IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Palo Alto Networks Threat Prevention OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Palo Alto Networks Threat Prevention is #8 ranked solution in top Intrusion Detection and Prevention Software. PeerSpot users give Palo Alto Networks Threat Prevention an average rating of 9.0 out of 10. Palo Alto Networks Threat Prevention is most commonly compared to Check Point IPS: Palo Alto Networks Threat Prevention vs Check Point IPS. Palo Alto Networks Threat Prevention is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 60% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 23% of all views.

Download the Intrusion Detection and Prevention Software (IDPS) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2022

What is Palo Alto Networks Threat Prevention?

Threats do not discriminate between application delivery vectors, requiring an approach that has full visibility into all application traffic, including SSL encrypted content, with full user context. Threat Prevention leverages the visibility of our next-generation firewall to inspect all traffic, automatically preventing known threats, regardless of port, protocol or SSL encryption.

Palo Alto Networks Threat Prevention Customers

University of Arkansas, JBG SMITH, SkiStar AB, TRI-AD, Temple University, Telkom Indonesia

Palo Alto Networks Threat Prevention Video

Palo Alto Networks Threat Prevention Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Palo Alto Networks Threat Prevention pricing:
  • "The pricing has improved with the newer generation of their Firewalls, but the price could always be lower."
  • "The cost involves the price of the hardware, which is expensive. However, most of the Palo Alto solutions are expensive."
  • "The pricing could be lower."
  • "Palo Alto Networks Threat Prevention could improve by having consistent pricing at system levels."
  • Palo Alto Networks Threat Prevention Reviews

Leandro Soares Costa - PeerSpot reviewer
    Cloud Security Architect at a computer software company with 5,001-10,000 employees
    Reliable with good IPS and helpful support
    • "You can scale the product."
    • "The initial setup is complex."

What is our primary use case?

We implemented the IPS solution and the DNS sinkhole blocking.

What is most valuable?

For us, the IPS is very valuable.

It is stable and reliable.

The solution has helpful support.

You can scale the product.

What needs improvement?

The initial setup is complex.

We'd like more APIs to manage programmatically the IPS to orchestrate it and
    avoid logging into the graphical user interface console. We'd like to have some robots to manage the solution's tasks.

I've been using the solution for about three years.

Intrusion Detection and Prevention Software (IDPS)
    July 2022
    Find out what your peers are saying about Palo Alto Networks, Darktrace, Trend Micro and others in Intrusion Detection and Prevention Software (IDPS). Updated: July 2022.
    621,703 professionals have used our research since 2012.

It's a stable solution. We've never had any issues with our environment. There are no bugs or glitches and it doesn't crash or freeze.

We have about 30,000 servers using this solution. It's not for end-users; it's for computers, for servers. It can scale to meet your needs.

Technical support is good. We've been happy with them so far.

The initial setup was very complex as the solution does not have these APIs to facilitate the configuration. Therefore, we had to manage some scripts to perform the configuration.

Our deployment took, approximately, eight months.

We implemented the solution with the help of a reseller.

We pay for licensing on a yearly basis. You simply need to pay the licensing fee and there are no extra costs.

What other advice do I have?

We're a customer and end-user.

It's a pretty good solution. After three years, we haven't had any issues or concerns with our environment. The advice I can give is to implement it and to test it, as it's a really good solution.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

Reviewer23 - PeerSpot reviewer
    IT Infrastructure Manager at Jonah Energy
    The self-updating and self-alerting systems require very little management overhead
    • "Edge protection is a valuable feature."
    • "The pricing has improved with the newer generation of their Firewalls, but the price could always be lower. In comparison with other solutions, I believe they're quite competitive."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use this solution for general user security and protection. In our organization, there are around 250 users, using this solution.

How has it helped my organization?

Its simplified management interface, self-updating, and self-alerting systems require very little management overhead.

What is most valuable?

Edge protection is a valuable feature. Also, WildFire I think has been the most valuable active protection against a zero-day.

It's also very intuitive and user-friendly.

I have been using this solution for roughly five years.

Both the scalability and stability of this solution are fine for our needs.

The technical support is excellent; I would give them a nine out of ten — their response time could be better.

The initial setup was pretty straightforward.

We had an SE help us with the installation.

What other advice do I have?

If you're going to use this solution, you should have a professional set it up for you.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of nine. They're cutting edge. They're one of the leaders in the industry, and they're continuously improving their product.

Intrusion Detection and Prevention Software (IDPS)
    July 2022
    621,703 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    IT Specialist at Icall LTD
    Has a user friendly interface and is easy to configure
    • "It's very easy to use and configure. What is nice about Palo Alto is that even if you don't understand how to use it, you can just click on upload and upload everything that needs to be blocked."

What is our primary use case?

We use it to upload, delete, and list what to publish on the net to block websites and even posts.

Recently, I blocked Adobe Acrobat Reader. When you install it on your PC, sometimes it contacts the internet and opens some posts. Thus, it can be easily hacked by a user on the internet. When you browse for this kind of list, you can easily upload it on Palo Alto without any difficulty.

What is most valuable?

It's very easy to use and configure.

It also has signature-based prevention.

The interface is really user friendly. You can easily see what sites you have been blocking and their criticality.

You can also capture packets from this tool, which is really nice.

The cost involves the price of the hardware, which is expensive. However, most of the Palo Alto solutions are expensive.

These devices cost a lot here in Mauritius, for example, one device can cost approximately $4,000. The cost for the license would be in addition to this.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution at ten on a scale from one to ten because I've never had any issues with it and have never been hacked.

Network Security administrator at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
    Has an easy deployment and good stability

What is our primary use case?

We are in financial environment so we put it on premises and in the cloud.

What is most valuable?

Everything has been okay with the solution. We are using all of the features.

What needs improvement?

In terms of what needs improvement, the only thing I don't like is the support.

I have been using Palo Alto Networks Threat Prevention for eight years.

Palo Alto is very stable.

It is scalable. We haven't confronted any issues.

The deployment is easy.

Licensing is yearly-based.

The pricing is higher compared to their competitors. I think Palo Alto is has the highest price.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend Palo Alto to anybody looking for threat prevention.

Team Lead at pgascom
    A scalable and stable solution with a good interface and easily manageable features

What needs improvement?

The resource consumption should be addressed. The technology firewall anomaly network could stand improvement.

The pricing could be better.

We are currently using Palo Alto Networks Threat Prevention.

Our network and the stability are good. Authentication of the location is stable. Nothing is changed.

The solution is scalable.

The pricing could be lower.

What other advice do I have?

I like the solution's interface.

The features are very easy to manage. The firewall is responsible for a host of tasks, as we use it for the monitoring of high power systems. The configuring of agents is easy.

I rate Palo Alto Networks Threat Prevention as a ten out of ten.

Managing Director at Network Alliance Technology Sdn Bhd
    Reseller
    Scalable, reliable, and good support

I have been using Palo Alto Networks Threat Prevention for approximately 10 years.

The stability of Palo Alto Networks Threat Prevention is good.

I have found Palo Alto Networks Threat Prevention to be a scalable solution.

The support from Palo Alto Networks Threat Prevention is good.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others would be to use Palo Alto Networks Threat Prevention for the perimeter of the network.

I rate Palo Alto Networks Threat Prevention a nine out of ten.

Download our free Intrusion Detection and Prevention Software (IDPS) Report and find out what your peers are saying about Palo Alto Networks, Darktrace, Trend Micro, and more!
    Updated: July 2022