Microsoft 365 Business OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Microsoft 365 Business is the #1 ranked solution in top Mobile Device Management (MDM) tools and #4 ranked solution in top Content Collaboration Platforms. PeerSpot users give Microsoft 365 Business an average rating of 8.4 out of 10. Microsoft 365 Business is most commonly compared to Microsoft Intune: Microsoft 365 Business vs Microsoft Intune. Microsoft 365 Business is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 49% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 17% of all views.
Microsoft 365 Business Buyer's Guide

Download the Microsoft 365 Business Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is Microsoft 365 Business?

Microsoft 365 Business is an integrated solution, bringing together the best-in-class productivity of Office 365 with advanced security and device management capabilities to help safeguard your business.

Microsoft 365 Business was previously known as Microsoft 365 E3, Microsoft 365 E5, Microsoft 365 F1, MS 365 Business.

Microsoft 365 Business Customers

Urban Agriculture Co., The Detroit Wallpaper Co., TransBlue Facility Management, Garner Food Company

Microsoft 365 Business Video

Microsoft 365 Business Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Microsoft 365 Business pricing:
  • "The price of the Microsoft 365 Business is fair. It is a great suite of products, but then there are other great products on the market as well. The main concern is competition. With Microsoft generally, it comes down to what people have become familiar with, what people have grown up using when they were younger, and when they are older. It depends on the actual adoption of the environment that they work in. The price is not an issue, it is about what people are used to using, and what they are familiar with is what influences their purchase."
  • "I have one of the business licenses, and then I have a few of the lower-cost ones at six bucks a month. We're a small organization of half a dozen people."
  • "Its price is what you would expect today from a software-as-a-service offering. It is somewhere around $10 per user per month."
  • Microsoft 365 Business Reviews

RicardoPedro - PeerSpot reviewer
    Northern Europe IT Business Intelligence Manager at Adecco
    Very stable, great for collaboration, and can scale easily
    • "The solution can scale up or down easily to meet the needs of any organization."
    • "It would help, if, in the beginning, there was an onboarding process to show how to set it up properly or how to set up the things properly, or how to have the support they need or the guidance on how they should deploy it. In some cases, there are things that are not so crystal clear."

What is our primary use case?

From an Office 365 perspective, I would say that Teams and SharePoint and Planner are the most used. What Office 365 offers as a package is what is being at this moment used in the organization for us to work. At this moment, we are not so physically in the office. The majority of us are working remotely and across countries, across regions. The way for us to collaborate together and work together was by using more and more of Office 365 components.

What is most valuable?

Previously, you had the inconvenience that if you sent an Excel file to someone, you could not work together on the same file, and now you can. With the components that we have available, several people can be working on the same document, at the same time, doing the changes, doing the updates that they need to do. It makes the collaboration and the work more efficient.

We can touch base with our clients and we can touch base internally with our solutions without impacting the work or suffering from a lower speed. The performance and the efficiency of our planning and roadmap are extremely good.

The solution can scale up or down easily to meet the needs of any organization.

The solution is stable.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward.

Technical support is quite helpful and responsive.

What needs improvement?

It would help, if, in the beginning, there was an onboarding process to show how to set it up properly or how to set up the things properly, or how to have the support they need or the guidance on how they should deploy it. In some cases, there are things that are not so crystal clear. The platform is evolving all the time. It's not that you have, let's say, a quarterly release or a yearly release. Every month there's always something new. That's the reason why it's sometimes difficult to follow up as, in different components, in different areas, the features are evolving also.

They need to give more guidance or some video training or try to understand more what the organization is trying to build or accomplish and assist them on their journey. That sometimes is difficult. The companies, for example, sometimes don't know where they want to go. Only after a few years do they have some certainty. IF a big package is being offered to a company, they should be able to sit the decision-makers down and say "Okay, this is what we have. This is what the tools can do, what the tools can offer you." It would give them really important insights. If they have those insights, then they can make a more, let's say, clear decision.

They should show more examples or POCs. They should be able to say "Okay. I can show you, for example, how this solution was beneficial for our Coca-Cola client." I know Microsoft has several clients with various solutions. It's just a question for them to show the portfolio of each solution, and how the solution was going to develop, and how the solution was deployed to those organizations. Then, potential clients can say "Oh, great. I can reuse this solution for my organization." They don't need to think about how they would use the features from scratch when they can have already something that was, let's say, POC developed.

We've been using the solution for years at least at this point. It's been a while.

Microsoft 365 Business
    November 2022
    Learn what your peers think about Microsoft 365 Business. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2022.
    656,862 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The solution is very stable. Even when multiple people are working on the same document, you don't get any sow downs. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

The solution is very scalable and the company is evolving to meet the demands. Microsoft is constantly providing packages and creating packages the allow for more efficient collaboration. They have options for small, medium, and large companies. It suits businesses of all sizes and makes everyone's life much easier.

We do plan to continue to use the solution.

We've dealt with technical support in the past, and they've always been very good. They are knowledgeable and responsive. We're satisfied with the level of support they provide.

It's my understanding that the initial setup is straightforward. It's an IT process. Since it's a cloud solution, every machine has it. You just need an organization email account which allows you to create an account. All the products are automatically assigned to you. The product is based on a subscription model which allows companies to level up or level down depending on the profile of the user. You can offer the user a certain package, or you can offer him an enterprise-level option with basically everything. That way he can have more components and more functionalities that allow him to do his work.

We had found members of the technical team that handled deployment.

Deployments depend on the company. You may need some security, some administrative individuals, or some IT or ServiceNow team members to keep up with the requests or changes or updates that are required to be done in the tool. Depending on the package that we're talking about or depending on the options that you have, not all the users have admin privileges. Random users therefore may need to make a request from an admin user, and that has to go through a ServiceNow process. Everything depends on how the organization wants to set up that structure.

You need someone with an Office 365 background or an administration background, to be able to install what is required or to know what is required. You need someone from a security perspective to make sure that there is no breaches. You might need someone for the network also.

You may need some SharePoint administrator if it's, let's say, topics related to SharePoint. You may need a Teams administrator if it's related to Teams. You may need someone with, let's say, Power Automate or Power Flow expertise and knowledge to also answer those inquiries. It's a deck of people that may be required. If they are going to, let's say, govern the full Office 365 package,  you may need the different people with different expertise or different knowledge across the different components and of each product.

Our IT team handles the implementation and deployment. When they give the laptop to us to work, they already have installed all the components there. Of course, there are certain components that you can install separately. For example, Power BI. You need to install it separately. However, the Power platform, Power Flow, Power Automate, Microsoft Teams, are already incorporated into the Office 365 account. Since it's a cloud solution, it is installed by default based on the user profile that the user has.

I use this solution in a larger organization. They have an enterprise-level package.

The cost depends on the package. If you're working on an E3 license, it depends also on the contract that you have with Microsoft. There is the standard package if you don't have your own business and you are an independent user so that you pay the cost of markets. However, if you are a large enterprise, usually there's an agreement between vendor management and Microsoft to say, "Okay, we have this amount of people. We want this cost more or less to be applied." The cost usually is less than what is in the higher in the market. It differs from contract to contract.

At this moment, we have a great contract with them. The cost that we're paying for it is affordable. The only thing is, some companies may need some additional support, and for Microsoft to follow up with the evolution on the platforms that they have. Sometimes the companies lack some knowledge or some experience.

What other advice do I have?

At this moment, due to the COVID situation, the majority of the things that are being used in the organization are related to Office 365 products. There was a big expansion of Microsoft Teams, for example, and it's one of the most used components inside the organization. We use it not only for meetings but for other tasks such as importing Power BI reports inside of Microsoft Teams.

We have the solution deployed both on-premises and on the cloud. Right now it's more cloud-driven. In the past, there were some things that were on-premise components. At the moment, due to COVID, almost everything is cloud-based. That allows the collaboration to be more efficient. That means you can have several people working on the same document or the same space at the same time.

We're using the latest version of the solution.

I would recommend this solution to other companies.

I would rate it nine out of ten.

Managed IT Services Provider at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
    Professional support, plenty of features, but could be more intuitive
    • "Microsoft 365 Business has an abundance of features."
    • "Google Docs and Google Sheets are much more flexible than Microsoft 365 Business software. Additionally, I have found one of the biggest issues with any of the Microsoft management platforms is they are tremendously unintuitive. However, you get used to it, you accept it, and you work away on it."

What is our primary use case?

Microsoft 365 Business is used within businesses for all the Office applications within the package. The reality is most of my clients are using Google Docs or Google software but some clients need to have an offline solution. They will have Microsoft software that synchronizes to the cloud.  Microsoft 365 Business comes with all the Office software, such as OneDrive, Outlook, and Exchange.  It is good for collaboration and sharing. The largest benefit today is that it integrates with Teams which is quite useful and the overall integration is good.

What is most valuable?

Microsoft 365 Business has an abundance of features.

What needs improvement?

Google Docs and Google Sheets are much more flexible than Microsoft 365 Business software. Additionally, I have found one of the biggest issues with any of the Microsoft management platforms is they are tremendously unintuitive. However, you get used to it, you accept it, and you work away on it.

Google is much more versatile, and they provide a different experience. That is not to say that they are better or worse.

The solution could improve on the synchronization. The synchronization depends on the time of the day and what is happening in the USA. For example, when Americas wakes up, everything slows down at that point but it is to be expected. Sometimes it can take up to 24 hours to synchronize changes. The same is true for Google but they do it differently. There is a lot less frustration around Google Workspace than there is around Microsoft 365.

I have been using Microsoft 365 Business for approximately a couple of years.

The solution is stable. However, the problem with Microsoft, in general, is the management platform is incredibly slow. The synchronization and platform can be very slow because you have one platform with probably millions of dependencies, this can affect performance. You do not have these issues with Google, G Suite, or Google Workspace. When you make any kind of change to Microsoft 365 business, nine times out of ten, it is going to work. It is a very complex platform but it does not have to be.

Microsoft 365 Business is scalable enough.

I have approximately 50 customers using the solution. The majority of my customers are using Google Workspace.

Microsoft technical support is good. A lot of the time I know more than tech support, but that is only because I have been using these solutions for a long time. You have to go through the process to get technical support similar to any big company. They are professional and good communicators. However, it is a bit of a lengthy process to actually get to where you need to go, this is something you have to accept. There are different levels of support and you have to follow the process which is understandable.

I have used Google Workspace.

The implementation of Microsoft 365 Business is easy. You have an installer, you deploy it, and it installs offline. You can also access the solution through the portal.

I have been involved in the implementation of the solution. I work with other companies and their IT departments to oversee the operations. I help with configuration changes, some training, and anything else they might need.

Customers can sign up for an annual commitment where they are paying monthly, but it is an annual commitment. I mostly sell annual commitment and it is paid monthly. Which allows them in certain situations to roll the license over. For example, If someone leaves the company, then the license can be allocated to somebody else without having to buy an additional license.

I have evaluated other solutions.

What other advice do I have?

I have been using Microsoft for over 20 years and when you use Microsoft for a certain period of time, you get used to the way they do things, whether or not you like it, it does not matter. Microsoft is not the most intuitive of platforms, with regards to their Azure cloud. From a UX point of view, I would rate it approximately a six or seven out of ten. However, from a functionality point of view, I would rate it approximately an eight out of ten.

If someone is looking for a fully integrated solution that is not Google, then the next best choice is Microsoft 365. From a cost point of view, Google Workspace and Microsoft costs are not complicated anymore. Microsoft does become more expensive when you start adding on features. Google does not have that issue. I mostly recommend Google Workspace over Microsoft. The only reason somebody would want Microsoft over Google is that they are used to the Microsoft desktop applications. Microsoft Azure is not the most user-friendly platform compared to AWS, for example.  Most of the time, I recommend Google Workspace.

I rate Microsoft 365 Business a seven out of ten.

Microsoft 365 Business
    November 2022
    656,862 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Principal Architect at Microland Limited
    Easy to use and scalable, with lots of new features added regularly
    • "It is easy to use."
    • "If Microsoft could do something about data loss prevention, that would be ideal."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is used heavily at our customer's end. Our businesses involve consulting in a lot of stuff related to accounting and other various business aspects. They are heavy users of Office 365 applications such as Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and, of course, Outlook. Outlook is the lifeline of this business. All business communication happens through it.

What is most valuable?

It is easy to use.

It's mostly stable. There are no issues.

Support can be reached easily.

They are constantly adding new features every week or every month or so. They really think about what the customers need and they work to build that into the product.

The scalability has been good.

What needs improvement?

We had some hiccups where people would inadvertently send things out to external parties. When they realized, they just blame Outlook for being at fault, however, they do not think of themselves as a problem. They do not try to make changes to the behavior that they follow. That's why we are trying to figure out what other solutions are out there - to see which could probably aid end users. We need something to stop them before they send out an email to an external party. If they're prompted to check before sending, we can prevent data from getting leaked out to external parties. I'm not sure if that's a feature that could possibly be added to Outlook.

If Microsoft could do something about data loss prevention, that would be ideal. There needs to be more than just the capability of flagging an end-user.

Of late, the support has been very patchy at Microsoft's end. It's been like this for about one to two years now. From a support perspective, if you want to rank how good the support is, it's probably around seven at this point in time.

There used to be a lot of articles, however, they've dropped off or have gotten removed and therefore there's less available knowledge online. They need to work on building up their documentation again.

The solution could always be a bit more secure.

If there was a way to make the product more intuitive, that would be helpful for the end-users.

We've been using the solution from the start - when Microsoft started with 365. At that time, it was Office 365. Prior to that, it was called Exchange Online. I've been there from the start. It would probably be six to seven years plus of experience that I have with 365.

It is a stable platform. If any issues come up, Microsoft is able to fix them quite easily. Some issues take time. That depends on the complexity of the product. However, overall, from an enterprise standpoint, we are pretty satisfied with Microsoft.

It is scalable. Microsoft is based on a cloud platform. Therefore, anytime we have new users or a new company that is onboarded into our organization, we are able to do it pretty easily. It doesn't take a lot of effort and Microsoft is there to help us out if there are deployment issues.

We have hundreds of thousands of users on the solution.

There are hundreds of people who are in our engineering department and some of them are outsourced. There are more than, I would say, 500 people who are involved in M365. The exact numbers I don't have.

Support is okay, however, it could be better. Over the last few years, I have noticed it is not as consistent as it once was. That's an aspect they could improve.

The initial setup is something I do not deal with. That said, it's a straightforward install for end-users and we have SCCM and Intune that helps in the installation process. Intune is not being used. It's mostly SCCM that is used to deploy applications. Implementation is something that a different group does. I cannot say how good or how bad the experience is. It's my understanding that it just depends.

A couple of years back, before I joined the company as a contractor, they made the switch to Exchange Online. They had a dedicated subscription. There's a public cloud and a private cloud. They have some sort of a private cloud where they have specific servers allocated to this firm. A couple of years back, around three or four years back, the company decided to move out from that into a completely public cloud. Now, the firm is on an entirely public cloud.

The product's cost is based on a monthly license per user. We pay a certain amount per month, per year and that's about it. That's all I know from licensing perspective. It is monthly that it is billed.

What other advice do I have?

I'm a consultant.

Basically, you sign up for the service, you get your email account, and then you get access to something like SharePoint, Teams, and other Microsoft services. It's a complete solution within the cloud.

The product is pretty perfect. I'd rate it at a ten out of ten.

I would say other enterprises should use the solution. A lot of enterprises are using Microsoft 365 because of its strengths and the way new features are released. A lot of customers like us are interested in trying out new products and new features as they come.

Dmitrijs Krupnikovs - PeerSpot reviewer
    Director of business development at SIA BELAM Riga
    Great apps with good functionality and an easy initial setup
    • "The initial setup is very easy."
    • "Teams is, in some respects, lagging behind Skype for Business in some telephone-related features"

What is our primary use case?

We use all aspects of the solution, including SharePoint, Outlook, and Office - whole nine yards.

We're using SharePoint as cloud storage. We are usually using Microsoft Office. We're using Microsoft Project. We are using Microsoft Teams. We're using Skype for business. We're using Excel and Word. We tend to use everything more than average users are using its capabilities.

What is most valuable?

The integration between all of the apps is helpful.

We're using Excel quite a bit, including Visual Basic, including macros, including all kinds of features there, to do reporting and to generate various reports. This is being used, it is good, and its functionality is great.

Microsoft Project is also used quite a bit and we like how easy it is.

However, some things and applications are still not up to speed. For example, I'm talking to you through a Jabra earpiece. If I speak via Skype for Business, and I want to end the conversation, I can press a button on my earpiece and it drops the call. Skype on Teams doesn't work this way.

I find Microsoft Office 365 initial setup is very easy.

The stability is pretty good.

What needs improvement?

Microsoft has different tweaks on various interfaces. If you look, for example, at where the button to update Microsoft Office software is in Word, Excel, and Outlook, they're in three different places. They need to standardize the design in a lot of ways.

Once you update Office, there's a button which takes you to the Microsoft website that is supposed to show what is new in the latest release of Office. It hasn't been updated for at least half a year. Right now, what's listed there is from February.

Teams is, in some respects, lagging behind Skype for Business in some telephone-related features. For example, if I'm talking to you through our Jabra earpiece and if I speak on Skype for Business, and I want to end the conversation, I can press a button on my earpiece and it drops the call. However, Skype on Teams doesn't work this way. This is the telephony side and integration with voice devices could be better.

In Excel, Microsoft is creating better programming functionality, which would allow you to programme without actually programming, which is easier than Visual Basic. They call it Labmda functionality in a beta release, but they have not released it yet. I wish that it would have been available already.

The Office solution has collaborative capabilities, however, it's not as advanced as, for example, Google Docs.

If Word colaborative work on a document works in most cases. However, in Excel, two people can work on the same document, however, it's not truly in real-time.

The product can get expensive. You do need to pay for features and add-ons.

I would not be able to pin down exactly when we started using 365 Business as we have been using Microsoft projects for 25 years. However, when it switched to 365 Business, we started using it. That was a couple of years ago.

The solution is fairly stable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't really have the best real-time collaborative aspects, however, that's more functionality as opposed to stability.

We have about 100 users on the solution so far. We haven't come across any issues with scalability so far.

We have connections to a person who worked at Microsoft, and often, when we have questions, we direct our queries to him instead of Microsoft directly.

We found the initial setup to be quite simple and straightforward. It's not overly complex.

I cannot recall the exact amount of time it took to deploy the solution.

The solution basically maintains itself. It's on the click-to-run version. It does its own updates. I'm trying to be on the biweekly schedule, so that, as soon as they released something new, I'm grabbing it. Sometimes, however, for example, this feature with lambda programming, which was to be released in March, has not come yet.

Beyond that, if any maintenance is needed, we have an IT department that can handle any tasks related to that.

I was able to handle the setup myself. It didn't require us to find an integrator or consultant to help us. It was pretty easy to handle in-house.

The solution can get quite expensive once you add everything that you need as an organization. You do need to pay for product features and add-ons.

What other advice do I have?

We are using the latest version of the solution.

We are currently migrating to the cloud. Most of it's SharePoint, however, it's still a mix of on-prem and cloud. We have to do a complete migration to the cloud eventually.

While there may be some open-source tools on the market, we find that you do get what you pay for and Microsoft does offer quite a bit. In general, I'm mainly used to Microsoft and have been happy with it. I'd recommend it to others.

I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
    Stephen (Office) - PeerSpot reviewer
    President at Farstar SAC Consulting Inc
    Good uptime, easy to onboard new people, and easy to set up
    • "As a small business, the big thing for us is the ability to onboard new people easily. So, it's a matter of minutes to add new users, buy a new license pack for them, assign the licenses to them, and get them logged on. It takes 10 to 15 minutes."
    • "In Teams, it is a little tricky to set up a guest or to become a guest on someone's domain, but if people do that, then you have an improvement in the shared access. The real pain, which is not a big thing, in Teams is if you're a small business user, it is really hard to get somebody on a different domain into your list of contacts. You can't just chat with them or start an instant meeting. That is easier to do with Zoom, which I also use. The real issue in Teams is that if you're not on the same domain, a lot of the good functionality falls apart. You have to actually be a guest in the other person's domain. I have a large customer, and they created a guest account for me in their domain so that I can chat with people inside their organization as though I was inside their organization, but not everybody is willing to do that. Some of my customers are Aerospace and Defense, and nobody gets on their domain."

What is our primary use case?

I'm using all the fundamental stuff such as Outlook, Teams, PowerPoint, and Word. I use Excel an awful lot for data analysis.

What is most valuable?

As a small business, the big thing for us is the ability to onboard new people easily. We have people come on board for both short and long term projects. Getting them a corporate identity through email is important and it needs to be painless.

Through the admin portal, it's a matter of minutes to add new users, assign a license or buy a new license, and get them logged on. It takes 10 to 15 minutes.

What needs improvement?

A lot of the administration is done through the web interface, and that can be a little clunky sometimes. It is changing. They have a legacy interface and the new interface. So, it takes a little while to get used to one over the other, but it is not a huge thing. In the end, it usually works out.

In Teams, it is a little tricky to set up a guest or to become a guest on someone's domain, but if people do that, then you have an improvement in the shared access. The real pain, which is not a big thing, in Teams is if you're a small business user, it is really hard to get somebody on a different domain into your list of contacts. You can't just chat with them or start an instant meeting. That is easier to do with Zoom, which I also use. The real issue in Teams is that if you're not on the same domain, a lot of the good functionality falls apart. You have to actually be a guest in the other person's domain. I have a large customer, and they created a guest account for me in their domain so that I can chat with people inside their organization as though I was inside their organization, but not everybody is willing to do that. Some of my customers are Aerospace and Defense, and nobody gets on their domain. So, if you're in two different domains, the communication sucks, and you're better off picking up your phone, which is bad. If you go back to the old model of Skype, you could add people, and then you could chat with them whether they were in your domain or not.

I have been using this solution for about five years.

It is quite stable. I had no issues, and uptime is good.

I haven't really dealt with tech support. It has been more around admin and billing, but it has been good. I probably needed some help from tech support a long time ago. They have multiple ways to connect. They can connect with you by email, or they can do a Remote Desktop or RDP. You can basically send them your cell phone number and tell them when you're ready for a call, and they'll call you. So, it has been really good.

Setting everything up initially was pretty straightforward. I didn't get the domain name through Microsoft, but I was able to link everything to a domain that I had purchased from a totally different organization.

Essentially, I got the exchange servers connected to a domain that I had purchased from somewhere else. It was pretty easy. The most complex part was where you have to go and set up some of the detailed information relating to the domain name. You have to change some mappings and settings in the MX record when you link it to the domain. You have to go back to where your domain is being hosted and modify the MX records based on the information that Microsoft gives you. It validates that you've got it right and tells you what is working or what is not working. It tells you which settings are or are not correct. So, even though creating MX record entries is a little bit complex, they walk you through it really well

I have one of the higher level business licenses, and then I have a number of very basic, lower-cost cost subscriptions for our short term team members. We're a small organization of a dozen people.

We considered Google but almost all of our customers are Microsoft shops.

What other advice do I have?

I come from an organization of 1,200 people, and around the time I was leaving, everything was being migrated to Office 365. The fact that Teams is bundled with the package now is a big thing because a lot of larger organizations are using Teams, so it lets you connect to them rather well.

I would rate this solution a nine out of 10.

CEO at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    User-friendly with a straightforward setup and good scalability potential
    • "The initial setup is extremely straightforward."
    • "It's a bit complex in itself when you get into items such as security or compliance."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for email, collaboration, some business applications like Sharepoint, and the Exchange server.

How has it helped my organization?

For example, we have depended heavily on it for our remote work capability, we have worked 100% remotely since the Covid-19 pandemic hit.

What is most valuable?

The email on offer is very nice. It's very easy to use. We've enjoyed that aspect so far. It's very clearly laid out.

We can easily collaborate between users with. We can share and work on documents, for example.

The solution has the capabilities to help me organize my week.

The product is very proactive. They know there are issues before we report them and they alert us to the fact that they are working to fix things.

For the most part, the solution is very user-friendly.

The initial setup is extremely straightforward.

What needs improvement?

Microsoft is having some issues now and therefore it may not be the best time to evaluate them. However, they acknowledge that they have the issues. They are working to fix things.

The stability is a real issue right now. It's something that they need to fix.

It's a bit complex in itself when you get into items such as security or compliance. That said, if you're knowledgeable it's no trouble. We are excited to see the end result after the various roll outs that MS is currently carrying on.

I've been using the solution for years. It's been a long time. I have quite a bit of experience with the product.

The stability is not so good. It's an aspect of the solution we really don't like. They need to work on this. There is some stability, however, there are some issues with integrations. I am assuming that these recent stability issues stem from the various rollouts and integration activities that MS is carrying out to better improve the solution.

The solution scales easily. If you want to add people, you simply add them. However, that means you need to buy more licenses, so your cost will go up.

Support can be a bit better, however, they are quite good at being proactive. Usually, they know there is a problem before we do, and by the time we reach out they are working on a fix of some sort.

Some of their support is AI as well, which means that over time, as it learns, it will get better and more effective. Basically, it needs to be a bit more robust. It needs to be more flexible in terms of understanding what you're looking for. That will likely come /improve with time.

We did use Outlook and Exchange, however, the ease of managing a SaaS versus on-prem meant it was more scalable and it's easy to manage. We didn't have to bother with any back-end integration.

The initial setup is not complex at all. It was straightforward for our team. Basically, you log in online and download the software and everything is basically automatically set up so it's easy. You don't have to worry about complexities.

The deployment just takes a few minutes. It's very fast and easy. Of course, the download time depends on the speed of your internet.

We handled the process ourselves. We did not need the assistance of an integrator or consultant. It was all done in-house.

A bit of a tough one to calculate for MS365 but I would say that it is positive, very positive.

The licensing is flexible. You can pay yearly or monthly. It's up to you.

The overall cost is relative. There aren't a lot of other mainstream options, except for maybe Google Email.

Google Apps

What other advice do I have?

We are using the latest version of the solution at this point. I cannot recall the exact version number, however. It may be the 2019 release.

Currently, we have about 30 people on our team.

We do plan to continue to use the solution going forward. We have no plans to change to something else.

I'd recommend this solution to other organizations. I would rate it at an 8 out of 10. The collaboration capabilities we have now are amazing. We really appreciate what it empowers us to achieve.

Ivan Davidov - PeerSpot reviewer
    CTO at a computer software company with 51-200 employees
    Well-integrated, reasonable price, and good stability, but Microsoft Teams should have better performance and SharePoint should have more features
    • "Everything gets integrated. Different services that they provide are well integrated into the entire system, which is the biggest strength of Microsoft products. Everything works together. If I create a Microsoft Teams theme, I get a SharePoint site and planner. Everything, including permissions, is scoped, which is really nice."
    • "Microsoft Teams, which is a video conferencing, chat, and collaboration tool, has some issues with video codecs. It has really bad performance, especially on the Mac OS, and requires a lot of improvements. I'm using MacBook Pro, and the performance of Microsoft Teams is disastrous. It is really unusable. Given our subscription, we get Microsoft Teams for free, but we are often opting to use Zoom or some other tool because the entire computer becomes almost unusable. New age applications should be written in a way that ensures similar performance across different operating systems. I'm not sure how it works on Windows. I assume it works better, but Microsoft needs to ensure that the performance is really good. It should provide the same kind of user experience across different platforms. They can use more efficient development tools when it comes to applications. They seem to be using a technology that uses a lot of resources on our personal computers. I know that Microsoft is pushing a lot of applications to be built in the Office 365 ecosystem, but Microsoft Teams should be a focus because it is a collaboration tool. Its performance and usability need to be better, especially in the times of COVID-19. As a part of management, I use the collaboration tools and video conferencing tools for approximately five or six hours a day. Such issues have a big business impact because the management makes decisions about the tools that are going to be used within the company. SharePoint could somehow be improved or changed to match the features of Confluence from Atlassian. There is an opportunity to do some improvements there."

What is our primary use case?

We are using it for file sharing, office applications, email, and SharePoint.

How has it helped my organization?

We use Microsoft solutions for everything that we do. A part of our software development is done in .NET using Visual Studio and development tools. We use Azure Cloud Platform, and we are also providing services to our client's clients. It would be hard to imagine using something else because we are so used to using Microsoft tools. It is something that you count on having.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

Microsoft Teams, which is a video conferencing, chat, and collaboration tool, has some issues with video codecs. It has really bad performance, especially on the Mac OS, and requires a lot of improvements. I'm using MacBook Pro, and the performance of Microsoft Teams is disastrous. It is really unusable. Given our subscription, we get Microsoft Teams for free, but we are often opting to use Zoom or some other tool because the entire computer becomes almost unusable. New age applications should be written in a way that ensures similar performance across different operating systems. I'm not sure how it works on Windows. I assume it works better, but Microsoft needs to ensure that the performance is really good. It should provide the same kind of user experience across different platforms. They can use more efficient development tools when it comes to applications. They seem to be using a technology that uses a lot of resources on our personal computers. I know that Microsoft is pushing a lot of applications to be built in the Office 365 ecosystem, but Microsoft Teams should be a focus because it is a collaboration tool. Its performance and usability need to be better, especially in the times of COVID-19. As a part of management, I use the collaboration tools and video conferencing tools for approximately five or six hours a day. Such issues have a big business impact because the management makes decisions about the tools that are going to be used within the company.

We have been using this solution for six or seven years.

It is stable if we exclude the issues with Microsoft Teams. I am the technical director of a company that has 130 employees. I don't remember experiencing any kind of issues. There was an outage for a very short period of time about three months ago, but it was nothing bad. Its stability is great.

It is scalable. Everything that we use is based on a cloud source. It is pretty scalable, especially for our needs.

It is used by the entire company. It is an official tool for document management and business apps. We have 130 employees. Its usage will increase. We have the intention to grow as a company, so we will increase its usage accordingly.

We didn't have too much of a need for technical support or any kind of support, but when we needed it, it was okay. I don't remember which support plan we are subscribed to, but it works okay.

It is pretty much straightforward. It cannot be configured for the first time by someone who is not trained to configure it. You need help from basically your cloud service provider (CSP). Your CSP will provide resources to do the initial configurations. Such tools are not easy to configure for the first time, but everything else is pretty much intuitive. If you have an IT background, it should be intuitive and easy.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise making sure that someone experienced with Microsoft Office 365 platform and ecosystem is leading your organization. Otherwise, find a great partner to help you and guide you through the implementation process.

I would rate Microsoft 365 Business a seven out of ten. A couple of things can be better.

Operations Manager at a computer software company with 1-10 employees
    Stable with good security and an easy initial setup
    • "The solution is very easy to use. It's completely transparent and extremely easy to navigate."
    • "The technical support process could be a bit more secure. The information should stay within the ticketing system itself and not be passed via email."

What is our primary use case?

We are using the product primarily for all of our internal documentation and exchanges. The use cases are nothing special. It's quite basic for the most part.

What is most valuable?

The fact that it's completely on the cloud is one of its most useful aspects. We do not have to manage anything.

We use the Office and Teams mostly. They are very helpful applications for our office.

The solution is very easy to use. It's completely transparent and extremely easy to navigate.

The stability is quite good.

We found the installation to be very simple.

The solution offers good security and compliance.

What needs improvement?

From time to time we have some issues with OneDrive. OneDrive is not perfect. It's nice, however, from time to time we have some problems specifically with reloading the replication. We have to set it up again and again. It's not very stable.

We've been using the solution for three years or so. We've used it for a while now.

The solution has proven to be quite stable. Its performance is good. There are no bugs or glitches and it doesn't crash or freeze on us.

We don't really scale the solution. We're a pretty small company. We're only three users, and therefore do not need to scale at all. Therefore, I can't really speak to its capabilities. However, in the future, we are likely to expand usage.

I've only had one experience with technical support. It was not for me. It was for one of the customers. However, the experience was really, really good.

Once it was finished, they ask for feedback. Technical support was perfect, however, the ticketing system was not that great. Once you've created a ticket, all the next steps are through email. Yet, if there is an email or something which is private, it should not be sent by email. That's why they have to improve the ticketing process. They should send a link to your ticket via email and always keep the information itself within the ticketing system.

The company is quite new. Before I was working at a bigger company which was completely different. However, when we started this new business, we decided to make it as simple as possible for us. That's why we decided to move to the cloud completely.

We also use Zoho for the cloud, for all our accounting, and invoicing, and so on. There is no Microsoft offering for that. It's completely separate. There is no link between them.

The initial setup is not difficult or overly complex. It's pretty straightforward and simple.

The deployment is quick and only takes a few clicks. Implementation is only a few minutes. From an end-user point of view, it's even faster as it's just a click or two.

We don't need anyone to handle deployment or maintenance.

We handle the implementation ourselves. We have an IT team and we are quite capable of managing the implementation. Therefore we don't need the assistance of any integrators or consultants.

We have a license that we pay on a monthly basis.

We did not evaluate other options before choosing Microsoft.

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer and an end-user.

We are using the latest version of the solution.

We are like customers. Even if we do not sell these kinds of services, when customers ask us for advice, we recommend them to move to Microsoft. One of our business lines is in GDPR. For that, we recommend them to move to something which is completely secure. Microsoft Office 365 is one of them. We recommend customers move to Office 365 for that reason.

I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten.