Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

PRTG Network Monitor is #5 ranked solution in best Network Monitoring Tools and Infrastructure Monitoring tools. PeerSpot users give PRTG Network Monitor an average rating of 8.0 out of 10. PRTG Network Monitor is most commonly compared to Zabbix: PRTG Network Monitor vs Zabbix. PRTG Network Monitor is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 54% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 20% of all views.
PRTG Network Monitor Buyer's Guide

Download the PRTG Network Monitor Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is PRTG Network Monitor?

PRTG Network Monitor runs on a Windows machine within your network, collecting various statistics from the machines, software, and devices which you designate. PRTG comes with an easy-to-use web interface with point-and-click configuration. You can easily share data from it with non-technical colleagues and customers, including via live graphs and custom reports. This will let you plan for network expansion, see what applications are using most of your connection, and make sure that no one is hogging the entire network just to torrent videos.

To monitor a large IT environment, it's important to be able to scale PRTG up. Paessler PRTG Enterprise Monitor includes all the proven capabilities of PRTG Network Monitor, which are enhanced by exclusive ITOps Board for a service-oriented, central overview of multiple PRTG servers.

PRTG Network Monitor was previously known as PRTG.

PRTG Network Monitor Customers

Jameson Bank, Sidnix, RungeICT, MedicalAnimal, Truck-lite, GamingGrids, The Covell Group, Forsythn County Schools, NetMass, Musgrove Park Hospital, Lanes Health, Columbia Southern University, Vodafone, Intrust Bank

PRTG Network Monitor Video

PRTG Network Monitor Pricing Advice

What users are saying about PRTG Network Monitor pricing:
  • "PRTG Network Monitor is not that expensive, so I like it cost-wise. There's no additional cost apart from the standard licensing fees. On a scale of one to five, with one being the cheapest and five being the most expensive, I would rate the cost of PRTG Network Monitor a two."
  • "The price of PRTG is reasonable. PRTG's competitors like SolarWinds and ManageEngine charge more for the same functionality."
  • "It's an annual license that is based on the number of endpoints that we're tracking and using."
  • "I'm paying something like €1000 per year for the maintenance. I've got unlimited sensors."
  • "We have unlimited devices and sensors, and it is a bit pricey, but we do have unlimited sensors. With all things considered the price is fine, related to the solution itself. PRTG Network Monitor is good value for money."
  • PRTG Network Monitor Reviews

Rajesh Vishwakarma - PeerSpot reviewer
    Regional Head of IT at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
    Good even for beginners, and cost-wise, it isn't that expensive, but its sensors and web GUI need improvement
    • "There was only one feature I liked about PRTG Network Monitor a lot, and that was bandwidth monitoring, though, in the newer versions of the tool, that feature is now a bit lacking. Pricing for PRTG Network Monitor is also not as expensive. It's a good tool, even for beginners."
    • "A room for improvement in PRTG Network Monitor is its sensors. Its application technology sensor, such as the IAS, .NET, etc., needs some improvement because it doesn't work as expected. For example, the IAS sensor doesn't give immediate information, and the information you get from it isn't of good value. The web GUI of PRTG Network Monitor also needs improvement because errors keep popping up if it's not been updated to the latest version. What I'd like to see in the next release of the tool is end-to-end topology mapping for the business model, and that should be required. There has to be a technical map. Technical mapping and topological creation are missing in PRTG Network Monitor, so I would like to see those in the future."

What is our primary use case?

Our use case for PRTG Network Monitor was end-to-end monitoring, but we couldn't achieve it, particularly the monitoring from the perspective of looking at the complete dashboard of the entire infrastructure, though it's a server virtualization network. For example, monitoring any device, even a swiping machine or a camera, or any device which comes and adopts an IP address should be monitored using PRTG Network Monitor, so that was our use case in the beginning.

Eventually, we then wanted the tool to also monitor our applications, so our current use case for PRTG Network Monitor is to monitor applications residing on our infrastructure, apart from devices that use or adopt IP addresses.

What is most valuable?

There was only one feature I liked about PRTG Network Monitor a lot, and that was bandwidth monitoring, though, in the newer versions of the tool, that feature is now a bit lacking.

Pricing for PRTG Network Monitor is also not as expensive.

It's a good tool, even for beginners.

What needs improvement?

A room for improvement in PRTG Network Monitor is its sensors. Its application technology sensor, such as the IAS, .NET, etc., needs some improvement because it doesn't work as expected. For example, the IAS sensor doesn't give immediate information, and the information you get from it isn't of good value.

The web GUI of PRTG Network Monitor also needs improvement because errors keep popping up if it's not been updated to the latest version.

What I'd like to see in the next release of the tool is end-to-end topology mapping for the business model, and that should be required. There has to be a technical map. Technical mapping and topological creation are missing in PRTG Network Monitor, so I would like to see those in the future.

I've been using PRTG Network Monitor effectively for five years now, though I also used it in 2010, but only for very basic monitoring. Nowadays, I'm using the tool more extensively and doing a lot of monitoring on it.

PRTG Network Monitor
    September 2022
    Learn what your peers think about PRTG Network Monitor. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2022.
    635,987 professionals have used our research since 2012.

In terms of the stability of PRTG Network Monitor, I would rate it a three out of five because this works on the web browser, but it requires too many updates. You have to update it frequently. For example, as soon as it's not running on the latest version, it starts giving you errors on the browsers, so it has a big room for improvement in terms of its web GUI.

PRTG Network Monitor is a scalable tool, and I'm rating it three out of five in terms of scalability.

We were in discussion with the PRTG Network Monitor technical support team quite intensively, but they weren't able to answer all our questions. We find them okay and up to the mark because they know what the tool can do and cannot do, so they were very, very precise, so at least their knowledge about their product was good.

We used a different solution before using PRTG Network Monitor, but that wasn't an apple-to-apple comparison. For example, we used an IP monitor from SolarWinds, but that was just a Ping or ICMP utility.

The initial setup for PRTG Network Monitor was not that complex, but you need to understand how it works, so it's not very difficult, yet it's not very easy. The setup for the tool is on the moderate side. On a scale of one to five, I'd give the setup a rating of three because if you'd like to effectively use PRTG Network Monitor, you need to set it up correctly.

It took almost a week to set the tool up correctly, but the actual installation was done in one day, with the bare minimum configuration and discoveries because it has a good discovery feature.

We deployed PRTG Network Monitor through our in-house team.

I've already seen ROI from PRTG Network Monitor.

PRTG Network Monitor is not that expensive, so I like it cost-wise. There's no additional cost apart from the standard licensing fees. On a scale of one to five, with one being the cheapest and five being the most expensive, I would rate the cost of PRTG Network Monitor a two.

What other advice do I have?

I'm using the latest version of PRTG Network Monitor because my company keeps updating the tool.

In my company, teams in Support and IT use PRTG Network Monitor and quite effectively look at the dashboard very often, so around one hundred people use it. Deployment was done in multiple places so seven to eight people in different regions took care of the deployment separately. At the moment, my company has no plans of increasing the usage of PRTG Network Monitor.

My advice to others looking into implementing PRTG Network Monitor is that if you're looking from a holistic infrastructure deployment and monitoring perspective, it's a good tool to use and to start with. PRTG Network Monitor is a good tool for beginners, so if you're a beginner, use it. If you're not a beginner, then you would need a tool with very exclusive end-to-end features.

I'm rating PRTG Network Monitor six out of ten.

My company is a customer of PRTG Network Monitor and has no partnership with the vendor.

Rajesh Vishwakarma - PeerSpot reviewer
    Regional Head of IT at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
    Overall great tool, attractive features, uncomplicated install but performance needs improvement
    • "The bandwidth monitoring is a very attractive feature, it can tell you the bandwidth utilization while it is attempting to connect to the host for feedback."
    • "The solution has to evolve as an end-to-end monitoring solution. It has to do better at understanding the application at the deepest level."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is for network monitoring.

What is most valuable?

Overall it is a very good tool to use.

It has the capability to discover a lot of information over the networks automatically.

What needs improvement?

Network monitoring is not the strongest area of the solution which should be improved. It is not the best tool of the application but if someone has to start from the beginning and reach a moderate level of abilities for monitoring, then PRTG still serves that purpose. For experts, it is not the application monitoring tool they would choose. This tool is more suited for beginners and intermediate users.

The solution has to evolve as an end-to-end monitoring solution. It has to do better at understanding the application at the deepest level.

The performance of the monitoring is outdated and when they have upgraded the tools in the past, it slows down the performance.

Auto Discover features could improve by allowing people the choice to manipulate the discovery to design and customize it to create a technical map of the services dependent on each of them.

They should also add service monitoring. They currently have a Windows service, but they do not have monitoring as a separate service. If I would like to specifically monitor the service within Windows, I would have no choice but to use theirs.

I have been using the solution for approximately ten years.

It is a stable solution. I did not see any challenges. However, the performance is not that good. When asked about stability, I will split it into two parts. When I go into the devices and I click on the devices, I should see all the devices immediately, I do not, which is a performance issue. When I click on one of the devices in the list of All Devices section, it should show me the graph and the monitoring statistics site. This is where it has failed many times, it does not show it. We complained about this to PRTG many times. I currently find the solution to be 80% stable.

The scalability should come deep within the roots of the solution. The root of PRTG is having a lot of sensors inside because they work on monitoring sensors. The more sensors you have, the more you can scale. The good thing about the solution is that you can make your own sensors. This means it is scalable.

I did not have a good experience with customer service. They were not able to give answers in a timely manner. They were able to give some less complex answers but when the questions become difficult, they find it very difficult to manage a solution. For example, what do bandwidth monitoring and bandwidth sensor mean? I think they should be able to explain this to me better, they could not explain it well. Their bandwidth sensors do not really work as a bandwidth sensor.

I think they might have some missing knowledge or they have unqualified employees sitting down and reading the documents from their screen to the customers, like myself. I find that technical support could have been much better, they have been a company for many years. They need to continue to support their customers in a much better way and should hire experts as other organizations do. When contacting support it is handled by the very first level of agents, then it is escalation up for an answer. I did not like this about the support, it takes time. I find myself left trying to solve the problem myself.

The technical support requires a lot of improvements, they offer a lot of information to be downloaded and used by the customer. I think it has to be supported much better to allow customers the ability to easily deploy it and use it effectively.

I did not have any challenges attempting to install the solution. It was quite straightforward, you do not need any training to install it. The experience was good.

The deployment is the longest part of the setup. I would say the installation did not take much time but the complete utilization of the software took three or four hours. I had to configure it properly, discover the sensor, support the sensor, utilize it to the best possible way, make a group, and put in the site. All of these processes take time. If somebody has experience in PRTG, I think it can be done in half day.

I have evaluated SolarWinds and it is one of the easiest for beginners to start working with network monitoring.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others. However, if they are a beginner, there are other products out there that might be more appropriate, like SolarWinds.

I rate PRTG Network Monitor a seven out of ten.

PRTG Network Monitor
    September 2022
    635,987 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    CEO at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
    Great detection and monitoring, stable and scalable
    • "It is great for service level agreements and can comply fully with internet monitoring or any interface."
    • "The technical support service should be improved."

What is our primary use case?

It is great for service level agreements and can comply fully with internet monitoring or any interface such as hardware or network interfaces and database instance. Irrespective of the MID, it can detect and monitor it. It is a vast platform and can make the cluster for the DC and DR. If one is down, it'll last shorter than the second one.

What is most valuable?

We prefer to use the PRTG because it has a low price. We provide solutions to the customer, and customers always prefer to pay less for the best output and quality. In addition, the solution allows customers to monitor anything within their network. For example, they can monitor their servers, application levels and virtualization instances.

What needs improvement?

The technical support service should be improved and is not as good as Cisco. However, PRTG support is better than before as they now have remote and TeamViewer support. Before, it was only based on mail communications and forum discussions. Irrespective of this improvement, the technical support response time is still prolonged, and the reservation can be better. I rate the response times a six out of ten. We've had very good experiences with Check Point, Juniper, and Cisco technical support.

Regarding additional features, currently, the default database has some limitations. There is a specific capacity that it can trigger. So, if they can make the enterprise-grade DV integrated, then a separate part will be needed to integrate. We want to customize every six months and do not need data older than six months.

It is the best solution. Personally, in my 20 years of experience working with monitoring systems, this is the best. Their software is very light and fast. Everything is great except the technical support response time. If they improve this, I'm sure it will be a top-class product competitor.

We have been using this solution since 2006. The price is user-friendly, and the monitoring system is sound. The solution has a clear advantage as it can monitor per second. We use the enterprise paid version.

It is a stable solution. The performance is excellent, and the reporting system is good. We can customize, and if we want to detect a particular time in demand or an outage for a service provider, we can easily identify it.

It is straightforward to scale, similar to SolarWinds.

The setup is very easy, and for someone with no experience, which a few clicks, they can figure it out. However, if you want to integrate at a wide level, it will require some experience. I rate the setup a ten out of ten.

The deployment was short and took just about two to three minutes.

We provide maintenance services to customers, and this solution is suitable for larger companies. Most of the companies we work with are banks and government organizations, and if we include the interfaces, we are about 4000. It is also suitable for smaller companies, which can easily purchase the solution with minimal cost.

Regarding ROI, we can easily use and afford the licensing costs for a small office of about 100 to 200 users. This is impossible from the NPM, as they have the minimum interface values they must process.

PRTG Network Monitor is a very affordable solution compared to other solutions. Other solutions cost nearly double or triple the cost. Not only is the pricing reasonable, but the quality is also.

The licensing cost depends on the number of interfaces. The details for the enterprise are published on their website, and because we partner with them, we receive a 15% discount. They do not customize their products for specific customers. Other solutions like SolarWinds and Cisco do not provide product customization support, but PRTG Network Monitor includes documentation for customization to the particular interface. For example, we wanted to monitor 300 SNMP nationwide and try to integrate them into the online UPS. It was very tough because no MIB value was published on their website. We had to request it, and they generated the script and made the MIB value, allowing us to initiate.

What other advice do I have?

I rate this solution a nine out of ten. Regarding advice, comparing WhatsUp Gold and PRTG and SolarWinds NPM, I would always recommend PRTG. They integrate a lot of features. Every month, we get the latest updates and better features within the support service and maintenance contract. The updates are free and included in the cost.

NPM is aware of the five-second values compared to other solutions, and PRTG has the first-second values, so it is very high. Therefore, for any incident within five seconds, PRTG can detect it. PRTG is the par, and it stands with the interface-based licensing category. But NPM's licensing category is different. It is the business policy of the individual which doesn't make sense.

Shankar HN - PeerSpot reviewer
    IT strategist at Convergent Wireless Communications
    You can create a template for a device, then apply it to hundreds of similar devices
    • "PRTG is simple to manage. First, you can create a template for a device, then apply it to hundreds of similar devices. That's a great advantage."
    • "There's always room for improvement. The high availability feature is good, but it's an area that PRTG could marginally improve. For example, in PRTG, both servers have a different IP, but it would make things a lot easier if they were bound by a single IP."

What is our primary use case?

It's a globally distributed network. We have multiple data centers or IT setups, and PRTG is deployed at the local data centers. Some of the applications are in the cloud, and PRTG can also monitor those.

What is most valuable?

PRTG is simple to manage. First, you can create a template for a device, then apply it to hundreds of similar devices. That's a great advantage. Secondly, I can use the 80-20 functional rule for any devices I need to monitor.

For infrastructure monitoring, 80 percent of parameters are monitored every minute or so. I can define all of them at the highest level, and those definitions are inherited at the lowest level. Then you need to customize the setup for the remaining 20 percent. You can deploy them in various groups and do a group-level setup, which will again percolate down to devices.

The third thing is the concept of tags. PRTG assigns tags to devices and also the parameters you monitor. For example, if you choose to deploy a bandwidth sensor, PRTG automatically tags it with that parameter while giving you the freedom to apply your own tag.

Let's say my organization has three or even four ISPs. If I'm globally distributed, the ISPs could be different. Now I can monitor all the bandwidth across ISPs based on the tag, or I can see the bandwidth of each ISP individually. I know my uptime and recovery in case of failure. I can also group by choosing a specific ISP tag and getting a report. I now know which of my ISPs is a better performer, which helps me improve the service and decide who to go with.

PRTG is constantly evolving. You have between eight to 12 releases every year, including enhancements to functionality and performance as well as security and bug fixes, so it stays current with our business requirements. It's a well-rounded product.

What needs improvement?

There's always room for improvement. The high availability feature is good, but it's an area that PRTG could marginally improve. For example, in PRTG, both servers have a different IP, but it would make things a lot easier if they were bound by a single IP.  I'm not necessarily trying to say PRTG should imitate other products.

I'm saying it should be like a typical HA solution should be. It is a fail-safe feature, and the HA component should act like one. In PRTG, it is in an active-active mode, not active-passive. Now, the customers don't need to know the mechanism behind the high availability. They just need to know how many servers are required for deployment. If there is a cluster with a single IP address, it's much easier from the customer's point of view.

We've been working on various versions of PRTG since 2003. While we are using PRTG, we are also looking at various alternatives, but we haven't seen a reason to switch so far.

PRTG itself is a highly reliable product because of large installed base.

Overall, PRTG is easy to install and understand. We provide frontline support for our customers, but our more competent customers don't come back to us for any support at all. If they don't have the skills, they can install and do the basic deployment, but they require hand-holding and coaching for some things. Still, I think it's a straightforward product. Once a user gets started with the product, they don't need hand-holding for basic functions.

The price of PRTG is reasonable. PRTG's competitors like SolarWinds and ManageEngine charge more for the same functionality. They are much more expensive at licensing level. What's more, PRTG comes as one bundle. For example, the database is part of the PRTG release, so Paessler takes total responsibility for all components they deliver. With other products, you need a separate database engine and databases, and these NMS companies don't take responsibility. When they put out new releases, what if it doesn't work with the previous release of a database? Things become a little tricky. You have to deal with two or more entities for NMS but only one with PRTG.

What other advice do I have?

I rate PRTG Network Monitor 9.5 out of 10. If you're planning to implement PRTG, my advice is to first create a master plan. Set a goal for monitoring. Decide what you want to monitor and why. You need to get ready by organizing network management at the technical and policy level. If you start with a clear understanding of your goals and your environment, PRTG will be a cakewalk.

Senior System Engineer at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
    An intuitive interface with good alerting, and it groups devices to eliminate redundant notifications
    • "It is easy when it comes to dependencies of devices, so if your router goes down, the three or four switches behind it will automatically be paused so that you don't get multiple alerts."
    • "I would like to see them take their graphing tools and convert them into a collector so that we can point telemetry to them"

What is our primary use case?

We are primarily using this product for alerting. We receive notifications for events like the interface going up or down and remote access, as well as information such as the interface volume.

We're using the basics of it to monitor our switches and routers and primarily just the networking equipment for up-down status.

What is most valuable?

This solution makes it easy to group devices. It is easy when it comes to dependencies of devices, so if your router goes down, the three or four switches behind it will automatically be paused so that you don't get multiple alerts.

The maneuverability within it is fairly intuitive, especially once you get used to it.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see them take their graphing tools and convert them into a collector so that we can point telemetry to them. This is a general comment about all of the network monitoring equipment and I think that it would make the product more valuable in the long run. As it is now, you have to point telemetry at Kibana or another open-source solution and then graph out of that. I don't see the point of that, given that I've got SolarWinds and the choice of other network monitoring software. However, none of them allow you to use it as a collector for telemetry, so the stream is part of the switch.

I posed this question to PRTG and they were unresponsive, so it seems like not enough customers are complaining about it or would be potentially using it. But that's where I think in the long term, it would be of benefit. Licensing becomes an issue, and I understand that, but I think that if they could allow a collector of telemetry and re-displaying that graphically, it would be the next best thing.

If you don't have something that is doing the SNMP manipulation then it is a bit clunky, although they have good documentation on it. You can add as many SNMP MIBs as you want to, and it's just a matter of processing them into their format.

We have been using the PRTG Network Monitor for between three and four years.

This is a fairly stable product and we don't have to do a lot of maintenance. They do come out with patches and we're applying them. We do have to occasionally reboot it, although I'm thinking it's not nearly as buggy as SolarWinds. In this version of PRTG, I don't have any issues that I'm aware of.

Scalability is not bad and you can add extra to it. We don't have a scaling issue right now but from what I can tell, it appears that it can scale well.

We have used SolarWinds products and currently use them for backup. We have problems with stability and we fix them by rebooting the device. PRTG seems to be more stable, in general.

One of my senior engineers performed the initial setup. I am doing the maintenance on it along with my engineer. Applying patches if required is not something that we've had an issue with.

What other advice do I have?

We have created several maps for this product, and there is at least one map that people specifically use. It is put up on our wall for the helpdesk, and it has all of the switches and routers in a pie so that you can see what's down and what's up. It is a nice red, green, and blue color coordination. This is displayed along with the utilization of firewalls and our egress points, and some other critical points in the network for the service desk to look at. If they get several calls from a site and they can look up at the map and see that there is a bunch of red, possibly recognizing a network issue, then it is helpful.

Head of Customer Service - Advanced Technologies at a logistics company with 501-1,000 employees
    Very stable with great alerts and an easy setup
    • "The initial setup is very simple."
    • "I know we're going to move to Docker applications and I understand that PRTG does some monitoring regarding this. I do not know if it is complete. If it's not yet complete, it's something they should consider improving."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for applicative monitoring, or network and applicative monitoring for some customers so that they can make sure that all equipment is up, and sometimes we use it to look for some more accurate sensors.

What is most valuable?

Ergonomy is very useful to us. It was really easy to use. It's not really a feature, however, ergonomy and the way I could very simply makeup, let's say, basic monitoring, and then go much deeper when there is a need is helpful.

The alerts are very helpful to have access to.

The possibility to make maps is very valuable.

The initial setup is very simple.

So far, we've found the solution to be quite stable.

What needs improvement?

I don't really have opinions on what types of features should be added. I haven't seen anything really lacking.

The possibility to export the part of the sensor we made would be helpful. For instance, if you're doing monitoring for customers and we want to share this with them or bring them an on-premises tool as well for them, you can't export just one part. You have got to rebuild everything. Just to remake it on another premise, you've got to rebuild it from scratch.

I've been using the solution for three years at this point.

The stability is quite good. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. the performance is reliable.

There are about 20 users handling this product.

We haven't really attempted to scale it in any way. Therefore, I can't speak to how easy or difficult the solution would be to expand.

We've reached out to technical support in the past. We've been quite satisfied with the level of service we receive. We've found them to be very helpful and responsive when we have queries.

We are looking to take on other products. We are expanding, we are trying to share the two with other departments. As it often happens, the other departments say, "Well, why did you choose this and not something else?" And not
    this or that?" Currently, we're looking into potential replacements.

The initial setup is very simple and straightforward. It's not a complex process. A company shouldn't have too much trouble with the implementation process.

I can't say how long the deployment took. I can't recall the exact amount of time.

For maintenance, we update the solution regularly. That's handled internally by our team.

While the setup was handled internally, for the sensors, sometimes we had to reach out to the help desk for assistance. However, we did not use an integrator or consultant for the process.

I'm not an expert on pricing, however, I would describe the pricing as pretty cheap. It's not overly expensive.

Three years ago when we took PRTG, we had a trainee make a small inquiry and we concluded that regarding the needs we have today, PRTG was the best solution. We concluded at the time that it would be much easier to use. The technical gap between PRTG and the other solutions would not be relevant to how we planned to use it.

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer and end-user. We don't have a business relationship with PRTG.

We're currently using the latest version of the solution.

Im not a network specialist, bu5 I would recommend PRTG. We've been extremely satisfied with its capabilities overall. I would rate it at a nine out of ten.

System & Network Lead at Beachcombers Vacations
    Customizable, user-friendly, and helpful documentation
    • "The most valuable features of PRTG Network Monitor are the threshold notification when certain traffic increases and goes beyond the defined threshold. The up and down status email notifications and other notifications are useful. Additionally, it is user-friendly, and customizable, and there are many features available."
    • "When using PRTG Network Monitor it is beneficial if you have prior experience with it, the user interface could improve."

What is our primary use case?

We are working with a web version of PRTG Network Monitor.

I use PRTG Network Monitor for the monitoring of all my switches and backbone infrastructure in my hotels. This includes my remote sites and for the monitoring and notification of our business lines in our hotels and traffic monitoring.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of PRTG Network Monitor are the threshold notification when certain traffic increases and goes beyond the defined threshold. The up and down status email notifications and other notifications are useful. Additionally, it is user-friendly, and customizable, and there are many features available.

What needs improvement?

When using PRTG Network Monitor it is beneficial if you have prior experience with it, the user interface could improve.

I have been using PRTG Network Monitor for approximately six years.

The stability of PRTG Network Monitor is good.

PRTG Network Monitor is scalable and easy to scale.

We have a lot of viewers using PRTG Network Monitor but we only have approximately four administrators using it.

I have not contacted technical support. We did at some point have technical issues but the online technical documentation is rich, and we never had to call for support.

I have not used any other solution other than PRTG Network Monitor.

The initial setup of PRTG Network Monitor is straightforward. The setup is very dynamic and took us approximately one month to have some data, and devices in it. We referred to a lot of documentation that was very helpful.

We were not very fluent in the software.

I rate the initial setup of PRTG Network Monitor approximately three out of five.

The deployment of the PRTG Network Monitor was done in-house.

There is not a lot of maintenance. We do regular updates and we do add quite a lot of devices on a regular basis.

We have received a return on investment using PRTG Network Monitor. We're able to do proactive support to tackle an issue before it collapses. There is a return on investment, but it's something quite hard to explain to non-IT personnel.

We have unlimited devices and sensors, and it is a bit pricey, but we do have unlimited sensors. With all things considered the price is fine, related to the solution itself. PRTG Network Monitor is good value for money.

I rate the price of PRTG Network Monitor a four out of five.

A price decrease would be welcomed by the financial and accounts departments.

We did not evaluate other options.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend PRTG Network Monitor to others and the main reason would be to have visibility of the traffic from all the lines. For example, the visibility on the status of devices, up or down, threshold configuring, and notification of capacity being overused on the line before they collapse. We are able to take action with the suppliers and with service providers before the service gets interrupted.

I rate PRTG Network Monitor an eight out of ten.

Dennis Berrocal - PeerSpot reviewer
    Cloud support engineer at grupo cma
    Simple to set up, easy to configure, and offers good stability
    • "The installation is not that complex."
    • "The database needs improvement."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as a monitoring tool. We use it mostly for looking at changes in the resources' behavior. Pretty much it's the use we have primarily. The second one is to provide a report of the total consumption of the resources that we use. We pretty much have to monitor systems.

What is most valuable?

We haven't played with many options. I know it offers a lot of different plugins for certain solutions, such as a VPN monitor and also website monitor. We haven't configured those as we are under the management direction, and if they don't allow it, pretty much we use the options that we have and the plan for the department.

The simplicity of the software is great.

The configuration is not hard to handle.

The installation is not that complex.

The best part of the tool is the simplicity of the tool itself.

The product can scale well.

What needs improvement?

The database needs improvement. They use plain text for the data. That's probably not a concern for them, however, sometimes we need to enhance some of the reports and we cannot do that. If they move to a transactional database, it will be better for users to get access to different kinds of reports. Right now, it's pretty straightforward in terms of what you can do, and you cannot apply customization or get specific data.

They have something called maps where you can configure or set up a view for the different devices. They have different options than the ones that we have, such as a pie chart option, and likely offer different kinds of graphs. It would be nice to show you the real-time status using these graphs.

We've been using the solution for about three years at this point.

The stability is great. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. The performance is good.

The scalability of the product is quite good.

I contacted technical support in the past. The few times I got a pretty straightforward answer, although the service was probably not the fastest. It was by email, which can be less immediate than a phone call. In general, however, it was good.

We're also using OneView for HPE BladeSystem for monitoring.

The product was easy to implement. The simplicity of the tool is the key to successful sales on this monitoring solution. All the options are straightforward for the users as well. It's not that complex to implement.

To fully deploy the solution into our environment took a couple of days.

What other advice do I have?

We're using the latest version of the solution. We updated the version less than a month ago.

I'd advise potential new users, if they are looking for an easy tool to deploy and manage, it's the way to go. If they are looking for complex reports, I will say stay away from this product.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten.

Download our free PRTG Network Monitor Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: September 2022