Fortinet FortiNAC OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Fortinet FortiNAC is the #4 ranked solution in top Network Access Control (NAC) tools. PeerSpot users give Fortinet FortiNAC an average rating of 7.4 out of 10. Fortinet FortiNAC is most commonly compared to Cisco ISE (Identity Services Engine): Fortinet FortiNAC vs Cisco ISE (Identity Services Engine). Fortinet FortiNAC is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 54% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 19% of all views.
Fortinet FortiNAC Buyer's Guide

Download the Fortinet FortiNAC Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is Fortinet FortiNAC?

Fortinet's FortiNAC is a network access control solution that provides visibility, control, and automated response for everything that connects to the network, enhancing the security fabric. FortiNAC protects against Internet of Things (IoT) threats, extends control to third-party devices, and orchestrates automated responses to a variety of networking events.

Using many information and behavior sources, FortiNAC delivers extensive profiling of even headless devices on your network, allowing you to precisely identify what's on your network.

You can change the configurations of switches and wireless equipment from more than 70 vendors to implement micro-segmentation regulations. You can also extend the security fabric's reach in diverse contexts.

With FortiNac, you can respond in seconds to events in your network to stop attacks from spreading. When the relevant behavior is seen, FortiNAC offers a rich and customized set of automation policies that can rapidly trigger configuration changes.

Fortinet FortiNAC Features

Fortinet FortiNAC has many valuable key features. Some of the most useful ones include:

• Agent or agentless (automated) scanning of the network for device detection and classification
  • Generates a list of all the devices on the network.
  • Evaluates the risk of each network endpoint.
  • Consolidates the architecture to make deployment and management easier
  • Gives wide support for third-party network devices to maintain compatibility with current network infrastructure,
  • Automates the process of onboarding a large number of endpoints, users, and visitors.
  • Enables network segmentation and enforces dynamic network access restriction.
  • Reduces the time it takes to contain a problem from days to seconds.
  • Reduces investigation time by reporting events to SIEM with detailed contextual data.

Fortinet FortiNAC Benefits

There are many benefits to implementing DX Spectrum. Some of the biggest advantages the solution offers include:

• Automatic response: FortiNAC will continuously monitor the network, analyzing endpoints to ensure they meet their profile. FortiNAC will rescan devices to verify that MAC-address spoofing does not compromise the security of your network access. FortiNAC can also keep an eye out for unusual traffic patterns. The FortiGate appliances are used in conjunction with this passive anomaly detection. When a compromised or vulnerable endpoint is identified as a threat, FortiNAC initiates a real-time automatic response to confine the endpoint.

• Total device visibility: FortiNAC monitors the entire network and provides total visibility. FortiNAC searches your network for users, applications, and devices. FortiNAC may then profile each element based on observed attributes and reactions, as well as drawing on FortiGuard's IoT Services, a cloud-based database for identification look-ups, using up to 21 distinct techniques.
  • Dynamic network management: Once the devices and users have been identified, FortiNAC allows for extensive network segmentation to allow devices and users access to critical resources while preventing unauthorized access. FortiNAC employs dynamic role-based network access control to conceptually establish network segments by grouping similar applications and data together to restrict access to a certain set of users and/or devices. If a device is compromised in this way, its capacity to travel through the network and target other assets is constrained. FortiNAC assists in the protection of sensitive data and assets while maintaining compliance with internal, industry, and government standards and directives. Assuring the integrity of devices before they join the network reduces the chance of malware spreading.

Reviews from Real Users

Fortinet FortiNAC stands out among its competitors for a number of reasons. Two major ones are its robust network segmentation and its device visibility. PeerSpot users take note of the advantages of these features in their reviews:

A Senior Proposal Manager at a tech services company writes of the solution, “The network segmentation is the most important part of the solution. The integration with the Zero Trust Access solution is a crucial part of segmenting your network.”

Eranjaya K., Security Engineer at Eguardian lanka, notes, “We use Fortinet FortiNAC to receive excellent visibility of our network for traffic and what devices are connected to prevent attacks.” He adds, “I have found Fortinet FortiNAC to be scalable.”

Fortinet FortiNAC was previously known as FortiNAC, Bradford Networks, Bradford Networks Sentry, Network Sentry Family.

Fortinet FortiNAC Customers

Isavia, Pepperdine University, Medical University of South Carolina, Columbia University Medical Center, Utah Valley University

Fortinet FortiNAC Video

Fortinet FortiNAC Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Fortinet FortiNAC pricing:
  • "The price of the license required is based on how many users are going to be using the solution. If you want more users you can upgrade your license."
  • "It's a pricey solution."
  • "For the projects that we do the Fortinet FortiNAC is affordable."
  • Fortinet FortiNAC Reviews

Ahmet Coruk - PeerSpot reviewer
    Co-founder at Korunet
    Account customization, multiple languages available, and effective device blocking
    • "Fortinet FortiNAC has good user account customization."
    • "Integration is hard in Fortinet FortiNAC, but they are evolving and getting better. For example, with Cisco, Aruba, Huawei, and Extreme devices, Fortinet FortiNAC is working properly, but some other devices have problems."

What is our primary use case?

We installed Fortinet FortiNAC in a large company in a VM environment. They have a lot of end-users and complex user account needs. For example, some of the VIPs and different guests all need different access permissions and some of them are connected through the Active Directory credentials which we have to have a portal page for them to gain access.

Another layer of complexity is different users are receiving accounts from many departments. For example, the customer's IT department gives them access and they send the credentials to the guest by email. The IT department can limit their account in different ways, such as only allowing the account access for a period of time.

What is most valuable?

Fortinet FortiNAC has good user account customization.

We can change the logo for the portals to meet the customer's needs. The portal default language is English but it supports all languages, such as Turkish. The portal can be optimized very easily.

Device profiling is a good feature, we can block devices, such as iOS or Android.

Endpoint compliance is a great feature that allows us to restrict and quarantine devices. For example, if a device is not using the latest version of an operating system or antivirus program we can detect it and prohibit their access. If certain conditions are met with the customer's policies, we can let them have access. Otherwise, our endpoints compliance rules block or quarantine their devices on the network.

What needs improvement?

Integration is hard in Fortinet FortiNAC, but they are evolving and getting better. For example, with Cisco, Aruba, Huawei, and Extreme devices, Fortinet FortiNAC is working properly, but some other devices have problems.

I have been using Fortinet FortiNAC for a couple of months.

Fortinet FortiNAC
    November 2022
    Learn what your peers think about Fortinet FortiNAC. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2022.
    654,218 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The solution is stable.

Fortinet FortiNAC can extend your existing network. For example, if you have to put another switch, access point, or another networking device to complete the site we can with one or two clicks add these devices and the same rules and policies. It is highly scalable and can extend your infrastructure.

We currently have two customers using Fortinet FortiNAC

The installation is not straightforward, it can be hard.  The documentation should be better in explaining to process in more detail. The installation requires too much experience and knowledge about network infrastructure. It's not easy, you have to be an expert.

The difficulty level of the installation and time depends on many factors. For example, one of our customer's installations was simple because they only had to block one site and only had one hardware vendor, such as Cisco.

Our second installation was more difficult because the customer had many different hardware vendors, such as Cisco, Huawei, Aruba, and Extreme as part of their infrastructure. This requires configuring different settings on every device, it can be complicated. This can take a lot of time.

We do the implementation and the amount of staff needed depends on the size of the infrastructure and hardware vendors involved. If it is a smaller environment with a single vendor then the process could take two to three days.

If the customer size is very large and they are using the different sites and cities, and many different network infrastructures, the implementation would take time and you would have to manage everything well. When you have a complex network, it can take approximately15 days to implement. The number of vendors they're working with can increase the implementation time duration. If companies only have one vendor, it's easy, but two or three different vendor integration is a little bit harder and takes time.

Customer's needs are very important, because some customers, only want that 1x configuration. However, other customers want 1x configuration, custom portal pages, and many endpoint compliance rules. The more features the more time it will take.

I have evaluated other NAC solutions.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend Fortinet FortiNAC to others because we did evaluate other NAC solutions and this solution is very good compared to the others. The best benefit of Fortinet FortiNAC is the stability and it can work with other vendors. Some NAC products only work with their products and do not support other vendors.

The major benefit I have found is that this solution can work with other products. A customer typically has more than one vendor, such as access points, printers, and other network products. A lot of the other vendors only are working with their products. It's very important for me that Fortinet FortiNAC can work with the other vendors properly and can integrate easily. When I check the Fortinet website, it shows every vendor's details with an explanation about the integration of the Fortinet FortiNAC. For example, you can find out how to integrate the Fortinet FortiNAC with the Cisco wireless controller. I can find the documents, turn to the pages and find all the information I need. I can find it very easily.

I rate Fortinet FortiNAC a nine out of ten.

Head Of Information Technology at Zambia National Building Society
    A simple and logical solution with a very helpful technical support team that is available 24/7
    • "It's a very good solution and one thing I have noted is its simplicity and the ease of the set-up process."
    • "I hope that Fortinet can add a feature with a remediation mechanism when you find a broken piece so that you can click on something and download the needed update or resolve the firewall issue more easily. Currently, we have to use an external remediation server to download updates."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for network access control to ensure that access into our environment, especially our endpoints, is controlled. We have 23 sites in different geographic locations, so we want to make sure that a person can't just sneak into a branch, plug in a device, and connect to the network.

We also want to reduce the risk of connecting endpoints that have vulnerabilities, for an added layer of protection. If you're missing patches of security, you basically have no firewall because those are potential entry points for attackers. We want to control and manage them from a central point so that, if there are any potentially hazardous connections, we are able to block the user but also remediate in the case of Microsoft updates or if updates are missing on their PC.

What is most valuable?

It's a very good solution and one thing I have noted is its simplicity and the ease of the set-up process. Of course, we worked with experts from Fortinet who helped us set it up, but if you look at how easy it is to follow the instructions, like the simplicity of the UI, it's like a daily language. If I want to block an access and I think it should flow a certain way, I can do it that way easily. In other solutions, like maybe Cisco ISE for example, I think you need to be a bit more technical to really understand what you are doing.

What needs improvement?

I hope that Fortinet can add a feature with a remediation mechanism when you find a broken piece so that you can click on something and download the needed update or resolve the firewall issue more easily. Currently, we have to use an external remediation server to download updates. For example, the Kaspersky antivirus was originally built just for threat detection and prevention. Still, they've gone to another level where the solution can point to a vulnerability, and you can click a button to remediate it, and the solution goes and pulls the download and fixes it.

I have been using this solution for three to four months.

So far, from what I have seen, it is a stable solution.

The solution is scalable. When we expand our network, we expand the solution.

Their remote support is great. Plus, there's the fact that they have 24/7 support services, so if we need anything, we're able to get the support that we need.

The initial setup was okay because we had help from the Fortinet experts. It was a new application for us, so obviously, there was lots of learning involved. However, we were able to explain what things needed to happen, and they were able to actually show us, "Okay. That one, we do like this. This one, we can do like that." Also, we had some additional things that weren't included in our environment, and the support engineers were able to provide those solutions for us. We continue to buy more solutions from them that work with what we have procured already, including firewalls, radio servers, and a variety of plug-ins.

We had help from the Fortinet team and we deployed in about two to four weeks. We had a time zone issue because I'm located in Zambia and we needed to be available on this side for them to set up the solution, so we set up Teams meetings to work together online. Also, they offered training to us so that we could get certified to manage the product ourselves.

It's a pricey solution. I don't know if it's maybe because the local partner overcharges me, but when I was researching other solutions, Cisco ISE is cheaper. My current license is about $60,000 to $70,000 thousand, while the equivalent through Cisco would be around $15,000.

What other advice do I have?

It is a brilliant solution. My advice to those looking into the product would be to ensure that you get trained on how to use the solution so that you can fully appreciate and understand how to effectively implement and manage it. Then, secondly, you should do your research on the price. I don't know what the pricing is like from Fortinet, but we are not allowed to deal directly with them so we had to go through a distributor, which increased the price. Sometimes, if there is only one distributor in an area, you can get exploited.

On the technical side, I would rate this solution as a ten out of ten, but I'm not happy with the price, so as a whole, I would rate it as an eight out of ten.

Fortinet FortiNAC
    November 2022
    654,218 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Good for small and medium businesses but needs a lot of improvements, especially with classification and visibility
    • "Version 9.1 has been an improvement on previous versions. It's a good solution for SMB."
    • "Classifications and visibility need to be improved a lot. They have to start work on being agentless. Agentless means they need to have strong integration with Windows."

What is our primary use case?

I was a distributor and system integrator of FortiNAC. We were opening a lot of tickets and there were lots of bugs, so I replaced it with Forescout very easily. Within two days, I replaced everything. With FortiNAC, I was just doing the implementation, making things work properly, and beginning testing after five days.

FortiNAC is deployed on-prem. They're not major enough to be on cloud. Even on-prem is not doing good.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

Any NAC solution has three to four phases. The first phase is discovery and classification. They do discovery, but they are lacking a lot of features in terms of classification. Also, they don't do a lot of classifications. They cannot help you if, for example, you're classifying Windows, and you want to check which Windows version it is, like Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10. It's a little bit difficult. It's not easy like the other products.

Classifications and visibility need to be improved a lot. They have to start work on being agentless. Agentless means they need to have strong integration with Windows. They need to use the RTC. They cannot force people to have an agent for people who are going to the domain. There needs to be compatibility with switches. For any NAC solution, all the inputs will be through switches. So if it is not compatible with switches, this is a big disaster. When I was doing their switches, there were a lot of customers whose switches were not compatible with FortiNAC.

If these things are well-designed, then they can compete in the NAC market. And also in terms of IOT, they cannot discover the IOT things perfectly or the OT, operation technology, things.

In terms of HA, they're having a lot of problems. You just need to put the HA between two clients, and you have a lot of problems. There are problems with the classifications. In terms of control, they're not doing well. They cannot do integration with SCCM, for example. They have a lot of things missing.

I started using FortiNAC since Fortinet bought it in 2018. They bought it with Bradford, and I was one of the few people in Saudi who knows FortiNAC. I have known FortiNAC since it was 7.2, and there were a lot of bugs. Even now, 8 has a lot of bugs.

Now they have jumped to 9.1 and 9.2. I used version 9.1.2. They just changed the dashboard, but it's still agent based. I deeply know what FortiNAC is doing, and it's not doing good. I used to work with them, and then I left. Now, I'm purely working with Forescout technology.

It's not a stable solution. If you want to do the HA, suddenly both appliances will be gone. Both FortiNAC and Forescout are being built on CentOS Linux. Doing HA with FortiNAC, which should be very simple, is just a disaster. I know three customers who are complaining.

I have switched to Forescout because in regards to technology, application, visibility, and control, Forescout is unbelievable. Forescout is a great platform for OT things.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution 5 out of 10.

It's a difficult solution. I used to be the FortiNAC guy, so I will be tough on them. In Saudi, I was the number three FortiNAC guy.

I can recommend FortiNAC for SMBs: small and medium businesses, but they will still suffer. I would recommend Forescout more.

ZaidoonAbuhanak - PeerSpot reviewer
    SALES PRODUCT MANAGER at NOURNET
    Reseller
    Is hard to set up, needs upgrading, and offers unreliable performance
    • "There are some features that are working well."
    • "They need to change or upgrade the technology in the product."

What is most valuable?

There are some features that are working well.

Technical support tries to be helpful, however, they just don't understand the technology.

What needs improvement?

We have tried to do a small POC and it failed.

I had a bad experience with FortiNAC. The customer was asking for a NAC solution. I suggested FortiNAC. The switch with the customer was Cisco and it was not integrated with Cisco. We tried to provide him with a FortiSwitch as the core switch and the solution worked. It's working, however, not the expected way for the customer. The issue is it just doesn't integrate with Cisco switches.

They need to change or upgrade the technology in the product.

The solution is not stable.

We have not been able to scale the product.

It's very hard to set up.

The solution is not stable. We've had some issues with the performance. It hasn't gone well.

The product does not scale.

The technical support is not the greatest. Some of the people need more training in the product. They aren't very helpful.

The technical team from Fortinet, they are working with us. They have supported us. However, the problem is they don't have the knowledge on this product. This is the problem. The support team is good and is the best support team in all the products I work on it. However, the problem is they don't have knowledge about the FortiNAC.

Neutral

It's not easy to set up. In terms of the ease of setup, I'd rate it at a one out of five. It's very difficult.

I'd rate the pricing at a three out of five. It was not expensive, however, it is also not cheap.

I've also looked at HP and compared the two solutions. HP is less expensive, however, it's not a huge difference. We're talking maybe a 1% to 2% difference in price if you compare them. A customer will pay more for HP if they do a POC.

What other advice do I have?

We are a partner and reseller of Fortinet solutions.

We did not have good luck with this product. It didn't work for my client. Maybe it works in other setups better, however, for us, it just was a disaster.

I'd rate the product at a three out of ten.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: PARTNER / INTEGRATOR
    Boller -Anyiine - PeerSpot reviewer
    Security Solutions Architect at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Give you visibility over the IoT devices on the network, and can control as many users as you want, but reporting can use improvement
    • "The most valuable feature of the solution is having visibility over the IoT devices on the network."
    • "The reporting can also use improvement."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is for the visibility of the entire network architecture. It provides visibility to the switches, and routers to see the domain users, contractors, and guest users. It provides network access control, to be able to tell what endpoints are running on the machine, and what windows updates are on the machine. It is also used for cyber threat control.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of the solution is having visibility over the IoT devices on the network. It allows the organization to see all the machines on the network, who is accessing what at which time, and what they are doing.

What needs improvement?

When you compare the solution to other NAC solutions like ISE and Portnox, you realize that it is not able to work as a single sign-on device. You need to use it with FortiAuthenticator. If you want to use certificate management, and two-factor authentication, you have to buy a FortiAnalyzer, which is different from ISE. I would like to see these features included with the solution.

The reporting can also use improvement.

I have been using the solution for three years.

The latest version of the solution is stable.

The scalability is good. You can control as many users as you want.

The support is useful. They are usually able to log on and resolve the issues.

Neutral

The initial setup is straightforward on VMware, but it gets complex if you try to set up for example on Hypervisor. You need to have advanced knowledge to have a successful setup.

We implement the solution for other clients.

What other advice do I have?

I rate the solution a seven out of ten.

If the deployment is strictly on a wired network it takes about a week however, if it is primarily on a wireless network it can take about three weeks.

Maintaining the solution is easy. The only area that may require additional support is if there is a large number of new guest users on the network. That requires admin approval for each user individually and takes time.

I would say it is a good solution, especially if you have IOT onboarding with a sponsor. You will be able to manage your users in a seamless way.

Senior Proposal Manager at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
    Enhances security with network segmentation and integrates perfectly with Fortinet solutions, but there could be better integration with legacy equipment
    • "The network segmentation is the most important part of the solution. The integration with the Zero Trust Access solution is a crucial part of segmenting your network."
    • "There could be better integration with legacy equipment. It integrates perfectly with all Fortinet solutions, but if you look at other third-party integrations—not on the networking part; but more on the security infrastructure part—it's more limited."

What is our primary use case?

It is mainly used when we integrate the solution with Fortinet firewalling, sandboxing, and the security fabric of Fortinet. In an all-out implementation where we implement different solutions, FortiNAC is one of the components in the entire ecosystem.

Its deployment is virtualized but on-prem.

What is most valuable?

The network segmentation is the most important part of the solution. The integration with the Zero Trust Access solution is a crucial part of segmenting your network.

What needs improvement?

There could be better integration with legacy equipment. It integrates perfectly with all Fortinet solutions, but if you look at other third-party integrations—not on the networking part; but more on the security infrastructure part—it's more limited.

Its stability and scalability can be better. Aruba ClearPass is better in these aspects.

I have used it only in the last few years. I had to do a few propositions. It has been only two or three years since I have been familiar with the FortiNAC solution.

Its stability and scalability are slightly lower than Aruba. I have a personal preference for Aruba ClearPass, so I would rate FortiNAC a seven out of 10 in these aspects.

We have internal support, so I don't have any issues with it.

It is pretty easy and straightforward. A default implementation can take two days. It is not that complex, but it also depends on the use cases that you have for the FortiNAC solution. So, it can be a really simple implementation, but it can also be months of implementation depending on the use case.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise really considering the use cases that you want to implement. That's because Fortinet has multiple license models. There are Base, Plus, and Pro licenses, and depending on the license model, you have more possibilities for integration. If you want to implement something like a premium device or guest management, you can't take the Base model. You have to directly go to the Plus model or even Pro. Similarly, if you want incident correlations and incident management, you have to go to the higher license version. So, you must consider all the use cases that you want to implement before you make a decision so that you take the correct version.

I would rate it a seven out of 10.

Pavel Zhuykov - PeerSpot reviewer
    CEO at Physnetwork
    Beneficial access control, highly secure, and useful artificial intelligence
    • "The most valuable features of Fortinet FortiNAC are access control, automation, artificial intelligence, analysis, and security, and it is a unified solution. You can combine a lot of features within the solution."
    • "The automation in Fortinet FortiNAC could improve."

What is our primary use case?

I have used Fortinet FortiNAC in medium-sized banks, offices, campuses, and distribution networks for control.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of Fortinet FortiNAC are access control, automation, artificial intelligence, analysis, and security, and it is a unified solution. You can combine a lot of features within the solution.

What needs improvement?

The automation in Fortinet FortiNAC could improve.

I have been using Fortinet FortiNAC for approximately five years.

Fortinet FortiNAC has been good.

The scalability we receive from Fortinet FortiNAC is enough for us.

We have not had any complaints about the technical support from Fortinet FortiNAC.

The initial setup of Fortinet FortiNAC is usually complicated, and you have to understand the installation well.

For the projects that we do the Fortinet FortiNAC is affordable.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others, it is very good. They are a world leader in security and they have the best combination of network access.

I rate Fortinet FortiNAC a nine out of ten.

Boniphace Mkindi - PeerSpot reviewer
    Telecommunications Engineer at TZ Telecom Ltd.
    A one-time product solution for a customer that’s a good system with good features, but the interface could be better

What is our primary use case?

The customer required centralizing control to control access, detection, and network control. He requested processing a simple management point, the access, the devices, and distribution, and wanted to manage all the customer devices. He had a history of working with FortiNAC devices and wanted us to do the same. So I installed the product to understand it.

What is most valuable?

The features are more expandable.

What needs improvement?

The interface works fine, but it could be better.

It was for a one-time product solution for a customer for about one year, and I'm still maintaining it. So far, we've had one client for it.

The solution is stable.

The product is scalable.

We never had to use customer service or support, so it expired.

Neutral

It was easy to set up the product.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution seven out of ten.

Download our free Fortinet FortiNAC Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: November 2022