We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why

Oracle GoldenGate OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Oracle GoldenGate is #7 ranked solution in top Data Integration Tools. PeerSpot users give Oracle GoldenGate an average rating of 8 out of 10. Oracle GoldenGate is most commonly compared to AWS Database Migration Service: Oracle GoldenGate vs AWS Database Migration Service. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 36% of all views.
What is Oracle GoldenGate?
Oracle GoldenGate is a comprehensive software package for real-time data integration and replication in heterogeneous IT environments. The product set enables high availability solutions, real-time data integration, transactional change data capture, data replication, transformations, and verification between operational and analytical enterprise systems.

Oracle GoldenGate was previously known as GoldenGate.

Oracle GoldenGate Buyer's Guide

Download the Oracle GoldenGate Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2022

Oracle GoldenGate Customers
Japan Exchange Group, Daewoo E&C, Herbalife, Starwood Hotels & Resorts, Canon, Turk Telekom
Oracle GoldenGate Video

Oracle GoldenGate Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Oracle GoldenGate pricing:
  • "We have an enterprise license for it. It might be for three years or so. I'm not aware of any additional costs to the standard licensing fee."
  • "The price of this solution is good."
  • Oracle GoldenGate Reviews

Claudio Freire
    Chief Enterprise Architect at a non-profit with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Good technical support and very stable, but memory is an issue
    • "The CDC feature is interesting."
    • "We struggle with memory. It's limited. However, it may be because of our unique business case and how we use it that it's limiting for us."

What is our primary use case?

We use the product internally to cover one of our data synchronization needs. The use case is likely to be unique in the world.

The solution involves 3000 pharmacies distributed geographically on several islands and continents. Each pharmacy has an ERP for managing pharmacy operations (sales, purchases, logistics, etc.). And we are synchronizing all the data and transactions that are generated in the ERP, with a central database (Exadata).

How has it helped my organization?

Our use case is complex and with Oracle GoldenGate we are improving the efficiency of the data replication and mostly the maintenance and operations support. We are in the process of migrating the current solution (based on queuing and web services) to Oracle Goldengate. Our current data synchronization process is old and not efficient enough to deal with 3000 data sources.

With Oracle Goldengate, we have more control over the CDC phase, and we can improve our management process which is critical for us.

What is most valuable?

The OGG CDC is flexible and robust but complex to manage. The OGG version with microservices is very important to us because we need to monitor and manage all the database sources. The current OGG monitor is limited to our operations and we built one for our needs using the OGG microservices.

What needs improvement?

While we like the CDC feature, it has some limitations in terms of what we can do and how to configure what we need to do. We are trying to fix those issues by implementing some workarounds.

Memory consumption is also an issue in OGG architecture. Each OGG data replicator consumes more and less 200 MB of RAM. We have 10 OGG hubs, each one with almost 300 data replicators to the central database. We need 64 GB for each Hub. a total of 640 GB just for data replication.

We've been working with the product for five years.

The solution, especially the last version, is very stable. Even with 3000 data sources, and a complex framework we're finding the solution to be very reliable.

The solution is very scalable when adopting a three-tier solution with hubs in the middle. Each OGG hub handles 300 interconnections. We have 10 hubs and, if we need to increase or expand, we put more servers in the system. It is very simple and expensive too.

In Portugal, we have a direct connection with Oracle (Portugal) due to the fact that our use case is so unique. We are also in direct contact with the Oracle Goldengate project manager through Oracle Portugal.

Everyone has been very good so far. Although the team in Portugal does not have the knowledge base necessary for our purposes, teams in India or the USA generally provide the required assistance.

At the scale where we are now, we have worked with Attunity. It is a similar CDC software data extraction. It's more straightforward and simple to configure, however, when you scale with the 3000 data sources, the system starts being unmanageable. And the total cost of ownership is higher than OGG.

OGG technology is not simple. The first setup took almost six months because we had a hard time finding OGG specialists on the market.

There are three support teams in the project. We have a support team for infrastructure management, a team of DBAs to manage the Exadata, and an operations team to manage the 3000 databases (sources). And we also have Oracle's support for bugs and problems that we encounter along the way.

We had external help from Oracle. And we hired specialists from Brazil who came to Portugal to help us.

In terms of price, as a client, I want always the cheaper price. But, in this case, we have a good deal with Oracle in terms of GoldenGate licenses. It's a lot of money but the business case is working for us. We need the information, and fast access to it, so we require an effective system. We already have one solution in place working, but it's a legacy system bases on web services and the operations costs are very expensice. We need to migrate asap to this new solution.

Yes, the current system we are using is based on Internet protocols. We are using web services and data streaming. But when you need to manage and operate 3000 data sources, every time you need to make a change it's a nightmare. The operations costs and time consumption in software development and depoly is too high to maintain.

What other advice do I have?

We're currently in the middle of a huge project using Oracle GoldenGate. We have a unique business case in the world - synchronizing 3000 OLTP databases to an Exadata. Normally Oracle GoldenGate use cases are for 10 or 50 maximum data sources.

We are using OGG version 19 in the OGG Hubs (Replicators). In the source, we are using OGG version 13 microservices (Extractors).

We have a hybrid OGG architecture: the data source is on-premise and the hubs and the Exadata are in the OCI (Oracle Cloud Infrastructure). We have on-premise extractors and replicators in the cloud. the connection is made through FastConnect.

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten. There are several features that have some real limitations for us. The product itself is not simple to manage and we take almost 6 months to learn the basics. There's also harsh memory consumption. Each connection is consuming almost 200 megabytes of memory, and, with the 3000 databases, that's a lot of resources to manage.

Hybrid Cloud

Other
    Steve-James
    Cloud Migration Software Consultant - UK & EMEA at 1PLACE
    Migrations are fast but heavyweight skills needed to use it
    • "What I have found the most valuable about GoldenGate is that it does real-time and no-downtime migrations. Its migrations are fast. There are not many tools like it on the marketplace."
    • "The problem with GoldenGate is it is very complex to use. You need heavyweight skills to use it."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for consultancy, more specifically for moving customers' data from on-prem into the cloud. We do this in conjunction with our product. We do not have to pay extra for the Oracle Enterprise Manager because our software can manage the GoldenGate software.

What is most valuable?

What I have found the most valuable about GoldenGate is that it does real-time and no-downtime migrations. Its migrations are fast. There are not many tools like it on the marketplace.

What needs improvement?

The problem with GoldenGate is it is very complex to use. You need heavyweight skills to use it. When there's a problem, you have to delve quite deeply down to this sort of data layer where the problem is.

I have been using Oracle GoldenGate for about two years now.

The performance of the product is second to none. There are not many products out there that can compete at the level they can. The only problem is that GoldenGate is very expensive. So, if people only want to use it for migrating into the cloud, for example, they could be laden with a lot of heavyweight software they never use.

GoldenGate is very scalable.

We have not used GoldenGate's technical support too much. We have only asked them a couple of questions. Our experience was good. I have not had anything negative come back.

Before switching to GoldenGate, we had some experience with the AWS Database Migration Service.

GoldenGate is quite difficult to set up. The process can take you a few days.

When it comes to maintenance and things like patch updates, it's relatively straightforward as long as you're paying the support fees. You get that as part of the license.

We implemented it internally. We currently have six consultants working with this product.

I think that the price for one CPU with a computer is about $17,000. A small solution probably needs at least four CPUs and up to eight. That will add up to $68,000 to $132,000. You can't go that much lower than that.

If you are not using our product, you have to use Oracle Enterprise Manager and I think that's about $3,000 per CPU as well. Overall, you could be looking at up to $24,000 on top of the GoldenGate license.

It's quite on the expensive side, but if you want that kind of monitoring, that's what you have to use.

Amazon's tools usually have low data footprints and simplistic type migrations. There is a limit to what they can do and how long they take to do it, particularly in Oracle. With GoldenGate, everything is a lot faster and can be done in real time with low downtime, which is the key thing.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure it's the right tool for the job you need to do. In-cloud migrations, particularly database migrations, account for about 12% of an overall cloud migration project. Within that 12%, probably 90% of those non-production and low data footprint databases could be handled by tools like AWS Database Migration Service. However, when you can't take the system down for very long, or you've got lots of databases, it can take a long time to migrate them unless you use a tool like GoldenGate. However, using GoldenGate requires extensive skills for management and configuration.

Hybrid Cloud

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
    Learn what your peers think about Oracle GoldenGate. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
    565,689 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Pinak Sarkar
    Senior Manager of System and Database at ESL
    Reseller
    Quite stable and scalable with an easy implementation process
    • "They've recently improved the ease of implementation."
    • "The solution is quite costly, and if they could reduce their pricing, it would be more economical to implement."

What is our primary use case?

The solution in our organization is not used for execution. We use it for a few schedules and to replicate in different databases.

What is most valuable?

We like how in GoldenGate the heterogeneous database is supported. Sometimes the client actually needs a schedule and needs to ensure the state of databases for reporting purposes. With that in mind, we have been able to configure GoldenGate for certain schema.

The solution is quite stable.

They've recently improved the ease of implementation.

What needs improvement?

Right now, the solution is working quite well for us as it is.

I've been using the solution for the past three to five years.

The solution is very reliable. I don't recall experiencing bugs or glitches, or crashes, for that matter. I'd describe it as very stable.

The solution is extremely scalable. If a company needs to expand it, it should be able to do so without any issues.

We're a service provider and we implement products to companies of various sizes.

As a vendor company, we're eligible to give support to our clients if they need it. As for contacting their technical support services, I don't recall if we really needed to, so I can't speak to their quality of service.

I've only ever worked with this solution. I haven't tried any similar solutions in the past.

In previous versions, the solution wasn't so easy to implement. In the latest version of the solution, they've made it really straightforward. It's much less complex than it was previously.

How long deployment takes depends on your formation and your design. If you want to do two more samples just for feature comparing, then it will take maybe three to four hours, if that. However, if you want to do some complex configurations, while it depends on the customer, it will take longer. How much of a database they want to initiate with GoldenGate will factor in on the length of time it will take. If the size is bigger by one million or even 200,000, then it will take much longer.

We're a vendor company; we help our customers with the implementation.

The cost of the solution is a bit high. It's higher than a lot of competitors.

What other advice do I have?

We're a reseller. We help our clients implement the solution.

I'm not sure which version of the solution I'm using or if it's the most current.

GoldenGate, right now, is a really fantastic solution. The price is high, but it's worth the cost, in my opinion.

It works with heterogeneous environments like Oracle, or IBM digital. We host it in servers and we host it in databases. A lot of the times we also host it in MySQL or on the MySQL database.

The solution uses a very low latency bandwidth because GoldenGate actually transfers the data. It will not take up a lot of resources like CPU or memory.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten.

Database Administrator at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
    A truly scalable and pretty stable solution that works, but it needs better documentation, support, and easier troubleshooting
    • "It moves the data as you set it up, and it works. I am also very impressed with its stability and scalability. It is not super feature-rich, but the new releases have more functionality. It recently had more native integrations with Oracle Database. If you are using it against an Oracle database, it has a lot more functionality."
    • "Troubleshooting issues is not always the easiest. It should be easier to troubleshoot. Their support can also be improved. They don't read your problem statement and waste a lot of time. GoldenGate for big data is actually a separate license. It is sort of a separate product, but it might fall underneath your GoldenGate category. If we're talking about big data, its interaction with big data sources is poorly documented."

What is our primary use case?

It supports data movement for heterogeneous platforms as well as homogeneous platforms. We are using it for both use cases. Some use cases are for secondary sites, and some use cases are for different applications, such as data warehousing. We are using its latest version.

What is most valuable?

It moves the data as you set it up, and it works. I am also very impressed with its stability and scalability.

It is not super feature-rich, but the new releases have more functionality. It recently had more native integrations with Oracle Database. If you are using it against an Oracle database, it has a lot more functionality.

What needs improvement?

Troubleshooting issues is not always the easiest (can't always find info on errors online or at MyOracleSupport).  Oracle's professional support can also be improved (take a long time to resond to ticket, when they do it is obvious they don't read the issue before responding; they frequently ask for info already provided in the ticket.)

GoldenGate for big data is a separately licensed product. Regarding big data, I've found multiple prop file parameters not documented, not in the sample programs, yet were required.

We have been using it in our organization for seven to ten years.

It is pretty stable.

It is a truly scalable product. We have a team of two to run it, and they're part of the infrastructure team. There are lots of people who use the backend data. Their roles could be from business reporting to data scientists.

We have plans to increase its usage. We're finding more use cases for it all the time.

Oracle support is very frustrating in terms of how they pass tickets back and forth and don't read your problem statement. They waste a lot of time getting their support kicked into gear.

It has a medium complexity level.

It was done in-house.

We have an enterprise license for it. It might be for three years or so. I'm not aware of any additional costs to the standard licensing fee.

What other advice do I have?

It works great as a text-based application. There are a lot of hooplas you have to run through for more of a GUI support. It requires a high level of knowledge to get started.

I would definitely recommend starting out with very simple extracts, pumps, and replicates to get the environment working and then jump in with specific tables that you need.

I would rate Oracle GoldenGate a six out of ten.

Oracle ERP DBA Conultant- Oracle Super Cluster T5-8 Admin at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Good replication between databases and can accept data from multiple sources
    • "GoldenGate can connect and collect data from multiple sources, such as SQL Server."
    • "I would like to see the interface more graphical and easier to use."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use is to transfer data or tables in databases from one server to another.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

There are some DDLs that have problems with GoldenGate. These issues detract from stability and it is something that should be improved.

I would like to see the interface more graphical and easier to use. I like Microsoft products, for example, because they are easy to use. When I work in SQL Server, which is integrated with Oracle GoldenGate, I find it better to work in than Oracle.

We have been using Oracle GoldenGate for the past three or four years.

GoldenGate is a stable product.

Usually, it works with no problems. Sometimes there are issues, but we have been able to solve them.

It is easy to scale once you learn it.

This product has been working well in our environment so we haven't had the need to contact technical support.

The initial setup was straightforward. It took three or four months to complete.

The implementation was done by the Oracle team.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is considering this product that its suitability depends on the environment. If Oracle is being used then it is a good solution but otherwise, another product would be a better choice. I would suggest using a solution by the same vendor as the database that is being used.

Amit Mataghare
    Senior Manager at PricewaterhouseCoopers
    Good data replication capability and technical support

What is our primary use case?

I am part of a consulting firm and we build database solutions for our customers. Oracle GoldenGate is one of the products that we assist our clients with. It is primarily used to replicate data from the main database to a backup server.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is data replication capability.

What needs improvement?

It should be easier to integrate this solution with non-Oracle databases, including cloud-based solutions hosted on Azure.

One of our clients began using Oracle GoldenGate in 2013 and a second client started with it in 2018.

Oracle GoldenGate is pretty much stable.

What do I think about the scalability of the

What is our primary use case?

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is data replication capability.

What needs improvement?

Oracle GoldenGate is pretty much stable.

I haven't encountered any issues in terms of scalability.  We are working with solutions where there is not much in terms of scope.

Technical support from Oracle is good. We were able to get help and good advice from them.

The initial setup was complex. It took a lot of time to get it stabilized.

The price of this solution is good.

What other advice do I have?

Oracle GoldenGate is a product that I would recommend.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.