it is a hybrid model.

We have an in-house team for deployment.

The price of this product is an issue for some customers.

What other advice do I have?

I highly recommend this product for all SAP customers who want to digitize and have a core business suite of applications.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Vice President, Corporate IT at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
Necessitated us tailoring our processes which has increased efficiency
  • "Responsive, comprehensive and optimized solution."
  • "Lacking in some customizations."

What is our primary use case?

We are in the food business so the solution helps with our business processes as well as the financial aspect - sales, purchasing, manufacturing - all the core business processes across all these modules. I'm the vice president corporate IT and we are customers of SAP.

How has it helped my organization?

I think primarily it helped us work out our out-of-the-box best practices which was a huge benefit. It meant that we tailored our processes in line with those of the standard out- of-the-box solution. And I think overall it has given us much more visibility on our processes, on the data that is produced as a reservable process.

What is most valuable?

I think technically it's a very responsive, comprehensive and optimized solution. It's very fast and the S4 version is much more user friendly on the UI side than the previous versions and it basically provides a better experience. Everything is there and it's up to the user to put it to use.

What needs improvement?

Every business has some unique requirements which can mean customizations are required. What I'd really like to see is the development of an industry specific solution for the food industry, in particular the supply and demand side that's very critical to us, given that there are issues with products that have a shorter shelf life.

I've been using this solution for two years.

What other advice do I have?

My key advice would be to get down your processes first before putting any new system in place. It's important to re-engineer the processes and streamline them before implementing IT solutions, whether it's SAP or any other thing. It's the process side that needs to be dealt with first.

I would rate this solution a nine out of 10.

Technical Lead / Solution Architecture / Software Development - SAP at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Easy-to-use, but could benefit from some theory-based adjustments
  • "The processes have been reduced from almost 10 steps to four or five steps. It's really been simplified."
  • "The theory-side of the solution needs to be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for our manufacturing processes, sales, finance, pretty much everything.

What is most valuable?

They recently restructured the database and changed the table structures, which has made it much easier to manage the processes. The processes have been reduced from almost 10 steps to four or five steps. It's really been simplified.

What needs improvement?

The theory-side of the solution needs to be improved. They need to come up with a simple way to explain to their customers how to properly use it and perform analysis and move on from there.

In the next release, I would like to see more integration scenarios with the cloud, straight out of the box.

I have been using this solution for almost two years.

The stability is good. We noticed some areas, such as health and safety that were not very stable, but the other areas are quite stable and work fine.

The technical support helped us on almost every front.

It depends on what kind of agreement you have with SAP. We have a maximum attention agreement, so it's all good. For a maximum attention agreement, there are some extra charges, but I'm not aware of how much.

The simplicity of the initial setup varies from customer to customer. For us, it was quite complicated because we needed a lot of customization, but in the end, it was ok.

We had a detailed implementation plan that we followed step by step.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of seven.

Product Categories
ERP
Download our free SAP S4HANA Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.