NetBrain OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

NetBrain is the #4 ranked solution in top Network Automation tools and #8 ranked solution in top Network Troubleshooting tools. PeerSpot users give NetBrain an average rating of 9.0 out of 10. NetBrain is most commonly compared to Cisco DNA Center: NetBrain vs Cisco DNA Center. NetBrain is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 70% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 18% of all views.

Download the Network Troubleshooting Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: December 2022

What is NetBrain?

Managing today’s networks with yesterday’s manual processes is no longer a viable solution. NetBrain’s network automation platform provides actionable insights into your network to help you make better and faster decisions - particularly when you’re troubleshooting, securing, and making changes to the network.

NetBrain Customers

CompuCon, TD Ameritrade, Move Inc.

NetBrain Video

NetBrain Pricing Advice

What users are saying about NetBrain pricing:
"Licensing is based on a per-device basis, which means that it can get very expensive if you have a large number of devices."

NetBrain Reviews

Deborah Gamelin - PeerSpot reviewer
Vice President at Asset Track for Cloud, LLC
Good monitoring and troubleshoot capabilities, improves overall network traffic visibility
  • "This product has good network monitoring and troubleshooting capabilities."
  • "Each device needs to be configured to allow NetBrain to poll for the information it needs, which can be very time-consuming for a large network."

What is our primary use case?

We used NetBrain for troubleshooting our network. For example, it would show an example of latency and then identify where in the process there's a breakdown. We could also see the network traffic, network load, and other statistics.

What is most valuable?

This product has good network monitoring and troubleshooting capabilities.

What needs improvement?

At my previous company, I was in charge of the NetBrain implementation for the past five years.

Network Troubleshooting
December 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about NetBrain, Broadcom, Auvik and others in Network Troubleshooting. Updated: December 2022.
657,849 professionals have used our research since 2012.

NetBrain is a stable solution.

In my organization, we had 130,000 network devices that needed to be brought into the solution and mapped. NetBrain can handle the scale but the engineers that manage those devices have to go in and update all of them to allow NetBrain permission to poll them.

It can get a little stressful for everybody when you're trying to roll out new stuff when you've got other issues that have to be addressed with other devices. In some cases, our devices had no automation at all.

One example is the Cisco 3650. Right now, if you went through the inventory list, you see that we have different versions running. Some are on one version, whereas others are on another version. The problem with upgrading them is that they need to be done overnight because we don't want to disrupt any network traffic during business hours. Consequently, it could take us years to upgrade the versions before we can even get them onto these new tools.

This may be an internal issue but it's a big one when you have a lot of devices. Even if you had 10,000 devices, it's still an issue. You have to consider the compatibility of the device against the tool, and being able to use certain commands to upgrade it.

The initial setup was lengthy because we had 130,000 network devices and one of the first things is that you need to reconfigure each of the devices. We had to set the security such that NetBrain was able to poll each one and gather the information that it needed.

Corporate security was another department but in order to get a complete view of the network, we had to allow NetBrain to poll the firewall. The security team had a major issue with allowing us to configure the devices so that they could communicate with NetBrain.

Essentially, you can't get complete end to end monitoring unless you've got agreement from all of the organizations that manage network components.

We had a problem with NetBrain because we were re-using licenses after a device was retired, and they didn't like that. They wanted to charge us on a per-device basis, where licenses could not be reused. Ultimately, we had to make a decision on what the highest priority devices were because otherwise, it was far too expensive.

Of our 130,000 devices, approximately 30,000 are Wi-Fi and you don't necessarily want them on NetBrain. However, for the remaining 100,000, we wanted to make sure they were covered. The devices included large pieces of equipment such as load-balancers and firewalls. Load-balancers, in particular, are one of the highest priorities.

What other advice do I have?

This tool is exactly what we wanted and needed. The only problem is that it was taking forever, internally, to roll it out because of all of the different constraints and dependencies that you have.

My advice for anybody who is implementing NetBrain is to have a dedicated project manager and, if possible, a dedicated engineer or a few engineers to work on that project. With the setup alone, if you don't set up the hierarchy correctly, you're going to have to go back and change it. You really have to put thought into how you want to build your devices in NetBrain.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Presales - Cyber Security at Digital14 UAE
Reseller
Simple with great network mapping capabilities but doesn't have the capabilities to run PCAPs
  • "NetBrain is a very simple tool."
  • "The solution could integrate more automation."

What is most valuable?

NetBrain is a very simple tool.

It is very good when it comes to network mapping, as it looks for different assets within the network available, so router, firewall, applications, et cetera, and it gives you the full mapping, asset mapping along with the full range including the firmware software update and all those things.

NetBrain is not an NDR solution. It's very strong doing at layer seven. NDR, looks at seven layers, including application level. NetBrain is stronger at layers three and four and that's it. NetBrain can be very useful if there is any misconfiguration on the firewall or unused policies on the firewall, which could be a triggering point to open back doors for an attacker to come from the internet to exploit vulnerabilities.

The solution is stable.

It can scale well.

We had no problem setting it up.

The solution is pretty economical.

What needs improvement?

NetBrain is a very simple tool, however, it's not an NDR. It doesn't have the capabilities to run PCAPs and so on.

The solution could integrate more automation.

If the product has to be evolved, it should have more added functionality in the sense of adding PCAPs functionality and looking at the L7 kind of traffic. Also, NetBrain could be very useful if it supported OT (operational technology). I hear a lot of industrial customers, mainly belonging to oil and gas, running the SCADA systems. NetBrain is very good when it comes to IT, however, if they built in the OT part as well, so that we can look at some SCADA systems, HMI, PLCs, and things like that, it would be ideal. It would also give full visibility of what is happening in and around the OT side. Maybe down the line, they will need to add these capabilities.

I've used the solution for a few years.

It's a stable tool. Performance-wise, it's a simple tool. If you're comparing NetBrain as an NDR, I would rate it as a four or five, however, NetBrain has a different aspect of looking at things within the network. It's a network mapping tool, put simply, and it does that well.

The scalability is good. It's based on the number of IP addresses. The license is based on 500,000 IP addresses. Unless you're within the limit of that range, you're fine.

I've never dealt with technical support.

It's easy to set up. It's plug-and-play. The process is not complex or difficult.

The solution is licensing and on-premises. You need to download the software and enable the license on any X86 machine server.

We pay a yearly subscription fee. It's economical. It was not very expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I'd rate the solution six out of ten. I'd recommend it to other users.

Download our free Network Troubleshooting Report and find out what your peers are saying about NetBrain, Broadcom, Auvik, and more!
Updated: December 2022