IBM Business Automation Workflow OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

IBM Business Automation Workflow is the #11 ranked solution in BPM Software. PeerSpot users give IBM Business Automation Workflow an average rating of 8.2 out of 10. IBM Business Automation Workflow is most commonly compared to IBM BPM: IBM Business Automation Workflow vs IBM BPM. IBM Business Automation Workflow is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 73% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a financial services firm, accounting for 23% of all views.

Download the Business Process Management (BPM) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is IBM Business Automation Workflow?

IBM Business Automation Workflow combines business process management and case management capabilities in one workflow solution. It integrates the capabilities of business process and case management into a single workflow offering. It unites information, process, and users to provide a 360-degree view of work to drive more successful optimized business outcomes. IBM Business Automation Workflow on Cloud provides the same capabilities that are offered in the IBM Business Automation Workflow offering, all within a ready-to-use, cloud-based environment that is hosted in IBM Cloud data centers and managed by IBM.

IBM Business Automation Workflow was previously known as Business Automation Workflow.

IBM Business Automation Workflow Customers

Key Bank, Barclays, Control€xpert, MIR Insurance Brokers, Conqord Oil

IBM Business Automation Workflow Video

Archived IBM Business Automation Workflow Reviews (more than two years old)

Suresh Thota - PeerSpot reviewer
Enterprise Architect/Enterprise Digital Solution Architecture at Mashreq
Offers the ability to create a case file identification
  • "It provides a solution for integration orchestration. This solution is for any organization in the banking, telecommunications, healthcare, manufacturing, and all domains and industries."
  • "The initial setup is actually a really complicated process."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is completely banking driven. We select the account to open, determine the complimenting and storage core, cooperate on their calls, do analysis for the core customer, uphold compliance policy and anti money laundering payments, and all the functions we define in the process.

Currently, we are using it on-premises with a roadmap for into the cloud. We call that the private cloud, because this is a bank space so we are not going to the public cloud due to regulations and compliance policy.

What is most valuable?

The features that we have found most notable are similar to what we have with IBM BPM. Because we have done the automation so that when a document comes from the customer as a soft copy, there is an optical character reader ensuring that the data will be integrated with the BPM. We thought of the human interaction, checking everything, and you can create a case file identification like in BPM.

What needs improvement?

From the optimization perspective, this is better than what we have currently with BPM where we are also doing automation. We can move where the cash mechanism and the external cash mechanism are, where we put the cluster to a policy, where the service will be available. Even when service fails, it will be taken within a cluster of seconds, as things are on the optimization solution provided by the BAW.

Other improvements include a couple of reusable artifacts. These were not there with BPM and now BAW provides that.

We've got a list of features that feed from IBM. We get them on a weekly basis in the subscriptions. These are the benefits we are getting from IBM - small snapshots level, how you are going to deploy automation, integrated data set ups. That is a pipeline where you can do automation, the process for operational specifications, where it goes to the end-to-end automation process level.

A lot depends upon the customer. Let's say a customer wants to get a good system where you can crop in and automate the process, that feature was not available in IBM. So we spoke to them and they released the setup for tax availability for BAW. We are working on features based on our requirement specifications.

IBM Business Automation Workflow is a new solution that we implemented four months ago.

Business Process Management (BPM)
November 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about IBM, Apache, Camunda and others in Business Process Management (BPM). Updated: November 2022.
655,774 professionals have used our research since 2012.

This is a new product, so we are getting a couple of bugs on the product level. We have spoken to IBM and it's up to the product vendor to provide product complications, like deployment snapshots and where we have automation in the process. We keep talking to the IBM guys to write a PMR and get it refurnished.

We use the auto-scaling mechanism. So maybe the volume is too high for utilization and we use the load balancing, distributing the load balancing to multi-use cloud packages. We use that for the availability.

The solution is being used country-wide. That means five to eight million people use it on a daily basis. Globally, we implemented it for the National Bank because it exists across all the countries and all the 128 branches in the different countries.

In terms of scalability, we have implemented auto-scaling. There are on-premises flows, and on-prem/cloud users, and settings on the IBM cloud.

Customer service is good. It's the leader from a customer service perspective.

Before using BAW, I was using BPM for development, designing architecture, and providing a solution for the automation workflow process. I worked on automation without manual interactions.

The initial setup is actually a really complicated process. We did the proper enterprise access to the server. Then we have the front desk, principal, policies, standard regulations, practice assessments, and the architecture, then with the business IT, the whole concept is complex.

We have two types of set ups, micro-services and services in the interaction section. For the services in the interaction section we use the IBM Integration but for the micro-services we use IBM Connect.

We don't have other costs, except for license and support. If you buy the software you can get one year support free of cost. When it is upgrading the PMR and product level issues, there are technical discussions with the vendors. So those things are free of cost provided by the vendors.

We evaluated a couple of vendors like Pega, and Oracle BPM. We evaluated four vendors. We choose IBM at end of the day for their support team, costs, and availability. These factors are a concern for a vendor from a traceability metric perspective. We chose IBM since it is available for implementation and we already have an agreement with them as partners.

What other advice do I have?

IBM Business Automation Workflow is a good tool provided you can use it cross-platform where there are a lot of features. Another good thing, which other products, like Pega and Oracle don't have, is that it is a very optimizing solution providing the IBM BPM process orchestration.

On a scale of one to ten, I would give IBM Business Automation Workflow a nine.

Since I have been working with multiple vendors on multiple projects in the billion dollar  project range, I see that it works for end-to-end functionality.

It provides a solution for integration orchestration. This solution is for any organization in the banking, telecommunications, healthcare, manufacturing, and all domains and industries.

Assistant Vice President at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Helpful dashboard, good reporting, and good technical support
  • "The dashboards are helpful because you can display reports directly on your screen."
  • "Sometimes, we feel like we are not getting the full features of the content management capabilities."

What is our primary use case?

We are working in the banking industry. The bank has a data lake and they make use of the dashboards and reporting to access and work with their data.

What is most valuable?

The ability to connect between BAW processes and robotic processes is very useful.

The UA features in the framework are very good. It promotes reusability, which is an advantage for us.

What needs improvement?

We are having a problem because we want to migrate to the cloud, but it necessitates using the Red Hat OpenShift platform.

Sometimes, we feel like we are not getting the full features of the content management capabilities. We find that some of the small players like NewGen and Documentum are doing a better job at this.

It is difficult to integrate with FileNet. It is already bundled and they are now using automatic integration, but it is lacking in usability.

We want something that is more platform-independent. For example, using the scanner application, we have to use a thick client. Even though we have a content analyzer, in some cases, we first scan with a thick client and then replace it with a thin client.

I have been working with IBM BPM systems for the past 20 years.

This is a scalable product.

The technical support is very good. We're getting on-time responses to all of our queries. We are working with the Middle East support team.

I have worked with different BPM products over the past 20 years and I find that IBM BAW has become a very mature one. It works very well compared to competing solutions.

What other advice do I have?

Business Process Management (BPM)
November 2022
655,774 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Consultant at a engineering company with 11-50 employees
Has good business process modelling but the software is complicated

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is for defining business processes.

What is most valuable?

The business process modeling is the most valuable feature.

What needs improvement?

In terms of improvement, it could be less complex. It's quite a complicated software.

I have been using IBM Work Automation Workflow for a year.

It is stable.

It is scalable but it depends on the amount of infrastructure you use.

Their technical support is good. You get what you pay for you.

We haven't really used other solutions. We had something in-house before this.

It is not easy to deploy. You need a specialist's knowledge first which adds half a day to the deployment.

It's IBM, it's always expensive.

What other advice do I have?

Decide what you are looking to do and make sure that this solution does that before you go for it.

I would rate it a six out of ten. To make it a higher score, it should be less complex.

George Thomas - PeerSpot reviewer
Lead Architect at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Good automation and scalability, but the technical support is in need of improvement
  • "The most valuable feature is automation, which is quite strong and we are quite happy with it."
  • "The setup and installation process could be made easier."

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The setup and installation process could be made easier.

Technical support is in need of improvement.

We have been using IBM Business Automation Workflow for almost two years.

This solution is really stable.

Scalability is good. We can effortlessly expand and we are quite happy with that.

In my company, it is used in multiple departments. There are between 50 and 60 people using it at this point in time. In addition, we have six or seven people that make up the development team. It's quite good.

Going forward, we are expecting more requirements for automation and we will increase usage with demand.

We have found it tough to get the proper support from IBM. Sometimes there is a lot of duplication of work because we send out something, and then they continually ask for additional details. Eventually, we give up. Then, the next time we have a problem, we have to explain everything from scratch. It takes a lot of time.

Prior to this solution, we were using UiPath and some of our processes are still being handled by that system. In time, we may collapse all of them into this product.

The setup is a little bit complex. It is not a lightweight solution.

We have four or five people who take care of the maintenance, in-house.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is implementing this product is to be sure to fully understand the processes that you want to automate. This has to be done in advance of starting. Also, according to their plan, the license model should be worked out properly.

I would rate this solution a six out of ten.

Vice President at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
Easy to configure and customize with a straightforward setup
  • "The solution's most valuable aspect is the fact it is highly configurable. We can do configurations very easily."
  • "The UI of the solution is not good. They should work to update the solution and make it better and fresher."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for business process management.

What is most valuable?

The solution's most valuable aspect is the fact it is highly configurable. We can do configurations very easily.

You can do customizations very easily and because of this, it is highly flexible.

The setup is very easy.

What needs improvement?

They should consider adding robotics.

There should be a move to integrate the solution with RPA.

I've been using the solution for five years.

The level of stability varied at first. Initially, we had issues in terms of setup and things like that. Now, as time has passed, I believe it has improved.

We might have had issues because of a lack of knowledge on our part.

From the second year on, we haven't faced any issues with stability. We now consider it to be quite stable.

The level of scalability a company can achieve depends on what version they have.

Depending on the version, users can do horizontal or vertical scaling.

We haven't had any problems with scaling so far in our organization.

We have about 3,000+ users on the solution currently.

When we have any issues, we raise a ticket with support. However, I don't recollect raising a new ticket with IBM in the past 24 months now at least. We don't have too much contact with them.

We found the initial setup to be very straightforward.

The first deployment took about three to four weeks.

We handled the implementation ourselves, in house.

It's very difficult to quantify a return on investment in the entire class form. What we do is we take a process and then we look at implementing the process for the entire platform.

There's just a standard licensing fee. There aren't additional hidden costs to worry about. For example, a company wouldn't need to pay extra for access to technical support.

What other advice do I have?

The solution is like a chart on the overall operations of our organization. We use it every day. It's a part of our processes. It's used every minute.

A company that is considering implementing it must make sure they have people on staff that have the right skill sets from day one to manage the solution. I would suggest if there isn't someone well versed in IBM, that someone gets training before the implementation process.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

Software Engineer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
  • "It gives us the ability to create toolkits and use them across many different applications. It allows us to write things one time, instead of having to write a diary for every single different application. We can write at once and reuse it."
  • "The workflow of BAW's automation is handled inside of BPM, so we can see what state it is at and how things are processing through."
  • "The development UI is sometimes a little slow."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is to underwrite workflow.

We are using the IBM Automation Platform for Digital Business to do paperless movement of underwriting files. So far, it has been good. We haven't done as many things as they are talking about with AI at the IBM conference, and I'm excited to try some of those things out.

We are using ODM, BPM, ECM, and BAW from the IBM portfolio.

How has it helped my organization?

We use automation to process documents, bringing the email directly into the process workflow for underwriting. We plan to expand our use of automation in our organization. We want to be able to read the forms for ACORD documents, or different other type of underwriting intake, automatically and not need to have any human processing interaction.

It helps in a lot of ways. We have moved it from just underwriting workflows to expanding it to document process automation. We have also used it as a service. The process engine itself is a service instead of just a UI, so there are a couple of other groups in our company who have been using it to facilitate their workflow process instead of just writing their own process solution or buying another one.

The solution has helped with decision-making in our organization. E.g., the processing department and some of our underwriting divisions are able to quickly create views, then their processors can very quickly decide what type of work we will do today. This can be controlled by management instead of by email.

What is most valuable?

It gives us the ability to create toolkits and use them across many different applications. It allows us to write things one time, instead of having to write a diary for every single different application. We can write at once and reuse it.

What needs improvement?

I am not that excited about the move to using BPM on the web. I like the thick client, because it seems a bit faster. However, I haven't put a timer to it.

Previously, we wrote our own case management solutions, because they weren't there yet. Therefore, I am excited to see what we can do with the new case management tools inside of BAW. However, we haven't used them yet.

We would like to use machine learning to drive rules in ODM. The complexity of the rules that we can write for it is not quite what we want yet.

Technically, it does everything I want it to do. However, the development UI is sometimes a little slow.

The speed of response could use improvement.

Our first PoC was four years ago.

The stability is fine. I have not seen any examples of an unstable BAW.

The scalability is wonderful. We have had no trouble with that at all.

We don't have any big issues with technical support. It is never fast enough nor quick enough. You never get to the smart guys fast enough, but that is just normal. I guess I'm satisfied with it.

Our previous solution, AquaLogic BPM, got to end of life and was bought by Oracle. Then, they changed a bunch of things in it, and we didn't like it

The straightforwardness of the initial setup was the one of the reasons that we ended up purchasing IBM BPM.

On our first proof of concept, we did use a consultant.

It has increased productivity on the development side. We have been able to move applications from thought to production quicker.

The solution saves time in development, as well as with time to deploy.

It has been able to reduce operating costs.

We looked at Oracle, Appian, and Pega.

The reason that we went with IBM was because they offered more of a developer-centric model instead of a configuration-centric model.

What other advice do I have?

Don't choose a product until you've actually tried to build a simple workflow by yourself.

Our business users have fairly good usability. The Salient team wrote the SparkUI components, that we use, which allow us to really create a better user experience.

We found that a lot of our processes were very similar, then we were able to generalize them in a way that we didn't expect.

The integration process is fair and normal.

I did the tech track for the first session, then the business level track for the second. The thing that I learned in the tech track was they talked about these things called emitters: this idea of data admission. So, I'm excited to try to use the dashboards that they were talking about.

Senior Manager at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
It saves time by automating manual tasks
  • "It has had a positive effect on decision-making in my organization. It helps us with our dispute process."
  • "Every client is moving to the cloud. We are still a little behind with IBM, but we are catching up from my point of view."

What is our primary use case?

We have multiple clients. We provide them multiple solutions. So, based on the customer needs, we propose different solutions to them. These solutions include FileNet, Datacap, etc.

We have contact centers, which we have also built for our client resolution. The contact centers interact with customers and understand their queries. We also create a case, so case management is also coming into the picture. There are different steps within the case activities where we try to resolve and close the case.

Right now, our clients are using ODM for rule engines, BPM processors, and the case management part.

How has it helped my organization?

It helps with compliance and governance issues.

What is most valuable?

Most valuable is how it improves the customer experience. Our company adds the value for the overall implementation, and clients always ask us, "Based on our investment, what value we will receive?" Automation will help them to improve their efficiency for any case resolution and improve the customer experience.

The usability is nice.

What needs improvement?

In the market, Appian is quoting, "Low quote or no quote." IBM is almost to the point of no quote, but it is not there yet.

More education and training of users is required.

It is stable.

The scalability has been good so far. We don't have any problems with it.

With technical support, when we create a ticket, we receive a response on time.

There are old versions, which are not being supported in future, so we have to upgrade.

We have our own team for the deployment.

The solution increases productivity.

The solution has decreased operating costs. We see this at our customers' sites after implementation.

It has saved our customers time by automating manual tasks.

Nowadays, clients are looking at pricing as one of the major factors. For IBM products, they always think it is expensive for them. We are still educating our clients on the IBM FlexPoints licensing.

From an integration and security perspective, I think IBM is far better compared to others.

What other advice do I have?

The hybrid solution is something very good. We promote it to the client to try it out. It is great holistic, end-to-end tool, which is why I recommend it.

For the IBM portfolio, we have DBA, ODM, and BPM. They are very good for scalability and performance. They are also pretty stable right now.

We have third-party applications too. For integration, we are exposing our APIs, then they are consuming them. So, most of them are REST APIs.

Within the VPN, we have connectors that we are using.

We do have plans to expand our use of automation.

I will be attending the technical tracks. In the technical track, I would like to explore all the components specific to AI, which is very hot in the market with our clients. They want to how AI can help them and how automation plays a role.

Principal Consultant at a tech services company
Usability for application developers is strong but needs improvement at the data-visualization level
  • "It has integrated UI and deployment models, and it has a deep set of consultant and service provider ecosystem features."
  • "I would like to see more streamlined install and provisioning; preferably containerized IBM BPM would be helpful."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for automating workflows for medium to large-scale processes.

How has it helped my organization?

It streamlines who is doing what, at what time. It has increased productivity. Employees spend less time worrying about whether or not they need to work on something or checking the status of an ongoing process. Generally, it has saved time and improved business processes.

What is most valuable?

The usability of the solution, from an application developer's perspective, is strong. From an infrastructure and deployment management perspective it's okay. For business users, the usability is strong at the task- and work-completion levels.

What needs improvement?

The usability could use improvement at the data-visualization level. Also, there is room for improvement around the effort it takes to stand up and develop the solutions that are more complex, although I think that is getting addressed.

I would like to see more streamlined install and provisioning; preferably containerized IBM BPM would be helpful.

The stability is average. Once it's up and running and stable, it remains stable. But there's a little bit of extra effort needed to deploy and manage and configure both the on-premises and cloud solutions.

The scalability is better than it used to be.

The solution's technical support could use improvement. The IBM BPM platform, at least from a cloud perspective, still requires using IBM support, which is not very responsive. On premises, the product under the covers is a little bit more complex than some competitors.

There was no preexisting solution.

The initial setup was complex. The product isn't containerized, and the complexity of provisioning the proper footprint for what you need is difficult to judge ahead of time, until you get into the weeds of setting it up.

We are using the solution for automation projects and we have seen neutral to slightly positive ROI.

What other advice do I have?

The biggest lesson I've learned using this solution is to start small and show success with a smaller-scale process application.

Start on the cloud, start small, and focus on your customer experience before the technical requirements.

We have integrated the solution with other solutions. It was a positive process for compatible and built-in integrations, and limited for more broad, generally-available integrations.

I would rate this solution at six out of ten because it needs to evolve and transform more quickly than it actually is, as compared to its competitors. And there is still a relatively high total cost of ownership to actually implement, support, and stand up solutions.

Solution Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Usability is pretty impressive - we can bring products quickly to market
  • "One of the most valuable features is the way that they are adapting to the market. Initially, it was doing only workflow. Now it has started bringing all the other components like rules within the workflow and then the integration with RPA."
  • "From what I understand, in the next release they're actually going to combine all of this together as one integrated solution... If we could have one unified way to build a solution, that would really help."

What is our primary use case?

As a business partner, we generally use this product to help our customers with their digital transformations. Most of the time we use IBM BPM or DPA to provide a solution and bring continuous process improvements to our customers.

The majority of them are used by business users. It depends on what type of solutions we are building. Some are back-office applications. Some are real, end-user applications. It depends on each use case.

Our clients are using it to automate some features. With Automation Anywhere being a partner, they're trying to automate the process overall. Some customers use us for overall digitalization, automating their processes. From there, they are trying to automate using the RPA features as well.

How has it helped my organization?

After being acquired from Lombardi by IBM, BPA was only workflow-related. Over a period of time it evolved. It has a lot of capabilities that were added to the product, like the rules, business decision-making and, now, with a more enhanced toolkit to build applications very rapidly.

The solution has absolutely reduced operating costs. It is customer-specific. We may not know the exact ROI, but it has definitely improved. Some of our customers see more than an 80 percent reduction, depending on where it's used.

The solution has helped with compliance and governance issues. Most of the time when we build a solution using this product, it involves some approvals. Depending upon the scenario, it has to go for compliance approval. And that can be incorporated within the solution, what we build using this application.

What is most valuable?

One of the most valuable features is the way that they are adapting to the market. Initially, it was doing only workflow. Now it has started bringing all the other components like rules within the workflow and then the integration with RPA.

Also, the usability is pretty impressive. We can bring this quickly to market. We can start with a quick proof of concept and then we can take that to the next level. We can also use it to build auxiliary solutions for future use.

What needs improvement?

From what I understand, in the next release they're actually going to combine all of this together as one integrated solution. Obviously, once they started acquiring more and more products, the flavors were going to be there. Sometimes, you need an integrated solution. Customers don't want to have to say, "Oh, I'm acquiring this product, now I have to go build up that product. I have to go and build something else in another product and integrate." If we could have one unified way to build a solution, that would really help.

It's very scalable. IBM has stacks of software to quickly bring into play.

What other advice do I have?

Start taking advantage of all the features that have been given as part of this product. Sometimes - especially the DBAs - they will execute it as an IT project. More than that, they should start using it from a holistic perspective. How can this bring value to the whole organization?

It's like a double-edged knife: If you don't know how to use it, it might come back to haunt you and hurt you. But the way they have implemented it, evolved it, it's actually helping us to improve and provide plug-and-play. We find that if it is not going to go well, if we need to create more APIs to overwrite some solutions, then we can actually do plug-and-play as well.

I would rate Business Automation Workflow at eight out of ten. Compared to other products, this one has actually evolved a lot, and they have brought a lot of value with it, especially adapting to the rapid expansion of industry.

Sales Engineer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Reseller
The tool is great for rolling processes out quickly without being too locked into them
  • "No matter what somebody's technical experience level is, the tool can start adding value immediately. Even if that is just an analyst who doesn't have any technical background, they can use some of these no quote accelerators to get things from ideation to deployment in a matter of minutes."
  • "It helps develop applications very quickly. Once clients get used to it and familiar with the methodology, then they don't feel so locked in. It is able to add this element of agility to our clients' software development lifecycle. That is my favorite thing about it: You're not so locked in as you used to be when developing applications."
  • "I would definitely like to see a unified interface between the BPM side of the house and the case side of the house. Something that just seems a bit more cohesive, because right now there is sort of a disconnect between the BPM and the case side of the house. That makes it a bit of a hard sell sometimes. That is definitely first and foremost on my wish list."

What is our primary use case?

We are a consultancy, so we resell the tool. We also do projects with Business Automation Workflow. I am in sales, but this is what we do as a company.

We use it for billing, logging our hours, and project management, which is our biggest use case and our core business. We have seen the tool help increase productivity in these areas.

How has it helped my organization?

We do use it in our organization. We call it, "Like drinking our own champagne." We use it for a lot of our internal processes and see a lot of operational efficiencies all across the board.

Everybody in my company is an expert in this tool. There is no lowest common denominator. There is nobody in the company who doesn't use this tool professionally, except for some nontechnical employees who use it for entering hours. It is very usable, but a lot of that comes down to the design of the application. The tool is only as good as how you use it.

We have used the solution to improve business process management in our organization. This is sort of the fundamental point of the it. On the case management side of the fence, but we haven't really used that component internally.

What is most valuable?

It helps develop applications very quickly. Once clients get used to it and familiar with the methodology, then they don't feel so locked in. It is able to add this element of agility to our clients' software development lifecycle. That is my favorite thing about it: You're not so locked in as you used to be when developing applications.

The tool is really great for rolling processes out quickly without being too locked into them, so you still have the ability to come back and make alterations and grow. Let your processes grow with your business and keep that competitive edge through your operational efficiencies.

Technical people can use the tool to build custom widgets. They can just start coding if that is their comfort zone. Though, I might not recommend it. Obviously, you should always use what is there first, then when you find the deficit start to think about code.

What needs improvement?

I would definitely like to see a unified interface between the BPM side of the house and the case side of the house. Something that just seems a bit more cohesive, because right now there is sort of a disconnect between the BPM and the case side of the house. That makes it a bit of a hard sell sometimes. That is definitely first and foremost on my wish list.

There were some issues with it historically. For example, people didn't like the UI, but the UI is great now.

It is very stable, as long as when you build it, you adhere to best practices and build things correctly. I can't say it enough, "A tool is only as good as how you use it." It is a good tool.

It is all about how you build it. The tool is only as good as how you use it.

The technical support is pretty good. I have definitely been frustrated at times, like opening PMRs, then getting later responses than I would like. However, I also realize that the support team only has so much bandwidth.

We are a consultancy on this tool.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward.

The implementation is very straightforward. It is very clear what each artifact type does and how they're supposed to work. It is very low code, and that low code element is continually getting better with every release. It has a lot of configuration options and is very intuitive, even to business users.

However, once you have to get in the weeds and start scripting, it is still straightforward if you're a coder. But, if you're not, then there is a bit of a learning curve there.

Customers see ROI.

When you're talking about ROI, we've seen infinite ROI considering that our licenses is as a partner. It's saved us from buying licenses, HR systems, and other things that we just built out ourselves. The solution has also saved us time.

It might take three or four difference licenses to get something like the functionality that we have with this tool, since what we have is custom to us.

What other advice do I have?

It is pretty usable. There is still a market for people like us, which means that it is not 100 percent usable. There are also some really good accelerators in the market to even increase the usability. In general, it is very usable. As long as you have a good understanding of the process, know what you are doing, and are not falling into pitfalls, then the tool is easy enough to use. It's pretty low code.

The solution helped us with compliance or governance issues to some extent, but it is not really something that we internally use it for. I've seen it in several use cases external to our consultancy where that is the case.

The integration process is great. Every integration is unique and has its whole gamut of complexities. In general, it has the tools there to make the integration simpler and a lot more straightforward. The tools exist: Web Service connectors, subconnectors, drag and drop REST calls and SQL calls. The components are there, but that doesn't mean it's just going to work. I've seen this happen several times, but I don't think that is any fault of the tool.

I have seen a lot of use cases where it does have an effect on decision-making.

We do automation projects with this tool for a living. However, internally, it sort of depends on if we have a use case that fits the tool. If we have some resources that are available to sort of build something like that, then I will use it.

The vision of the product is very good. They are on the right path. The emerging case in process is a no-brainer, Anybody who has been in this space for awhile realizes that processes aren't structured or unstructured, and there is a lot of fluidity. While the vision is there, I just don't think it's quite there yet. This goes back to that there is a pretty strong disconnect between the case functionality and process functionality.

Biggest lesson learned: How to visualize processes and visualize improvement areas/problem areas. I really like that the tool is visual. E.g., if you get a chart that is expressing some sort of information to you, and until you can interpret the chart, you can't really act on that information. The visual component of the product: seeing processes, flow lines, boxes as are activities, swim lanes, and all these BPM concepts, which are visually displayed throughout the application, helps you understand what is happening. It helps me bring myself up to speed.

I can go into an organization that has complex processes with no explanation. By just using this tool, I can pretty well understand what is going on. I might have some questions like, "Why did you do that?" I might not know how they got there, but I know what the organization does.

Graham Wallis - PeerSpot reviewer
General Manager at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Offers capture content management and a process suite, as well as rules in RPA
  • "IBM has spent a lot of time on the connections between the rules engine and its other product, the core BPM platform. They've really centralized the suite as one offering now."
  • "It is the only product that includes capture content management and a process suite, as well as rules in RPA."
  • "The main areas which need improvement are specifically around reporting and analytics."

What is our primary use case?

The use case is a wide range of things. We have implemented it from standard claims automation to getting your video from the studio to air, removing it from Netflix and things of that nature. Anytime there are business processes, business rules, and you need distinguishing workflows between users, that's where the DBA platform accelerates.

How has it helped my organization?

As a partner, we do a lot of finance and healthcare industry. We support the entire back office operations for a $111 billion brokerage. Anything from IRA contributions to distributions to money transfers to wires. Anything like that is all done by DBA.

What is most valuable?

IBM has spent a lot of time on the connections between the rules engine and its other product, the core BPM platform. They've really centralized the suite as one offering now. That's something that should have been done a while ago but is something that's a real big game-changer for them.

What needs improvement?

The main areas which need improvement are specifically around reporting and analytics. The analytics suite is limited in this regard. I know they're working on something, but it's still a ways away. I'm waiting to see what they come out with on that.

The product is extremely stable. Obviously, there is always performance tuning and things that happen over time. Usually, if there is any major issue, it's usually the database's fault, but the impact of it is that your product goes down. You have to monitor the database and that is the area which people often forget to do.

It's scalable. Right now we're running 10 million transactions a day.

I work closely with the support team. There are varying levels of quality of support between Level 1 and Level 2.

Once you've worked with support and know how to build a package of what they're looking for, it's very quick and easy. It's more about making sure that you have the package ready: All the logs and the other things which are important. If you don't have the package, you're going to spin your wheels for a bit.

Over the years, the setup has become straightforward. Back in the day, it was complex. With the move to containerization, it will become a lot more straightforward. You're just going to be spinning up containers.

What other advice do I have?

I rate it at nine out of ten. There's always room for improvement. I've used the product for many years now so I appreciate the power of the tool.

Download our free Business Process Management (BPM) Report and find out what your peers are saying about IBM, Apache, Camunda, and more!
Updated: November 2022