We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why

Dell EMC XtremIO OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Dell EMC XtremIO is #21 ranked solution in best All-Flash Storage Arrays. PeerSpot users give Dell EMC XtremIO an average rating of 8 out of 10. Dell EMC XtremIO is most commonly compared to Dell EMC PowerStore: Dell EMC XtremIO vs Dell EMC PowerStore. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 36% of all views.
What is Dell EMC XtremIO?
Bring all-flash, scale-out storage to your enterprise applications with EMC XtremIO. Purpose-built for flash, XtremIO storage arrays are amazingly fast. Delivering high IOPS at less than 1 millisecond latency is just the start. EMC XtremIO helps you harness the power of flash storage by building in innovations like content-based data placement and dual-stage metadata.

Dell EMC XtremIO was previously known as Dell EMC XtremIO Flash, Dell EMC XtremIO X2, XtremIO, XtremIO X2.

Download the All-Flash Storage Arrays Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2022

Dell EMC XtremIO Customers
Raiffeisen Bank Bulgaria, Wentworth-Douglas Hospital
Dell EMC XtremIO Video

Dell EMC XtremIO Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Dell EMC XtremIO pricing:
  • "The price of the solution should be reduced. The price matches the price of a VMAX service but it does not have the capability of a VMAX service. However, the prices of Dell EMC XtremIO can be reduceable."
  • "XtremIO is an all-flash array, which means it's a costly solution. When compared with general mid-range storage solutions, this is more expensive. As far as I know, there are no additional costs besides the license."
  • "Licensing is approximately $200,000 per year."
  • "This solution is a little bit pricey."
  • "Too high priced for the Brazil market."
  • Dell EMC XtremIO Reviews

RahulRukhaiyar
    Technical Consultant at Fidelity International
    Useful data protection group, effective compression, and stable
    • "The most valuable feature of Dell EMC XtremIO is the data protection (DP) group, it is one of the most advanced features in these types of arrays. The dedupe and compression that this array provides both do a superb job."
    • "In the next release, the solution could have better integration and if we can host assets on the cloud, such as NetApp has the NetApp volumes, which we can host on the cloud directly called NetApp CVO (cloud volume ONTAP). Dell EMC should come up with something purely on the cloud rather than manage services."

What is our primary use case?

We use Dell EMC XtremIO for block data and VDA profiles.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of Dell EMC XtremIO is the data protection (DP) group, it is one of the most advanced features in these types of arrays. The dedupe and compression that this array provides both do a superb job.

What needs improvement?

The replication of Dell EMC XtremIO could improve. In the newer versions they have improved, however, the replication can be improved further where we can include concurrent or cascaded methodologies.

I have been using Dell EMC XtremIO for approximately seven years.

The solution is stable and has good performance, it guarantees millions of files.

Dell EMC XtremIO is scalable and it is easy to do. However, we cannot have more than four bricks.

We have approximately 10 people in the storage team who use the solution and 5,000 use the services in my organization.

The solution is used on a daily basis. The media profiles are launched for each user and it communicates to the Dell EMC XtremIO daily.

We contact technical support whenever there's a hardware failure. If there is a software glitch, such as the one we had where the connectivity status used to flicker. It had to show eight parts, but it flickered and showed five, six, seven, and eight, all the parts. The flickering in the database, which resides within the XtremIO management server actively tweaked a bit and we had a support engineering case open for it with the Dell support. However, it didn't materialize, this is something that should be fixed in the next update.

Overall I would rate the support Dell EMC XtremIO a nine out of ten. We don't reach out to them. Nine only because the hardware could be more durable. All the SSD's could use a single-level cell rather than a multi-cell.

I previously used SolidFire and NetApp. There is a third solution I have used called Violin Memory which is not used much, but it's a very good contender.

The advantages of Dell EMC XtremIO are the market share Dell has and dependability.

All the other solutions are going more towards iSCSI connectivity while Dell is moving away from iSCSI and towards XtremIO's that offer both iSCSI and FC. There is not much development for iSCSI, this is a limiting factor.

The installation was straightforward. If you have everything in place in the network, it would only take two days maximum.

The implementation can be done by the customer, it is done by racking and stacking them.

The solution has a redundant component, there are only disc replacements or battery backups replacement required.

The price of the solution should be reduced. The price matches the price of a VMAX service but it does not have the capability of a VMAX service. However, the prices of Dell EMC XtremIO can be reduceable.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others, it will make their life easier.

I rate Dell EMC XtremIO an eight out of ten.

Professional 2: Application Developer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    Simple to use, but is missing many key features
    • "A valuable feature of XtremIO is that, in terms of administration, it's simple and manageable."
    • "If you are looking at flash storage solutions, XtremIO doesn't offer any unique features. Most of my customers are migrating their workload from XtremIO to other formats because of this."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case for XtremIO is for managing business applications, either critical or non-critical. It's mainly used in the banking and finance sectors, but it can be used for other sectors as well. XtremIO is an on-premises solution.

What is most valuable?

A valuable feature of XtremIO is that, in terms of administration, it's simple and manageable.

What needs improvement?

If you are looking at flash storage solutions, XtremIO doesn't offer any unique features. Most of my customers are migrating their workload from XtremIO to other formats because of this. If you look at Hitachi or IBM, they have the VSP G series or FlashSystem, these products have many features available. We can scale up and scale out, add multiple nodes, use a global cache, and we don't have the same kinds of features in XtremIO. Because of the lack of unique and key features, most customers nowadays don't want XtremIO.

XtremIO needs to have a global cache. Internal architecture should also be redefined and existing architecture sectioned off. Additional unique features should be added, rather than just common features like replication. Right now, XtremIO is an all-flash array, which is costly. I would like to see them come up with a hybrid model, one that is more cost-effective and may offer more benefits to customers.

Since XtremIO is all-flash, it doesn't currently have NAND support. I would like to see interface support from XtremIO, and at least NAND or SD card support. If they supported a combination of SSDs and SDs, that could be beneficial to some small and medium businesses.

Dell should also provide a data analysis tool, in the case of any issues with internal components like controls, cache, backup drive, etc. It would be helpful to have a tool to troubleshoot performance issues.

A last feature is that XtremIO should have a cloud mobility option, in addition to flash. XtremIO has no data migration features, so these features should be implemented without needing to purchase an additional license or application. XtremIO needs some fine-tuning and these are where I would start.

I have been working with XtremIO for three years.

This solution is stable and has good performance.

The scalability is good. The option to scale out is available on XtremIO.

I had a good experience with Dell EMC's support.

The setup process is simple.

My company proves implementation and maintenance services.

XtremIO is an all-flash array, which means it's a costly solution. When compared with general mid-range storage solutions, this is more expensive. As far as I know, there are no additional costs besides the license.

Other similar options are the Hitachi VSP G series or IBM's FlashSystem. These products have features that are missing from XtremIO.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend XtremIO primarily for big companies, but I would like to see improvements in terms of feature availability and reliability. Also, XtremIO doesn't support the IBM iSeries.

I would rate this solution a five out of ten, right in the middle. It's missing a lot of features and has a lot of room for improvement.

Find out what your peers are saying about Dell EMC, Pure Storage, IBM and others in All-Flash Storage Arrays. Updated: January 2022.
    564,729 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Infrastructure Systems Team Lead at a aerospace/defense firm with 10,001+ employees
    Excellent metro clustering, but scalability is limited, and installation could be simplified
    • "The Metro clustering and solid-state performance, are the most valuable features of this solution."
    • "I would like to see the ease of deployment and built-in Metro clustering."

What is our primary use case?

We have an on-premise cloud that serves as our primary storage.

How has it helped my organization?

We can have a geo cluster distributed across multiple data centers and move workloads between them.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The evergreen factor, which is the ability to upgrade in-place upgrades to new hardware could be improved.

I would like to see the ease of deployment and built-in Metro clustering.

I have been working with Dell EMC XtremIO for six years.

We use both XIO1 and XIO2.

Dell EMC XtremIO is very stable, it is just complicated.

Scalability has an upper limit, so it's difficult to scale to a certain extent, or to an enterprise, level, but it simply runs out. There is a limit to how far you can go.

We have 20,000 users with varied workloads from SAP, SharePoint, and Exchange.

We intend to replace it with something else or to upgrade it as it comes to its end of life.

Technical support can be quite problematic and difficult to resolve issues.

The initial installation was complex.

The deployment is ongoing as its capacity grows. It will most likely take three months to deploy.

We have a team of eight staff members to maintain this solution.

MTI assisted us with the deployment.

Licensing is approximately $200,000 per year.

There are no additional costs other than the licensing fees.

We have evaluated SolidFire and NetApp. The cost was the main difference.

What other advice do I have?

As it has come to its end of life, you can't recommend it. It has been superseded by another Dell product.

I would rate Dell EMC XtremIO a seven out of ten.

G. Manager- Technical Services with 51-200 employees
    Performs well and it is space-efficient with good data compression and inline deduplication features
    • "The performance is good, which is important."
    • "Scalability is something that can be improved because there is an issue when it comes to mixing versions."

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and we use Dell EMC products for our customers. The XtremIO is one of the all-flash storage arrays that we use.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are data compression and in-line deduplication.

The performance is good, which is important.

What needs improvement?

The cost of this solution could be reduced.

Scalability is something that can be improved because there is an issue when it comes to mixing versions. We cannot mix version one and version two. This is something that may have been improved but earlier, it is something that was a challenge in terms of scalability.

We have been using Dell EMC XtremIO for the past three or four years.

XtremIO is quite a stable solution.

Scaling this product is not easy.

I have been in contact with technical support and the experience was good.

The initial setup is straightforward. The deployment is not complex and not much time is required. The stop that takes time is data migration.

This solution is a little bit pricey.

When this product was launched and we procured it, it was good. Now that there are new products coming in, I don't know if they will continue with this one or not.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, I think that this is a good product.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Director at STORAGECORP Tecnologia
    Simple to implement with good integration and interface

What is our primary use case?

We are a partner with Dell and our specialization is storage.

What is most valuable?

Xtrem10's features are more simple to implement. The integration and interface are also good.

What needs improvement?

XtremIO needs to be lower priced. It also needs better endpoints and scalability.

Scability of Dell EMC XtremIO could be better.

We also use PowerStore which we find easier to implement.

XtremIO is too high priced, especially in Brazil.

What other advice do I have?

XtremIO is a good solution. I would rate it an 8 out of 10.

Which deployment model are you

What is our primary use case?

We are a partner with Dell and our specialization is storage.

What needs improvement?

Scability of Dell EMC XtremIO could be better.

We also use PowerStore which we find easier to implement.

XtremIO is too high priced, especially in Brazil.

What other advice do I have?

XtremIO is a good solution. I would rate it an 8 out of 10.

Product Categories
    All-Flash Storage Arrays
    Download our free All-Flash Storage Arrays Report and find out what your peers are saying about Dell EMC, Pure Storage, IBM, and more!