Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

JumpCloud OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

JumpCloud is #1 ranked solution in top Active Directory Bridge tools and #6 ranked solution in top Identity and Access Management as a Service providers. PeerSpot users give JumpCloud an average rating of 8.8 out of 10. JumpCloud is most commonly compared to Azure Active Directory (Azure AD): JumpCloud vs Azure Active Directory (Azure AD). JumpCloud is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 44% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 29% of all views.
JumpCloud Buyer's Guide

Download the JumpCloud Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is JumpCloud?

JumpCloud is an open directory platform for secure, frictionless access from any device to any resource, anywhere. JumpCloud’s mission is to Make Work Happen®, providing simple, secure access to corporate technology resources from any device, or any location. The JumpCloud Directory Platform gives IT, security operations, and DevOps a single, cloud-based solution to control and manage employee identities, their devices, and apply Zero Trust principles. JumpCloud has a global user base of more than 100,000 organizations, with over 3,000 customers including Cars.com, GoFundMe, Grab, ClassPass, Uplight, Beyond Finance, and Foursquare. JumpCloud is backed by BlackRock, General Atlantic, OpenView, and Foundry Group.

JumpCloud Customers

Cars.com, GoFundMe, Grab, ClassPass, Uplight, Beyond Finance, Foursquare

JumpCloud Video

JumpCloud Pricing Advice

What users are saying about JumpCloud pricing:
  • "The cost of the solution is approximately $12 per user. However, the cost depends on what modules you're using. They have an all-in-one package and they do have tiers. For example, the more users you have, the cheaper it ends up being in the end too. I know they've done some changes to the pricing model and I haven't been involved in a lot of the licensing lately. I don't know the exact cost at this time."
  • "We are using an enterprise license for JumpCloud. We have purchased a license for approximately $3,000 a year, but we are charged more than $135,000 annually."
  • "The pricing is all on the JumpCloud website. It's not hidden, you don't have to go through a show me a quote type procedure. The pricing is straightforward to understand."
  • "The pricing model changed about 18 months ago. It used to be that you got 10 users free, and then you paid for any user above 10 users. Now, when you go above 10 users, you pay for every user. It has become a bit more expensive, but it's such a good product. When you take into account Microsoft licenses, if you were to run Active Directory, you'd need a server to put it on, or you would need a couple of servers, backup, etc. It's a no-brainer. JumpCloud is so much easier to manage from my perspective, regardless of the cost increase. It's just brilliant."
  • "Licensing cost can be anywhere between $2 and $18 a month depending on what you want to do."
  • JumpCloud Reviews

Aaron D Geister - PeerSpot reviewer
    Atlassian Administrator at MarkForged, Inc.
    Reseller
    Leaderboard
    Beneficial centralized management, highly scalability, and responsive support
    • "Some of the most valuable features of Jumpcloud have been the use of the policies. They have been very helpful. There are modules in there for policies where you can create your own which indirectly are GPOs similar to what you have for Microsoft environments, however, they are only doing registry changes. They are very powerful and useful. Additionally, having your directory and SSO in one spot is another thing that they provide in application management. Adding, removing, and updating applications are in one place for desktop administration."
    • "The querying for users in Jumpcloud could be improved, it is sometimes difficult to use. When you're trying to query a user and you spell out their name, you don't receive that person. Sometimes you receive a list of people with the same first name or last name. This could be better."

What is our primary use case?

Jumpcloud is used for single sign-on (SSO), cloud directory, authentication radius, which I use in multiple places in multiple cases, VPN radius, and network radius. The largest portion would be the directory, it is substituting the need to use the Microsoft typical environment or the Linux environment for the directory. It used to be the only two directory providers available, the Linux side or Microsoft Active Directory(AD). Now there are OneLogin, Okta, and JumpCloud competing with them and they are all cloud-based.

How has it helped my organization?

Jumpcloud has benefited our organization by showing us we don't have to have a Microsoft environment. If you're a Google shop, you can receive similar security that you would have in an Active Directory environment and more, because you have that radius built-in, you don't have to create other servers. You have the convenience of the day-to-day management of endpoints and users, which is all in one place because it does keep track of your devices and your users. Jumpcloud is a little bit more simple than using Microsoft, the simplicity of using it is a large benefit.

What is most valuable?

Some of the most valuable features of Jumpcloud have been the use of the policies. They have been very helpful. There are modules in there for policies where you can create your own which indirectly are GPOs similar to what you have for Microsoft environments, however, they are only doing registry changes. They are very powerful and useful. Additionally, having your directory and SSO in one spot is another thing that they provide in application management. Adding, removing, and updating applications are in one place for desktop administration.

There are some key features that aren't there that would be possible with an RMM solution, but Jumpcloud is not meant to be an RMM, it's more centered around the directory, radius, and SSO. There are other features available, such as the integration with dual security which is really good. It produces a lot of functions, there are multiple functions and modules that you're using. There are plenty of features that are beneficial, such as insight reporting.

What needs improvement?

The querying for users in Jumpcloud could be improved, it is sometimes difficult to use. When you're trying to query a user and you spell out their name, you don't receive that person. Sometimes you receive a list of people with the same first name or last name. This could be better.

We had a feature board at one time for requests for features to Jumpcloud. I know Jumpcloud is not an RMM tool, but I think it's very close. It's close to being your whole IT department's one-stop shop. The only thing they're missing is a remote connection tool to its endpoints, alert, and monitoring.

I want to be able to build my own package deployments and then run them for updates and some other operations. They have good capabilities, but you can't host your files. I would like them to either drop the file limitation or increase it to larger file sizes. This would allow us to be able to host and build out strictly from JumpCloud because right now you have to have an S3 bucket or some other place to load the file data from to do it. Whenever you're scripting, it can be a headache to have to deal with. It would be a large benefit if they allowed us to host our files on their system for deployment.

JumpCloud
    September 2022
    Learn what your peers think about JumpCloud. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2022.
    634,590 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I have been using JumpCloud for approximately three years.

They went through a tough year this year with infrastructure and having some large outages. For any SaaS company, stability is the most important aspect of the business, they are a stable solution, but they should be more stable. A couple of years ago Microsoft had a bad infrastructure year and we had a lot of outages. In that year, Google had none. It can start to weigh down the company, I had to make a choice, do I choose Google because I have fewer infrastructure issues and have more stability or something else. Whenever you're faced with this type of issue, you have to make decisions and this is a priority for most users. Do are less concerned about new features, we want a solution that is very stable that we can count on. We know that most of the vendors have outages, but if you asked customers if they would rather have 10 new features or more stability, they would choose stability.

Stability is the most important aspect for anybody in the cloud right now. For us to keep pushing SaaS solutions, and sell SaaS them. Vendor stability is important and what do they deliver to customers as SLA for uptime matters.

The stability ofJumpcloud has become better. We still get notifications when there are issues, but every SaaS company has issues. Jumpcloud has taken this into consideration. We have a direct relationship with the CEO and some of the people that are right below him. I had a direct relationship with him from my business, and from knowing that they took our one-on-ones very seriously is a good thing. They will jump on a call with us even though we are a small client,  and it does not matter the size of our business or what we're contributing to in the world they will take their time to jump on a call and listen to our worries or concerns. They're very personal with their customers. It doesn't matter what level they are in the business, they will engage with you to make things better. When it came to stability, when we voiced our concerns, they listened. The stability has drastically improved.

The scalability of Jumpcloud is amazing. You could have a small business, such as I have, and you could grow over 500 people overnight, and it operates perfectly.

I've had businesses use this solution that was well into the enterprise level, which is usually considered a thousand or more users, and it works just as well as if there are 200.

The technical support from Jumpcloud is great. Everyone that I worked with walked me through whatever issues I had or found a root cause with me to be able to remediate. I've always had a good experience with them and they are fairly fast with their response. The support was good when I was on a free tier when my business first started to get off the ground. I would say that they were very responsive, even though I wasn't on a paid support tier. That shows a lot from their company that they do care about customers, even if they're only recently breaking into the industry.

When I started my business, I did was using purely Google for a while. I have sold and administrated Microsoft for three years prior. I have used OES, OneLogin, and Okta. I've used a lot of different systems that do a lot of the same thing.

I ended up settling with JumpCloud because of their ease of use and simple management. I could have 10 clients in my MTP, the place I go for management looks the same, everything I do is easily navigatable because everybody's console looks the same. Ease of management and ease of learning are two of the most valuable selling points. You don't have to have a Bachelor's IT degree to be able to use and learn Jumpcloud. They have a university and very good documentation, they've documented their system very well. They have videos for training out there which makes everything simple. If you're looking at an OES, Microsoft, or any other environment, you have to dig into the documentation, you have to do an intensive search for the answers. The age of those older environments is almost going to be gone soon with SaaS. Services, such as JumpCloud, Okta, or OneLogin are making everything more simple.

Jumpcloud is one of the easiest management tools for an environment to set up. However, any SSO is not easy. The APIs and the different portions of SSO authentication and what you need can be a challenge, but it's 10 times easier to implement than having to set up a Microsoft environment.

If you are a new business it is the easiest tool to get your company going. If you're a small to medium-size business, if you start configuring it while you're a small business, it grows with the business well.

You can usually have a complete environment set up in a day's work easily. However, it can depend on many factors. For example, if you are using all the modules or the base modules, such as directory, users, and SSO. The environment that which it is implemented matters a lot. Many aspects can increase the difficulty level, such as the number of users, and how many desktops. I set up my business in less than two days or a day and a half.

Jumpcloud takes care of most of the maintenance on their end. I do environmental maintenance, such as patching all of the desktop systems. Jumpcloud has the capability to do patching, it does it for you. As far as updates,  the only thing you have to keep track of is your certs. For example, if you have certs with your SSO information or your radius that you're receiving notifications on, you're remediating and updating those as often as they come through. They are either yearly or bi-yearly. The overall maintenance for Jumpcloud is similar to a typical IT functional system where there is upkeep and you have to make sure you clean up old users that have been removed or lost access.

There's a little maintenance, but I wouldn't say it's heavy. A Microsoft environment is a lot harder to keep track of and maintain than Jumpcloud. I'm not trying to pick on Microsoft, it's the only thing to compare it to. Nobody's using OES anymore on the Linux side. The next biggest competitor is probably Okta, and they have a  different landscape from Okta. Okta and JumpCloud are both awesome. They both have their plus and minuses.

The cost of the solution is approximately $12 per user. However, the cost depends on what modules you're using. They have an all-in-one package and they do have tiers. For example, the more users you have, the cheaper it ends up being in the end too. I know they've done some changes to the pricing model and I haven't been involved in a lot of the licensing lately. I don't know the exact cost at this time.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others wanting to implement Jumpcloud would be for them to be involved with their representative. All of the people have been very helpful at JumpCloud, and they'll usually help you find the answers you're looking for, such as use case scenarios. They have a JumpCloud lounge, Slack channel and it has been one of the best resources because you have manyJumpCloud administrators that are doing the same thing you do daily. If you can't find an answer, you have peers that have experienced it that can help.

When Jumpcloud has an outage or when they have system issues, in the JumpCloud lounge, information is reported very fast and their status page is updated quickly. The whole environment that they have there, is very humble and they're customer service based on helping people out as much as possible. It is important to stay involved with the community, stay involved with your representative and enjoy the solution. It is an awesome software to use.

I rate Jumpcloud a ten out of ten.

I'm not married to any software. There are many different options out there, you have to find what's best for your scenario. This solution is great, the ease of management and all the opportunity of administration that it has in it, it is one of the best solutions out there, next to Okta.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
    Senior Executive at a wellness & fitness company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Leaderboard
    Simple management, highly secure, and no maintenance needed
    • "Azure Cloud services are on time and run well and if we use a JumpCloud, the benefits we receive are the ease of management and the solution is completely user-friendly. End users can do identity management easily."
    • "JumpCloud could improve by providing more features. They are only giving the three standard features, such as SSO radius. I would like there to be multi-tenant features. For example, my colleague is from a different organization, and he's using different applications and I'm using different applications, I wanted to access his applications and database with my JumpCloud credentials. However, since it is a multi-tenant instance. I would like it to be open-ended where we can gather all these multi-level organizations to put in a single domain to access one authentication for all the different applications."

What is our primary use case?

We are using JumpCloud to provide services, such as identity, access management, access control to customers.

We can import the other users from directories, such as G Suite and Microsoft Azure, or we can do the entry of the users normally. We can control them by giving pseudo access or normal access. For example, how we manage the users from the Azure Active Directory.

If I compare our JumpCloud to Amazon AWS, we can have 20 percent of the services that we are using on the JumpCloud.

We can bind our G Suite directory and we can import any users whenever we want. The license depends on the number of users that we onboarded to JumpCloud or imported to JumpCloud. The user group benefits from applying the policies based on the user group. We have a JumpCloud package where we install it to the end-users system to see the logs of the system, to control if the machine's system has been lost by the user.

What is most valuable?

Azure Cloud services are on time and run well and if we use a JumpCloud, the benefits we receive are the ease of management and the solution is completely user-friendly. End users can do identity management easily.

Policies are created, we can apply them, and the agent acts as a domain. These are all the easiest aspects that we can do from JumpCloud. We can log in from an email for our devices, and we can have no restrictions. JumpCloud is highly secure.

I found the most valuable feature in JumpCloud to be Radius because most of the use cases, such as Amazon AWS, and if I compare this to JumpCloud, the only feature that stands out the most for authentication is Radius. When we use Azure, if we try to log in more than three times, we will be logged out and it will cache the IP address and the passwords, but JumpCloud will not do it. If we try a number of wrong attempts, it allows us to use other devices while logging the devices. Radius authentication means we use the same password to log in to the WiFi network. It is very easy to configure JumpCloud features in our firewall.

What needs improvement?

There needs to be better device control. When it comes to a Mac device, it's very secure unless we add the agent on full then we cannot control it. When we do the scripts or automation from our side with the end-user system, I want to control everything from the JumpCloud, such as logs, because I wanted to know what is happening in the user's system to see if something is lost.

JumpCloud should improve the amount of storage offered. We should have cloud storage of at least  5 GB or 10 GB because, in our public IDs, such as GCP or in our public ID manager S3 bucket, they're giving us 10 GB of cloud.

I have been using JIRA Service Management for approximately two years.

If we deploy JumpCloud based on a complete stable plan we are pine to deploy. But when it comes to the performance, Of course. So if we keep achieving Our daily targeted plans, week targeted, or month targeted plans, be achieving, stable-wise. The performance will be stable.

We have more than 8,000 employees that we are migrating to JumpCloud. We have onboarded 2,000 clients. We have API holdings where we are controlling six different levels of organizations with more than 11,000 employees.

JumpCloud is a scalable solution. Where we can provision or deprovision the solution it is scalable and easy to do.

We are using JumpCloud every hour and every minute because JumpCloud senior executives are in my current organization. I will be responsible for every user and every G Suite activation sync. In case we delete any one single ID that will be suspended on the G Suite, or Azure, or any other territories that we included. all the applications that are constantly suspended. I'm the person who's taking care of the complete strength of the users, as I am observing on my own browser who are logged out and who have reset their password. I can see the logs of complete users on every system that are logged in the JumpCloud console. In case they're not able to log in, I'll directly call them, then they forward the password and we do the reset. We're just trying to help them but the maintenance is not needed,  based on the notification that we have configured, we will be receiving a notification, such as this user is logged out, they need a rest, or is not able to log in to this system.

The procedure we follow to implement this solution in the scenario of one organization ff half a thousand plus employees. I am going to meet all HR staff, and whatever other departments they have. Based on the department and head of the departments, I will collect all the details, such as what are the stages of the application. That is the first step because we have to give an authentication on the first basis, based on the applications and we speak to the network team, about whether we can integrate the Radius.

We will start the system then onboard the teams one by one. We first test the busiest team and we end with the HR or administration teams last. Based on the onboard of all the users stored in the cloud, we can now have control. We have to create the SOPs, and demo sessions to share with the users. This implementation makes identification easier.

The number of people used to implement the solution depends on the strengths of the people that we have in the organization.

If there are 500 users and under, I can control it on my own, but if it is more than 500 I need a team. I have to build a team to do it which will be of two to three people.

For the complete implementation, we may need at least six months but it depends on the user's strength, and how they react with their department heads.

When I'm doing an implementation, I'll explain everything to the end-user. "This is what I'm doing, and this is how it works, and this is how it helps you." users will understand in case any issues come, they will reach out to us, we will help them.

I have not seen a return on investment from JumpCloud.

We are using an enterprise license for JumpCloud. We have purchased a license for approximately $3,000 a year, but we are charged more than $135,000 annually.

There are no additional costs but we have to pay per ID we have.

What other advice do I have?

I am a senior executive, and I manage the complete identity of users. I am providing the access to all the users and I control the devices and URLs.

When it comes to cloud maintenance, we are not maintaining anything related to the server, cloud-related, or network-related  This is because the JumpCloud is hosted on the Amazon AWS. When it comes to JumpCloud, there is no maintenance needed. Everything will be a notification if a user logged out and their password is expired. We have a policy for everyone to follow and it is complex and strict. The users have to follow it. Before implementing anything, we will be informing the users they have policies on their system to follow.

I would recommend JumpCloud to others if they have Microsoft Azure already with a subscription or if you have an Amazon AWS, then you do not need JumpCloud. However, when we are looking for an easy level of identity management, I can suggest that, using JumpCloud. In JumpCloud we should see the end number of users, how many strengths we have first. For users over 500, we cannot use JumpCloud, we can use the G Suite only. When it comes to more than a thousand then we can use JumpCloud. Additionally, if they're using many applications JumpCloud is suitable.

Instead of providing the G Suite, we can provide it with JumpCloud. The organization, which has more applications, or more networks. For example, when it comes to branches if I own an organization and I have branches in a different city and I have branches in 100 cities. I will be using different locations, and IP addresses, we cannot use radius. When it comes to single organizations, such as a Google company that is sitting in a single place, in those places we can use a JumpCloud for a radius. In case we have automation, we can use JumpCloud. It can be very useful.

I would recommend this solution.

I rate JumpCloud an eight out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
    JumpCloud
    September 2022
    634,590 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Brian Reichow - PeerSpot reviewer
    President/Owner at Escape
    Time saving, effective cloud directory and single sign-on authentication, with rapid implementation
    • "As a cloud-based directory, JumpCloud allows me to integrate nearly every system I have come across that supports SAML 2.0. That's a specific technology that allows different services to integrate for user authentication and identification purposes. That means that with JumpCloud, I can then have one single password. Single sign-on for a particular user that works with VPN, radius authentication for WiFi, logging into Office 365, and their email. Their individual computers use that same password. It's extensible which allows us to tie in customers' security systems. We don't have to provision a new user, 12 different places with 12 different passwords. I only have to create them once and assign them privileges."
    • "JumpCloud can improve in its synchronization of identities. More specifically, groups with Office 365. They've been working on it, but it's not where I would necessarily like it to be."

What is our primary use case?

My customer base is primarily small businesses. I define "small business" as companies with fewer than 100 employees. However, that does not mean that JumpCloud is only applicable to that specific use case. It's just how we have been using it. It is a cloud-based directory that essentially allows you to replace completely on-premise Active Directory or other LDAP directories. All our customer identities originate from JumpCloud.

How has it helped my organization?

JumpCloud has simplified the way we create and manage users' accounts and privileges. If there's an employee separation, I need to be able to shut down access immediately. I don't want to have to go through 12 dashboards to do it. I can go into JumpCloud and I can hit one big switch and they're done. When a user is disabled in JumpCloud, all applications and services that have been integrated with JumpCloud automatically disable the user in question. (VPN, Wi-Fi, Office 365, various cloud applications, security systems, file servers, local machine logins, etc.)

What is most valuable?

As a cloud-based directory, JumpCloud allows me to integrate nearly every system I have come across that supports SAML 2.0, a technology that allows different services to integrate for user authentication and identification purposes. With JumpCloud, each user has a single username and password that works for VPN, radius authentication for WiFi, logging into Office 365 (email), and their individual computers. It's extensible via hundreds of premade application integrations. We don't have to provision a new user, 12 different places with 12 different passwords. I only have to create them once and assign them privileges.

JumpCloud has made continuous, noticeable improvements in the feature set of the solution. Recent major improvements have focused on equipment inventory, mobile device management (MDM), and fleet reporting.

What needs improvement?

JumpCloud could improve in its synchronization of groups with Office 365. They've been working on it, but it's not where I would necessarily like it to be.

The user identities synchronize fine, but the groups are a little different. There are situations where I'm having to create groups in Office 365 because I can't make them in JumpCloud and have them synchronize. If this was possible, I wouldn't have to go into the Office 365 dashboard for user management as much as I do.

I would like to see the continued addition of premade integrations with various cloud applications and services. There are hundreds of them in the solution currently, but there could always be more.

I have been using JumpCloud for approximately two years.

I have had no problems with the service in the two years I've used it, it is highly stable. I have heard that they have had some outages but they have not caused a problem with any of my environments.

The scalability of JumpCloud is great. I see no reason why this solution couldn't be used easily for up to 500 users or beyond that. I'm working with companies that are fewer than 100 and I have no problem thinking that this is scalable with where my customers are going in the next several years.

I have contacted the technical and integration teams from JumpCloud, and
    both teams are top-notch. Any time that I have needed to have a general operation question answered or because something didn't seem to be working right, their technical support team has been great. Most of the time it is just a matter of confusion on my part rather than actually something not working. The integration team is the group you engage with a particular service or cloud application doesn't already have an integration written for it.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

There are several services that do what JumpCloud does, but few that do it as well as them. I think that JumpCloud and Okta are easily the most mature solutions. We could see that on-premise LDAP/Active Directory was not where the future was headed, and chose JumpCloud after an extensive period of in-house testing and determining that the feature set was the most in line in our customers' needs. JumpCloud was the first and only cloud directory service we deployed. All our customers went directly from on-premise LDAP directories straight to JumpCloud.

JumpCloud has an incredible ability to allow users to start using the service in little to no time. It's the a huge selling point. You can have JumpCloud up and running in under half an hour. It will adopt existing machines and identities. You can pull them in from Office 365 or from other LDAP sources.

My first rollout of this solution was in the spring of 2020 and as anxious as I was going through the process in a production environment, it was simple. I did not have a single problem.

I did the implementation of the solution.

There is no maintenance required. You set up the solution and go. There's no updating or patching. It's all automatically done for you behind the scenes. I'm a managed service provider -- I want to set up a solution and forget about it. I want it to always work.

The amount of work that JumpCloud saves it pays for the solution easily.

The cost of the solution depends on two things -- (1) whether you're going a la carte or buying the "JumpCloud Platform", and (2) whether you're paying a year in advance, or paying monthly. However, in most cases (even the smallest companies), the Platform option is the right way to go, and costs between $15 and $17 per user, per month. It's worth every penny. The price of the solution has increased over the last two years but is still reasonable. You can pay extra for upgraded technical support resources.

JumpCloud's pricing is right on their website. You don't have to go through a "email me a quote" type procedure. The pricing is straightforward to understand.

I rate the price of JumpCloud a four out of five.

We looked into Okta. JumpCloud was a better fit, primarily because of the JumpCloud agent for Mac and Windows.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others is not to be afraid and try the solution out. It is worth it.

I rate JumpCloud a nine out of ten.

There's always room for improvement, regardless of how good the solution is.

Richard Hickson - PeerSpot reviewer
    Founder & Managing Director at HelpFully IT
    A rock-solid product with fantastic device management and single sign-on capabilities
    • "The whole product is great. The device management is amazing. The fact that you can basically set up an entire machine without having the machine in front of you is most valuable."
    • "The capability to get alerts would be great when CPU or RAM is high on an endpoint, or when a disk is failing. It would be great to get an alert rather than having to go looking for it."

What is our primary use case?

I use JumpCloud across a whole bunch of different clients to manage their devices, to manage their users, and to manage their third-party applications through single sign-on.

It's a SaaS product.

How has it helped my organization?

In a remote world, it has made my life a lot easier. When people were in the office, you could use Active Directory, but we moved to JumpCloud just before COVID kicked in. It gave us the capability to continue managing machines without them having to check into the office.

I can set a machine up easily. I can send someone a new machine, and they boot it up. I give them a couple of instructions, and then it hands the machine over to me. I can configure the machine remotely by using policies and commands through JumpCloud.

What is most valuable?

The single sign-on capabilities are very helpful. If someone leaves the business, at the click of a button, you can literally disable their account for everything.

What needs improvement?

It would be handy to have an MDM for Windows devices. It seems to be on their roadmap. They support Windows devices on the platform, but we should be able to wipe the machine and do other similar things through MDM.

I've been using JumpCloud for about six years. I use it every day.

It has been rock solid for what I need it for. They had a few outages late last year, but they didn't affect my clients or me. So, as far as I'm concerned, it has been rock solid.

It is easy to scale. You just enroll more machines and more users. You get billed monthly on a high point of the number of users that you've got. So, it's fairly flexible.

It is used by small, medium, and large companies. It is suitable for all of them.

It has always been brilliant. Whenever I've had to contact JumpCloud for any reason, they've come back to me straight away. In six years, I've had to contact them three or four times, and each time, the issue was resolved relatively quickly and easily. There has not been too much difficulty with it.

It depends on what you're using at the moment. From my point of view, when I deployed JumpCloud for one of my clients, it was a case of getting the users into the JumpCloud platform and then enrolling their machines and tying the two together. So, it was relatively straightforward, but I understand that some deployments can be more complicated, such as if you're using Azure AD, etc. They're not impossible, but they just need a bit more planning than if you're using standalone machines.

The number of people required for deployment depends on how many end users you're deploying it to. I've deployed it for a bunch of different companies. Some of the companies had 70 people, and I did it on my own.

It generally takes half an hour per machine. The duration depends on how many machines you've got, what state the machines are in, and whether the machines need updating or anything like that.

It's a SaaS product. It doesn't require any specific maintenance. The agent updates itself on all the machines, and it just keeps everything up to date on its own.

It has become a bit more expensive, but it's such a good product. When you take into account Microsoft licenses, if you were to run Active Directory, you'd need a server to put it on, or you would need a couple of servers, backup, etc. It's a no-brainer. JumpCloud is so much easier to manage from my perspective, regardless of the cost increase. It's just brilliant.

There are different tiers of this product, but the base product, called JumpCloud Core, is what I use with most of my clients. It suits us down to the ground.

When we first started looking at JumpCloud, we took a demo on Okta. At the time, JumpCloud did a lot more than what Okta did, which was why we went with JumpCloud.

Device management was one of the reasons for going for JumpCloud. Okta was very much for the cloud and single sign-on, and you couldn't manage the devices, whereas JumpCloud actually managed the end-user devices. You could enforce encryption and other similar things, which Okta didn't let you do at the time. It probably does that now because we're six years on, but back then, it didn't.

What other advice do I have?

Don't hesitate. Just do it. It is just fantastic.

I would rate it a nine out of 10. It does everything I need it to. It is a great product. It is not missing too much.

IT Specialist at a financial services firm with 11-50 employees
    Leaderboard
    Provides great visibility and the ability to integrate all applications
    • "Ability to integrate all applications."
    • "Lacks the ability to have various VPN applications."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of JumpCloud is for managing everything on your files, Apple or Android devices, and Windows devices. We are a start-up bank and JumpCloud provides us with an all-in-one directory and solution for the management of our fleet and SaaS applications. I'm an IT specialist and we are customers of JumpCloud.

How has it helped my organization?

The product provides great visibility over all transactions including identity, authentications, and directory insight. This has helped us a lot in terms of zero-trust security as everything was widely integrated into the zero-trust platform.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the ability of the product to integrate all applications. It also performs on Okta. This is a one-stop solution for having a single sign-on and being able to integrate your Microsoft 365 and Google Workspace, and then streamlining the onboarding and offboarding. With one click, you can offboard a user and all the integrations are automatically stopped. If there are any SaaS applications that are not single sign-on and are integrated on JumpCloud with SAML authentication, it's automatically integrated. If you are using JumpCloud as your laptop manager and you suspend the account, those devices will automatically cut off. It's a very effective system. In terms of our IT admin, the solution is extensive, presentable, and easy to use.

What needs improvement?

We initially had some issues with FileBot while locating users' keys; they were not immediately visible and customer support wasn't able to solve the problem. There are quite a lot of things in the MDM that need to be improved and, in general, there is some detail lacking in the solution. JumpCloud offers many solutions within the product but they are not generally well developed. When we tried using their MDM solution, we were not able to completely manage our Apple devices. We eventually switched to Jamf. We were able to import VPNs into the profiles of all remote workers but the solution doesn't provide the ability to have various VPN applications.

I would like to see some additional features in terms of software where we'd be able to pass credentials to the auditor and see all the activities in the account. In terms of conditional access, we need more refined policies and control over conditional access.

I've been using this solution for seven months.

I would say it's a stable solution. It's one-touch, frictionless, prevents unauthorized access and brings a zero-trust security model to your platform. I believe this is very stable. Maintenance was carried out using JumpCloud infrastructure, there's not much involved. It's on a monthly basis for one hour and is straightforward. It didn't affect performance.

JumpCloud is very scalable with the cloud infrastructure. We now have around 50 users, all the executives of the company, HR, marketing, and the sales team.

Technical support was not good in the beginning but it has improved recently.

The deployment is pretty straightforward. You can choose between loading a device or integrating with Workspace. We chose to integrate our Google Workspace environment. I carried out the deployment with my security manager and it took us seven days. We started with a seven-day trial, testing a sandbox environment to make sure it was right for us and then moved straight into it. It was great.

The pricing of JumpCloud is very reasonable. We opted for it because we were a startup with a small budget with 15 employees so we couldn't go with any of the expensive options. We needed a cloud directory and conditional access policies and JumpCloud offered that at a reasonable cost. Licensing costs were around $15 per user per month.

JumpCloud offers different packages depending on your requirements. The cost can be as low as $2 per user per month if you're looking for a simple cloud directory. For each feature, you add another couple of dollars. We opted for the JumpCloud platform, the complete solution, which provides access to all the applications; device management, a single sign-on platform, and the MFAs.

What other advice do I have?

The value of the solution depends upon a company's infrastructure. If you are a startup with a low budget, then go for JumpCloud. If you're a large company, then there are better solutions out there. I learned a lot in terms of managing the MDM fleet where we actually used Jamf and Kandji and Mosyle. These solutions were pretty robust whereas JumpCloud didn't have much variety in the features we used, it was quite limited.

Given the extra features and great price, I rate this solution eight out of 10.

Jamin Thomas - PeerSpot reviewer
    IT Manager at Institute for Human Services
    Leaderboard
    Has a clean, user-friendly interface and allows staff to work from any location world wide
    • "The interface is clean and user-friendly. Setting up new devices or setting up new users inside the system is easy. Also, it integrates with Office 365, which is pretty much a must for our organization."
    • "I would like to see some support for printers, especially network printers, through the application."

What is our primary use case?

It's a serverless environment. If you don't need Active Directory servers or print servers set up, you can use JumpCloud in lieu of having a server.

We use it for identity management and device management. It integrates with Office 365 and allows you to securely manage your devices, whether they are Windows, Mac, or Linux.

How has it helped my organization?

JumpCloud has allowed our organization to go completely serverless so that there is no need to be linked to a server in the office. This, along with Office 365, has allowed the organization to have staff who can work from anywhere, whether it's from home, a different state, or even a different country.

What is most valuable?

JumpCloud has a lot of functions and features that work for rolling out policies to different devices.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see some support for printers, especially network printers, through the application.  Active Directory allows for the adding and publishing of networked Printers through GPOs.  As far as I’m aware, JumpCloud only allows network printer adds through Powershell or command line scripting.

My organization has been using JumpCloud for about two years.

Stability wise, I have not experienced any downtime with the system. It has been 100% reliable so far.

I believe JumpCloud could scale up pretty high, but I've only had experience scaling down. I started up with about 40-45 users on the system, and I have scaled down to about 10-15 right now.

I'm not sure how high it can scale up, but I could easily see 100-500 users through the system. I'm not sure if it goes higher than that, but it does not seem like it would be a problem at all.

Active Directory on a Microsoft server was previously utilized.

We switched because of the flexibility provided by JumpCloud with regard to where staff could work from. We did not have to be tied down to a server in the office.

Also, the age of the server in the office was another reason. It was either time to upgrade the server or to move to something new.

It is pretty easy and simple to set up, so I would rate it at four on a scale from one to five. They have excellent documentation and plenty of how-to videos on YouTube.

I rolled out to about 40 devices over a period of a week on my own, working around staff schedules. However, you could roll it out sooner if you had the manpower. Usually, though, it takes a few days.

Maintenance is minimal. You set your policies for updates, and JumpCloud takes care of it. I've had zero issues with keeping up with patching.

Licensing cost can be anywhere between $2 and $18 a month depending on what you want to do.

What other advice do I have?

Do your research on the product and figure out if it's going to be a solution that your organization is going to utilize, and make sure it's right for your company.

You can try JumpCloud for free. You can try it on one device or up to 10 devices for free without signing up.

I would rate JumpCloud at ten on a scale from one to ten because of the price, ease of implementation, availability of information regarding implementation, such as videos and articles, and scalability. It's easy to go up or down as per the needs of the organization.

Eduardo Zagal - PeerSpot reviewer
    General Manager and Partner at B2Tech
    Useful policy management, flexible, and useful documentation
    • "The most valuable features of JumpCloud are flexibility, policy management for devices, and device patch management. For example, we can limit access to devices only in Chile or send a number of commands to the devices to manage them."
    • "JumpCloud could improve the compatibility with other devices and operating systems. For example, the solution only works well with Mac and some Linux devices. It does not work for mobile devices, such as Android."

What is our primary use case?

JumpCloud is a zero-trust network access solution. We are focused principally on the public health sector. We use the solution in conjunction with Amazon AWS, Microsoft Azure, or other cloud providers.

We use JumpCloud to manage our teams' access with a single sign-on and by applying policies to their devices. This is a solution that helps integrate one with the other.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of JumpCloud are flexibility, policy management for devices, and device patch management. For example, we can limit access to devices only in Chile or send a number of commands to the devices to manage them.

What needs improvement?

In the next release, the solution could be more integrations with other solutions without the need for heavy configurations.

I have been using JumpCloud for approximately one year.

JumpCloud is stable.

The scalable of JumpCloud is very good.

I have not had the need to contact the support. The support material online is very useful. They have an online forum that is helpful that I have used if I need help.

The initial setup of JumpCloud is easy and flexible. There are tutorial videos available to teach how to deploy.

What other advice do I have?

I rate JumpCloud a nine out of ten.

Download our free JumpCloud Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: September 2022