OpenVPN Access Server OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

OpenVPN Access Server is the #6 ranked solution in top Enterprise Infrastructure VPN tools. PeerSpot users give OpenVPN Access Server an average rating of 8.2 out of 10. OpenVPN Access Server is most commonly compared to Fortinet FortiClient: OpenVPN Access Server vs Fortinet FortiClient. OpenVPN Access Server is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 51% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 22% of all views.

Download the Enterprise Infrastructure VPN Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2023

What is OpenVPN Access Server?

OpenVPN is an open-source software application that implements virtual private network techniques for creating secure point-to-point or site-to-site connections in routed or bridged configurations and remote access facilities.

OpenVPN Access Server was previously known as OpenVPN.

OpenVPN Access Server Customers

Verizon, Amazon, Disney, HP, Microsoft, IBM, Samsung

OpenVPN Access Server Video

OpenVPN Access Server Pricing Advice

What users are saying about OpenVPN Access Server pricing:
  • "OpenVPN is a free and open-source solution."
  • "It is an open-source solution, so we don't pay for anything."
  • "The price point is fantastic since it is free."
  • OpenVPN Access Server Reviews

Afsal Kaniyarakkal - PeerSpot reviewer
    IT System Administrator at Malomatia
    Secure and good for small firms but is complex to set up
    • "The best thing is that it is open source and free of cost."
    • "You do need expertise in implementation if you do the initial setup yourself."

What is our primary use case?

Initially, we implemented this OpenVPN client. We have Google Authenticator with OpenVPN, so we have multifactor authentication for the users.

What is most valuable?

The best thing is that it is open source and free of cost.

It's secure.

It's a good solution for small firms.

What needs improvement?

You do need expertise in implementation if you do the initial setup yourself. As it is open-source, if you run into issues, there is nobody available to help you.

We can have more interfaces with the Active Directory. For example, if you want to integrate, it's not really working very well as an authentication method.

Security-wise it's using good protocols like SecureONE, similar to AnyConnect. However, implementation-wise for the interfacing to the AD and interfacing to the Authenticators, it's a bit difficult. We had updated this a year before, and we had to revert it back to work with Google Authenticator.

I've been using the solution for about five years or so.

Enterprise Infrastructure VPN
    January 2023
    Find out what your peers are saying about OpenVPN, Fortinet, Cisco and others in Enterprise Infrastructure VPN. Updated: January 2023.
    672,411 professionals have used our research since 2012.

While it is stable, I would warn that while doing the updates, there is a concern. If you are doing an update, you should have a full backup and consider the functionality so that it runs as expected. You might have to redeploy the product again in order to do a proper update.

We have maybe 50 to 100 users on the solution. It's a small server. It might be able to scale a bit more, however, we haven't really tried to do that.

We have the free version installed. We don't have a support contract.

The initial setup is complex.

We tried initially with Centaurus and it was not really working.

The deployment itself took about three weeks. It was a bit time-consuming.

It's free to use. We have an open-source version.

You would need to pay extra for support. It's not as costly as Cisco or Fortinet, and therefore investing a bit extra in support may be worth it.

What other advice do I have?

The solution is at a client location. I'm not sure which version they're on.

It's critical to understand the solution if you decide to use it, and if it is a necessary solution that you need to depend on, you should have some sort of support contract in place.

I'd rate the solution six out of ten.

ICT and Cyber Security Adviser at a educational organization with 201-500 employees
    Open-source, easy to set up, and simple to expand
    • "It is open-source and free to use."
    • "When there are too many concurrent users trying to connect at the same time, there may be a bit of a bottleneck."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for a secure VPN connection.

What is most valuable?

Overall, it's okay and performance-wise it's fine.

It is easy to set up.

The solution is stable.

It can scale well.

It is open-source and free to use.

What needs improvement?

The performance could be a bit better. The stability could always be enhanced.

When there are too many concurrent users trying to connect at the same time, there may be a bit of a bottleneck. When all people would like to reconnect to the VPN at the same time, the performance and availability of the solution could be better.

I've been using the solution for almost a year.

The solution is quite stable and has okay performance. However, it could be better. We'd like the performance to be more robust.

It's a scalable product. If a company needs to expand it, it can do so.

We have around 2,000 users on the solution right now.

We're always open to increasing usage.

I haven't dealt with technical support just yet. I can't speak to how helpful they would be.

We did not previously use a different solution.

With OpenVPN, the amount of people you need to deploy and maintain it depends on how many nodes you would need and the number of users as well as whether you are operating 24/7 or operating only during work hours. Likely, you would need between three and six people.

This is an open-source solution. We can use it for free.

What other advice do I have?

I'd recommend the solution to other users and organizations.

I would rate the product eight out of ten as I have been mostly pleased with its capabilities.

Enterprise Infrastructure VPN
    January 2023
    672,411 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Ali Toksoy - PeerSpot reviewer
    General Manager at Ekinoks Software
    Easy to deploy, simple to use, and offers good performance
    • "It can scale well."
    • "The interface could be a little bit better in future iterations."

What is our primary use case?

In our country, there is a problem with accessing some sites. Therefore, we need to use OpenVPN. We also use it to access our server.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very easy to use. It's very direct. It always just works when we need it to. The performance is good.

The solution is stable.

It can scale well.

The initial setup is fast and easy.

What needs improvement?

The interface could be a little bit better in future iterations.

I can't remember how long I've used the solution. It's likely been around six years.

The solution offers good performance. It is stable and reliable. There are no bugs or glitches. It makes access simple.

The product can scale well.

We have 40 or 50 people using the product at this time.

As remote work increases, we likely will expand usage.

We haven't needed any additional support so far.

We did not previously use any other services similar to this product.

It is easy to set up. It just works right away.

It takes a very short amount of time to deploy it. I found the process to be quite fast. We deployed in minutes, as I recall.

A company would only need one person to handle the deployment process.

We did not need any outside assistance or support for the implementation process.

I'm unsure of the exact licensing costs.

What other advice do I have?

I'm not sure which version of the solution I'm using.

I'd recommend this product to other users and companies.

I would rate the solution eight out of ten.

Khellafi Rafiq - PeerSpot reviewer
    IT Consultant at TechnoPath
    Free and open-source solution that allows remote network access but needs to improve its server configuration file
    • "The most valuable feature is that I can access my local network remotely and avoid doing all the port forwarding and redirections, and so on."
    • "The server configuration file needs to be improved, it's the biggest problem in the configuration process."

What is our primary use case?

I mainly use OpenVPN for remote access.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The server configuration file needs to be improved, it's the biggest problem in the configuration process. I would also like the product's routing to be easier.

I've been using OpenVPN for almost three years.

OpenVPN is very stable.

The initial setup is a little complex - you need to know what you're doing to go through the process. I would rate the setup process two out of five.

OpenVPN is a free and open-source solution.

Before choosing OpenVPN, I tested the Microsoft Remote Access VPN, and I can say that Microsoft are far away from OpenVPN's level and have a lot of work to get there which can get really expensive.

What other advice do I have?

If somebody asked me about VPNs, I would recommend OpenVPN 100%. I would rate it seven out of ten.

Chief Executive Officer at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
    Is open source and stable, but the scalability could be better
    • "OpenVPN Access Server is cheap, and we get to use it ourselves. It is also a stable solution."
    • "It is not scalable."

What is our primary use case?

We've been using OpenVPN Access Server for node accessing.

What is most valuable?

For us, it's important that OpenVPN Access Server is cheap and that we get to use it ourselves. It is also a stable solution.

What needs improvement?

The scalability of the solution could be improved.

I've been using it for nine years.

It is a stable solution.

It is not scalable. We have 20 people who use this solution. Most of them are developers, one is a system admin person, and one is a DevOps person.

I'm the CEO of the company, and there is a technical team that takes care of the installation. As far as I know, it was straightforward and easy enough for them. I think it took a day to install it.

We have internal staff who implemented it.

It is an open-source solution, so we don't pay for anything.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten, I would rate OpenVPN Access Server at seven.

Benny Sumitro - PeerSpot reviewer
    GM Technical Management at PT. DATACOMM DIANGRAHA
    Stable, scalable, and quick script deployment
    • "OpenVPN Access Server is very stable."

What is our primary use case?

We use OpenVPN Access Server to connect from site to site from our data center to our customer site and to dial and access our VPN to our network.

I have been using OpenVPN Access Server for approximately one year.

OpenVPN Access Server is very stable.

I have found OpenVPN Access Server to be scalable.

We have approximately 10 users using this solution.

I have been using Palo Alto and the Fortinet VPN as a comparison to OpenVPN Access Server.

OpenVPN Access Server is complicated to deploy, but we have a script that helps us with it. If we are using a script, it takes us approximately 15 minutes to deploy and without a script, it will take much longer. The process could be easier.

We did the deployment of the OpenVPN Access Server in-house.

We are using the community version of the OpenVPN Access Server and it is free.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend OpenVPN Access Server to others.

I rate OpenVPN Access Server an eight out of ten.

Chief Systems Engineer at Nexus Open Systems
      Highly stable, secure, and easy to use
      • "The most valuable features of the OpenVPN Access Server are the ease of use and integration with different platforms, such as Android and Windows. I can use the solution on my desktop and mobile devices. Additionally, the solution is secure."
      • "There could be an easier way to set up the solution. However, if you use the provided information that comes with the solution there should not be a problem."

What is our primary use case?

We provide support services to customers. For some customers we do remote support, we can log in to their VPN via the OpenVPN Access Server.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of the OpenVPN Access Server are the ease of use and integration with different platforms, such as Android and Windows. I can use the solution on my desktop and mobile devices. Additionally, the solution is secure.

I have been using OpenVPN Access Server for a couple of years.

I rate the stability of the OpenVPN Access Server a five out of five.

I have used Proton VPN in parallel to OpenVPN Access Server.

The deployment of the OpenVPN Access Server is very easy and it can be done in minutes. There could be an easier way to set up the solution. However, if you use the provided information that comes with the solution there should not be a problem.

What other advice do I have?

I have been using OpenVPN Access Server a ten out of ten.

3D Artist at Daromex
      Setup in less than an hour, proven stability, at an unbeatable price
      • "The stability is very reliable in my experience."
      • "I would like to see continued advanced security implementation."

What is our primary use case?

I have an accounting office and I am using OpenVPN to access customer networks. I am an accountant, so I installed a PSN for all my clients and they allow me to access their networks and accounting server to do the closing of accounting every month. I use OpenVPN to access the networks.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see continued advanced security implementation.

I have been using OpenVPN Access Server for the past five years.

The stability is very reliable in my experience.

I have found that OpenVPN Access Server is scalable.

I have not had to contact technical support at this point.

The setup is straightforward and deployed in less than an hour.

The price point is fantastic since it is free.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate OpenVPN Access Server a nine out of ten.

Download our free Enterprise Infrastructure VPN Report and find out what your peers are saying about OpenVPN, Fortinet, Cisco, and more!
      Updated: January 2023