IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Barracuda Intronis Backup OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Barracuda Intronis Backup is #1 ranked solution in top MSP Backup tools and #6 ranked solution in top Deduplication Software. PeerSpot users give Barracuda Intronis Backup an average rating of 8 out of 10. Barracuda Intronis Backup is most commonly compared to Veeam Backup & Replication: Barracuda Intronis Backup vs Veeam Backup & Replication. Barracuda Intronis Backup is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 53% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 26% of all views.
Barracuda Intronis Backup Buyer's Guide

Download the Barracuda Intronis Backup Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2022

What is Barracuda Intronis Backup?

Barracuda Intronis Backup – MSP is a software-only BDR solution designed to offer value to your customers by protecting what matters most, while creating new opportunities to expand your margins and grow your business.

Intronis Backup is a software-only solution that goes beyond file-and-folder and delivers secure hybrid local and cloud backup services that offer flexible, comprehensive data protection — complemented by a simple pricing structure and a centralized management portal.

Barracuda Intronis Backup was previously known as Barracuda Backup.

Barracuda Intronis Backup Customers

Dematic, Levitt Safety, Osoyoos Credit Union, Viborel Distribuiao, European Tour, Papergraphics, Levitt Safety, Academy of Contemporary Music, Paul, Plevin, Sullivan & Connaughton, LLP, National History Museum, California Almond Board, American Radio Relay League, Kirkpatrick Bank, IAC, Healey Brothers Automotive Group, Mechanicsburg Area School District, Taylor Shellfish Farms, Drew Marine, inMusic, Mills Law Library, Healy Brothers Automotive Group, Thomas Kinkade Company, Hastings and Prince Edward Counties Health Unit

Barracuda Intronis Backup Video

Archived Barracuda Intronis Backup Reviews (more than two years old)

Antero Vasconcelos - PeerSpot reviewer
CTO, Co-owner at Truenet
Reseller
Archives the backup of emails and has excellent support
  • "The most important feature in Barracuda Backup is the ability to archive the backup of emails."
  • "I would like to see a way to increase space."

What is our primary use case?

I provide two versions of Barracuda Backup systems. The Barracuda Backup in up lines version 6.5. And Barracuda Cloud to Cloud Backup for Office 365. For Barracuda Backup systems on up lines, it's to do the backups for servers, laptops, and computers. They can use the up lines with Cloud application. For customers that are already on Office 365, they only have the opportunity to use the Barracuda Cloud to Cloud Backup. It only exists in the cloud. Barracuda Backup and Barracuda Cloud to Cloud Backup is for doing backups of data that has been backed up already at Office 365. With that solution, We provide an additional level of security in the Office 365 suite. Adding archiving and backup for groups from the teams. Backup for SharePoint, backup for OneDrive and backup emails. With Barracuda Cloud, the cloud backups are an additional layer that we can put.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

I think we can leverage more on backing up or collecting some data for all of the features that Office 365 gives us. Currently, they are doing the backup of Teams. They could also add the backup for the planner. For the Barracuda Backup system, they could at least have a chance to provide the backup for laptops and computers to the cloud. I would like to see a way to increase space. That is one of two questions that we get from customers, "And what happened if I need to increase space?" I would rate Barracuda Backup at a nine on a scale of ten.

I have used Barracuda Backup for a year and a half.
Barracuda Intronis Backup
June 2022
Learn what your peers think about Barracuda Intronis Backup. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2022.
607,127 professionals have used our research since 2012.

Barracuda Backup  is fairly stable. I like it.

I think scalability is the big gap. When you go to the Barracuda Backup systems as an up line, you buy a backup system for four terabytes of information. And if you want to add more, you only have one chance to buy another one. There is no way to increase space. Of course, Barracuda gives us a huge discount if we are doing some upgrade, but in the end, you need to buy another one.

Barracuda technical support is one of the best. First place is Extreme Network, and then Barracuda.

The setup of Barracuda Backup is very simple. Four to five hours is enough to do the deployment and configure lots of servers. We had six people involved in the deployment. We have two people who do only deployment, two who do deployment and support and two who do only support.

We perform deployments for Barracuda so our team implemented it.

Barracuda Backup systems, you can buy it on a monthly basis, but normally the customers want it every year. So, there are only four licenses for the updates for our software. They send a replacement, which is the support for maintenance on the disks. And there is another license that is on the cloud application. so we have our up lines, and we can add another level of security instead of having another up line. For a disaster recovery site, we can upload it to the Barracuda cloud and that's unlimited. There is no way to upgrade the license. Barracuda is a simple way of life. You license the box. No per-user license, no per-byte license, it's only one license for the box. You buy the product, you license the box. You do a cloud application, you license the box. There is no per-user license. Even for the backup for the cloud solution. Even for the additional firewall, all the licensing is to the box. It is a simple way of licensing. If you have only the box and you want VPN backup, you need a different license. But it's a license for the box, not a license for 10 VPN users. Not a license for IPS. It's not user-based.

What other advice do I have?

Trust Barracuda, at least give them a try, because unfortunately, they're not very known. At least give a try because it's a simple way of working. The support is excellent. And it is a very stable product. I would rate it a nine out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
Assistant Manager IT at a consultancy with 501-1,000 employees
Good backup speed for our virtual and local machines

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use for this solution is to back up our virtual machines and our local machines. Sometimes, we also backup our servers.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the speed of backup, which is very good compared to other solutions. For example, it is faster than Symantec Backup Exec.

What needs improvement?

The price of this solution could be improved.

In the next release of this solution, I would like to see cloud support and deduplication functionality. These features are not there and they should be.

I have been using Barracuda Backup for about three years.

The technical support is good.

I performed the deployment and it took about one hour.

What other advice do I have?

Barracuda is a good company to work with and I recommend this product.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Barracuda Intronis Backup
June 2022
607,127 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Jean MauriceProsper - PeerSpot reviewer
Chief Executive Officer at Nettobe Group
Quick deployment: Plug it in and be protected.
  • "They are the best support that we have had so far. When you contact or email them, they are very quick to respond. They always have someone available for us. That's what we want as a customer, we want someone to listen to us."
  • "Most important is its ease of use. You plug it in, follow the steps, and you have your backup file."
  • "We cannot backup Sun Micro systems. They are not currently supported."
  • "When we manage the box physically, we don't have as much control as we do when we manage from the cloud. The best management is from the cloud."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is for disaster recovery to back up the infrastructure, e.g., ESX backup. If there are any problems, We can restore quickly or live Boot the most important VMs and get back working in a very short period.

We have deployed an appliance in house (on premise), which backup our local servers. We have virtual servers running on VMware ESXi. Our Backup includes backing up the VMs separately but also backing up the ESXi completely.

We have a second virtual appliance running on a separate system which we use as our secondary backup platform.

We also have Cloud replication which is done from our on premise appliance to Barracuda Cloud.

How has it helped my organization?

Our previous recovery & backup solution did not give us the reliability and protection we were looking for.  The software based platform needed a dedicated storage, which required other skills to maintain and a complexity (with compatibility etc) in the simple task of backing up our data. We needed a backup or secondary Device to ensure reliability.

With Barracuda backup solutions, we have a complete and all-round data protection in place. The solutions comes with the backup platform and the required hardware for running the backup application and most importantly the storage required for backup. All in one, compatibility, multiple management platform, all this was gone. What we liked also was the unlimited amount of devices that could be backup , it only depended on our storage capacity (Model we purchased). Replication was easy as Barracuda backup comes with box-to-box replication (one simple configurations) , and a third level - Cloud Replication. Based on this, our reliability , availability and data protection was as it optimum. The IT team gained in time managing backups and restores, and could use these time for the development of further projects.

What is most valuable?

For us, the LIVE Boot was quite impressive because we runs mostly on VMware, on one occasion, we had an issue and the time we took to get back online was impressive. We did not have got restore, but to start the VMs directly from the Backup Appliance, and this was a total game changer. We can have our machines up in some minutes, while we keep doing our normal disaster recovery. And the magic is that all works that are being done on the live running machine are not lost when we switch back after completing our restoration.

The second, but not least, was the management platform which is very easy and very intuitive. It is not difficult to configure a backup strategy, and manage our backup and restore. It is very user-friendly and made to ease the job of the administrator. We let the solution do the hard part.

What needs improvement?

Most of the Management must be done using the Cloud Control. Logging directly on the box does provide some management, but not as much as we want. It is a concern if ether we run in a disaster situation where we have no connectivity to the internet / cloud control.

Our second issue was backing up Solaris / Sun systems. There was no support to backup such systems and solutions and we had to go for another solution for Sun /Solaris platforms.

Compatibility with all major OS / Platforms is very important as most government organisation in our region uses solutions that runs on Solaris platforms.

I have been using it for over five years now.

For an all-in-one solution, It is a very stable solution. We Never had any issues related to the system itself or any such kind of failures. Most integration were very easy, we used all the included features and had no issues (faults , not working , errors etc).

The way the solutions has been designed, scalability is not an issue.

They are the best support that we have had so far. When you contact or email them, they are very quick to respond. They always have someone available for us. That's what we want as a customer, we want someone to listen to us. We would generally get a reply and contact in less than an hour , with a support agent ready to take control and start troubleshooting any issues.

We previously used a range of solutions including Symantec, CommVault and Acronis. The reasons we opted for the change was for :
1) Cost of solution (purchase , renewals, maintenance )

2) Ease of use - Previous solutions quite complex to manage and maintain, Restore in some cases was so complex and failed.

3) Customer support: Many issues to get support to provide assistance when requested. We had to wait for days, before getting a reply, and further days to actually get someone from the support team to give assistance.

4) Training: Barracuda offers free access to their Training center which provides full training and certification on the solution ! We can then be mostly independent of support and really go to them when the system is really not working !

The initial setup is very straightforward. Just the usual configurations to do , networking , connectivity and so on. The second part of actually configuring our backup strategy was more easy than we expected. Reports and simple admin task is very well organised and displayed on the dashboard which makes it a great initial contact with the unit.

Implementation was done in-house. The support that we get from Barracuda support or via their campus / knowledgeable is quite thorough to get anyone started.

We are very satisfied with the ROI. We cannot emphasise enough on the "time saving" that this solutions brought us, in terms of pure costs, we were in  2 years already benefiting from our decision to invest in Barracuda solutions. We did not look only at the cost side to count our ROI.

Barracuda comes with a very strong proposition for our chasing the solution.

Their pricing is very competitive and the renewal costs are also very competitive.

The licensing is very easy to understand ! There is no per user licensing, no per device. We only need to use our choice on the number of Data that will be backup and the features we need (box to box replication need a minimum model), We can then choose Cloud replication as option and this also is very easy.

The solutions is also available through MSP partners, and in this case we can go for an OPEX model where we pay as we use, with all license included (Cloud Replication also).

We tested VEEAM and Acronis.

What other advice do I have?

Barracuda Backup is a solid contender when we are choosing a working Backup / disaster recovery solution. The features, support and ease of use makes it a very good return on investment. The IR subscription allows us to get a new updated unit every 4 years, lowering down the cost for re-investing in new units. When looking for a backup solution, we MUST consider the restore part ! Barracuda has been the one that provided q quicker and most reliable restore path and time.

Hybrid Cloud
    Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are a direct partner, but also a user of the solution in house. We choose our solutions based on our own experience in house.
    MOHMMED MERAJUDDIN - PeerSpot reviewer
    System Admininstrator at a university with 201-500 employees
    Handles critical backup needs and manages versions in high volume environments
    • "The product is easy to install and use while doing what it is expected to do."
    • "Some features like CIFS are not supported that would help speed and flexibility."

What is our primary use case?

We have mainly used this product for the management of backing up our servers. It is used to manage the server backups and not for our clients.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features for my usage of the product are the simplicity of use and the availability of support.

What needs improvement?

One part of the product that I think needs the most improvement is the recovery feature. It is not as fast as it should be.

https://www.itcentralstation.com/product_reviews/barracuda-backup-review-65726-by-mohmmed-merajuddin/edit#There are features in other solutions that this product does not have or support. For example, with some other products you can enlarge the disk core, you can have a multithreaded disk to maximize processing, there is SIT (System Integrated Testing) support, and CIFS (Common Internet File System) support. In my case, I think it would be a better product if I could have CIFS support for sharing folder. It should already be there.

The product as it is can make backups related to server and manages data versioning and unwanted files. But with CIFS support, it could share on EMC (Enhanced Memory Controller) or any other storage. This is an option, but an advantage in some cases.

Disk management can be improved by giving us the opportunity to increase or enlarge the disk during the recovery. Adding that and CIFS support will improve the utility and speed of the product.

We have been using this product for three years.

We have more than 10,000 users currently and we are using the product in high loads on a regular basis. Last year we had fewer licenses. This year, we needed to increase the capacity because we added a number of users. We had to increase the number of licenses to allow those users access. The scalability is not much harder than adding the licenses as long as the hardware can handle the capacity.

My experience with technical support is that it is good for day-to-day problems. If any real expertise needed, it takes time to get a reply sometimes. It may be that they need to improve in terms of having some additional, critical expertise on the support staff.

The installation and implementation of the product are not complex. It may be different if you want to do more complex things than we have implemented.

I did the installation and configurations myself.

What other advice do I have?

We recommend the product to other users because it is a good product. On a scale from one to ten, where one is the worst and ten is the best, Barracuda Backup is an eight. It does have some good features, but it needs to enhance some of the parts and add some features to give more flexibility and speed.

Nawaaz Toonah - PeerSpot reviewer
    Operations Manager at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
    Has a very easy installation with good technical support

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution and service provider, and this is one of the products that we provide and implement for our customers. I have my Barracuda certification and am due to renew it this year.

We have experience with the on-premises deployment model.

The primary use case for this solution is to perform routine backups that are scheduled daily, weekly, and monthly. The Barracuda is on our backup system, which is connected by fibre to our server.

What is most valuable?

The installation and operation of this solution are very smooth.

What needs improvement?

I would like to have a mix of backup between on-premises and the cloud.

I would like to see the automatic backup of critical applications to the cloud.

I have been using this solution for three years.

This is a stable solution. We perform backup drills to test the functionality, and we don't have any problems.

This is a scalable solution. I can add new tapes to the pool.

We are serving twenty clients using this solution.

Barracuda technical support is good. They have a lot of experience and have helped us.

Prior to using this solution, I was using Veritas Backup Exec.

The initial setup of this solution is very good. I am used to it.

This solution has no issues when it comes to installation and once it is configured, including the fine-tuning, it works fine.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

Rashid Alsalmi - PeerSpot reviewer
    Consultant at a tech services company
    Reseller
    Backs up all the data from different branches into the same repository and has the ability to restore all accounts from a single backup
    • "Easy, immediate protection for data that is virtually infinitely scalable."
    • "The solution needs fine-grained backup capabilities to service individual users. But this is a minor issue considering all that the product does."

What is our primary use case?

The security team is in charge of backup. They used to do what Barracuda does now manually. It was a huge overhead for them. The problem is now solved by going to the cloud. There's only one admin who does everything.

The implementation and management are done by one engineer. His role is just to set up the account the first time and that's pretty much it.

Maintenance is as easy as opening a Google email account. There's nothing much to be done. We'll have to look into customers internal issues on occasion, but these are all internal processes and have nothing to do with the performance of Barracuda.

If a machine disappears from the network and the customer unplugs it, Barracuda's not going to be able to see that machine. If there is ever a problem, it is with Windows itself or the operating system.

We have 12 customers right now and they've all been expanding the capacity slowly over the past year. Twelve customers might not be a lot, but for our country, that's quite good.

How has it helped my organization?

The backup has provided solutions that are very helpful to all clients. For example, we have customers who have multiple branches who used to backup things on premises. It was a really hectic process because the branches were remote. With Barracuda, we put everything under one account and they back up all the data from different branches into the same repository. They can restore all these accounts from a single backup.

It reduced really the overhead for storage.

What is most valuable?

One of the most valuable things about this solution is that it's easy to manage. We're selling multiple Barracuda products and all of them can be managed through one interface and one management console.

It is a very efficient solution. Even just the standard package is amazing.

What needs improvement?

We look forward to their upcoming release of a hybrid on the cloud. Apart from that, there is nothing needed.

Another thing is that some customers want to backup individual users. They do not want device based, not machine based, not IP, but a backup of personal folders on a Windows machine. Barracuda doesn't have this functionality. It does backup over machines and shared folders, but not user profiles. Backing up user profiles might be an extra feature that will be useful.

Maybe technicians who work the field might have more suggestions.

We have been using the product for more than six months.

This is really only a matter of communication. After installation, everything is done in just a few minutes. The program compresses the data and does encryption, so it's quite secure.

There are no complaints about stability.

The scalability is really only limited by Amazon. Their hosting platform is huge so it is virtually unlimited. The customer can choose to scale as they want. Barracuda is able to handle as many accounts as we give them.

We are a Barracuda partner. We just attended their annual meeting last month and annual partner meeting. They have an amazing road map of what is planned for the future. We are in touch with all of the leaders within the company. We have very easy access to their technical layers, the sales there and so on. They are a really good, responsive company.

We resell, so we do sell some other competing backup systems to meet specific needs. We resell full disaster recovery solutions, for example. I can't offer Barracuda in that case. When clients are migrating from one site to another and they want a hot backup, we would use a different solution for that as well. But for standard backup requirements, we cover them pretty nicely with Barracuda.

Clients use Barracuda for one of two reasons. Either the low cost or to solve multi-branch issues. If a customer is managing ten appliances in ten different branches, it is very easy to explain the cost benefit and the benefit of zero management.

We sometimes have a problem with some customers who fall under government regulation. They are generally not allowed to send any data outside the country. In that case, they have to continue with an on-premise solution unless Barracuda opens a cloud within the country, which is not likely.

It really takes about five minutes to set it up. It's all on the cloud, as I said. Straightforward. There's no appliance on the customer's side, just an account managed through the cloud.

We expect that there will be issues once they start offering services on premium hybrid cloud just because it will be a new way of providing services. But we expect that will be minimal and they will have it tested beforehand.

We do our own installations and it takes hardly any time at all.

Customers get a return on their investment from day one. They automate backups and secure their data immediately. They don't have to worry about that anymore and it costs less. They used to have to upgrade equipment every five years and that responsibility comes off their plate.

Even if you buy that equipment Barracuda gives you a free upgrade and replacement every five years. Your cost is known in advance. You do make savings in cost and have reduced overhead as well.

The pricing is great and the functionality is amazing. Barracuda holds space on the Amazon cloud which makes it highly efficient. There's no problem with storage. The remaining challenge is just the client internet connection which will be more of an issue than Barracuda functionality.

The pricing is pretty straightforward.

There are other providers for the same type of service, but Barracuda has a good reputation. Sometimes we just upsell to people who already have Barracuda Email Secure Gateway. If you add the backup product, you managing it from within the same console so it's much easier than going with another solution.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this product a nine out of ten because giving it a ten is an admission of perfection. I can't do that. I don't believe they are perfect yet. I love it, I never have complaints from customers and usually most of the problems that we face are not necessarily Barracuda's issues. I can say it's quite a good product. I'll recommend it easily.

There are situations where improvements can be made to anything. For example, they don't cover every possible operating system in the world. I don't expect them to do that, so that will always be something missing. Even if the same is true for any other solution, they have to be so good that they surpass my imagination.

I believe they are doing some interesting stuff right now to improve what they already have. They are improving integration for example, their backup with other services will work better. They are enhancing the alert service, and so on. There are quite a few interesting things that they're doing.

They are also introducing an API, which allows other products to interface with Barracuda backup. The backup can be responsive instead of a pre-scheduled function. For example, if the number of attacks on the company increases by 7%, I might have a trigger for Barracuda to do a backup just in case. These are not backup issues, they are enhancements. They're not related to the main reason why the customer asks for Barracuda backup but they're nice things to have. It's really amazing stuff they're introducing.

Everything is done by Barracuda on Amazon. All we have to work with is just a simple interface. There are no problems at all. The advice I can give to people who use traditional backup solutions is to look into the benefits that you get from the cloud and the cost savings that you get.

Operations Manager at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
    It is doing its job perfectly and adequately. At times it is unstable.

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case is for full-system backup.

What is most valuable?

I find the most valuable feature is the reliability of the solution. It is doing the job perfectly adequately for us.

What needs improvement?

I find that there always seems to be some reason to cause the backup to fail. We really need it to achieve a consistency in terms of successful backups.

We are still trying to get confident with daily usage of the solution. It is not always stable.

The scalability of the product is fine.

I did not have any direct experience with technical support.

I had indirect involvement with the setup of the solution. It was mainly done by a colleague of mine on our team.

Tim Lillis - PeerSpot reviewer
    Sr. System Engineer at a non-tech company with 501-1,000 employees
    This backup product is by far the simplest to install and use
    • "Of all the backup products we have used, this by far is the simplest to install and use."
    • "Compared to Avamar and Data Domain (our other systems), the backup speed is slow."

What is most valuable?

Ease of use. Of all the backup products we have used, this by far is the simplest to install and use.

How has it helped my organization?

We are able to give more control to lower level techs, because it is not over engineered and too complex to hand control over without training.

What needs improvement?

Speed of backups. Compared to Avamar and Data Domain (our other systems), the backup speed is slow.

Seven years.

Yes, you need a new unit when growing.

Excellent. For every ticket we open, the response is very quick.

Extremely straightforward. You simply give it an IP address and your Barracuda account, and it calls home. Then, you can manage it from the cloud site.

What other advice do I have?

If you need a backup system in place and running quickly, get this product. Just realize the backups might take longer than the much more expensive counterparts in the market.

Systems Engineer at a university with 201-500 employees
    Provides us with cloud replication at a reasonable cost
    • "The superior support from Barracuda in setting up, using, and helping with issues for the product."
    • "The web interface needs to contain a more up-to-date view of the hardware."

What is most valuable?

How has it helped my organization?

It allows us a low cost backup solution for hardware-based, VMware, and Hyper-V systems all from a single platform. Also, it provides us with cloud replication at a reasonable cost.

What needs improvement?

The web interface needs to contain a more up-to-date view of the hardware. It is slow in showing real time data. Barracuda says they are working on a completely new web interface to fix this.

Five years.

None.

You have to upgrade to a newer version if you want to expand. They do allow trade-ins, however.

Better than a 10 out of 10. Their support is absolutely the best in the business.

Moderate, but they will help you through every step of setting it up.

What other advice do I have?

Call them and let them do a live presentation for you. They will give you access to an online demo version to play with.

Download our free Barracuda Intronis Backup Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: June 2022