Proxmox VE OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Proxmox VE is the #2 ranked solution in best Server Virtualization Software. PeerSpot users give Proxmox VE an average rating of 8.6 out of 10. Proxmox VE is most commonly compared to Hyper-V: Proxmox VE vs Hyper-V. Proxmox VE is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 54% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 27% of all views.
Proxmox VE Buyer's Guide

Download the Proxmox VE Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is Proxmox VE?

Proxmox VE is a complete virtualization management solution for servers. It is a powerful open-source platform and supports two virtualization technologies - KVM (Kernel-based Virtual Machine) for virtual machines and LXC for containers. Proxmox VE has a central user interface that allows you to manage not only VMs and containers, but also storage resources, network configuration, and high availability for clusters. It is enterprise-ready and is valued for its scalability and maximum flexibility, enabling you to virtualize very demanding workloads. Proxmox VE makes it possible for you to easily install, manage, and monitor hyper-converged (HCI) data centers.

Proxmox VE Key Features

The Proxmox VE platform has many powerful features, including:

pen-source software, high-available clusters, command line, fencing, a web-based management interface, flexible storage options, REST API, live/online migration, storage replication stack, software defined storage, virtualized networking, backup and restore, two-factor authentication, role-based administration, and VM templates and clones.

Proxmox VE Benefits

Some of the biggest benefits of Proxmox VE are:

• Central management: To manage all tasks of your virtual data center, you can use the central, web-based management interface.

• Unique multi-master design: Proxmox VE allows you to carry out maintenance tasks cluster wide, from any node.

• Minimize downtime: With the integrated live/online migration feature, you can move running virtual machines from one Proxmox VE cluster node to another, without any downtime or noticeable effect from the end-user side.

• Granular access: Using Proxmox VE’s role-based permission management system helps you define granular access to all objects.

• Multiple authentication sources: Proxmox VE supports multiple authentication sources, including Linux PAM, an integrated Proxmox VE authentication server, LDAP, Microsoft Active Directory, and OpenID Connect.

• Several storage options: The Proxmox VE storage model is very flexible and the web interface allows you to add multiple storage types (LVM Group, iSCSI target, NFS Share, SMB/CIFS, Ceph RBD, Direct to iSCSI LUN, GlusterFS, CephFS).

• Collaboration with Ceph: Proxmox VE fully integrates Ceph, giving you the ability to run and manage Ceph storage directly from any of your cluster nodes.

• Scheduled backups: With Proxmox VE, backups can be scheduled so that they automatically run on specific days and times, for selectable nodes and guest systems.

• IT infrastructure protection: Proxmox VE has a built-in firewall that works to protect your IT infrastructure. The firewall is completely customizable, allowing complex configurations via the GUI or CLI.

Reviews From Real Users

Here is some feedback from some of our users who are currently using the solution:

A PeerSpot user who is a director at a tech services company says, “The most valuable features of Proxmox VE are the ease of containerization. Overall the solution is generic, feature-rich, and has compatibility.”

Another PeerSpot user who is a head of IT operations at a tech services company mentions that "In addition to the virtualization, the firewall and the routing functions that it provides are valuable."

Deepen D., director and CTO at TechnoInfotech, expresses that "The feature that I have found most valuable is that its storage container, LVM, and everything else work out of the box."

Proxmox VE Customers

Municipality of Trento, SwitchMIA, inDenova, Valmeita City Council, Alpha IT AS, Grupo Inversor Veracruzano S.A.P.I. de C.V. (GRIVER), Laut und Schoen, IT-Services - Hamburg e.K., KMI Learning, Dynacom Tankers Management Ltd., Serwise AG

Proxmox VE Video

Archived Proxmox VE Reviews (more than two years old)

DEEPEN DHULLA - PeerSpot reviewer
Director & CTO at TechnoInfotech
Out-of-the-box, is easy to learn compared to other vendors, and is easy to deploy
  • "The feature that I have found most valuable is that its storage container, LVM, and everything else work out of the box."
  • "It could have more security updates such as when a new threat is coming into market."

What is our primary use case?

We use the open-source version of Proxmox for automation and other uses, including LXC containers. We use it for my enterprise applications and to offer our hosted cloud-services.

How has it helped my organization?

Proxmox with Ceph Storage as HCI has given really peace of mind to Management & IT for regular hardware maintenance, with near to zero downtime or no downtime for most of VM & LXC container keeping in mind service running round-the-clock for customer.

What is most valuable?

The feature that I have found most valuable is that its storage ZFS & Ceph, container based on LXC and everything else works out of the box. Additionally, it is a really stable, reliable, and scalable solution.

They have a good road map already in place, so I don't think there are any immediate challenges.

What needs improvement?

I don't have any real challenges about improvement here. (As most IT required features are included and they do have roadmap). Plus API & Command tool is lot helpful.

I personally keep exploring other players and backup/Restore/DR software.

And believe more advance features of backup/restore & DR Data Sync for Ceph  on GUI fronted would be added benefits for users coming from other platform.

On Security/Firewall/Software-Defined-Switch with more advance feature on webGUI would be also more helpful too.

Proxmox VE
November 2022
Learn what your peers think about Proxmox VE. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2022.
657,397 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I have been using Proxmox VE for more than six years.

Proxmox VE is an enterprise solution, it is used daily. Its regular maintenance is normal, the way you would maintain any normal infrastructure. There is nothing special or complex with it. We have a team of five people who maintain it, but there aren't any complex challenges.

My company is very small but I have more than 10,000 users accessing on ProxmoxVE Cluster. We provide the solution to other customers.

The thing about this solution is that is so stable I hardly need any technical support.

We used Raw Linux Virt-manger for per Server management for VM & LXC before, without any central management.

Everything has a learning curve, steps to watch, understand and explore. But with Proxmox there are hardly any challenges. I don't think the deployment took more than an hour.

Its was inhouse.

License & Support-subscription & running maintenance cost is bear minimum compare to other closed source solutions. We were able to use our other existing commodity server part of this cluster.

Recently, I have been a Proxmox reseller. I wanted to promote it in India because there is no reseller here. We are trying to promote Proxmox here because being open source it's not popular worldwide, although we have been using it in production for the last more than five or six years. We have been exploring Proxmox for small applications for more than seven, eight years.

Tried Xen, but was not comfortable.

What other advice do I have?

With Proxmox VE you get everything in one box, including the ZFS & Ceph storage & LXC container technology.

Even the support subscription is really good.

It's a wonderful open-source solution. It's out-of-the-box and it is easy to learn compared to other vendors. It is easy to deploy and maintain and you hardly have any trouble or challenges from the software.

It provides peace of mind for management.

On a scale from one to ten, I would rate Proxmox VE a nine.

Hybrid Cloud

Other

I recommend Proxmox is an excellent virtualization solution for large and small companies.

It offers similar benefits to virtualization products like VMware vSphere, Windows Hyper-V, Citrix XenServer, it is up to you, where you are going.

PROXMOX free at no cost, you can install it on any number of physical Servers, with no limit on the use of Processors and Sockets, Communication Bridges, or integration of NAS or SAN either through Fiber Channel, iSCSI Over Ethernet or NFS.

You should only have good server resources and you must virtualize.

I am at your service and attentive to continue.

IT Manager at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
Switched from Citrix XEN and EMC VMWare: No downtime when node needs service but web interface could be simplified

What is our primary use case?

It is implemented in several Private Cloud Data Centers, from 5 to 16 nodes, from 256 GB RAM to 1 TB RAM, all using Supermicro Systems, running SQL servers, Application Servers ( SAP, Prothevs and some tailored Apps developed in house ) VDI and Files Repositories . all smooth and trouble free .

How has it helped my organization?

With live migration, there is no downtime when any node needs service or upgrades. Plus, when I need more memory, I just allocate it; more disk space? same. It is possible to administer almost anything remotely, now it takes months till a customer needs a weekend visit to service something, before Proxmox, it used to happens once a month!

What is most valuable?

Live migration :

Is simplifies the daily work, and reduces the downtime to nearly 0 .

Clonning and Snapshots :

Verry useful for development testing and backup .

Histogram about i/o, memory, CPU and network usage :

Helps to find the issue when some VM are running in some kind of bottleneck .

What needs improvement?

Mostly simplify web interface, simple things like the use of right mouse button to change VM attributes, make it more intuitive, but it is just cosmetic improvements, the core functions are all there.

Version 6.x improved the support for Containers to the PRO level .

re than 10 years, since version 1.6 all the way to version 6.2

Never had any issue with stability, even in the very earliest stages of development...

Not for now, the 16 nodes per cluster limit have been removed in the 5.x release !

Customer Service: OK, in fact the little we've used it, the site documentation was really good.Technical Support: Same as above.

Yes, Citrix XEN Server and EMC VMWare Server. I left Citrix for security, there are too many "black box" in the binaries that cannot be audited. In the VMWare case, for licenses politics, it uses a "per socket" schema that punishes high density servers with 2 or 4 sockets .

Is is the tool of choice used in the entire Facebook infra-structure, so it must be "at least" good enough .

The first test was a little complex, in the time of the 1.4 version, but since the 2.0 version it is extremely simple, takes less then an hour to deploy a node and connect it to an existing cluster.

The 6.x release made things even easier, most maintenance tasks are now in the web interface

I am an IT consultant, and I do everything myself (with my team, we are 4 people!)

Outstanding, worth every single cent spent on it!

The deployment itself cost nothing, it is Opensource software! The monthly subscription costs 17 euros per node, and it covers anything we needed so far...There are more options, but it is more then our customers needed until now .

Several, From Red Hat to Ubuntu, and everything I can find with a Google search, I spent 6 months with these research and tests!

The Facebook contract came well after this tests .

What other advice do I have?

Do it! The simplicity will surprise you!

Private Cloud
Fábio Rabelo - PeerSpot reviewer
Fábio RabeloIT Manager at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees

The Version 3.4 solved the Storage limitation, implemented full ipV6 support, and systemwide firewall deployment .
The vSwitch comes with 4.0 ( in 09/16/2015 in RC state ) .
4.0 version will make several UI simplifications, plus a new HA implementation that do not require any special hardware fuction ...

Proxmox VE
November 2022
657,397 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Edgard Ribeiro - PeerSpot reviewer
Support Analyst at EDXINFO
Great two-factor authentication with a good interface and backup
  • "The backup service, which was released recently, and that we are already using, is wonderful."
  • "We have only command lines for a management application to remove sites. The solution needs a proper GUI."

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution to host virtual machines, such as: SQL Server Database, Active directory domain services, web services, general cloud applications, and some virtual machines or containers for development and testing purpose. Specially the preference for containers is due to the easly development when the only basic operational system is required istead of fully hardware virtualization (kvm).

We heavly use replication resource to assign some garantine to critical virtual machines wich could run eventually on other sites or hosts, in case of broken internet links, hardware issues or even hacker attacks (many thanks to ZFS working with PVE-ZSync feature that allow planning a standback period of retention snapshots, quickly failover and fallback of virtual machine storage)

How has it helped my organization?

It is high availability resources, replication and live-migration (on cluster envirioment). We don't have significant problems with hardware issue or maintenance schedule, because with ZFS, Cephs or other shared storage incorporated in Proxmox technology, it´s possible to migrate virtual machines to other hosts with almost zero downtime.

What is most valuable?

1) The two-factor authentication: for security reasons!

2) PVE-Zsync: wich allows replication outside clusters, with snapshot retention for quickly failover and failback (by incremental syncs)

3) Large documentation and "How-To" on the wiki page;

4) Many usefull integration: APIs, Active Directory;

5) ACLS, Groups e User Managment: Allows to set and customize permissions.

6) Proxmox Backup Server: Assertive Incrememtal Backup Solution for realible local backups or remote with encryption support! That's perfect.

7) Built on Debian based Kernel, very stable distro

What needs improvement?

1) PVE-Zsync GUI implementation - This is a very important tool, it could delivery the more advantage in comparision to Xen Orchestra and Microsoft Virtual Machine Replica Service.

2) Central Cluster Administration: The possibility to manage many clusters sites in "one only page" instead of oppening many browsers tabs! IT Cloud companies as us, usually need to access diferent clusters sites, I think it's good idea to centralize the administration GUI for companies that own two or more cluster sites!

3) In connection with my suggestion number 2, the possibility to create a "farm cluster". In few words, the possibility to move virtual machines (live or not) among diferents clusters sites separated by WAN links. Actually, PVE Cluster is realible on local links, due to multicast or udp rings, but in some scenarios when a entire cluster site needs to be put offline (eg, for maintenance or internet issues), a virtua machine migration to other cluster that belongs to the same "farm" but in other region will increase the "value" of Proxmox simular to Microsoft Azure Site Recovery ou Amazon. That will make my evaluation increase from 8 to 9 or even 10!

Since 2014

The technical support is the very complete. I don't  have a subscription, because the support that we need for our applications and solution are available on the Proxmox Wiki However, for big companies we recomend the Proxmox subscription for getting a first class support and best pratices.

Microsoft Hyper-V on situation thats requires Outside Migration (see my comment 3 on the question: what areas could the product or service be improved)

The solution is very easy to set up and implement. It's not complex. We can put a single host or even a Cluster only line in less than one hour!

Not yet!

Proxmox delivery more cost X Benefits in comparision to VMWare and Citrix Xen. It could be improved in future for more benefits in comparison to XCP-NG and  Microsoft Hyper-V

Citrix Xen-Server and XCP-NG

Assistant Information Technology Manager with 51-200 employees
Easy to set up, stable, and fits in well with our organization

What is our primary use case?

We use it wherever we need virtualization.

What is most valuable?

It fits in well with our organization. It works and does what it says it does.

What needs improvement?

Its performance and support can be improved. Currently, there is a cost for support.

We've been using this solution for probably two years now.

We are satisfied with the stability of the solution.

It leads itself well for scaling out. It is being used on almost all of our servers here. We have 46 users, and everyone who works here uses this solution.

I didn't contact them.

Before Proxmox, we used Zend Server.

The initial setup was fairly straightforward. The initial deployment probably took two hours.

We implemented it through an in-house team. We have two staff members for its deployment and maintenance. Their roles are IT Manager and Assistant IT Manager.

I'm sure there was or is an ROI, but I don't really get to see that end of the operation.

I am not aware of the licensing cost, but there is a cost for support.

We tried VMware and decided to go with Proxmox VE. The cost was the key factor.

What other advice do I have?

I would highly recommend this solution. I would rate Proxmox VE a nine out of ten.

Founder, President at Everyman Technologies, inc.
Easy to deploy and allows us to run services without using dedicated hardware
  • "The most valuable feature is the ease of deployment."
  • "There are some things that need to be done using the command-line interface, and these should be moved into the web-based interface."

What is our primary use case?

There are a number of services that we need, such as a dedicated phone system and an Active Directory server, that we run in a virtualized environment. Doing so means that we don't need to use dedicated hardware for them.

How has it helped my organization?

This is a low-use, but a high-need solution for us. It is helpful because it means that we don't need dedicated hardware for all of our services. It has allowed us to grow the way we have, over the past couple of years.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the ease of deployment.

For the most part, it is quite user-friendly.

What needs improvement?

The interface can be a little bit rough in places. There are some things that need to be done using the command-line interface, and these should be moved into the web-based interface. There are also aspects related to storage that are difficult to do with the interface.

We have been using Proxmox for between two and three years.

We have had absolutely no problems with stability.

Scalability is excellent and it seems to run with quite a low overhead.

I have been experimenting with adding nodes to the cluster so that we can create more of a high-availability system. The process is just a matter of installing the software and then copying and pasting the license key. It couldn't be easier.

I have not had problems that necessitated contacting technical support.

I did not use a similar solution prior to implementing Proxmox.

The initial setup is easy.

I am the person who is responsible for configuring and maintaining Proxmox.

What other advice do I have?

This is a product that I recommend trying. There are others that are bigger and better, albeit priced accordingly. This should definitely be tried and put through its paces.

Overall, this is a good product, although there is always room for improvement.

Systems Administrator at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Great affordability, scalable, and stable
  • "The affordability of the solution is the product's most valuable aspect."
  • "The initial setup has a pretty steep learning curve."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use this solution to cover anything that VMware does.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution has made it so that I can operate things without having to spend thousands and thousands of dollars. It's saved my company a lot of money.

What is most valuable?

The affordability of the solution is the product's most valuable aspect.

What needs improvement?

The so-called free support that the solution offers doesn't allow you to access the repositories. If they would allow that access like they say they do it would be better. It does work for about a week and then it times out and never works again.

It would be preferable if they had a different viewing product other than VNC.

The initial setup has a pretty steep learning curve.

I'd like to see more high availability capabilities.

I've been using the solution for a couple of years.

The solution is very stable. That's not a problem. I can't recall dealing with bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze.

The solution is scalable. If a company needs to expand the service, it can do so easily.

We just have a handful of users on the solution. However, it fluctuates. Many users handle web servers and virtual guests.

Technical support has room for improvement. It would be nice to be able to call them and have conversations with them during stateside hours. Right now, that's not possible. Right now, it's more run through email and chats.

I'd rate their service seven out of ten. It's okay, but it could be better if calling them directly was an option.

We previously used Hyper-V and VMware, however, we switched to this solution mostly due to the costs involved in running the other options.

The initial setup isn't too bad, however, it's a bit complex. There's definitely a learning curve for people implementing it themselves.

The solution is very affordable in comparison to competitors.

What other advice do I have?

We're simply customers. We don't have a business relationship with the solution.

We're currently using the latest version of the solution.

We use both cloud and on-premises deployment models.

The solution isn't too bad, and not too hard to figure out. Users considering taking on the solution can just watch some videos and train up a little bit. It will make it easier when it comes to setting everything up and understanding how to handle the solution.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten. It would be great if there was someone available in stateside hours instead of just German hours. Other than that, it offers pretty much everything we need at a pretty great price.

Kevin Heron - PeerSpot reviewer
Technical Operations Manager at Ocient, Inc.
Rivaling the stiffest and competition in its category this solution suffers only from being young
  • "That the product is free and still has all the features you expect is a huge benefit."
  • "The setup is very easy."
  • "The product is still a little young so it is maturing, but new features are coming out all the time."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution as our virtualization platform. It is a hypervisor that we use for our virtual needs to run servers.

What is most valuable?

One of the things that I found most valuable is how easy Proxmox is to deploy. It can run on anything. Right now we are running it on some file servers that we have without any special configuration.

I also like how it has got the same high-availability features as you get in a product like VMware. I get those benefits and I do not have to pay the $17,000 a year for the VMware license to enjoy them.

Because Proxmox VE is open-source, the only expense we have is the support costs. You get an easy to use GUI that you can use to look to see who your virtual clients are and what hosts they are living on. You can also essentially vMotion — which is a VMware term but the feature in Proxmox does the same thing — to transfer a system.

It is host-aware, so if the host Proxmox is living on crashes and there is another host in the cluster, it will automatically failover. That is just a great capability. It also can do the same thing if performance on the given host exceeds a certain threshold. You have the option to configure that as you want it with the product. It will automatically move to a different host to improve performance with the system and, in turn, improve the performance of the application running on it.

What needs improvement?

Really every user interface could use a little bit of improvement. It is already very user-friendly at the present time but there are some ways that it can get even better.

Another area that might have room for improvement is either building in or having third-party tools that could report on CPU and memory usage across your virtual platform. They have those tools for VMware and that helps you to point out resource bottlenecks so that you can right-size a VM. If a VM is soaking up too many resources, it is defeating the purpose of virtualization. Proximo is really missing those kinds of tools right now. You have to do that on your own. So that could definitely be an opportunity for improvement. It is not necessarily just room for Proxmox to grow, it is more of a possibility industry-wide for these products.

I have been using Poxmox VE (Virtual Environment) for the last 12 months.

The stability of Proxmox is good. It runs well, and they are constantly looking to improve the product. By "they" I mean the core group at Proxmox themselves. But the key part of the updates is everything is well-tested and the goal is obviously to maintain stability while upgrading the functionality.

Proxmox is scalable. Let's say you wanted to add an additional host, or you wanted to add additional hosts just from memory or virtual CPUs, just for additional resources. You could just add a host. You do not need to buy a license to do it. That is better than just scalability, it is scalability without cost.

With VMware, you have to buy a license or you need to use it free for 30 days, but eventually, you are going to have to procure another license. With this product, I can just take whatever server I have, install Proxmox on it, and that is it. I introduce it to the cluster during the install, and everything is up and running.

So it is very, very easy to scale at will. I have not seen any limitations of the product itself that would prevent me from adding additional systems or or other resource into a cluster. By resources, I mean CPU, memory, drive space, or other performance enhancement.

We do not even have to have anybody on staff who is here to maintain the system. It is just another part of the existing architecture that gets monitored by the systems that we already have in place. We have monitoring set up so that we can tell how the system is performing overall. We can generate reports within Proxmox to tell us how it is performing in a given cluster and how many hosts it has.

We plan on keeping it as our virtual platform and we are pretty confident that it can scale with our needs. If our virtual needs increase, then that is exactly what we would do: scale it up. We can just run everything on it — anything not critical that is fine running on a VM. Right now, we are a very small company. There is plenty of room to grow and I do not expect Proxmox will be exhibiting pushback any time soon.

Customer support is the only cost for the product and it is about $3,000 maximum. It depends on the support plan you choose. There are two different plans. If you want a 24 by seven plan or next business day, that is the difference. The plans are a little different but it is all very clearly laid out on their website.

Their support is pretty good. Even if you did not want to pay support, the thing that is great about the product is that it is open-source. There are a lot of knowledgeable users nowadays and the pool is growing all the time. A lot of times you can just Google whatever issue you are having and likely come up with the solution to the problem.

We did use a different solution prior to Proxmox VE, and that would be VMware. At this point, we have been able to migrate from VMware completely and we just use Proxmox.

Before I got here, the company was strictly using VMware for this type of solution. I am not really sure if they looked at other solutions. When I got here I did not even know about Proxmox. I just assumed we were a VMware shop. But after I started, someone had discovered Proxmox and I started reading up on it. It was interesting enough that I started using it. As I did, I thought it felt very familiar. I kept testing and as far as I was concerned I could do everything in Proxmox VE that I was doing in VMware.

The initial deployment of Proxmox did not really have all of the same features as VMware, but that was kind of the expected in a newer open-source product. They added the other features very quickly. How much the product is advancing is especially apparent with this latest release where it has got the same failover concerns as VMware does. They are called "high-availability" features.

So now that you can get all the HA (high-availability) features that VMware has, there are not too many major differences between VMware and Proxmox. The only difference is you get it for no cost. It is easy to use, easy to manage, easy to scale, and there are probably going to be a whole lot more and better things coming down the pipe from them. It really has been a great effort on the part of the developers.

The question of whether it is easy to set up or not really is more like five questions. They are pretty easy questions.

We have the source on a thumb drive. You launch the system install from the thumb drive and the first question it wants answered are "What is the time zone," "What is the host hostname," and "What is the IP address?" There are three of the questions. With those three questions, you just started the installation on the target server.

If you want to get running, there are two more important questions. You answer these questions the installer does its job and installs everything you need on your end and you are done. The two questions are "What is your username?" and "What is your password?" You answer those questions and you are done with the installation. You can see it has a high-level of difficulty.

From the time the setup starts, the total time it takes to deploy everything is about 20 minutes. You do not need an integrator, reseller, or consultant to help you out with the installation. You can set up everything yourself.

My advice on the pricing is that there is no pricing: it is free. The only thing you pay for is support and it is like $2,500 a year. The support is completely optional. But even the support is absolutely affordable for just about any company in the market. In any case, it is well below the cost of a VMware license.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to people considering the product is that they have nothing to lose. Run it in a development lab, make sure they are comfortable with it, and make sure that the application that their company runs can support that hypervisor. It should. Then deploy Proxmox and start saving money.

I have been encouraging former colleagues of mine that are VMware users to start using Proxmox. I suggest they throw it in their development lab and spin it up and start building systems just so they can see the absolute benefits of this product and really enjoy the fact that they can have it as a solution at no cost.

Proxmox is constantly coming out with updates. If the company you are working for has the appetite to run updates frequently in a production environment you can enjoy frequent releases. They are always looking to add additional features to the product. That is kind of nice. They have a very agile approach to the development of the application itself.

What people are concerned about is that it is open source. But hopefully, they will start to realize all you have got to do is use the product, they do not have to program anything. It has got the same features that VMware has, but it is not as restrictive as VMware because it is open-source and you can actually build on it if you want to.

In VMware, the hypervisor, which is called VirtualCenter, needs to live on its own system. It can not coexist with everything else. Proxmox does not have that issue. Proxmox can have everything living on one system. You will want more than one piece of hardware in a given cluster so you can set it up separately if you want to, but the possibility is there to put it all on one box. I think it is a little bit better than VMware in that sense because you have that flexibility.

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is best, I would rate Proxmox VE as a seven-out-of-ten. Ironically, I would rate VMware lower than Proxmox because of the price.

Kevin Heron - PeerSpot reviewer
Technical Operations Manager at Ocient, Inc.
Free, flexible, easy to implement; it's based on KVM and independent nodes are a great feature
  • "Less infrastructure required; simple to use."
  • "Lacking in enterprise features."

What is our primary use case?

This is a free version of VMware and that's why we're using it. It does everything that VMware can do and it's more flexible. We were looking for a virtual solution and we're a startup, so the cheapest is best. We are customers of Proxmox and I'm the technology operations manager.

What is most valuable?

The feature I like best about this product is the fact that they have independent nodes. Proxmox is based on KVM and essentially you could lose a node. All the hosts that are running are evacuated elsewhere in the cluster and away you go. I have reduced infrastructure and I'm familiar with it because at the heart of the hypervisor is Debian Linux and I'm a Linux administrator. It didn't require learning a whole new platform and it's so easy to use. Proxmox will be in my toolbox forever, I love it.

This is a really great solution and the more VMware raises their costs, the more appealing it is. I'd be very nervous if I were one of the big companies because you're going to have administrators like myself discovering Proxmox and the cost is zero. With this solution, when something goes wrong, you Google it, you figure out the problem and fix it. Of course if you're an enterprise company, that's something else.

What needs improvement?

The product should have more enterprise features, perhaps DRS. I don't think Proxmox has the ability to sense that a host is running hot and needs to be evacuated. So DRS, dynamic resource scheduling, is a feature that constantly monitors the host and if it sees a particular host taking up a lot of resources, it will take that host off and throw it on a different host in the cluster that's not running as hot and doesn't have as much utilization. It protects the overall cluster

As above, I think the DRS would be a helpful additional feature.

I've been using this solution for six months.

As long as you're monitoring your host yourself, it's a stable solution.

I can't really speak to the scalability. I haven't looked into it yet. We're a very small company and we have about five people using the solution, all at the director or senior level. We have a senior application developer, and a director level manager who brought the product in.

Does a three and a half minute setup sound reasonable to you? When I first installed it, I thought there must be more to it. I downloaded the ISO onto a thumb drive and made it bootable. Then you boot the server, boot off the thumb drive. You have to answer about six questions and that's it. Very simple.

What other advice do I have?

My only recommendation to anyone thinking of implementing this solution is to read up on it, but give it some serious consideration because it really is a great product. In other words, don't let the freeware label scare you off.

I would rate this solution a seven out of 10.

Private Cloud
reviewer1373829 - PeerSpot reviewer
Propriétaire et Technicien Système at MBTechnologies.ca
Easy to use and supports multi-monitors on multiple VMs in KVM
  • "Ease of use, HA, internal 100gbps Virtio network, built-in backup (don't pay $1200 Veeam licence), support for multi-monitors on multiple VMs in KVM, no need to RDP in the VMs to do your stuff (Win, Linux and Mac with SPICE and using 6 screens here (11520*2160)."
  • "The Windows drivers could be easier (unlike manually installing Ballon, QEMU and optionally SPICE, VIRTio, etc.)"

What is our primary use case?

We are now running it in full HA production vs XCP-NG and VMWware 6.7u3p We have multiple VMs on 6 hosts for Proxmox, 5 hosts on XCP-NG, and 12 Hosts for VMware.

Proxmox Config: 6X 2697V2 128GB ram each / 24TB SSD for CEPH (HP S700 PRO). XCP-NG Config: 5X2690V3 128GB each/12TB SSD (Samsung 860 Pro).

VMware Config: HP BLADE 12X2690V3 256GB each/2 SAN with 24X1TB SSD (S700 PRO) and total usable 1PB with multiple DAS for storage.

Comparing the CEPH to vSAN is about the same (wasn't running it in production but the performance was greater with a cheap drive on Proxmox, performance with SAS drives is the same).

XO-SAN was a way to mix a whole mismatch of drive and still get good performance but I would doubt the reliability.

How has it helped my organization?

The performance and compatibility are really pushing some users like community organizations to not buy software licenses anymore (why buy a $1000 license for an old appliance when we can get the same functionality for free on another software and still get good performance). Reliability is still advertised for our clients.

What is most valuable?

Ease of use, HA, internal 100gbps Virtio network, built-in backup (don't pay $1200 Veeam licence), support for multi-monitors on multiple VMs in KVM, no need to RDP in the VMs to do your stuff (Win, Linux and Mac with SPICE and using 6 screens here (11520*2160). Containers are awesome fo saving a lot of resources (like 100-200mb for an isolated service vs a whole VM (can't run full HA though). It also works on older hardware (unlike VMware) so community clients are able to afford that unlike a new $10000 entry-level server with the config.

It's as stable as VMware or XCP-NG if you have a licence (much cheaper than VMware but XCP-Ng is totally free if you don't need functionality like clustering, XO-SAN, VCenter, etc.)

What needs improvement?

I think the team is already doing 150% on improvements (started from 4.6 and now on the 6.2-6 version and every 3-4 weeks we are given new functions to compete with all hypervisors competitors). Releases are much faster than VMware or XCP-NG but be aware unless you have a paid support licence, then you're a non-production client (updates are tested on you so don't expect 100% uptime without giving it some love).

The Windows drivers could be easier (unlike manually installing Ballon, QEMU and optionally SPICE, VIRTio, etc.)

I would like to get new containers and/or new stuff that, unlike the leader VMware, is so new that it would now lead the market.

2.5 years VS XCP-NG and VMware

i think for all SMBs, this is perfect.

I have some clients going for the support option (mostly community) but even if the community support advertises no estimated response time, all issues have been resolved on the same day (can't be certified though as they aren't posting if they're actually helping on this plan).

We previously used VMware and XCP-NG.

The setup is literraly 10 mins. If you have VLANs or anything it's so easier than VMware.

I have implemented for our team, in fact, we have searched a lot for community organisms and found that like three years ago.  We were testing this solution for 6 months and compared it to our **TO GO SOLUTION (VMWare 6.7).  We have also tested XCP-NG in that same process.

ROI is just reusing old VMWare hardware for 99% of my clients.

It is so affordable if you're good with Linux.

We also evaluated XCP-NG.

What other advice do I have?

Best free and stable solution on the market for me.

Other
it_user766425 - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Systems Engineer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
The setup is straightforward and it has no stability issues
  • "The initial setup was really straightforward and easy."
  • "The virtualization can be better."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for Linux servers and contain our VM operating system servers.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see an improvement in the virtualization itself. We use the physical servers for easier migrations, but the virtualization can be better.

I have been using Proxmox VE for two to three years now on premise.

The solution is very stable.

We haven't subscribed for technical support, so I can't tell you if they are good or not.

The initial setup was really straightforward and easy.

What other advice do I have?

If I have to rate this solution, I will give it an eight out of ten. In the next version I would like to see differential packages. This version does not include that, so we have to use a third party or an opensource. Whenever we want to write a large, 500 gigabyte script to do differential packages for Proxmox VM, it is difficult to take a full package every day. So if that feature could be added in the future, it would be great.

AmirFahmy - PeerSpot reviewer
CISO And Senior Cloud Engineer at Kamena
Migration is very good in addition to the stability and community support

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to host our database, and also the Nextcloud private-cloud solution.

We have an on-premises deployment.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this solution is migration.

What needs improvement?

If this solution could import directly from OVS format then it would make migration much easier.

Not many people know about this product, so bulletins and advertising should be done to make people more aware of it.

I have been using this solution for almost one year.

This solution has been very good and very stable in this past that I have been using it.

I have not tried to add any additional servers, but I think that it will be scalable.

We have between twenty-five and thirty users.

I haven't needed technical support from Proxmox, but I think that everything is covered in the recommendations on the website and the community support.

We did not use another solution prior to this one.

The initial setup of this solution is not complex.

We set up three nodes and fixed storage.

The deployment took us at most four hours.

I performed the deployment myself. I'm a guru.

What other advice do I have?

This product is fantastic.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

Ivar Andreassen - PeerSpot reviewer
General Manager at Elogic
Easy to install, superb stability with a relatively straightforward setup
  • "The solution is easy to install. It can run on a lot of different types of hardware. Creating virtual machines with it is really easy."
  • "We had some challenges with management including volume and storage management. Setting it up properly and making it work, specifically shared storage between the virtual machines, is difficult."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution in order to have an infrastructure set up on-prem. It enables flexibility in projects to set up virtual servers. Instead of having to go out and buy expensive solutions from VMware, for example, Proxmox fills the gap between flexibility and stability.

What is most valuable?

The solution is easy to install. It can run on a lot of different types of hardware. Creating virtual machines with it is really easy.

What needs improvement?

The backup solution is a little bit slow and sometimes sluggish on the restore side. It takes a little bit of time, but that could also be the fault of the hardware.

We had some challenges with management including volume and storage management. Setting it up properly and making it work, specifically shared storage between the virtual machines, is difficult.

The installation could definitely be easier. For the vendor, if the solution offered better information, they would have more users on it.

The solution should implement something that enables me to at least get an overview of the loads and the statuses of the machines and applications from my cell phone. An app for mobile management would be great.

I've been using the solution for nearly two years.

It's been very stable. It's been working tremendously for our projects in order to set up things temporarily. Right now, it's not in production; we're only using it for testing. It offers superb stability, however.

We haven't tried to scale the solution. We tried it with two loads, which isn't really enough for a scalability test. We only have about 20 people on the solution currently.

We haven't really used technical support. We've only been using the community version.

We previously used VMware. We switched mostly due to the cost, but also the scalability, and usability of Proxmox.

The initial setup, after you've done it once, is straightforward, but the first time it isn't. That's because of the way you build the image. When you install on x86 infrastructure, mounting the installation is not straightforward. Unless you have medium to good NAVIS experience, it's actually difficult to install.

We handled the implementation ourselves. The documentation available is really good, which is why we were able to handle it internally.

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises deployment model.

Apart from a few small issues, everything works well in comparison to VMware. I would select Proxmox any day. The solution itself is really good.

The solution should definitely keep supporting the community, and always have a community edition because people who are interested in it will want to learn it. Once users get into production mode, they will definitely end up buying the support version. They should make the implementation easier, however, because then the solution would get more people on board.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten.

AmirFahmy - PeerSpot reviewer
AmirFahmyCISO And Senior Cloud Engineer at Kamena
Top 10Real User

It would be great if the can add a migration tools directly from Vcenter of OVF format.

Irfan Rosid - PeerSpot reviewer
System Administrator at INET GLOBALINDO
An inexpensive solution that offers easy integrations and has good stability

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for some websites and applications.

What is most valuable?

The solution allows for easy integrations.

What needs improvement?

The solution needs a better billing system.

I've been using the solution for three years.

The solution is stable.

We buy support from Proxmox.

We currently use a mix of solutions, so we haven't just switched from one to another. We also use VMware and OpenStack.

The initial setup was complex. We took about a month to fully deploy the solution.

We handled the implementation ourselves.

The solution isn't expensive. It's cheap for us.

What other advice do I have?

We use the hybrid cloud deployment model.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten.

Carey Butler - PeerSpot reviewer
CEO at Heurist GmbH / Heuristica Information Services
Good performance and it works right out of the box

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case for this solution is virtualization.

We have an on-premises deployment.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this solution is performance. It is fast.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see more monitoring in the next release of this solution. Currently, it's simple structured monitoring.

I have been using this solution for about six months.

This is a stable solution.

This is a scalable solution. It recognizes memory, so if you add a new hard disk then it is ok.

We have two people who use this solution.

I have never contacted technical support for this solution. I've found everything that I needed to know on the internet.

The initial setup of this solution is straightforward, and it is relatively easy to set up.

I performed the implementation myself.

We do not require any staff for deployment and maintenance. It works right out of the box.

What other advice do I have?

This is a solution that I recommend.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

Grant-Donald - PeerSpot reviewer
Information Security Consultant at Excellenta
A stable, scalable solution that offers great compatibility with other operating systems
  • "The solution's compatibility is very good with multiple operating systems. The moving systems are very good and migration is excellent. These are the most valuable features for us."
  • "The solution should include some features that can help with converting raw files into different formats. It should offer better management around raw files."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is testing any software by Proxmox.

What is most valuable?

The solution's compatibility is very good with multiple operating systems. The moving systems are very good and migration is excellent. These are the most valuable features for us.

What needs improvement?

The solution should include some features that can help with converting raw files into different formats. It should offer better management around raw files.

I've been using the solution for two months.

The stability of the solution is very good.

The solution is scalable.

I've never been in touch with technical support so I can't speak to any direct experience with them. Their website, however, is very helpful.

The initial setup was straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

We use the standard community edition of the solution. We use the on-premises deployment model.

The planning of the volumes is very important because if you're converting from one format to another, you can have some challenges there. I would advise others to plan the setup very, very well so that you do not have to migrate systems into different formats. That's the only challenge that we had.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

ICT Solution Especialist with self employed
A flexible and affordable approach, especially for on-site deployment
  • "Proxmox allows us to achieve affordable performance while keeping high levels of data protection and flexibility."
  • "This solution needs a more flexible and efficient backup solution in the dashboard."

What is our primary use case?

I use this solution as a virtualization and Linux container platform for a small-medium Enterprise. It's highly stable, flexible, expansible, and compatible. The characteristics of the software combined with the hardware performance allow for the deployment of services in many different and variable scenarios, especially on-site for companies that need this kind of deployment.

How has it helped my organization?

Proxmox allows us to achieve affordable performance while keeping high levels of data protection and flexibility. It also enables the deployment of services for small enterprises that need on-site deployment, and at the same time, it helps keep the budget under control. It maintains very low energy, noise, and steric footprint for the office environment.

What is most valuable?

For me, there are several features that I find valuable, including:

• Use of open-source software.
  • Compatibility with simple Linux container solutions on the same hosts.
  • The integration of a simple and flexible backup solution.
  • The dashboard/control panel.

Worthy of special mention is the community, which is excellent at solving or explaining difficulties for the users of the solution.

What needs improvement?

This solution needs a more flexible and efficient backup solution in the dashboard.

The capacity for integrating deployment through WAN is needed. Something like a Federation tool for Central monitoring and management.

UPS supervision integration would be a nice feature because right now this has been integrated by ourselves using another tool that is not on the platform.

Eight years.

Besides using the free unlicensed version, the updates are very stable. I have only had one reported incident in eight years. Systems are deployed in office scenarios.

This solution scales relatively easily.

I have never used the technical support. Instead, I have relied on the community.

Prior to this solution, I used VMware VSphere 5 and 6, but it requires mostly professional (certified) IT equipment. The performance impact of the hypervisor and control panel is very heavy and it requires an independent backup solution. It also does not support Linux containers.

The initial setup was relatively simple. We had a couple of servers and an iSCSI SAN, VLAN, and LACP Bonding with no HA.

We performed the implementation in-house.

The time it took for us to see the ROI was very short.

Proxmox is free software, but if you prefer the support and a more rested repository then you can pay for it.

I evaluated several products including Docker, HyperV, VirtualBox, and KVM.

‎Director of Computing Platforms at NetFortris
An excellent choice for budget sensitive operations.

What is our primary use case?

We currently have more than 160 virtual machines and LXC containers on Proxmox in an all Linux production environment.

How has it helped my organization?

Get the community level if you are on a budget --- keep your software updated to the latest releases.

What is most valuable?

Live migration. It is easier to balance loads across hypervisors if a given container or virtual machine uses more resources than its peers.

What needs improvement?

IMPORTANT - use separate physical network for Corosync/Heartbeat functions. This is obscure in the documentation - but you'll find it.

Heartbeat was overwhelmed due to all hypervisors running a single NIC - nodes started to fence themselves when load was high.

Use best practices for network segregation - management / heartbeat / live migration / Ethernet-based storage should be on different networks (VLANs).

N/A.

Very straightforward.

In-House.

The cost is excellent. An excellent choice for budget sensitive operations.

Technical Support Analyst at a tech vendor with 1,001-5,000 employees
Saves a lot of time compared to imaging physical desktops
  • "We now have the ability to quickly build and deploy VM desktops for application testing with the snapshot ability to rollback, as required."
  • "Saves a lot of time compared to imaging physical desktops."
  • "The template option allows us to build a desktop in a VM, then quickly deploy as a linked clone."
  • "Some of the more advanced features and options required for setup still need to use the console and hand edit config files."

What is our primary use case?

I needed a free virtualization solution for training, development work, and application testing with the ability to quickly deploy VMs based on a single VM template and snapshots.

How has it helped my organization?

By implementing Proxmox, we now have the ability to quickly build and deploy VM desktops for application testing with the snapshot ability to rollback, as required. Saves a lot of time compared to imaging physical desktops. The web interface is quick to learn for techs to deploy VMs based on templates, as required.

What is most valuable?

The template option allows us to build a desktop in a VM, then quickly deploy as a linked clone. The hard drive file on the template is used (read-only), then all changes are saved in a separate hard drive file. It is like deploying a new VM based on snapshots.

Less than one year.

No issues.

No issues.

initial setup was a bit of a learning curve, as with any new product. Some of the configuration required uses the console and options were not available in web interface (like setting MTU on NICs).

Founder at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
We have developed a tried and tested method to set up servers and it works well once you know how you want your servers to work.​

What is most valuable?

It's a solid, stable and powerful open source virtualisation product that has allowed us to bring virtualisation to smaller SMBs at an affordable price.

How has it helped my organization?

All our client servers are now virtualised, which has reduced the risk of downtime due to a server failure that used to happen with non-virtualised servers. Servers can be backed up using snapshots etc.

What needs improvement?

Storage IO management seems the weakest link although this could be hardware related. On decent servers this is not an issue but on smaller custom built servers we have occasionally had issues with IO speed. It is a well thought out product and the newer versions just seem to get better n better.

We've been using it for seven years.

There have been no issues deploying it.

There have been no issues with its stability.

We haven't had any issues scaling it for our needs.

I've never really needed it as I've been able to work out most things intuitively.

We also looked at VMware. Our perception is that this is a superior product but that is subjective as it is not mainstream.

It's straightforward. We have developed a tried and tested method to set up servers and it works well once you know how you want your servers to work.

It's hard to quantity but using Proxmox has significantly boosted our server capabilities and service offering increasing our revenue.

It's open source and provided one has enough experience with Linux and servers it doesn’t cost much other than time to become an expert in the product.

We also looked at VMware.

What other advice do I have?

It's well worth using. It's highly recommended and we have had no issues.

Fábio Rabelo - PeerSpot reviewer
Fábio RabeloIT Manager at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees

I can endorse everything in this review .
I am an user of Proxmox for about the same time, since the 1.6 version .
It is been improving in every new version to become a real contender in virtualization market .
Rock solid stability, flexible and feature rich .

it_user4071 - PeerSpot reviewer
IT Administrator at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
Performs well with Windows but lacks Mac support due to Mac's EULA

With respect to some of the cons, Proxmox VE performs well enough with Windows if you use KVM's virtio devices in lieu of emulated hardware. However, the freely available virtio drivers are not WHQL-certified, which produces annoying error messages when you attempt to load them.

With respect to the lack of Mac OS X support, a large part of this is due to Apple's terms of use for OS X. I can't really blame Proxmox or the KVM folks for not pursuing Mac OS X support since doing so would violate Mac OS X's EULA and could potentially get them or their customers sued.

Lastly, I can't say that I've ever had any stability issues with the Proxmox VE web interface, but using the graphical console can be a struggle. I don't think I've gotten it to work in anything except Mozilla Firefox.

it_user1068 - PeerSpot reviewer
it_user1068Tech Support Staff at a tech company with 51-200 employees

The limitation to running on Mac platforms is quite a disadvantage to the many large companies using this kind of OS for their machines. Luckily there are many other alternative virtualization productss in the market that provide similar or better features.

it_user3498 - PeerSpot reviewer
Architect at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
MSP
Simple install open source, but poor support for USB and OSx

Valuable Features:

· Bear metal simple install · Runs on many different form factors- requires minimal hardware but take advantage of super-computer. From a tiny media servers to huge enterprise machines. · No CPU or memory restrictions · Many media options – local, iscsi, NFS, etc. · Run full virtualization and container based virtualization simultaneously (OpenVZ and KVM) · Intuitive web managed interface · Many enterprise advanced features · Free commercial use allowed · Open source with very active community · Large repository of open source easy to download pre-made container images that go from hyperlinks to VMs in minutes.

Room for Improvement:

· MS windows performance · Immature VDI · Poor USB handling · Poor support for OSx · commercial support options · GUI interface stability (v2.0)
it_user1068 - PeerSpot reviewer
it_user1068Tech Support Staff at a tech company with 51-200 employees

About one of the cons of Proxmox VE: What's with the performance of MS windows that is not good?

Download our free Proxmox VE Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: November 2022