IBM MaaS360 OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

IBM MaaS360 is the #6 ranked solution in top Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) tools. PeerSpot users give IBM MaaS360 an average rating of 7.4 out of 10. IBM MaaS360 is most commonly compared to Microsoft Intune: IBM MaaS360 vs Microsoft Intune. IBM MaaS360 is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 50% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 18% of all views.
IBM MaaS360 Buyer's Guide

Download the IBM MaaS360 Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is IBM MaaS360?

IBM MaaS360 is an EMM solution that allows you to configure devices for enterprise access and protect corporate data on smartphones and tablets – all from a single screen. As a robust integrated cloud platform, MaaS360 simplifies mobile device management (MDM) with visibility, rapid deployment, and control that spans across apps, mobile devices, and data. It also secures apps, laptops, smartphones, tablets, wearables, desktops, the Internet of Things (IoT) devices, and data so you can rapidly scale your remote workforce and bring your own device (BYOD) initiatives.

IBM MaaS360 can help you build a zero-trust strategy with modern device management. Deployment is so fast that in just a few clicks, IT admins can start enrolling devices and quickly manage the entire mobile device lifecycle. They can do everything from enrollment to enterprise integration, support, configuration and management, monitoring and security, analytics, and reporting.

IBM MaaS360 Features

IBM MaaS360 has many valuable key features. Some of the most useful ones include:

• Workforce management: Manage and secure any remote workforce in minutes with rapid deployment.
  • Information security: Support a safer way to access, create, sync, and edit all business documents on mobile devices.
  • Manage security risks: Provide users with seamless data access while remotely managing threats.
  • Secure access: Grant secure access to company resources from any mobile device, without a VPN.
  • Identity management and security: Integrate seamless identity and access management with United Endpoint Management.

IBM MaaS360 Benefits

There are many benefits to implementing IBM MaaS360. Some of the biggest advantages the solution offers include:

• Provision, manage, and protect your devices from a single console.
  • Configure email, contacts, calendar, Wi-Fi, and VPN profiles over-the-air to quickly onboard users.
  • Experience launch day support for the latest mobile operating system releases for iOS, Android, and Windows.
  • Set and enforce security policies with automated compliance actions like requiring a device passcode and blocking a compromised device.
  • Use robust dashboards and reporting to manage both personal and corporate devices.
  • Increases security and compliance enforcement.
  • Easily integrates with your existing infrastructure.
  • Reduces cost of supporting mobile assets.
  • Enhances application and performance management.
  • Contains powerful management and security to address the entire mobility lifecycle.
  • Helps ensure better business continuity.
  • Increases productivity and employee satisfaction.
  • Simple and fast, with an exceptional customer experience.

Reviews from Real Users

MaaS360 stands out among its competitors for a number of reasons. Some of these include its mobile device and laptop management, robust security, and complete sync with Active Directory. PeerSpot users take note of the advantages of these features in their reviews:

Claudia G., a Cybersecurity Consultant at Telefónica, mentions, “My customers value the ability to control all their devices from a central point in IBM MaaS360. I rate IBM MaaS360 a nine out of ten.”

Okoro A.., a CEO at a ITANDT Solutions Limited notes, “The most valuable features are mobile device management and security (which allows you to quarantine infected devices).”

IBM MaaS360 was previously known as Fiberlink MaaS360, MaaS360.

IBM MaaS360 Customers

Bancroft, Garuda Indonesia

IBM MaaS360 Video

Archived IBM MaaS360 Reviews (more than two years old)

Monica Sapp - PeerSpot reviewer
VP of Information Technology at Queen City Hospice
Easy to locate and wipe lost devices, easy to set up, and they offer good support
  • "The most valuable feature is the fact that we can find a lost device or shut the device down and wipe it is good for HIPAA."
  • "The look needs to be updated and it could be simpler to use."

What is our primary use case?

We use it to configure policies on all of our mobile devices for our field staff.

How has it helped my organization?

It helps us with HIPAA compliance, and it meets the standards for that.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the fact that we can find a lost device or shut the device down and wipe it, which is good for HIPAA.

What needs improvement?

The look needs to be updated and it could be simpler to use.

The portal itself looks old and outdated.

I would like to see more automation and better reporting. Their reports are a bit archaic.

IBM MaaS360
November 2022
Learn what your peers think about IBM MaaS360. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2022.
655,711 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I have been working with this solution for a year and a half.

We are using the latest version.

It's a stable solution, we haven't experienced any issues.

We haven't had to scale it but it's pretty easy to add a license to it.

There are three in the IT department who are using this solution in our organization.

Technical support is pretty good and responsive. I would rate them an eight out of ten.

We had a couple of issues, where we had to go through two or three different people to get a resolution.

Previously, I did not use another solution. At this company, this was already in place when I came here. This is what they had.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward.

Fees are monthly and it's approximately $8 per user.

What other advice do I have?

It's a solid product and it gets the job done. It just needs to be a little bit more updated in the look and feel of it.

I would rate this solution an eight out of ten. It's a good product and just needs to be easier to find things in the portal and move your way around. Having it a bit more explanatory would be helpful.

Private Cloud

Other
Vice President, Information Technology and Project Management Office at a pharma/biotech company with 51-200 employees
The ability to send a device out to someone and have it auto-provision is fantastic
  • "The ability to send an iPad out to someone and have them auto-provision it when they are out in the field is fantastic. We don't have to have it all configured before we ship it. This is probably the biggest value add."
  • "We opted to go with Microsoft Intune because it just seemed to be a more mature and comprehensive enterprise solution, whereas IBM MaaS360 didn't seem to have the necessary breadth to manage all of our equipment. Along with laptops, I've had some BYODs. IBM MaaS360 just didn't seem as mature in our assessment."

What is our primary use case?

We use IBM MaaS360 for the iPads of our field sales reps. We use it to ensure that they are only using authorized apps, and these apps are maintained and have the latest version.

What is most valuable?

The ability to send an iPad out to someone and have them auto-provision it when they are out in the field is fantastic. We don't have to have it all configured before we ship it. This is probably the biggest value add.

What needs improvement?

Our company was founded in May of last year, and we launched our sales force in September of last year. We have been using IBM MaaS360 since then, that is, for more than a year. We are using the latest version.

It is stable.

It is scalable for the field sales reps. It didn't seem to be as scalable for the enterprise across multiple platforms. We have around 70 users.

What other advice do I have?

We have IBM MaaS360 for our iPads, but we are using Microsoft Intune for our laptops and our BYODs. When our licensing expires, we will migrate our iPads from IBM MaaS360 to Microsoft Intune.

Considering that we are moving to Microsoft Intune, I should ideally not recommend this solution, but there's no reason to not recommend it for the iPads of your sales force. It is a very standard solution. There is lots of knowledge out there and lots of resources who are experts in the solution. It is not a bad solution to use. If I had just the sales force, using IBM MaaS360 is a great way to manage their iPads.

I would rate IBM MaaS360 an eight out of ten.

Private Cloud
IBM MaaS360
November 2022
655,711 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Hans Van Oorschot - PeerSpot reviewer
Engineer at Caldoo
Provides basic security with a friendly user interface; simple to implement
  • "The solution is easy to implement."
  • "Local technical support would be helpful."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case for us is to bring down enrollment and to make it more flexible for the company. The solution is good for small to large enterprise organizations. We have 100,000 devices that have the solution installed. I'm an engineer.

What is most valuable?

I really value the ease of implementation. Within a couple of days you can quickly roll out several hundred devices. We didn't need more than that, but I'm convinced that it's possible and that it wouldn't matter if the device is not an iOS or a Windows 10 device. Those operating systems are possible and available within MaaS. The product provides basic security and when you need more, it's fairly easy to bring that in with third parties or a single sign-on MFA. That kind of thing is in place and available for the company.

The interface is very user-friendly. You just click and go. It's quite different from something you would get on Intune. I don't like that interface, the Microsoft interface is more suited to technical people.

What needs improvement?

Sometimes I would like to have local support because a company that provides 24/7 support means that the technical support staff are not always fluent English speakers. My English is  not fluent, but it's better to have an English speaker. It's sometimes hard to make yourself understood. We are looking at that now with the single sign-on and MFA, but that's been fairly smooth.

I've been using this solution for four years.

In the last four, five years, it's never failed and I've never had a problem. It was always there. When there are new releases from iOS or something, we implement. I've never experienced downtime problems whatsoever.

The solution is scalable, it works from anything and up to 100,000. That's scalable enough for me. I know two companies who have more than 100,000 devices. It's also worldwide. One environment works worldwide. Employees are working worldwide around the globe and are connected to MaaS360 on all their devices. Our specific organization has about 3,000 users and we are expanding the number of devices.

The technical support is 24/7, 365 days a year. Sometimes you get the answer fairly quickly. Sometimes it needs more of a description or more searching for the right answer. I think that also depends on the case itself. Integration of lots of other products like ERP systems or CRM systems is very easy.

We tried some other solutions, but they weren't so flexible and also there was not a real unified endpoint management. You could only do, say, smartphones and tablets, no laptops or desktops. I have some minimal experience with Intune which has a very different user interface. The Intune unified endpoint management is really based on Microsoft products. When you want to put in apps other than Microsoft, you have to do a few things beforehand. That's not the case with the MaaS. It doesn't matter what sort of apps you want. It's all perfect.

ROI depends on the price and also on the organization. When you have an organization with a lot of problems and a lot of devices to be enrolled when there is nothing in place, then I would say you get the ROI in three months. When you don't have it, when you already have something in place, the return on investment could be all right. What we see is that the return of investment comes easily when you start from nothing.

I think pricing is very good at the moment. I don't know all the pricing of all the products in the market, of course, but it's reasonable, and depending on the amount of devices it can be cheaper. What I also like is that there is no vendor lock-in. I'm not pushed to use all the products of the same vendor. It's an open product, it's an open platform. I like that.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend trying this product it because it's easy to start. You will be surprised at the possibilities, the flexibility and the opportunities within MaaS360.

I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.

Marut Tanatip - PeerSpot reviewer
Manager of Strategic Products Sales at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Reseller
Provides good security, but features for laptop management could be improved
  • "Mobile Device Management, Secure Productivity Suite, and document management are valuable features."

What is most valuable?

Currently, we use the Mobile Device Management, Secure Productivity Suite, and document management. We distribute mobile phones to people starting in our company and we use these features of Maas360 for management. Our employees use the secure email. Maas360 also supports BYOD.

What needs improvement?

Regarding laptop management, some features are not right. IBM needs to improve the features for the laptop.

It also needs a feature to restrict USBs.

Three to five years.

No issues with stability.

It's definitely scalable.

IBM support has not been that helpful. I have contacted chat support but they could not give a useful answer. Sometimes, we have to solve problems by ourselves. Sometimes we find the documents we need in IBM PartnerWorld, but the chat help staff is not able to give helpful information.

The setup is easy to do, for me. It's not complex.

When compared with competitors, I think the pricing is okay.

What other advice do I have?

For security, it is good. But at times it's quite slow, like when I access through the portal. And when we change policies, sometimes that takes a long time.

Soporte a ventas at BlueIT
    User
    Reduced the number of support incidents by limiting users' access to device configurations
    • "​The graphic, friendly interface allowed us to start without almost any ​support from the manufacturer.​​​"
    • "It can change policies based on geolocation or schedules."
    • "It helped us reduce the number of support incidents by limiting users' access to device configurations."
    • "It allows us to have an updated inventory of all the devices in real-time with the ability to add personalized information."
    • "They should allow for the building of custom reports with graphics."
    • "It would be ideal to add support for the distribution of windows.exe applications."

What is our primary use case?

I participated in the implementation of MaaS360 for around 300 Android and iOS devices, for which different restrictions and security profiles were required. MaaS360 helped us to have the console ready in less than 10 minutes and start enrolling devices immediately. The process did not take more than two days.

The graphic, friendly interface allowed us to start without almost any support from the manufacturer.

How has it helped my organization?

It is focused on safety and productivity. It is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. It offers support for Windows 10, 8.1, 8, and 7 devices.

What is most valuable?

• Policy-based quick configuration
    • Changes policies based on geolocation or schedules
    • Embedded antivirus
    • Integration with TeamViewer
    • Access to the MaaS360 Web API
    • Ability to disable keys (buttons) of the device, etc.

What needs improvement?

• It would be ideal to add support for the distribution of windows.exe applications.
    • They should allow for the building of custom reports with graphics.

Three to five years.

It requires zero investment in infrastructure since it is 100% cloud.

Alexandr Logach - PeerSpot reviewer
    Independant IT Consultant with 501-1,000 employees
    ​Even if you're thinking about the on-premise installation, try the cloud solution first
    • "Mobile Device Configuration with policy applying: This significantly reduces time of device configuration."
    • "Can be added process of export/import environment configuration to simplify any migration processes."

What is our primary use case?

Implementing security politics on all mobile devices, and quick solve inventory tasks.

Secondary case is significant reduce of first device initial configuration costs.

How has it helped my organization?

Every new device was configured manually, it used to require about 20 minutes of engineer attention, now it's about three minutes.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

Initial deployment and configuration.

Three to five years.

Quite good, but could be a little bit quicker.

Yes, switched because of wider functionality, and transparent in use configuration.

Quite complex; the process was more like a cloning environment with eight dependent virtual machines.

Drive a hard bargain.

If so, which ones? Yes, Kaspersky and MobileIron solutions.

What other advice do I have?

Even if you're thinking about the on-premise installation, try the cloud solution first.

it_user348027 - PeerSpot reviewer
    Helpdesk Operator at a engineering company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Built-in inventory manager has made it easier to track devices and to measure data usage, but it could use more flexibility on user management, e.g. deleting users and editing corporate identifier.

What is most valuable?

• Interfaces are easy to navigate
    • Great online chat support
    • Accurate location tracking
    • Deployment of apps
    • Unlock passcode
    • Restricting use of certain apps

How has it helped my organization?

Built-in inventory manager has made it easier to track devices and to measure data usage. This has been helpful to us in choosing the right data plan.

What needs improvement?

Maybe more flexibility on user management, e.g. deleting users and editing corporate identifier.

I've used it for eight months.

No issues that I am aware of.

I've had no stability issues.

No issues scaling it.

So far I have only used the online chat support. I am highly satisfied with their service and availability.

I wasn't involved in the setup.

I believe it was implemented by our IT team.

What other advice do I have?

I thinks this is a great tool for any field service support team. It's easy to deploy on devices and support to end users.

App deployment:

IT Specialist at a comms service provider with 51-200 employees
    It gives us the ability to selectively wipe corporate data from employee mobile BYOD, with no impact to their personal data.

What is most valuable?

The ability to selectively wipe corporate data from employee mobile BYOD, with no impact to their personal data.

Being able to manage the corporate data in a secure application container with the Secure Email product.

How has it helped my organization?

Allowed our organization to securely implement BYOD, increasing the employee satisfaction and productivity.

What needs improvement?

I would like advanced notifications of subscription renewals. Subscriptions automatically renew, and if you've downsized your user base, and you've overlooked the subscription, then you have to go through the exhaustive task of adjusting the contract. I don't think it's too much to ask for. I don't know of any other vendors that we currently use, who do not send out renewal notices

Improve user based licensing, so a customer can purchase named licenses for multiple devices. They do have the option, but I think it's 2.5 x the price of a device license, and users are limited to 3 devices. This isn't comparable to cpomp

We've had a few instances where the Maas360 updates caused issues on phones, but they were far and few between. I think the same could probably be said for other solutions.

Good

Good

We didn't have any significant technical issues with the setup.

In-house

See 'areas of improvement' section.

No. At the time Maas was the only one that was able to selectively wipe the corporate data, and provided a cloud solution.

What other advice do I have?

As mentioned previously be diligent about renewals, and adjusting the licenses if required.

The solution has the ability to both require enrollment (control), and/or allow users to set up their exchange settings to connect to the corporate email without control (just monitoring device access to Exchange). If you want to ensure that users register their devices, then turn on the setting to block devices unless they are registered. We overlooked this setting and as a result, users were adding their 2nd or 3rd mobile device to out Exchange without controlling the device. If you don't implement the block from the start, it can get pretty messy. It will also result in an additional license usage, which you will get billed for over the subscription period.

it_user347601 - PeerSpot reviewer
    Network Engineer at a legal firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    BYOD users are required to register before we allow connection, but while our setup was pretty vanilla, we had a few minor issues with the deployment.

Valuable Features:

For our environment, we needed a way to separate corporate and personal data on iOS and Android devices as part of our bring-your-own-device policy.

Improvements to My Organization:

Users are required to enroll their device with MaaS360 before we allow their ActiveSync device to connect, which is good for the IT department.

It also allows us to push out an icon for our intranet portal via the Enterprise Gateway which users have found helpful.

Deployment Issues:

We really only had minor issues with the deployment, our setup was pretty vanilla. The integration of Contacts into the Secure Mail app was the most troublesome but that has since been resolved in a later release.

Fiberlink’s customer support is great, very responsive to inquiries and very helpful.

Initial Setup:

It’s a cloud-based solution and the setup was really easy, just plug in your policy requirements, allow LDAP through the firewall and that’s pretty much all we needed.

Implementation Team:

Implementation was through a vendor team with guidance from in-house engineers.

Other Solutions Considered:

Originally, we had deployed MobileIron and had a proof of concept configured but at the end of the day we went with MaaS360 because it had a friendlier UI. I liked MobileIron’s Sentry capability which blocked non-enrolled devices from even getting inside the network but using MaaS and ActiveSync policies we are at least able to stop them from getting mail configured.

Other Advice:

Overall the platform works as advertised and was set up with a minimum degree of difficulty.

it_user347238 - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior Systems Analyst at a consultancy with 501-1,000 employees
    It's given us complete control of devices allowed to receive company data, but I'd like to see one-click app distribution to a single device or user.

Valuable Features:

• Passcode enforcement on devices containing corporate email or data
    • The notification of new devices accessing corporate email and VPN connectivity
    • Deploying needed applications to device groups

Improvements to My Organization:

The product has given us complete control of devices allowed to receive company data. It is important that only salaried employees receive corporate email on mobile devices. Checking and responding to corporate email outside of normal scheduled shifts by hourly employees, can and should be time paid.

Room for Improvement:

I would like to see one-click app distribution to a single device or user. Perhaps I need further instruction in this area if it is supposed to function in this way currently. I would also like the ability to add a nagging message to any user that falls out of compliance.

Use of Solution:

I've used it for three years.

Stability Issues:

It does seem that the more devices we added, the slower the management console operates.

Scalability Issues:

The product has been completely scalable and stable throughout our experience.

Excellent and responsive customer service anytime I have had an issue or question.

Initial Setup:

The initial setup and deployment of the product was straightforward. There were some issues to work through initially.

I would recommend having a network and security person involved, as there were several considerations involving the firewall and Exchange server that I was not knowledgeable about.

Implementation Team:

We had a Fiberlink team work remotely through teleconference. The Fiberlink team as well as our team here at MACL scheduled a series of calls, where Fiberlink was able to connect remotely to our server and aid in the initial setup.

We received instructions on the tasks that we needed to complete, such as: acquiring the Apple security certificate, the Exchange server export, etc. Again, my advice would be to involve a representative from your network and exchange areas to aid in proper access of the product.

ROI:

I’m not sure we realize a true ROI in the way we use the product. It is more of a security need in the medical industry. It is a very effective product at a reasonable monthly cost per device.

Other Solutions Considered:

We briefly evaluated other vendors prior to choosing Maas360. We were impressed with the scalability, affordability, and the product as a whole. We have never regretted our decision in choosing Maas360 as our MDM product.

Other Advice:

We are very pleased with the Maas360 product and plan to continue use as our company grows.

it_user341988 - PeerSpot reviewer
    President at a comms service provider with 51-200 employees
    We've been able to meet federal compliance standards with this solution, but you should spend time planning and understanding classes of service for your company.

What is most valuable?

• Lock and erase
    • Notifications

How has it helped my organization?

We've been able to meet federal compliance standards with this solution.

I've been using it for eight months.

It's excellent.

It's excellent.

We chose this product because of its reputation.

We had a trial period with no obligation, and it demonstrated that it met our needs.

Also, ease of setup and speed of setup were factors in our decision.

The solution was up and running within an hour.

This was not an ROI initiative, but one to ensure compliance with the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act.

We evaluated two other solutions that did not offer the ease of setup or the same trial period with no obligation, and they cost more.

What other advice do I have?

Spend time planning and understanding classes of service for your company, what levels of restrictions and capabilities.

it_user159819 - PeerSpot reviewer
    Network Administrator at a healthcare company with 501-1,000 employees
    Fiberlink's Maas360 used to be one of the top MDM solutions, but now there are better rated options.

What is most valuable?

Ability to lock or wipe the device if it becomes lost or stolen. Control what users can and cannot do on their corporate phone through policies, and the ability to inventory the wireless devices in the field.

How has it helped my organization?

Before Maas360 we had no way of knowing of how many devices were in the field due to IT not being a part of the purchasing process. We are now able to inventory devices and require end users to contact us in order to get their phones setup. Also, we do not allow BYOD at our company because of HIPAA policies, since Maas360 links with our Exchange server we get a notification if personal devices show up on our network and can take appropriate actions.

What needs improvement?

Android device enrollment is a difficult process compared to how easy Apple IOS enrollment is. Also, there is a glaring security flaw were users can wipe their phones and they still show compliant in Maas360.

Another issue is when new Android phones come out, Maas360 is not able to implement the new features that have been introduced on the phone. For example when fingerprint login was available for Galaxy S5, Maas360 was not even ready to offer that feature as part of the policy you implement for your phone. Apple on the other hand usually has their features ready for Maas360 within the first few weeks of release.

Almost 3 years.

Besides your standard end user issues....then no.

There have been complaints of the Maas360 app that is required on the devices to drain the phone battery faster than normal. Also, I have had an issue with the Maas360 app failing and causing my phone to become unusable.

No scalability issues.

Good.

I've noticed a little bit of a decline of responsiveness since IBM has taken them over.

In-house.

I believe we were looking at Good Technologies as well.

it_user163677 - PeerSpot reviewer
    Help Desk Support Account Admin. at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
    Capability to remotely assist in device & passcode unlocks makes support easier. Certificate install could be smoother.

What is most valuable?

The ability to see details about a users device, whether they are inactive because they don't use it, whether its in compliance, rooted/jailbroken, what version of iOS or policy they are currently on, and more. Also the capability to remotely assist in device unlocks and passcode unlocks makes support easier.

How has it helped my organization?

It allows employees who require phones a way to receive support quickly rather than having to go through the Help Desk or other areas to receive assistance. If the device is stolen, it can be remotely wiped from the site, same goes for unlocks, changing policies, and re-enrollment of the device if it is accidentally wiped.

What needs improvement?

Possibly a notification if a device is wiped and no longer has the security policy on the phone. The product can also install the certificates on the phone in a 'smoother' way. It currently sometimes fails and we have to re-enroll the device multiple times.

About 6 months.

Occasionally when it is installing the certificates and policies, it may not always go through and we have to re-enroll the device to try again.

MaaS has been pretty reliable and we have had minimal issues. Only issue I may have is that it can sometimes take upwards of 5-10 minutes for a passcode unlock to go through onto the device (sometimes, not always).

None.

No previous solution.

Manager worked in-house, communicating with tech support on their end and was able to get it implemented and also tested very quickly.

Can't comment much here, but I'm sure with the faster support, managers, directors, and executives receive now, it has increased productivity.

This product was chosen by management, I wasn't aware of other options.

What other advice do I have?

Give it a try and test it in your environment. We've had practically no issues with MaaS360 that haven't started from our end first. It is very easy to create new security policies and many ways to restrict devices.

Download our free IBM MaaS360 Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: November 2022