IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Portnox CORE OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Portnox CORE is #7 ranked solution in top Network Access Control (NAC) tools. PeerSpot users give Portnox CORE an average rating of 8.8 out of 10. Portnox CORE is most commonly compared to Cisco ISE (Identity Services Engine): Portnox CORE vs Cisco ISE (Identity Services Engine). Portnox CORE is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 51% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 30% of all views.
Portnox CORE Buyer's Guide

Download the Portnox CORE Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2022

What is Portnox CORE?

Portnox CORE provides 100% actionable visibility of all devices that are connected to your network. As the first software-based NAC platform, Portnox CORE's patented solution allows you to manage the security and compliance challenges your organization faces in a smart and simple way.

Portnox CORE was previously known as Access Layers Portnox.

Portnox CORE Video

Portnox CORE Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Portnox CORE pricing:
  • "The vendor price is fair."
  • "The licensing module should be reviewed to count the number of devices instead of port numbers of total switches. There is a case for this where not all ports for a switch are used by devices. Unused ports are calculated in the license, then the customer pays for license for those unused ports."
  • "The users are not very happy with the new licensing option where there is only a subscription license. There is no perpetual license."
  • Portnox CORE Reviews

Joseph James - PeerSpot reviewer
    Systems & Support Engineer at CWG Plc
    Reseller
    Great dashboards, easy to set up, and very scalable
    • "It's so easy to set up, you don't need outside assistance."
    • "Now, the way security is viewed, maybe including something like AI, to automate some of the things that are required to be done would be great."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for network access control, on the wireless and the wired LAN. This includes managing; network access control, profiling of endpoints and, also managing guests and consultants on the network.

How has it helped my organization?

Great visibility on who and what is connected or joined the network at any one time. This also allows for security posture attainment because of the profiling features of Portnox Core that allow for a particular endpoint update baseline to join the network or be quarantine until the baseline is met

What is most valuable?

Profiling to me is the solution's most valuable aspect. It gives you an extra edge, and you've got visibility on the status of the endpoints that are connected to your network. It becomes very easy for you to quickly update, and be able to see the level of availability that you have in the environment. It becomes very easy for you to manage your goals before they can even cause any issues.

For a network access control solution, Portnox is a very good solution. It offers great integration in heterogeneous environments that have a number of different vendor equipment. It is not limited, say, to one vendor. For a network access control solution, it's a very good solution.

Their dashboards are great and very easy to navigate.

It's so easy to set up, you may not need outside assistance.

What needs improvement?

I don't have any negative feedback in regard to the product as a whole. It's worked well for us and has very good features.

If the solution stayed as is, I'd be very happy with it.

However, if there was a change to the solution, it would be interesting if the Portnox team could include aspects of End-user behavior analytics (EUBA), with an aspect of AI to the already great profiling. But I already think quite highly of it.

Portnox CORE
    July 2022
    Learn what your peers think about Portnox CORE. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2022.
    621,327 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I've been dealing with the solution for two years at this point.

The solution is quite stable. We don't have issues with it crashing or going offline. It's very reliable.

The licensing model is based on the number of users. Wireless is based on the number of access points. If I want to scale up, it's very easy. You just buy a new license and additional licenses for the users that you have.

From a scalability point of view, it becomes flexible, in that you can actually buy licenses for exactly the number of users you have, or a range of a number of users that you hope to have. Scalability is fine and doesn't cause any issues.

Unfortunately, I've never contacted technical support. It's very easy for any IT person to deploy the solution due to the fact that it's extremely straightforward. Everything is visible. The dashboard is clear. Therefore, I've never actually gotten a chance to talk to technical support as there's never been a need.

Maybe later, when they have a wider deployment, looking at having a number of sites on one CORE, I'll need their assistance. For now, I've not yet spoken to support. I only hope that their support is good when I do finally need to reach out.

It's straightforward. They have a variety of ways you can deploy it. You can deploy it even using an OVA if you're deploying in a virtual environment. The best thing about it is it's mostly agentless, which makes everything very easy. It's not tedious for a system admin to deploy. The product is very good in that regard. Other solutions need you to deploy agents all over the network, to endpoints that are connecting. This is sometimes administratively impossible. With Portnox, you don't need to worry about this, which is great.

It's fairly priced. From the features that are on offer, I would say that it gives you great value for money. Licensing model is great and is scalable

What other advice do I have?

I'd advise other organizations considering the solution to switch when you can. If you compare it to other solutions, other solutions are kind of tied to vendor-specific equipment. They have APIs to connect to other vendors. For Portnox, it's the usual communication interfaces that are already actually implemented within most hardware and most solutions.

It is very easy to work with the solution if you have an environment that has a number of different products, which is most of the IT Department across the world. Even if you have the same brand in the environment, it's very good. However, it is impossible to have one solution for doing everything.

It is a very, very nice product. I would recommend it to any customer. Even to deploy, it's quite easy, and the price is very good.

Overall, I'd rate the solution ten out of ten. I have never had any issue switch it.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Systems Integrator
    Felix Adikaibe - PeerSpot reviewer
    IT INFRASTRUCTURE AND NETWORK ADMIN at Investment One Finance
    Easy to set up and good for security but offers a slow response time
    • "It's a stable product."
    • "One of the things for the on-premise is that sometimes you click on it and it takes a while for it to respond."

What is our primary use case?

We use it more on our endpoint solutions, and endpoint devices, to secure our endpoint devices, including the computers, CCTV cameras, et cetera. We use it just to add a level of security to our endpoints.

What is most valuable?

One of the things that I like about Portnox is the fact that in Portnox you are able to manage your network devices, like your switches or routers, using that instead of logging into the console of, say, a switch or a router. You can see the GUI of development from Portnox. It shows a lot of whatever activities you want to do just when you enable your ports. You can work offline as well.

The initial setup is simple.

It's a stable product.

The scalability is good.

It's good for security. I once saw a machine accessing us that wasn't on our domain, and I immediately just dispatched the necessary policy.

What needs improvement?

Portnox has actually moved to the cloud. We do not utilize the cloud environment much where I work, however, moving there is the plan. We are trying to work on that. It may end up being faster. One of the things for the on-premise is that sometimes you click on it and it takes a while for it to respond. It doesn't respond immediately. The response time for the application is slow. While it works very well, it would be ideal if it responded more readily.

We've been using the solution for one year.

It's a stable solution. We have been using it for a year now and I've never had any issue with it. We just got it licensed and started using it.

The solution is scalable.

We have seven people using the solution.

I have not reached out to support lately. We have a support vendor that we contact to support it. I have contacted the technical support vendor that supports us on Portnox. We are satisfied with them.

I have used Cisco ISE before I came to this company. It is complex compared to Portnox. Portnox is easy to use.

The initial setup is easy. I've actually used other solutions, however, I found Portnox to be easier.

That said, I was not on the team that managed the initial deployment.

It is inexpensive compared to what I have used before.

What other advice do I have?

We are a customer.

We are using the latest version of the solution.

I'd recommend others to use it. It's easier to use and has this GUI that can give you more visibility to all you are doing on the device, and also it gives you a more analytic view of the people that are trying to connect. You see the Mac address of the device and everything.

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten.

Portnox CORE
    July 2022
    621,327 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Security Analyst at a financial services firm with 201-500 employees
    Identifies location of a device on a switch to verify if a user's challenge is network or device related
    • "There is an add-on feature for application control to kill unwanted applications when launched on a user's device."
    • "For the information security team, the security level was improved because it helped to manage and prevent rogue devices from connecting to the corporate network. The reporting was granular, and reports we scheduled for delivery on Portnox were useful during investigations and audits, especially in cases where the IP address changed."
    • "Portnox CORE can improve on support for unmanaged switches (or hubs) and other brands of network devices. These kinds of devices are still in use in organisations, especially SMEs who cannot afford to buy a managed switch."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use of Portnox was for Network Access Control (NAC) and management. It was used to control and manage access to the network in my client's network. Unauthorised devices were locked out until approved and granted by the NAC manager. It showed information including the IP address, MAC address, hostname of device, username, switch location, and port number of where a device is connected to. It covers both wired and wireless.

Portnox CORE helped in securing my client's threat landscape from attackers and hackers.

How has it helped my organization?

For the information security team, the security level was improved because it helped to manage and prevent rogue devices from connecting to the corporate network. The reporting was granular, and reports we scheduled for delivery on Portnox were useful during investigations and audits, especially in cases where the IP address changed.

For network support, it helped in troubleshooting the type of connection challenge that a device or user experienced. Network engineers could identify the location of the device on a switch to verify if the user's challenge was network or device related.

What is most valuable?

NAS view page gave a virtual graphical view of the switches, similar to the physical view, and just like how you see the ports on them.

It has a feature to check the compliance state of computers. An example is for an antivirus. It checks if it was installed, installed but not running, or not installed, then it defines policy action based on compliance status, which it applies.

It supports a good number of known antivirus products.

It has scheduling reports for backward review of incidents.

Its knowledge base refers you to similar tickets or solutions.

What needs improvement?

Areas that Portnox CORE can improve include:

1. Support for unmanaged switches (or hubs) and other brands of network devices. These kinds of devices are still in use in organisations, especially SMEs who cannot afford to buy a managed switch.
    2. The licensing module. This should be reviewed to count the number of devices instead of port numbers of total switches. There is a case for this where not all ports for a switch are used by devices. Unused ports are calculated in the license, then the customer pays for license for those unused ports.

Over three years.

It is stable.

There has been progress from research and development when requests are made or something unusual is discovered during support.

Portnox customer service has been good and quick to respond.

Deployment is straightforward.

Vendor implementation.

The vendor price is fair. licensing was per total number of switch ports.

None.

Bojan Lepenik - PeerSpot reviewer
    Vodja projektov sistemskih rešitev at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    Fairly priced, easy to set up and easy to use
    • "Technical support was very helpful when we needed them."
    • "The solution did have some stability issues, however, all I had to do was restart it."

What is our primary use case?

We just do some basic testing on how the product is working.

We are system integrators, and due to that, we are testing products to see if it makes sense to offer them to other customers.

How has it helped my organization?

For a company, the major point is visibility and also the control over who is accessing the network. With this product, you have visibility and also you have control if you want somebody in your network (or not).

What is most valuable?

The visibility of the product is excellent.

Overall, it was pretty good in terms of usage.

The initial setup was very easy.

The pricing is reasonable.

I have reason to believe you could scale the product if you needed to.

Technical support was very helpful when we needed them.

What needs improvement?

It would be ideal if the configuration aspect of the product was easier. It's possible that the documentation could be better and could help with simplifying configuration steps.

We've only used the solution for two to three weeks. It's a product that is still relatively new to us. I tested about six or seven months ago now.

The solution is pretty stable. Not very stable, and yet stable enough. I had some issues with it, however, then I had to restart it. After that, it was fine.

I haven't really tested the scalability due to the fact that the test was not extended to find out how scalable it is. That said, it's my understanding that it is very scalable. For our purposes and how we will use it, it's fine.

The product seems to be best suited for small to medium-sized organizations.

Technical support was very good. They solved basically all my problems. I was quite satisfied with how helpful and responsive they were.

I did not find the initial setup to be overly complex or difficult. It was very straightforward and rather simple to deploy.

I handled the deployment and implementation process myself. I did not need the help of an integrator or consultant.

We have just some list prices, just so we can evaluate the product. That said, from what I have seen, the prices are okay. They're not cheap and they're not very expensive. They are okay in terms of what you get. It's reasonable.

What other advice do I have?

We are a partner of Portnox.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten.

I would recommend the solution to others based on its ease of use and simple implementation process.

NenadMijatovic - PeerSpot reviewer
    Director of Sales at S4E Serbia
    Reseller
    Provides good visibility, integrates well, and is agentless
    • "The most important feature is that this solution is agentless. So, you don't have to install any agents on endpoints."
    • "The integration between Portnox CORE and Portnox CLEAR can be better. These are two different systems, and there is no unique console for both devices. Portnox CORE is agentless, whereas Portnox CLEAR is not agentless."

How has it helped my organization?

We did a proof of concept for some customers, and it was really easy to install. It was done during production. They were satisfied because it is agentless, and they didn't have to bother or interrupt other users.

What is most valuable?

Its installation is relatively easy and straightforward. It can be done without disrupting the end-users.

The end-users love the visibility. They get insights into the devices or endpoint devices that are on their work.

What needs improvement?

The integration between Portnox CORE and Portnox CLEAR can be better. These are two different systems, and there is no unique console for both devices. Portnox CORE is agentless, whereas Portnox CLEAR is not agentless.

Its license policy can be a bit improved. There is no perpetual license.

We have been working with Portnox CORE for two and a half years.

It is stable.

It is very scalable. One virtual machine or virtual server can cover about 10,000 endpoints, which is enough for Serbia.

We did interact with them. It was direct support. They were very good. They were very fast, dependable, and available. We got a very fast response.

It is simple.

I didn't compare it recently, but I know that we were comparing it about two years ago with other solutions, such as Forescout. This was the only solution that had on-premise and cloud versions. Portnox is agentless, but I don't know if other solutions are also agentless. I know that Cisco is not agentless, and that's an advantage that Portnox has over Cisco.

Portnox also has an integration with Palo Alto Networks WildFire. When there is a raised level of activity of malware on Palo Alto Networks WildFire, it triggers something on Portnox. Its integration with other solutions was also a strong point.

What other advice do I have?

We are very satisfied with this solution. We like it because it is agentless.

I would rate it a nine out of ten.