Luxul Switches OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Luxul Switches is the #4 ranked solution in top AV Over IP Switching tools and #23 ranked solution in top Ethernet Switches. PeerSpot users give Luxul Switches an average rating of 6.0 out of 10. Luxul Switches is most commonly compared to Ubiquiti UniFi Switches: Luxul Switches vs Ubiquiti UniFi Switches. Luxul Switches is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 53% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 12% of all views.
Luxul Switches Buyer's Guide

Download the Luxul Switches Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is Luxul Switches?

Luxul is the leading innovator of simple-to-deploy professional grade IP networking solutions made just for custom installation professionals. Designed for use in both residential and commercial environments, the Luxul family offers a complete line of solutions that simplify network design and deployment—resulting in a scalable network that is both powerful and easy to install. With Luxul, installers can deliver the ultimate IP network without the complexity associated with traditional networking gear. All Luxul products include free lifetime support and a three-year limited warranty. Plus, Luxul equipment is available only through authorized distributors of residential and commercial integration products.

Luxul Switches Video

Luxul Switches Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Luxul Switches pricing:
"The price completely depends on the environment. There are no additional fees."

Luxul Switches Reviews

Paul Krakowiak - PeerSpot reviewer
Owner/Operator at KPax Audio Video - Networking & Security Surveillance
Reseller
Rock-solid connectivity and WiFi coverage
  • "The ePoE+ is great."
  • "The documentation could be improved; it's quite basic."

What is our primary use case?

We use these switches for internal network distribution and local RR networks. We also use them for supplying voiceover IP. We use them for PoE+ depending on the configuration and what our customers needs. Sub-netting a visible part of the network.

How has it helped my organization?

No matter where I am, I have access to the routers. I don't have to do on-site visits to perform server upgrades — I can do that remotely. I receive a notification if the product goes offline due to an issue with the internet service provider or a router issue.

It's nice because I have easy access to them for troubleshooting. I can even remotely login to the routers themselves. This way, if a customer requires something, I don't have to go to their physical location. It's pretty much bulletproof if you want to use the two access points from the router or a single access point to the router.

What is most valuable?

All of my customers, including residential and commercial clients, are extremely happy with these switches.

The XWR-3150 routers can support two different location access points by themselves, which is very convenient. The proximity is roughly 600 feet, point to point, so it's quite stable.

The ePoE+ is great. Most commercial installations use voiceover IP; however, not all individual users or residential users use voiceover IP. What I use depends on whether I am designing a setup for a customer network, or residential property. For a house, I typically install between 16 to 24 ports — no less than 12 ports. Commercial properties are a completely different story because they're working on particular projects. For example, for a recent commercial project, I installed 48-port switches, 24 of which were ePoE+. That flexibility is very valuable to our customers.

What needs improvement?

It's a hardwired solution so our customers do not have to use a mesh network — I really dislike that. It causes too much delay, etc.

As with any product, there is always room for improvement. A good router is not cheap. A good switch is not cheap. Let's say somebody develops a new frequency — 7GHz. Well, in that case, you'd need a special router. I have some customers who request Cat7 for their homes.

That's way too much. So I'd say, "What are you going to run over here? Let's just run fiber optics. Then the customer will respond, "Well, I read somewhere and other people have told me that if you're going to wire your house, go with Cat7." I'd say, "Sir, you're not going to even utilize Cat5e." I use Cat5e, and believe it or not, I can pump at 10 gigabits per second with Cat5e.

The same was true with ePoE — now we have ePoE+. Some switches with ePoE cannot supply as much juice as the modern ePoE+, which requires much more power. The basic switch doesn't have the capacity to deal with that.

The documentation could be improved; it's quite basic. It pretty much just covers some basic IP information, defense, and how to change the administrator password — that's pretty much it. I am a dealer, I shouldn't have to contact support for basic answers.

Luxul Switches
November 2022
Learn what your peers think about Luxul Switches. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2022.
657,849 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I have been using Luxul Switches for six years.

The routers feature rock-solid connectivity and rock-solid wifi coverage — that's what my customers love. It doesn't matter if a router is one, two, or even three years old, they're rock-solid. Once they're installed, no one has to touch them.

Luxul Switches are highly scalable.

They have controllers which can support up to 48 access points. There was one case where a router somehow lost 5GHz of frequency transmission — I had to replace it. Otherwise, when the router is set, our customers don't have to reboot it whatsoever.

Luxul provides me with pretty good technical support. I'd say they're very good.

We used to use Cisco switches, but we stopped using them because they were too expensive, certification was a hassle, and they were too complicated, etc.

The initial setup is quite straightforward. I can deploy a router in less than five minutes.

There is virtually no maintenance involved as I have full access, remotely, to every switch. I can update them and change the configuration from anywhere. For this reason, only one person is required for maintenance.

The customer pays for the physical product; there is no licensing. The price completely depends on the environment. There are no additional fees.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of nine.

Everything is stable so far. Over the past six years, I've only ever experienced one issue with a router. I had to replace it because the 5GHz SSID stopped working — nobody knows what happened. Still, I had a replacement up and running within two hours. If they improved their documentation, I would give Luxul a rating of ten.

Paul Krakowiak - PeerSpot reviewer
Owner/Operator at KPax Audio Video - Networking & Security Surveillance
Reseller
Greatly simplifies troubleshooting; remote access to the router is a huge time saver
  • "Remote access to the router is a huge time saver."
  • "Documentation and access to it could be greatly improved."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for internal network distribution and for supplying voiceover IP. It depends on customer requirements but usually it's easier to set up voiceover IP, ePoE from the switch. The routers, such as XWR-3150, can support two different location access points, which is very convenient. It's a hard wire and customers do not have to use a mesh network which causes delays. Luxul can be used for 600 feet point to point. I'm the operator and owner and we are resellers and distributors of Luxul.

How has it helped my organization?

I have remote access to the router. I don't have to do site visits to carry out a server upgrade and I get notifications if a product goes offline. It's simple for troubleshooting. If a customer requires something, I don't have to move. It's fail proof if you want to use the two access points from the router or single access point to the router. It saves a lot of time.

What is most valuable?

The ePoE+ is valuable because if we're talking about a commercial installation, they're using voiceover IP. I'm usually putting in 16 to 24 ports. It's valuable.

What needs improvement?

The solution has a problem with documentation. Luxul doesn't want to give the documentation to any Joe Bloggs, but even as a dealer going to the Luxul portal, there are no documents. I can always call technical support and ask them if I forget something and I'll get the support, but I shouldn't need to do that. Anything can be improved and unfortunately a good switch is not cheap but there's no choice if you need a special router.

I've been using this solution for six years.

It's a rock-solid connectivity and a rock-solid Wi-Fi coverage, which is what my customers love. It doesn't matter if a router is one, two or three years old. Nobody has to touch it.

Scalability is good, they have controllers that can support 48 access points. I had only one case where the router lost 5GHz frequency transmission. Otherwise customers don't need to reboot the router.

I have pretty good technical support from Luxul, taking into account that I'm one of their reseller dealers.

We previously used Cisco but moved to Luxul because of the pricing, the complexity, the Cisco certification, and because of the supply distributors.

The initial setup is straightforward, it can be done in five minutes. There's almost no maintenance required because if a network is based on everything including the router, I have full access to every single switch, so any updates or changes can be done remotely.

What other advice do I have?

I have full access to the commercial grade Luxul product. They are extremely easy to program if you know what you're doing. I see Cisco's advantage if we're talking about the security and extra programming, but for the past six years I've used Luxul and all my customers, residential and commercial, are extremely happy.

Luxul loses a point because of poor documentation, so I will rate this solution a nine out of 10.

Luxul Switches
November 2022
657,849 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Director of Product Management at a engineering company with 11-50 employees
Good pricing, but needs better UI and is only built for smaller-sized setups
  • "The solution is less expensive than other options."
  • "You do need to be an IT person in order to handle the initial setup. An AV person would struggle a bit."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as AV over IP, which means you use the switch transport for audio-video. You use the encoder in code, with the video audio into the IP package, and then send them over the network switch and the switch you need to support a multicast.

What is most valuable?

The solution is excellent for audio-video and multi-casting.

The Luxul package is excellent overall. It works well for the audio-visual industry.

The solution is less expensive than other options.

There are lots of features and functionalities.

What needs improvement?

While the solution is good for the light commercial market or for the residential market, it's not ideal for the commercial market, for example, a big enterprise or data center. They are not useful. They are not good for that.

The UI should be easy to use. With all of the features and functionalities, it's very important for the engineers and for the end-users that it's easier to navigate. It needs to be simplified.

I've used the solution for several months at this point.

The solution is a very famous brand in the AV industry. It has a good reputation. It's stable and offers good performance. There aren't bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze.

I haven't tested the scalability at all. They have the uplink 10G backing ports, however, I haven't tested them. I just used the single Luxul application and for the big solutions, I would probably rather recommend a company uses NETGEAR, Cisco, or Juniper. I won't recommend this product if a company is looking to scale. It's not meant to be a big solution.

Technical support isn't the best. I sometimes can't even find a CLI user manual or some material. From what I gather is that Luxul, I need to have a user manual to get the help I need.

I'm also familiar with Cisco and Netgear.

Items such as Cisco or Juniper are very professional and have very good features, however, they are also expensive. That is the problem.

While the solution is straightforward, it's really only that way if you have some IT background. If you have no IT background, for example, and instead if you are an AV, audio-video, engineer, it's maybe a bit difficult to wrap your head around. For an IT person, on the other hand, it's very easy.

The pricing of the solution is quite good. It's affordable and pretty reasonable. It's less costly than, for example, Cisco.

That said, I do not know the exact costs as that is not part of my responsibility. I don't handle payments or licensing.

What other advice do I have?

I use a 48 1G PoE switch.

We sometimes sell the product to customers.

In general, I would rate the solution at a six out of ten.

Download our free Luxul Switches Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: November 2022