Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

Microsoft Azure Cosmos DB OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Microsoft Azure Cosmos DB is #1 ranked solution in top Managed NoSQL Databases. PeerSpot users give Microsoft Azure Cosmos DB an average rating of 8.0 out of 10. Microsoft Azure Cosmos DB is most commonly compared to Amazon DynamoDB: Microsoft Azure Cosmos DB vs Amazon DynamoDB. Microsoft Azure Cosmos DB is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 67% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 20% of all views.
Microsoft Azure Cosmos DB Buyer's Guide

Download the Microsoft Azure Cosmos DB Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is Microsoft Azure Cosmos DB?

DocumentDB is a fully managed NoSQL database service built for fast and predictable performance, high availability, elastic scaling, global distribution, and ease of development. As a schema-free NoSQL database, DocumentDB provides rich and familiar SQL query capabilities with consistent low latencies on JSON data - ensuring that 99% of your reads are served under 10 milliseconds and 99% of your writes are served under 15 milliseconds. These unique benefits make DocumentDB a great fit for web, mobile, gaming, and IoT, and many other applications that need seamless scale and global replication.

Microsoft Azure Cosmos DB was previously known as Microsoft Azure DocumentDB, MS Azure Cosmos DB.

Microsoft Azure Cosmos DB Customers

American Cancer Society, Exxon Mobil, Symantec

Microsoft Azure Cosmos DB Video

Microsoft Azure Cosmos DB Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Microsoft Azure Cosmos DB pricing:
  • "Cosmos DB is a PaaS, so there are no upfront costs for infrastructure. There are only subscriptions you pay for Azure and things like that. But it's a PaaS, so it's a subscription service. The license isn't perpetual, and the cost might seem expensive on its face, but you have to look at the upkeep for infrastructure and what you're saving."
  • "Cosmos should be cheaper. We actually intend to stop using it in the near future because the price is too high."
  • "Azure is a pay as you go subscription."
  • "There is a licensing fee."
  • "For the cloud, we don't pay for the license, but for the on-prem versions, we do pay."
  • "The cost is the biggest limitation of this solution."
  • Microsoft Azure Cosmos DB Reviews

Solution Architect at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    It has various APIs that allow it to integrate with other solutions
    • "Cosmos is a PaaS, so you don't need to worry about infrastructure and hosting. It has various APIs that allow it to integrate with other solutions. For example, we are using a MongoDB-compatible API for customers, which makes it easier for developers on the team who previously used MongoDB or are accustomed to the old document storage paradigm."
    • "The API compatibility has room for improvement, particularly integration with MongoDB. You have to connect to a specific flavor of MongoDB. We'd also like a richer query capability in line with the latest Mongo features. That is one thing on our wish list. The current version is good enough for our use case, but it could be improved."

What is most valuable?

Cosmos is a PaaS, so you don't need to worry about infrastructure and hosting. It has various APIs that allow it to integrate with other solutions. For example, we are using a MongoDB-compatible API for customers, which makes it easier for developers on the team who previously used MongoDB or are accustomed to the old document storage paradigm.

What needs improvement?

The API compatibility has room for improvement, particularly integration with MongoDB. You have to connect to a specific flavor of MongoDB. We'd also like a richer query capability in line with the latest Mongo features. That is one thing on our wish list. The current version is good enough for our use case, but it could be improved.

We've been using Cosmos DB for about six to eight months.

Cosmos DB's reliability, performance, and scalability are all good. We can't complain. Azure has management outages, and the management windows that Azure publishes are still too big. They provide a 24 hour period in which maintenance will happen. Smaller, specific windows are easier to manage when you have a production system. Otherwise, it does a good job technically.

Google Cloud Bigtable vs. Microsoft Azure Cosmos DB
    September 2022
    Find out what your peers are saying about Google Cloud Bigtable vs. Microsoft Azure Cosmos DB and other solutions. Updated: September 2022.
    632,611 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The scalability of the Azure platform is a given. It's easy to scale and quickly deploy. The API's richness also helped us. We use Cosmos DB for a public-facing application with upwards of a million users.

I think we have all the scalability that we need, and we like that the system doesn't have outages when it's updating. However, an on-prem version is required for some use cases, and they provide this now.

Microsoft support is good if you contact a specialist. Getting in touch with the right specialist is crucial for whatever technology you're using on Azure. If you reach the right person, it's a dream, but that can be difficult in some cases can be difficult. You might go through several layers of support before you reach the platform experts.

We haven't used another solution for this particular use case. The product was benchmarked on Azure, so we used Cosmos DB. It wasn't like we were looking at different solutions, and we chose Cosmos.

Setting up the whole landscape took about a week. It doesn't take long. It's a PaaS, so the setup is mostly configuration. It's more like provisioning rather than deployment. You could probably set it up in a day if you wanted to. We set it up with an in-house team. About 15 to 20 people support the solution, but they aren't dedicated to Cosmos DB. They work on lots of things.

Cosmos DB is a PaaS, so there are no upfront costs for infrastructure. There are only subscriptions you pay for Azure and things like that. But it's a PaaS, so it's a subscription service. The license isn't perpetual, and the cost might seem expensive on its face, but you have to look at the upkeep for infrastructure and what you're saving.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Cosmos DB eight out of 10. I would recommend it for an appropriate use case. However, you need to be aware of the system's limitations. If you're using the DocumentDB system, it's crucial to plan properly for document structure, etc. You also need to plan for failure to ensure that your system can survive when any node fails. Set up clustering, redundancy, high availability, and so on.

Associate Director at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
    Provides single-digit millisecond response times but struggles with large amounts of data
    • "I would recommend Cosmos. It made our lives a lot easier. There's not a big learning curve in order to understand the structure and how to use it."
    • "We should have more freedom to tweak it and make our own queries for non-traditional use-cases."

What is our primary use case?

We have a database stored on Microsoft Azure where we fetch records and validate them against the application data that is displayed. We use it as a backend in an application to store data.

Within our organization, there are around 500 people using this solution.

What is most valuable?

There's no specific feature of Cosmos. Basically, we try to query the database. Since it's unstructured data, all the related fields are stored as a single JSON. You don't have to go ahead and hit multiple tables, or multiple containers. Instead, you get all of those things, relationally, stored in a nested JSON — in one single container itself. This way, you don't have to go back and forth to different tables. There are pros and cons with this feature, but often it makes things easier for us.

I am impressed with the TTL (time to live feature) of Cosmos. If we need to perform a manual addition to a container, we just need to configure the time to live. And then based on that, it can be deleted.

What needs improvement?

I have been using Microsoft Azure Cosmos DB for roughly one year.

Cosmos should be more stable. Sometimes we fetch more than 60,000 records at a time. When we try to fetch large amounts of data, sometimes it breaks-down, requiring us to rescale it. Overall, performance-wise, it needs to be a little more stable.

I personally haven't had contact with the technical support. Our solution architects deal with support.

I wasn't involved in the initial setup. We have a DevOps team that was responsible for handling the installation. We are just leveraging it for developmental purposes.

Cosmos should be cheaper. We actually intend to stop using it in the near future because the price is too high — and because of the stability issues.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of seven. Aside from the scalability issues, we haven't experienced any other issues.

I would recommend Cosmos. It made our lives a lot easier. There's not a big learning curve in order to understand the structure and how to use it. We were good to go with only one container. Anybody who is new can learn quickly.

Google Cloud Bigtable vs. Microsoft Azure Cosmos DB
    September 2022
    632,611 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Ligia Godoi - PeerSpot reviewer
    IT Service Delivery Manager at DXC
    Makes data ingestion, using data in different applications, and connecting with other tools easier
    • "What I like about Microsoft Azure Cosmos DB is that it's easy to do data ingestion and use the data in different applications. If you talk about business intelligence such as the Power BI tool, it's easy to connect because both are Microsoft products. With Microsoft Azure Cosmos DB, it's easy to connect and do data ingestion."
    • "It would be nice to have more options to ingest the data, for example, more file options or more search options. Currently, you can use JSON, but if there were other file types you can use for data ingestion, that would be nice."

What is our primary use case?

The company is using Microsoft Azure Cosmos DB for business intelligence information, specifically for demand management.

What is most valuable?

What I like about Microsoft Azure Cosmos DB is that it's easy to do data ingestion and use the data in different applications. If you talk about business intelligence such as the Power BI tool, it's easy to connect because both are Microsoft products. With Microsoft Azure Cosmos DB, it's easy to connect and do data ingestion.

What needs improvement?

At the moment, because I'm still new in terms of using Microsoft Azure Cosmos DB, I don't have any feedback regarding areas for improvement in the product. So far, it has met all the expectations and needs of my company.

It would be nice to have more options to ingest the data, for example, more file options or more search options. Currently, you can use JSON, but if there were other file types you can use for data ingestion, that would be nice. This is the additional feature I'd like to see in the next release of Microsoft Azure Cosmos DB.

I've been using Microsoft Azure Cosmos DB for the past six months.

Microsoft Azure Cosmos DB is a stable product.

Microsoft Azure Cosmos DB is a scalable product.

We have a partnership with Microsoft, so the response time of the technical support team for Microsoft Azure Cosmos DB is really good at the moment.

Microsoft Azure Cosmos DB was easy to set up.

What other advice do I have?

I've been using Microsoft Azure Cosmos DB, a cloud DB solution. It's deployed in a cloud environment, on a public cloud with security for ourselves.

My company is a partner of Microsoft and also a reseller.

My advice to people looking into implementing Microsoft Azure Cosmos DB is that it would be good for them to use, specifically if they are looking for a NoSQL database to ingest the data and do data discovery using the data in a BI tool. It's easy to ingest the data and work with the data in Microsoft Azure Cosmos DB and understand that, because it is not a SQL database, which means it's not as structured. You can add data, and then do a data discovery, and use it the best way for you. I would recommend Microsoft Azure Cosmos DB.

My rating for Microsoft Azure Cosmos DB is eight out of ten.

SaurabhSingh1 - PeerSpot reviewer
    Solution Sales Architect at Softline
    Reseller
    Provides flexibility from a cost and data perspective
    • "With Azure you can start small and grow as you need."
    • "A couple features that would help me in architectural solutions would be customizable architecture or customizable documentation, which both Microsoft Azure or Microsoft Teams can provide."

What is our primary use case?

My current title is that of a Solution Sales Architect.

What is most valuable?

The biggest benefit of Microsoft Azure Cosmos DB is the general cloud model that Azure gives you. It provides more flexibility from a cost and data perspective. The solution is reasonable. Microsoft gives the best security solutions with zero trust protection.

With Azure, you can start small and grow as you need.

What needs improvement?

I provide architect solutions on top of Azure. A couple of features that would help me in architectural solutions would be customizable architecture or customizable documentation, which both Microsoft Azure and Microsoft Teams can provide. I can easily pick and choose a couple of architecture and merge them. This would be a very helpful feature for me in my role.

I have had five years of experience working with Microsoft Azure Cosmos DB.

This solution is stable. I rarely receive concerns from my clients that they are facing any downtime or that some solutions or configurations are not working.

Azure cloud is very much scalable however, you do need to consider your database. If I am scaling the product, the traffic will increase and the database also has to be optimized in that way.

My application is static, so it can be scaled to infinity, but the same cannot be done with the database. The database needs to be sufficient to get the load directly. I cannot go ahead and directly deploy a database with another skill functionality as I have to do some manual effort with downtime involved.

From a scalability perspective, the key database has to be optimized in a better way that can support auto-scaling architecture or scalability architecture.

The initial setup of Microsoft Azure Cosmos DB is straightforward.

Azure is a pay as you go subscription. Each month you utilize the solution and at the end of the month, based upon your utilization, you will get a report and invoice. It depends on the architecture and the services being used, how they are deployed and what the stories are. It is variable.

What other advice do I have?

My general advice to anyone looking to implement Microsoft Azure would be to start small. When you see your application increase or your traffic increase on site, you can slowly scale.

I would rate the solution a seven out of 10 overall.

Microsoft Azure
    Information Technology Administrator at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    Straightforward to set up, stable, easy to use, and well-compliments a solution that includes a relational database
    • "Cosmos DB is stable and easy to use."
    • "Better documentation on how to integrate with other components would be helpful because I was struggling with this."

What is our primary use case?

Cosmos DB is a non-relational, NoSQL database. We are a solution provider and we implement this product for our clients. It is used for integrating and managing unstructured data such as videos, pictures, and other big objects that you cannot include in a standard database tablet. It is made for these kinds of activities.

Some of our customers include banks, where together with their main relational database, it provides a place for keeping track of unstructured data. The relational database is used to store the regular data, whereas Cosmos DB stores what is unstructured.

I also use this product for my own purposes.

What is most valuable?

Cosmos DB is stable and easy to use.

What needs improvement?

Better documentation on how to integrate with other components would be helpful because I was struggling with this. For example, I had trouble finding information on how to integrate with other Microsoft components. Also, consider a situation where you want to use Cosmos DB to manage the uploading of data to your website. Information on how to do things like this should be readily available.

I have been using Microsoft Azure Cosmos DB for less than a month.

Cloud-based solutions like Cosmos DB are quite stable.

This is a scalable product. When I originally used it on the cloud, Microsoft Azure, I tried changing a lot of things such as increasing the memory to see how it performed. The response was quite good.

Technical support is good and they are responsive.

Prior to Cosmos DB, was using MySQL, but it isn't a non-relational database.

The initial setup is straightforward. It was complete in about five minutes.

I deployed it myself.

There is a licensing fee.

What other advice do I have?

This is a good product and I recommend it, especially in cases where people want to keep their information outside of the organization and on the cloud.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Associate Manager at a consultancy with 501-1,000 employees
    Very user-friendly, easy to set up, and scalable
    • "The solution is extremely user-friendly and easy to navigate."
    • "It would be ideal if we could integrate Cosmos DB with our Databricks. At this point, that's not possible."

What is our primary use case?

We are strict users of Microsoft. We use it to deal with huge amounts of data. It's like Databricks and it's structured. All of the sites we have are stored in Cosmos DB.

What is most valuable?

The solution's enhanced performance is its most valuable aspect.

The product is very stable.

We've found the solution to be scalable.

The solution is extremely user-friendly and easy to navigate.

The initial setup is quick and easy.

What needs improvement?

I cannot recall finding any missing features. Everything we need is pretty much there.

It would be ideal if we could integrate Cosmos DB with our Databricks. At this point, that's not possible.

I've used the solution for one year at this point.

The solution is stable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's quite reliable.

The scalability of the solution is very good. If a company wants to expand it, it can.

Currently, we have about 80 users on the solution within our company.

We've had a year of support and they've always been very good. They are helpful and responsive. We're satisfied with the level of support we receive when we need to contact them.

We've always used Microsoft. Previously, we just used a different deployment for Microsoft.

The installation is not complex. It's very straightforward and very easy. It hardly takes more than a few minutes to deploy the product. Everything happens very fast.

I handled the implementation myself. I did not need to hire a consultant or implementor to assist the company during the implementation process.

What other advice do I have?

I am using the latest version of the solution.

Overall, I would rate the solution at an eight out of ten. I have always been very happy with its capabilities.

I would recommend the solution to other organizations.

Lakshman Nimmakayala - PeerSpot reviewer
    Enterprise Cloud Architect at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
    Useful for many use cases, 99.9% availability, and easy to install
    • "Its wide support to the ecosystem is valuable. We can use this database with a lot of use cases, and that's one of the reasons why we prefer it. We have a lot of vendors, databases, and use cases, and wherever possible, we are trying to standardize databases. It is also secure."
    • "At this stage, we would like more enterprise support. We use MongoDB a lot, and we're trying to get rid of MongoDB. So, I would like to see more features in the Cosmos DB API for MongoDB space."

What is our primary use case?

We mostly use it for NoSQL use cases. We use it for web applications, mobile applications, and social applications in the financial sector.

It is deployed on-premises and on the cloud, and we are using its latest version but not the one in the public review.

What is most valuable?

Its wide support to the ecosystem is valuable. We can use this database with a lot of use cases, and that's one of the reasons why we prefer it. We have a lot of vendors, databases, and use cases, and wherever possible, we are trying to standardize databases. It is also secure.

What needs improvement?

At this stage, we would like more enterprise support. We use MongoDB a lot, and we're trying to get rid of MongoDB. So, I would like to see more features in the Cosmos DB API for MongoDB space.

I have been using this solution for almost two years.

It is stable. It has 99.999% availability, and it is backed by SLAs.

We have thousands of users.

We use the cloud version and the on-prem version. We have our on-prem database engineering team. For the cloud, we are okay with their support.

We use MongoDB a lot, and we're trying to get rid of MongoDB.

It is easy to install. I tried it in a testing environment, and it was easy. Database experts should be able to do it easily.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Microsoft Azure Cosmos DB a nine out of 10.

Sr. Engineer at ericsson
    Easy to use and has many features, but expensive with poor customer support

What is most valuable?

The product has a lot of useful features that are there and ready to use, it's also very easy to use.

What needs improvement?

There are features that are ADF only or ADB only, so it would be good to see more cross-compatibility between the two. The solution is also more expensive than the alternatives.

I have been using the solution for over two and a half years.

The solution is stable.

Scalability is very good, you can scale up or down according to your requirements.

I have to say technical support is not very good as it takes too long. Sometimes it can take them two or three days to respond to your ticket.

The setup for this solution isn't complex.

The cost very much depends on the task and on how much data is being processed and transferred.

What other advice do I have?

The cost is the biggest limitation of this solution. I would rate this solution a six out of ten.