Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

Informatica PowerExchange OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Informatica PowerExchange is #30 ranked solution in top Data Integration Tools. PeerSpot users give Informatica PowerExchange an average rating of 7.4 out of 10. Informatica PowerExchange is most commonly compared to Informatica PowerCenter: Informatica PowerExchange vs Informatica PowerCenter. Informatica PowerExchange is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 79% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 19% of all views.

Download the Data Integration Tools Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is Informatica PowerExchange?

Informatica PowerExchange Connectors provides high performance, out-of-the-box connectivity without having to develop custom data access programs.

Informatica PowerExchange was previously known as PowerExchange, Connectors.

Informatica PowerExchange Customers

ACH Food, BNSF Railway Company, Illinois State University

Informatica PowerExchange Video

Informatica PowerExchange Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Informatica PowerExchange pricing:
  • "The cost of PowerExchange is reasonable. It does not rely on complicated formulas or unrealistic equations. The pricing model is straightforward. There is one component, and real-time integration is included. Some other solutions require purchasing additional modules or third-party plugins for this capability."
  • "An annual package license fee is required."
  • Informatica PowerExchange Reviews

Mohamed Elkady - PeerSpot reviewer
    Data Management Consultant & Delivery Manager at IME
    Powerful real-time capabilities, but it lacks failover and high availability
    • "The main benefit of PowerExchange is its native real-time capabilities. Competing tools are counting on third-party packages or Oracle to offer real-time capabilities. However, Informatica has a native ability to scan the data on the file system level and capture the changes almost instantly when I push it to the consumers. The solution has a powerful built-in replication engine."
    • "The major shortcoming of PowerExchange is high availability and failover. None of the versions we've used to date have had the out-of-the-box ability to enable failover and high-availability requirements. This is a significant challenge and risk."

What is our primary use case?

We use PowerExchange for operational analytics. Some customers need us to collect data events in real time and push them into some central place like an operational hub or database and build insights on top of it. It gives us business insights into whatever is happening in the organization in real time.

We have around 20 to 30 engineers enabled on the real-time and PowerExchange products.

What is most valuable?

The main benefit of PowerExchange is its native real-time capabilities. Competing tools are counting on third-party packages or Oracle to offer real-time capabilities. However, Informatica has a native ability to scan the data on the file system level and capture the changes almost instantly when I push it to the consumers. The solution has a powerful built-in replication engine.

What needs improvement?

The major shortcoming of PowerExchange is high availability and failover. None of the versions we've used to date have had the out-of-the-box ability to enable failover and high-availability requirements. This is a significant challenge and risk.

PowerExchange's engine also lacks support for some data types. We are capturing data in a raw format, and there are also some data types like XML structure or big objects that are still hosted, so there are sometimes problems importing data. If it's not supported, you won't be able to build your scenario. Those are two main challenges that hopefully will be covered with any subsequent or new releases.

We've been using Informatica PowerExchange for seven or six years.

September 2022
    Find out what your peers are saying about Informatica, Qlik, Oracle and others in Data Integration Tools. Updated: September 2022.
    632,611 professionals have used our research since 2012.

PowerExchange's performance is great. The stability is acceptable. Sometimes it fails because of a high resource load, but it's adequate.

PowerExchange isn't flexible in terms of scalability. This is the nature of the product. For example, you cannot run multiple instances in high availability or active mode.

Informatica support is good. They are helpful whenever we have a challenge that requires a custom fix.

We work with various solution vendors. For example, we use IBM Confluent for messaging and streaming, Tibco for application and data integration, etc.

I would compare PowerExchange to Oracle GoldenGate for real-time integration. GoldenGate consumes more resources from CPU and memory, but it's more stable, and the performance benchmark is higher.

The investment is bigger than Informatica. Informatica is moving to the cloud, so the investment required for real-time stuff and on-prem integration is not like before. I always compare to GoldenGate when choosing a technical solution. They're doing quite well in real-time integration.

Deploying PowerExchange is average. It's not an easy GUI-based setup, but it's not that complicated, either. It requires some effort, but I wouldn't say it's difficult. The installation took a few days, but full end-to-end implementation takes around a month.

It requires some maintenance because there is no automatic failover and high availability. If it crashes, a qualified engineer has to take care of the instance and turn it on again or manually intervene to start it on a new machine.

We did it by ourselves. Our team has qualified engineers who can handle the implementation. Some issues required hotfixes from Informatica, and they were cooperating as much as they could.

The cost of PowerExchange is reasonable. It does not rely on complicated formulas or unrealistic equations. The pricing model is straightforward. There is one component, and real-time integration is included. Some other solutions require purchasing additional modules or third-party plugins for this capability.

At the same time, you can't just consider the cost of the license. You also need to dedicate a lot of resources and provide real-time support. It's a journey that must be assessed from different angles, including licensing, maintenance after deployment, operational headaches, etc.  You need to calculate the investment from different angles.

What other advice do I have?

I rate PowerExchange seven out of 10. My advice to people considering PowerExchange is that you need to have a strong business case to justify investing in a real-time solution.

It has to bring value to the organization because it's not a straightforward journey. Real-time implementation creates a lot of operational headaches. You have to take care of everything to run in real time. You have to run patches and ETLs every hour, every two hours, or every morning.

Anirban Bhattacharya - PeerSpot reviewer
    Vice President at a tech vendor with 10,001+ employees
    Excellent underlying metadata, monitoring and auditing components; compatibility with a very wide variety of data sources
    • "Provides a significant amount of control over the landscape and overall implementation."
    • "Should diversify more, maybe with a reporting and visualization utility,"

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for carrying out data integration and transformation from across different types of sources, different types of data stores and types of data. Our goal is to bring in data from diverse sources at a very fast pace and in very large volumes. It has to diversify and we have to strike a balance between the two. We partner with Informatica and I'm practice head of data analytics.

How has it helped my organization?

We have brought in a lot of value to our customers leveraging this technology, large customers featuring 100 Millions of customers and beyond

What is most valuable?

A valuable feature is the way it utilizes a push down optimization. This teradata is a fantastic combination of BDO and I think is one of the features which has really been very prominent and very effective. You're using the Hadoop ecosystem to do a significant amount of necessary processing and you're using the internal transformation engine of Informatica to do that.

Another feature of the solution is coupling up and seamlessly driving the underlying stock jobs or scoop jobs which are essentially executable within the Hadoop ecosystem. This provides a significant amount of control over the landscape and overall implementation.

A further element is the underlying metadata and the monitoring and auditing components which Informatica provides. If you're running a complex next gen, powerful analytics and modern BI analytics platform or an ecosystem, then I think these three things along with the integration with external sources and external components is seamless in terms of an SMS engine or an email or even offering integration with WhatsApp.

Along with that, Informatica has been trying to spread its tentacles across stuff like Data Life Cycle Management and a lot of things in MDM, etc. Overall it's a rich toolkit and covers a very wide aspect of data management.

What needs improvement?

I think Informatica could be improved if they were to get into the data exploitation side of things. The value chain of exporting, reporting, visualizing, etc. That seems to be a blind spot for Informatica. If it were to diversify a little more, maybe with the reporting and visualization utility, it would be an add-on to PowerExchange. From a product strategy, Informatica seems to be getting fragmented by diversifying to various product lines and then going into the market.

If I were to have any additional features, it would be diagnostics and reporting visualization.

I've been using this solution for more than a year.

What other advice do I have?

Informatica is possibly the world leader in this field and has been for the last several years.  It has features and functionalities which has made it the world leader for such a long period of time. It's a fully equipped and compatible solution with big data and it's able to drive and achieve the best of both worlds.

I would rate this product a nine out of 10.

September 2022
    632,611 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Software Test Automation Engineer at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Enables us to retrieve and share data from a variety of systems but it could be more user-friendly

What is our primary use case?

The solution can connect to different systems i.e. mainframe, IMS or AS/400 Legacy Systems.

What is most valuable?

The target system is Legacy Systems.

What needs improvement?

The solution could be made more user-friendly. The configurations are also quite difficult.

I have been using this solution for a few years.

It is a stable solution.

It is a scalable solution depending on the environment which it is hosted.

The initial setup was a little difficult to configure.

An annual package license fee is required.

Download our free Data Integration Tools Report and find out what your peers are saying about Informatica, Qlik, Oracle, and more!
    Updated: September 2022