IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Asana OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Asana is #7 ranked solution in top Project Management Software. PeerSpot users give Asana an average rating of 8.2 out of 10. Asana is most commonly compared to monday.com: Asana vs monday.com. Asana is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 56% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 20% of all views.
Asana Buyer's Guide

Download the Asana Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: August 2022

What is Asana?

Asana is web-based software-as-a-service that helps teams coordinate and manage their work. It helps companies move faster by making sure everyone knows the team’s plan and process and who is doing what by when.

Each user can create projects using a list, board, calendar, or timeline view. Within each project, users can add tasks, subtasks, sections, comments, attachments, start and due dates, and custom fields. Project and task followers get notifications on changes or comments on the project and/or task in their Inbox. Individual users can see all of the tasks they're responsible for across all of their projects in a view called My Tasks.

Asana is available in English, French, Spanish, German, and Portuguese.

Asana Customers

Uber, Vodaphone, NASA, Spotify, Lyft, Baggu, Udacity, Patreon, Flipboard, Dropbox, Intel, Samsung, Airbnb, SFMoma, Hubspot, Trivago

Asana Video

Archived Asana Reviews (more than two years old)

Customer Relationship Manager Coordinator at Yamaha Motor
A user can create custom templates with any project, but the templates should allow for a default assignee
  • "Asana has helped me (as an individual contributor) organize my daily work and given me a way to plan for longer term objectives."
  • "A user should be able to identify an assignee for specific tasks or task types while applying the template, or at a minimum, allow for a default assignee. As it is, the template gets created with the just task dates driven by the project start and end dates inputted by the user. In my current situation, I'm assigning myself to many tasks, so I have to do that manually every time. Even if I eventually start adding other people to assign tasks, there won't be more than a handful to do. However, those few people will have multiple tasks. It would be nice to be able to select those individuals during the setup rather than having to do so manually once the project has been created."

What is our primary use case?

I work on a marketing team in a position that was created to implement a CRM Communication Program for existing customers. Because this was a new position and I was new to the company, I was tasked with collaborating with several people across multiple teams. In my experience, it's very difficult to get work done effectively without some kind of project or task management tool. After trying out various online solutions, I learned that one of our divisions was already using Asana so I figured I would give it a try.

How has it helped my organization?

Asana has helped me (as an individual contributor) organize my daily work and given me a way to plan for longer term objectives. I initially started using Asana just to manage day-to-day tasks, but as I became more comfortable with the software, I also began to use it as a way to capture campaign ideas so I could eventually convert them to projects and track them. I also started to use the Portfolios feature as a way to report high level statuses of all my work to my manager. Having a portfolio for him serves as an executive dashboard.

What is most valuable?

In addition to the Portfolios feature benefits, I find the ability to create custom project templates very useful. Creating projects can be time consuming, especially if they are complex (e.g., many tasks, multiple dependencies, multiple sections, etc.). Even copying a project to reuse it (which is common in a lot of other solutions) can create more work by duplicating unnecessary information. Instead, Asana allows a user to use any project as a template that can be selected when creating a new project. So, I have created base projects for various types of projects with only the tasks that would be completed and then use those as templates.

What needs improvement?

While having custom templates is a big benefit, I see a lot of opportunities for improvement in Asana's execution of the concept. A user should be able to identify an assignee for specific tasks or task types while applying the template, or at a minimum, allow for a default assignee. As it is, the template gets created with the just task dates driven by the project start and end dates inputted by the user. In my current situation, I'm assigning myself to many tasks, so I have to do that manually every time. Even if I eventually start adding other people to assign tasks, there won't be more than a handful to do. However, those few people will have multiple tasks. It would be nice to be able to select those individuals during the setup rather than having to do so manually once the project has been created.

Asana
August 2022
Learn what your peers think about Asana. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: August 2022.
620,987 professionals have used our research since 2012.

Nine months.

I have not experienced any issues with stability.

It is very scalable.

I have not had any interaction with a support team as of yet.

I previously used Jira at a different company to manage a different kind of team.

We're not using any custom features that would require setup from the vendor.

Use of vendor services was not required.

I have not calculated an ROI tied to using this software.

Asana has two different types of structures: company vs workspace. Company is really best if all the users you plan to assign work to are all internal (have the same corporate domain in their user ID email address). Once one person signs up (even for a free account) with a corporate email address, Asana will automatically relate that person to that company, if it already exists. If you plan to use it for external collaboration as well as internal, then creating a workspace is a better approach.

Before deciding on Asana, I tried Trello, monday.com, and ClickUp.

What other advice do I have?

It would be nice in the future to add the ability to customize the colors of the interface and add company branding.

Other
Fran Maita - PeerSpot reviewer
Analyst at 1980
Leaderboard
Promotes collaboration, improves efficiency, and helps to make tedious tasks more fun
  • "By using this software, I have adaptability in my work, and it can improve the production of our company."
  • "The inbox feature can be a little overwhelming if you are working with Asana just from its project boards and only checking it periodically."

What is our primary use case?

Asana offers better communication within groups. I can create tasks and sub-tasks. Asana also gives me the option to delegate the tasks to my team, and it has helped us increase the productivity of our teams. My teams will get a notification on who is taking care of the tasks, and I can keep track of the tasks that are already finished. A level of urgency can be placed on each task so that my team can work faster, and they can work efficiently.

How has it helped my organization?

Asana is an incredible help as it gives me the option to customize and compose each of my companies, and it lets me do it most efficiently. I immediately see amazing results in my tasks since the product’s framework has allowed combination and correspondence. This software can generate more efficient teamwork in my team.

What is most valuable?

This product is versatile for an organization. It has elements that can be useful for my team and me, as it has capabilities that will suit our needs.

The software also promotes a healthy back office management system that will benefit everyone in the company.

Marking projects/events complete as they happen is valuable. The fun animation makes every completed task feel like a win, and it makes using the tool more fun. Very helpful when doing something that is normally tedious.

With regard to project management, the ability for us to track our projects all in one place is very helpful. Transparency makes it easy for everyone to be on the same page.

What needs improvement?

• The inbox feature can be a little overwhelming if you are working with Asana just from its project boards and only checking it periodically. It would be great if it auto-cleared once a project/task is marked complete.
  • Email notifications can get excessive. You have complete control over them but initially, they can be annoying until you set the frequency you want them. It would be better if this was set during the sign-up process.
  • Notes, discussions, and attachments in subtasks sometimes go unnoticed if working from the main project board.

I have been using Asana for more than one year.

I did not use another solution prior to this one.

The initial setup of Asana is quite simple.

We deployed using our internal team.

• More work gets done by keeping everyone on task and giving management visibility on progress.
  • Asana makes it simple to get people organized and on task for projects.
  • Fewer meetings are required using Asana saving both time and money for the company.

The price of this solution makes it quite accessible, and the plans fit my budget.

No other options were evaluated before choosing Asana.

What other advice do I have?

If you are working with a cross-functional team with multiple projects on the go regularly, Asana is a lifesaver. Everything can be shared in one place. Delegation is a breeze. Communication happens in real-time.

This product is well suited for teams where different folks are collaborating on assignments and there needs to be a clear outline as to who is working on what. It helps set very transparent expectations for progress and follow up. It may not be necessary for non-collaborative environments.

Hybrid Cloud

Google
Asana
August 2022
620,987 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Past and present project notifications help keep everything on track
  • "I love the way it monitors all of the current and past projects, and it sends notifications to keep everything on the track."
  • "This solution has a learning curve, where it is initially difficult to use."

What is our primary use case?

We are using this solution for project management and it is working great.

How has it helped my organization?

Asana has efficient and powerful features. I really like the way it works, keeping all of our projects on track.

It is a well-suited platform for our organization that is providing effective services.

What is most valuable?

I love the way it monitors all of the current and past projects, and it sends notifications to keep everything on the track.

What needs improvement?

This solution has a learning curve, where it is initially difficult to use.

What other advice do I have?

This is an effective project management tool.

While it was difficult to use in the beginning, it is now working great and giving wonderful results.

It is really an amazing product and I have nothing bad to say about this tool.

Lawrence Hecht - PeerSpot reviewer
President (consultant) at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Leaderboard
I like that it integrates with other software. It doesn't allow me to manage projects by hour.

What is most valuable?

I like that it integrates with a lot of other software.

What needs improvement?

I shouldn't have to use InstaGANTT to get a good view of the projects. Also, it doesn't allow me to manage projects by hour. Finally, I want to look at sub-tasks on the top-level view.

I have used it for one year.

We have not encountered any deployment issues.

We have not encountered any stability issues.

We have not encountered any scalability issues.

Director of Operations at Armada Cloud
Reseller
Great collaborative project management tool but needs Gantt

What is most valuable?

I use Asana daily to keep track of projects and tasks for myself and my team. Simple dashboard provides information at a glance - very helpful for keeping things moving in daily standing meetings.

How has it helped my organization?

Centralized project and task tracking keeps our teams accountable without progress and updates being lost in email or conversation.

What needs improvement?

If Gantt charts were implemented, this would be a near perfect project management solution.

5 years

What other advice do I have?

Make sure to have your team download the app - great way to make sure things are updated on the go.

VP of Marketing at Amenity Analytics
Review about Asana

Valuable Features:

The structure of organizing tasks is ideal for me.  I've used a variety of project management tools like Basecamp and they aren't nearly as intuitive.

Improvements to My Organization:

One page of glass for the entire marketing team to get all the information they need, even if they didn't attend any of the meetings.  Great for historical archiving as well as new tasks.

Room for Improvement:

I haven't reached the point where I've maximized the functionality or was looking for something that wasn't there. I recently started using the API with Slack, but haven't seen any issues so far.

it_user430878 - PeerSpot reviewer
Project Manager at a non-profit with 51-200 employees
​You can add pics and share them like any other remark or note.

Valuable Features:

You can add pics and share them like any other remark or note.

Improvements to My Organization:

Since we embedded  this product in our work flow allowed us to cut tasks just from the characterization process to the immediate scopes.

Room for Improvement:

They should take more steps forward in all modules that relate to employees management. They have all the information so they should offer more advanced data mining tools, and even some simple tools such as task timer etc.

Deployment Issues:

We had no deployment issues.

Stability Issues:

There have been no issues with the stability.

Scalability Issues:

We have had no issues scaling this for our needs.

Cost and Licensing Advice:

They always keep the feel of being in a Beta version, and every new feature requires money.

Other Advice:

Don't lose touch with your old methods, because this find product hasn't yet defined itself, so you can't count and adapt it completely. I would wait until the interface and the services bank will fulfill their potential.

Managing Member at Christiano Ferraro Consultancy, LLC
I've found that for certain clients, it's cost effective for inviting outsourced resources to contribute to specific projects.

What is most valuable?

The visual thumbnails for viewing appended image files to a project are very helpful.

How has it helped my organization?

For certain clients, this is a cost effective means of inviting outsourced resources to contribute to specific projects.

What needs improvement?

When evaluating project management software, the fundamental requirement I consider remains its ability to provide me a high level of view of all areas of the project so I can drill down to what is immediately relevant.

Asana does an OK job of this, but not as good as some of the alternatives out there.

One year.

No, deployment is very straightforward.

No stability issues so far.

No scalability issues so far. Admittedly, clients that use this do not typically have data intensive projects.

Simple setup.

N/A

For the free version, it does quite a lot so I would start there. Upgrade if the functionality is directly relevant to improving process efficiency for your organization.

Basecamp

What other advice do I have?

For a free solution, it does provide a lot of value. As a paid solution, this can be an appropriate fit depending on the circumstance.

SEO Project Manager with 51-200 employees
With features such as My Tasks and the ability to comment on team members' work, we've improved our time management and made our efforts more efficient.

Valuable Features:

• My Tasks
  • Due date timeline
  • Co-op work
  • Ability to comment

Improvements to My Organization:

We've been able to improve our time management, making our efforts more efficient.

Room for Improvement:

For me, this is a perfect product. I can't think of any improvements.

Co-founder, COO with 51-200 employees
It provides an overview of all tasks and helps us determine whether we're on the right track within a project's deadlines.

Valuable Features:

This tool is really interesting because I can have an overview of all the team's tasks and be sure we are on the right track in order to respect the project's deadlines.

Improvements to My Organization:

Since we're using Asana, everyone has a better vision about the global missions which composed the project. It's also much better in order to coordinate teams.

Use of Solution:

I'm using Asana for more than a year

Stability Issues:

Scalability Issues:

Download our free Asana Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: August 2022