We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why

Asana OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Asana is #6 ranked solution in top Project Management Software. PeerSpot users give Asana an average rating of 8 out of 10. Asana is most commonly compared to monday.com: Asana vs monday.com. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 23% of all views.
What is Asana?

Asana is web-based software-as-a-service that helps teams coordinate and manage their work. It helps companies move faster by making sure everyone knows the team’s plan and process and who is doing what by when.

Each user can create projects using a list, board, calendar, or timeline view. Within each project, users can add tasks, subtasks, sections, comments, attachments, start and due dates, and custom fields. Project and task followers get notifications on changes or comments on the project and/or task in their Inbox. Individual users can see all of the tasks they're responsible for across all of their projects in a view called My Tasks.

Asana is available in English, French, Spanish, German, and Portuguese.

Asana Buyer's Guide

Download the Asana Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2022

Asana Customers

Uber, Vodaphone, NASA, Spotify, Lyft, Baggu, Udacity, Patreon, Flipboard, Dropbox, Intel, Samsung, Airbnb, SFMoma, Hubspot, Trivago

Asana Video

Asana Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Asana pricing:
  • "Asana has two different types of structures: company vs workspace. Company is really best if all the users you plan to assign work to are all internal (have the same corporate domain in their user ID email address). Once one person signs up (even for a free account) with a corporate email address, Asana will automatically relate that person to that company, if it already exists. If you plan to use it for external collaboration as well as internal, then creating a workspace is a better approach."
  • "It has a free version."
  • Asana Reviews

Customer Relationship Manager Coordinator at Yamaha Motor
    A user can create custom templates with any project, but the templates should allow for a default assignee
    • "Asana has helped me (as an individual contributor) organize my daily work and given me a way to plan for longer term objectives."
    • "A user should be able to identify an assignee for specific tasks or task types while applying the template, or at a minimum, allow for a default assignee. As it is, the template gets created with the just task dates driven by the project start and end dates inputted by the user. In my current situation, I'm assigning myself to many tasks, so I have to do that manually every time. Even if I eventually start adding other people to assign tasks, there won't be more than a handful to do. However, those few people will have multiple tasks. It would be nice to be able to select those individuals during the setup rather than having to do so manually once the project has been created."

What is our primary use case?

I work on a marketing team in a position that was created to implement a CRM Communication Program for existing customers. Because this was a new position and I was new to the company, I was tasked with collaborating with several people across multiple teams. In my experience, it's very difficult to get work done effectively without some kind of project or task management tool. After trying out various online solutions, I learned that one of our divisions was already using Asana so I figured I would give it a try.

How has it helped my organization?

Asana has helped me (as an individual contributor) organize my daily work and given me a way to plan for longer term objectives. I initially started using Asana just to manage day-to-day tasks, but as I became more comfortable with the software, I also began to use it as a way to capture campaign ideas so I could eventually convert them to projects and track them. I also started to use the Portfolios feature as a way to report high level statuses of all my work to my manager. Having a portfolio for him serves as an executive dashboard.

What is most valuable?

In addition to the Portfolios feature benefits, I find the ability to create custom project templates very useful. Creating projects can be time consuming, especially if they are complex (e.g., many tasks, multiple dependencies, multiple sections, etc.). Even copying a project to reuse it (which is common in a lot of other solutions) can create more work by duplicating unnecessary information. Instead, Asana allows a user to use any project as a template that can be selected when creating a new project. So, I have created base projects for various types of projects with only the tasks that would be completed and then use those as templates.

What needs improvement?

While having custom templates is a big benefit, I see a lot of opportunities for improvement in Asana's execution of the concept. A user should be able to identify an assignee for specific tasks or task types while applying the template, or at a minimum, allow for a default assignee. As it is, the template gets created with the just task dates driven by the project start and end dates inputted by the user. In my current situation, I'm assigning myself to many tasks, so I have to do that manually every time. Even if I eventually start adding other people to assign tasks, there won't be more than a handful to do. However, those few people will have multiple tasks. It would be nice to be able to select those individuals during the setup rather than having to do so manually once the project has been created.

Nine months.

I have not experienced any issues with stability.

It is very scalable.

I have not had any interaction with a support team as of yet.

I previously used Jira at a different company to manage a different kind of team.

We're not using any custom features that would require setup from the vendor.

Use of vendor services was not required.

I have not calculated an ROI tied to using this software.

Before deciding on Asana, I tried Trello, monday.com, and ClickUp.

What other advice do I have?

It would be nice in the future to add the ability to customize the colors of the interface and add company branding.

Other
    Immigration Technology Specialist at a legal firm with 501-1,000 employees
    An intuitive and user-friendly solution that provides different types of views and has a good knowledge base and customer support
    • "It is pretty comprehensive when it comes to the different views that it gives you. It gives you a Gantt chart view, calendar view, board view, and list view. It is kind of helpful to have different types of views and see how it views your different tasks. I appreciate being able to do that. The biggest thing is that it is extremely user friendly. Asana is pretty intuitive. Someone who is not tech-savvy can kind of catch on quickly. It is better than other tools like Smartsheet. Some of the other tools like Microsoft Project and Excel are great tools, but you have to invest a lot of time to learn them, which is not the case with Asana."
    • "There could be some improvements in terms of how projects or day-to-day work is organized. One of the challenges when it comes to rolling out to an enterprise is the way the projects are organized. It has a kind of setup where you have different projects and tasks, but it is not as organized as Smartsheet when it comes to organizing projects or different teams. It can get really cluttered really fast. JIRA has another suite to submit the support tickets. It would be good if Asana could branch out to incorporate some kind of workflow. It is great for collaboration and recording work, but there isn't any workflow. It would be useful if they can map out a workflow of who approves what. This is kind of a big ask, and it is not geared towards that."

What is our primary use case?

I use it as a project management tool and as my day-to-day tool to capture and plan out my work.

It has business and professional editions. Currently, I am using the professional edition. I am using the latest version of this solution.

How has it helped my organization?

It has helped our organization. Everyone is kind of using the same software. Instead of having an Excel sheet here or a Word document there to capture work, we have everything in one system.

What is most valuable?

It is pretty comprehensive when it comes to the different views that it gives you. It gives you a Gantt chart view, calendar view, board view, and list view. It is kind of helpful to have different types of views and see how it views your different tasks. I appreciate being able to do that.

The biggest thing is that it is extremely user friendly. Asana is pretty intuitive. Someone who is not tech-savvy can kind of catch on quickly. It is better than other tools like Smartsheet. Some of the other tools like Microsoft Project and Excel are great tools, but you have to invest a lot of time to learn them, which is not the case with Asana.

What needs improvement?

There could be some improvements in terms of how projects or day-to-day work is organized.
    One of the challenges when it comes to rolling out to an enterprise is the way the projects are organized. It has a kind of setup where you have different projects and tasks, but it is not as organized as Smartsheet when it comes to organizing projects or different teams. It can get really cluttered really fast.

JIRA has another suite to submit the support tickets. It would be good if Asana could branch out to incorporate some kind of workflow. It is great for collaboration and recording work, but there isn't any workflow. It would be useful if they can map out a workflow of who approves what. This is kind of a big ask, and it is not geared towards that.

I have been using Asana for the last three months.

It is stable. I don't know about any bugs or issues at the moment.

I have scaled it a little bit, but I haven't scaled it to fit the complete enterprise. I have mostly scaled it for a couple of teams using it. It was easy for small teams, but scaling it when you get to tens of thousands might be a challenge. It is great for small-sized and medium-sized businesses.

Currently, we have just a few users. We have a data scientist, a technologist, and a manager.

They have a really good customer experience team. I would give them a solid ten out of ten. They provide really good tech support, and they are very responsive. They set up a call with you and walk you through it. I appreciate that.

I used Excel. I switched to Asana because it is easier for most people to kind of see it live how the work is progressing. With Excel, you have to save the work, and someone else has to open it up, whereas, with Asana, it is live. That's the major takeaway in terms of capturing work.

The initial setup is straightforward.

It has a free version.

What other advice do I have?

I would suggest looking through their knowledge base. They have a really good knowledge base for different use cases. I would even recommend trying out the trial, which is available for one month. With any tool, you just need to know what your specific needs are.

I would rate Asana an eight out of ten because I'm still learning how to use it. It is not a tool that covers everything. It is good for my purpose, and that right now is just tracking the work and collaborating with other folks.

Learn what your peers think about Asana. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
    564,322 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Manager at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Easy to use and setup with great stability
    • "It's an easy way to communicate."
    • "There just needs to be a bit more direction on how to use it at the outset."

What is our primary use case?

I'm using it for communication with the company that we are reselling for. I'm not the owner of the products. Most of the questions that they're getting from our sales department they have to ask the vendor, so it's a nice way to communicate. It's a very good tool, very nice tool for delivering communications with the company.

What is most valuable?

It's a very useful tool because it's very easy to follow a path and its progress.

It's easy to open and close cases, and get answers. You can put a time limitation when the task must be done or when another person has to respond.

It's perfect because it's online and all the communications I see on most platforms, so it's very nice.

It's an easy way to communicate.

The solution offers fun easter eggs as you work through it.

The product remembers previously asked questions and can direct you back to them.

The solution overall is very easy to use.

It's better than email because email due to the fact that sometimes you can lose some email. This way everything is much more accessible and searchable.

What needs improvement?

You have to understand some basic functions on how to do tasks. For example, I didn't use any help file or helping tool to try to understand better what it could do. It took me, let's say a few trials to find how out how to import somebody on the Cloud. There just needs to be a bit more direction on how to use it at the outset.

A few weeks ago I started to use the Asana project management tool.

The solution is quite a stable product. I haven't faced any issues so far. That said, it's new and I haven't explored everything.

While I assume that the solution can scale well, I am only using it for limited purposes and therefore have never tested its capabilities.

We do plan to continue to use it so long as the company we are working with is using it.

We've never had to reach out to technical support. If we have technical issues, we can just ask our company's IT department.

We didn't previously use a different solution. This is the first product of this nature. What we used that was similar was previously provided by Office 365.

The setup is not complex. It's pretty straightforward. You can also install it on multiple devices. I installed it on my mobile device, and so I'm getting notifications also on the mobile device but mainly I'm using this where we have the Explorer, the web browser.

The installation did not require too many questions. Sometimes though, the system, for the application to sync with the web, takes a moment. However, it's minimal. The installation process was a matter of moments.

We have a free Asana license that covers my work. We don't have any costs associated with it.

What other advice do I have?

The solution is actually something that was recommended by one of our partners. I don't see many of these kinds of OEM products.

I'm using the web application. I'm assuming that it is the latest version.

I didn't upgrade it to the business as I didn't buy the business license.

I would recommend the solution. I'd rate it ten out of ten. I've never used anything quite like it.

Gordon E Braun-Woodbury
    Marketing Operations practice leader at Calibrate Legal, inc.
    Reliable, simple to set up, and effective task management
    • "The ability to share projects and tasks among team members appears to be the most valuable feature."
    • "For large teams, scalability should be improved."

What is our primary use case?

Our marketing team has four people who use it exclusively for marketing projects.

There is one super-user/administrator who is a marketing coordinator and is in charge of setting up projects and assigning tasks. The rest of us operate within the framework she has established.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

For large teams, scalability should be improved.

I used it on a client engagement three years ago, and have recently adopted it for our internal project. I've been using it again for two months.

We haven't seen any issues with the stability of Asana. It has been working, and everything is fine.

I am not sure about the scalability of Asana.

If I were to scale it, I believe it is more of a team solution for a small team or an individual.

I don't see it as something that you would want to apply to a large team within an enterprise.

It appears to be best suited for a small or, medium-sized team.

Some organizations use it more widely, but I am not sure how that would work.

This solution is used by our marketing team.

I have not contacted technical support. I haven't had to deal with them.

This solution is great. I have tried a few other work management, and project management solutions and this one is the best for my requirements.

The initial setup was completely straightforward, and simple.

We had no trouble understanding the functionality or configuring it to meet our needs. It has been a very positive experience.

The deployment is extremely easy. We are releasing it to people as they come on board, and they are adapting to it very well.

The administrator is in charge of deploying and maintaining the solution, as well as keeping it up to date.

I wasn't involved in the acquisition. I am not aware of any pricing details.

What other advice do I have?

The key to successfully utilizing this project management tool is to be very clear about how it is set up, to have someone in charge of creating projects to avoid duplication and to have some ground rules around the configuration. Otherwise, it could inevitably turn into a bunch of individual task lists. There are many individual to-do list apps available, as such you don't need an app like this for that.

It all comes down to being very clear. This is a project collaboration app for teams, and for a team to collaborate on a project, there must be general agreement on what the project is, what the stages are, what the deliverables are, and so on.

I'm still exploring how to use it properly. I'm not the best person to inquire about new features, but it's very impressive, and I'm discovering a lot of great features and capabilities as I use it.

I would rate Asana a nine out of ten.

KarlMcGowan
    Co-Founder at MyBenefits
    Easy to use and set up but you need to have an action plan in order to really get its full benefits
    • "The solution appears to be quite stable."
    • "You need to have an action plan, otherwise, it won't be as effective."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the product for managing our partner plans and partner deals.

What is most valuable?

The ease at which to create new projects is great. That's the main reason we use it.

It's a very straightforward setup.

The solution appears to be quite stable.

They offer a free version that we are able to use without cost.

What needs improvement?

Nothing is missing in terms of features at the moment.

You need to have a plan going in or it might be hard to use. You need to have an action plan, otherwise, it won't be as effective.

I've been using the solution for a year and a half.

My impression is that the solution is stable. We haven't had problems with bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze.

We only deployed it to six people. In terms of its full scalability potential, I'm unsure. We've never really tried to expand it.

All of our users are in sales and marketing.

At this point in time, we have no plans for expanding usage.

I haven't used technical support. I cannot speak to how helpful or responsive they are.

We used Excel previously. We needed something that was easier for everybody to access and therefore we moved over to this.

The initial setup is very straightforward and simple. It's not a complex process.

Each project takes one to two hours to set up.

It's cloud-based. Once in a while, we'll have a new project and we'll go through the setup process for it. Being cloud-based also means there's no maintenance required. It's all very easy.

We handle everything ourselves. We do not need the assistance of outside help.

We use the free version of the solution at this time. We do not need to pay for it.

What other advice do I have?

I'm a customer and an end-user.

We are using the latest version of the solution.

I'd rate the solution at a seven out of ten. We're pretty happy with it overall.

I'd advise those considering Asana to go in with a plan. If you have a plan, it makes it easier to implement it. Don't just try and create it. Have a plan of what you want to organize, and it makes it very simple. As long as you've got a plan, it's an easy product to use.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
    Jaufre Rouanet
    Partner and CEO at JRC CORPORATE CONSULTING
    Stable and easy to set up but requires more training resources
    • "It is stable and easy to set up."
    • "We tried, but we haven't been successful with it. If people don't have the training, it is not easy to use. You need to make sure that the people are trained to use the system. They can provide more resources in the form of webcasts and videos that people can use to train themselves and understand how to use it."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use it for task management and project management.

What is most valuable?

It is stable and easy to set up.

What needs improvement?

We tried, but we haven't been successful with it. If people don't have the training, it is not easy to use. You need to make sure that the people are trained to use the system. They can provide more resources in the form of webcasts and videos that people can use to train themselves and understand how to use it.

I have been using this solution for 18 months.

It is stable.

It should be scalable. We are a medium-sized enterprise.

I didn't use their support.

Its initial setup was easy.

We did it ourselves.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise others to get into team training. It is not a one-man show. It should be a team exercise.

I would recommend it, but it needs a lot of support. The outcome can be very great, but it needs a lot of support.

I would rate it a six out of 10.