IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Asana OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Asana is #6 ranked solution in top Project Management Software. PeerSpot users give Asana an average rating of 8 out of 10. Asana is most commonly compared to monday.com: Asana vs monday.com. Asana is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 57% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 21% of all views.
Asana Buyer's Guide

Download the Asana Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2022

What is Asana?

Asana is web-based software-as-a-service that helps teams coordinate and manage their work. It helps companies move faster by making sure everyone knows the team’s plan and process and who is doing what by when.

Each user can create projects using a list, board, calendar, or timeline view. Within each project, users can add tasks, subtasks, sections, comments, attachments, start and due dates, and custom fields. Project and task followers get notifications on changes or comments on the project and/or task in their Inbox. Individual users can see all of the tasks they're responsible for across all of their projects in a view called My Tasks.

Asana is available in English, French, Spanish, German, and Portuguese.

Asana Customers

Uber, Vodaphone, NASA, Spotify, Lyft, Baggu, Udacity, Patreon, Flipboard, Dropbox, Intel, Samsung, Airbnb, SFMoma, Hubspot, Trivago

Asana Video

Asana Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Asana pricing:
  • "We're on the business tier, which is $25 a month if you're on an annual contract. It's $31 if you're on a month-to-month contract. In my experience, there are no hidden costs with Asana. I know Smartsheet has these add-ons that you can buy, which is an additional cost, but Asana doesn't have any add-ons that I know of. When you're trying to scale the product and want to add users, you have to do it in buckets of five. This is also something to consider."
  • "It has a free version."
  • "For what it brings to the table, I think Asana is fairly affordable. I would like to see the portfolio feature in our pricing plan, but other than that, it's definitely pretty good."
  • "Its price is fair. Its licensing cost is cheaper than Microsoft Project. I would rate it a two out of five in terms of pricing."
  • Asana Reviews

Ian Herzing - PeerSpot reviewer
    Resource Manager at a non-tech company with 11-50 employees
    Stands out with portfolios, easy setup, and real-time information, but needs big improvement when it comes to workflows, automation, and dashboards
    • "I really enjoy the portfolios in Asana. One of the ways Asana stands out to me is with portfolios. You can have all your different projects, and you can have those assigned to different teams. If you want to customize a grouping of projects, you can use portfolios. For instance, one of the things that we do is we can assign a portfolio to a specific strategic objective we have, and we can put all those projects that are related to that strategic objective in that portfolio. We then know exactly what people are working on to help us achieve our goals. So, I really like portfolios."
    • "Their workflows and automation could use a big improvement. I don't even know if they have anything in that regard right now. I would really love to see a way where you can send custom alerts based on a task's completion or status change or an approval coming through. I would love to see a way to get some low-code functionality into Asana because right now, that is a big miss."

What is our primary use case?

Asana is mainly used for our marketing teams. Anytime a client has a campaign that they want to get out there, whether it's on Facebook, Instagram, or any sort of integrated marketing campaign, we build out a project for it in Asana, and we manage all the logistics of it. Discovery, design, development, and deployment are the main phases that we use to manage projects in Asana. In terms of its version, we are using the business tier.

What is most valuable?

I really enjoy the portfolios in Asana. One of the ways Asana stands out to me is with portfolios. You can have all your different projects, and you can have those assigned to different teams. If you want to customize a grouping of projects, you can use portfolios. For instance, one of the things that we do is we can assign a portfolio to a specific strategic objective we have, and we can put all those projects that are related to that strategic objective in that portfolio. We then know exactly what people are working on to help us achieve our goals. So, I really like portfolios. Another piece that I like is the proofing. I like how you can just click on the image in Asana and attach comments to it, and it'll turn into a task. It just makes the proofing process really intuitive, as opposed to using something like Adobe Acrobat or something like that. One of Asana's differentiators is how easy it is to set up. Another area where Asana is strong is that the information is near real-time, and you don't have to save anything in order for the information to show up. All the information is pretty much real-time. So, if I add a task to somebody's task list, it's going to show up immediately, and they're going to see it. They're going to get a notification about it.

What needs improvement?

Their workflows and automation could use a big improvement. I don't even know if they have anything in that regard right now. I would really love to see a way where you can send custom alerts based on a task's completion or status change or an approval coming through. I would love to see a way to get some low-code functionality into Asana because right now, that is a big miss. On top of that, their dashboards are incredibly lacking. The way the widgets connect to the projects, they don't pull the data in the way that I really want them to. When I build a dashboard in Asana versus Smartsheet, I can't pull in data via a custom text field in Asana, but in Smartsheet, I can. That's a huge advantage because sometimes, you just want to report on really niche tasks or a launch date in a specific project or a collection of projects, and Smartsheet's dashboard features will let you do that, but Asana won't. So, their dashboards are lacking, and the workflows are pretty below where the market is right now.  I would love to see a complete revamp of how they do dashboards right now. Dashboards are really poor. They don't display information well, and they don't look good. They don't pull in data in an advanced search kind of way. They are very simplistic. If you're a traditional project manager and you're PMP certified and you understand project management, you're going to be very frustrated with Asana's dashboards because they do not speak the language of project management. That's because of the way they are set up. So, I would like to see that completely revamped. It's just not an industry standard.

I've been using Asana for four years.
    Asana
    July 2022
    Learn what your peers think about Asana. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2022.
    610,336 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I've had it go down more than Smartsheet, which is one of the two tools that we've used. I've had it go down twice over the past two years. It is not too bad, but it is definitely something to consider. Asana does have a website called Asana Status where you can check the stability of the site. They let you know if they're experiencing any issues. You can get real-time updates on anything that's going on with the site.

We have 60 or 65 licenses. Its scalability is pricey. It is easy to add users. It is quite simple and not complicated, but it is pricey. We're on the business tier, which is $25 a month. Anytime you want to add users to the system, it's going to cost you money if you want to assign them tasks and you want them to be able to operate, comment, and complete things in your system. This is something to definitely consider if you're a lean or a startup organization, and you're trying to be cost-effective. There is just no simple sharing. Smartsheet is very simple with its sharing, whereas, with Asana, you need a license. You also can't just add one user to the system; you have to add a bucket of five. It's definitely worth considering.

We didn't use their technical support, but we did use our customer success manager. Asana's support isn't as robust as other tools or other communities. If I Google a question in regards to Smartsheet, there is a community post about it. Somebody most likely would have answered the question before, whereas Asana just doesn't have the same kind of community. When I do search for a question, normally, the person who responds to the question on the forum is like a sales rep who says, "Hey, thanks for your question. We don't have this feature yet. Please submit a request," which doesn't really help me out.

We had spreadsheets. When you go from Excel or a spreadsheet, anything looks appetizing. All the tools look great because everything is there on the spreadsheet.  The reason why we went for it originally was just that it does task management really well. It's simple. It does task management. It keeps your projects organized in a much cleaner fashion than a spreadsheet. It wasn't hard to stand up. So, the ease of use and the fact that it kept us organized at the time was exactly what we needed. We saw us using Asana, and we knew it was a big market player. We needed something, and at the time, we probably had 20 to 30 people. We might have had just 15 people at the time, and we thought that it is not going to cost us that much. So, we purchased it, but as we scaled, we realized that we needed more complex visualizations for dashboards and reporting in our projects. We realized that Asana wasn't perfect, but we were too deep to make a switch because the switching cost was too high.

This is probably where Asana has its biggest differentiator. It's probably the easiest to set up of all the project management tools that I've used. The draw to it is that people get on a demo with Asana and they find it very easy to use. It's just tasks and assigning people's names to those tasks. If you're an organization that wasn't organized before, you're managing stuff out of spreadsheets and you bump into Asana, you're going to see a big benefit to it.  There are no issues with setting your projects up and getting them in front of people right away. That's another positive feature of Asana.

We likely have seen an ROI in the aggregate, but if we evaluate it in the past three or six months, we haven't got an ROI. We rely on reporting outside of the tool that could be done inside the tool, which adds on a bit of administrative bulk that we don't need. It's also because we're more of a mature organization, and we know exactly what we require out of our project data that we didn't know before. So, in the short term, return on investment hasn't been there. When we were starting out or were a startup, getting out of that startup mentality was a huge return on investment, but nowadays, that might not be the case.

We're on the business tier, which is $25 a month if you're on an annual contract. It's $31 if you're on a month-to-month contract. In my experience, there are no hidden costs with Asana. I know Smartsheet has these add-ons that you can buy, which is an additional cost, but Asana doesn't have any add-ons that I know of.  When you're trying to scale the product and want to add users, you have to do it in buckets of five. This is also something to consider. You can't just add one user to the system; you have to add buckets of five. At least from my knowledge and the annual contract that we have, you had buckets of five, and from there, you got to use them. So, it's definitely worth considering. Asana might have a minimum on some of these tiers for licenses. You probably have to have 15 people at least to get the business tier. On their premium care, you could probably just get three people, but that's a nuance. I really don't remember too well.

What other advice do I have?

If you wanted to use it for the first time, my suggestion would be to consider the kind of projects you are managing. If you are managing marketing projects or events, or you are just trying to coordinate projects that have a quick turnover, and not very long life cycles, then you can evaluate Asana and get a trial going. It'll be good for you. However, if you're managing IT projects or projects with very long life cycles, such as construction or engineering-type projects, Asana definitely isn't a choice for you. Therefore, first and foremost, consider what your projects are about, and if it aligns with short-term marketing projects, you can go ahead and spin up a trial. To have a trial, build out a project yourself and try it out and understand what you like and what you don't like. Of course, it's going to have your task management and your assignee. That's going to be great, but you should also think about the proofing, reporting, and automation that you might want.  I encourage people evaluating project management tools to at least look at three or four tools because they all have got specific nuances that make them a little different, and you might like one nuance over another, but evaluating your project type is the first step. I'm going to rate Asana a six out of ten. Asana is probably going to be more like an eight or a nine for you if you're managing marketing projects, or you're an events coordinator, or you're just trying to get your little startup together where you are a 20-person organization, and you want to organize people and need something that's easy to use. However, if you're someone like myself who's more an advanced project manager, and you're working on tech projects or long-term and more complex projects that have dependencies and require some advanced reporting for your executives to take a look at, then Asana might be a four or a five. Therefore, I'll give it the middle range of a six because it's not a bad tool. It just has to be right for you.

Microsoft Azure
    Isidro Sada - PeerSpot reviewer
    Asana Lead Manager at Izei Consulting Group
    Easy to set up and create rules with helpful technical support
    • "I like how easy it is to use the rules within Asana."
    • "In Asana, there's no way to add a custom date field."

What is our primary use case?

There are two main things I use it for. The first one is lead management and opportunity processing, internally in my organization, project management, and task creation. The second thing I use most is support inside the community of Asana. I'm an ambassador of the Asana community. I also use Asana for this type of support.

How has it helped my organization?

Before Asana, we didn't have a tool to control our leads or our opportunities. It was just by memory. If we were talking with a client, we were just thinking about calling that lead or that client in a day. With Asana, I have my leads more organized. I know when to call. I can go back and see what I said on the last call, or what I emailed the last time we contacted them. It's an easier way to keep up with my prospects and my opportunities.

What is most valuable?

The best feature is how easily you can create rules. You can do it just via point and click. I like how easy it is to use the rules within Asana.

The initial setup was simple.

Asana has a site available where you can check the status and see if it's working or in the middle of downtime still (when downtime happens).

Technical support has been excellent.

What needs improvement?

One of the main things I've been wishing for is an ID, a short ID, just like Jira. That is another tool that I used before. It has an ID for every task in Asana. So it's a short way to know what task are you writing your things on, and it's easier to control your activities.

In Asana, there's no way to add a custom date field. That's another thing.

Both of those functionalities I'm wishing for, or I'm hoping for in the short term.

Occasionally, Asana does go down.

I've been using the solution for less than a year - 11 months or ten months, probably.

Since we've had Asana, we have been down twice for two to three hours each time. Asana provides a website to know the status of Asana in general. It's an easy way to check if Asana is down or not. We know that every tool has these types of failures. We wish we don't have any more failures, however, we may continue to have them. That said, Asana is excellent in how they provide the status of Asana in general.

The ability to scale depends on the implementation within your organization. However, the scalability is there to do it on your own. You can have a thousand employees using Asana. I don't see any problems scaling up using Asana.

Right now, we have about 50 people on the solution. We use it quite extensively.

When we need support, we have a VIP support channel as we are an Asana partner. We have Asana support directly with the Asana support team. We are extremely satisfied with the help we get.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

Besides Asana, we work with Salesforce, Twilio, and Slack. I've used Jira in the past as well.

We did not previously use a project management solution at this company.

I was involved in the initial implementation. It was straightforward. The difficult part of this type of implementation is how you structure your teams and projects within Asana, however, how you use Asana to do this is intuitive. We didn't have any problem with how to accommodate or establish those things. I'd rate the simplicity of the implementation at a four out of five.

The deployment didn't take more than two weeks.

The maintenance is easy. It's very smooth. We do not require a maintenance team, however, we do have team leaders that will do occasional maintenance.

We handled the implementation in-house.

I don't have exact ROI numbers, however, we've seen time investment hours and we know that each hour counts as money. We've seen some return on investment, in time, in productivity. Those two KPIs have seen marked improvements.

What other advice do I have?

We are Asana partners.

I use the most recent version and I use it every day.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten. It's a great way to organize your daily work within your organization. It doesn't matter your team or the department you're working in. It's very flexible.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
    Asana
    July 2022
    610,336 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Immigration Technology Specialist at a legal firm with 501-1,000 employees
    An intuitive and user-friendly solution that provides different types of views and has a good knowledge base and customer support
    • "It is pretty comprehensive when it comes to the different views that it gives you. It gives you a Gantt chart view, calendar view, board view, and list view. It is kind of helpful to have different types of views and see how it views your different tasks. I appreciate being able to do that. The biggest thing is that it is extremely user friendly. Asana is pretty intuitive. Someone who is not tech-savvy can kind of catch on quickly. It is better than other tools like Smartsheet. Some of the other tools like Microsoft Project and Excel are great tools, but you have to invest a lot of time to learn them, which is not the case with Asana."
    • "There could be some improvements in terms of how projects or day-to-day work is organized. One of the challenges when it comes to rolling out to an enterprise is the way the projects are organized. It has a kind of setup where you have different projects and tasks, but it is not as organized as Smartsheet when it comes to organizing projects or different teams. It can get really cluttered really fast. JIRA has another suite to submit the support tickets. It would be good if Asana could branch out to incorporate some kind of workflow. It is great for collaboration and recording work, but there isn't any workflow. It would be useful if they can map out a workflow of who approves what. This is kind of a big ask, and it is not geared towards that."

What is our primary use case?

I use it as a project management tool and as my day-to-day tool to capture and plan out my work.

It has business and professional editions. Currently, I am using the professional edition. I am using the latest version of this solution.

How has it helped my organization?

It has helped our organization. Everyone is kind of using the same software. Instead of having an Excel sheet here or a Word document there to capture work, we have everything in one system.

What is most valuable?

It is pretty comprehensive when it comes to the different views that it gives you. It gives you a Gantt chart view, calendar view, board view, and list view. It is kind of helpful to have different types of views and see how it views your different tasks. I appreciate being able to do that.

The biggest thing is that it is extremely user friendly. Asana is pretty intuitive. Someone who is not tech-savvy can kind of catch on quickly. It is better than other tools like Smartsheet. Some of the other tools like Microsoft Project and Excel are great tools, but you have to invest a lot of time to learn them, which is not the case with Asana.

What needs improvement?

There could be some improvements in terms of how projects or day-to-day work is organized.
    One of the challenges when it comes to rolling out to an enterprise is the way the projects are organized. It has a kind of setup where you have different projects and tasks, but it is not as organized as Smartsheet when it comes to organizing projects or different teams. It can get really cluttered really fast.

JIRA has another suite to submit the support tickets. It would be good if Asana could branch out to incorporate some kind of workflow. It is great for collaboration and recording work, but there isn't any workflow. It would be useful if they can map out a workflow of who approves what. This is kind of a big ask, and it is not geared towards that.

I have been using Asana for the last three months.

It is stable. I don't know about any bugs or issues at the moment.

I have scaled it a little bit, but I haven't scaled it to fit the complete enterprise. I have mostly scaled it for a couple of teams using it. It was easy for small teams, but scaling it when you get to tens of thousands might be a challenge. It is great for small-sized and medium-sized businesses.

Currently, we have just a few users. We have a data scientist, a technologist, and a manager.

They have a really good customer experience team. I would give them a solid ten out of ten. They provide really good tech support, and they are very responsive. They set up a call with you and walk you through it. I appreciate that.

I used Excel. I switched to Asana because it is easier for most people to kind of see it live how the work is progressing. With Excel, you have to save the work, and someone else has to open it up, whereas, with Asana, it is live. That's the major takeaway in terms of capturing work.

The initial setup is straightforward.

It has a free version.

What other advice do I have?

I would suggest looking through their knowledge base. They have a really good knowledge base for different use cases. I would even recommend trying out the trial, which is available for one month. With any tool, you just need to know what your specific needs are.

I would rate Asana an eight out of ten because I'm still learning how to use it. It is not a tool that covers everything. It is good for my purpose, and that right now is just tracking the work and collaborating with other folks.

Co-Founder at KH&Co
    The task hierarchy is amazing We can create a core task for the entire team, but then we can create sub tasks off the core task and assign them to specific people. LOVE THAT
    • "The ability to build subtasks and break things down off of our major tasks has been very valuable. It is very stable and extremely scalable. The initial setup is very simple."
    • "Having a quick way to do video inside the platform or video communication could be very handy."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for project management and communication on projects.

How has it helped my organization?

We're still in the process of learning it, so I can't say that it's improved the organization tremendously yet, but our whole team understands its value and we just need to implement it. The onboarding process has been a little bit slow, just getting everybody to use it and moving away from our old habits.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The world is moving to a lot of video-type communication and having a quick way to do video inside the platform or communicate via video from one person to another could be very handy. In a couple of other platforms, I have looked for a way to communicate with the team with a short 30-second video that I can just click on, record, send, and be done with it.

I don't think it needs additional features as much as having a way to onboard the team and having a better way to get everybody accustomed to using it. That's what we need to figure out. I don't know if that's anything that Asana can do as much as it is just figuring out how to build an implementation plan for the product on our end.

I have been using Asana for about six months.

It is very stable.

I think it's extremely scalable. I'm questioning how I can use archives, how I can resurrect old projects, and how to add on to old projects. Before we can ever get to that level, we have to implement the projects we have. So the long-term roadmap in my mind is: What does it look like if I want to resurrect an old project, add onto it, keep or duplicate it?

Right now, there are only four of us in the company, so we're only implementing the product across the four of us and that's just super, super simple.

It was very simple. By the end of the first day, I had a pretty good grasp on it. I think the rest of the team saw implementing the projects as a little too much work, and I think that was part of what limited our process. Moving from pen and paper, or moving from a whiteboard, into a digital platform involves a shift of mindset and a shift of processes. We didn't do a good transition from old-school processes to new-school digital processes.

For what it brings to the table, I think Asana is fairly affordable. There are some features, such as portfolios, that I would like to see included at the level we're at. I think to pay extra for some of the portfolio features is unrealistic at this point, especially for a small startup company like ours. I would like to see that feature in our pricing plan right now, but other than that, it's definitely pretty good.

I looked at monday.com and at Trello. I looked at several different systems and landed on Asana for project management as we really thought it would bring the best value to our team.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise others looking into Asana to investigate the other platforms, but more than anything to know what they want when they go out and look for a platform. I didn't have well-documented what I really, really wanted, and that required me to chase a lot of rabbit trails and actually test some products, which wasted a lot of my time. If I had down on paper what I really wanted, Asana would have risen to the surface really quickly, but I was not well-prepared for what I was looking for.

As a whole, I would rate Asana as a 8.5 to 9 out of 10.

Private Cloud
    Jovana Pavlovic - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior Back Office Manager at a financial services firm with 51-200 employees
    Great tagging, helps with visibility, and is easy to use
    • "It has helped our departments maintain visibility."
    • "We don't get enough notifications."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Asana to send tasks or tickets to different departments internally, inside the company.

How has it helped my organization?

It has helped our departments maintain visibility. If you're tagged in there, everybody can see it. It's different than emailing and being CC'd. If you have 30 emails before you became CC'd and then you have to go and read through each one of them, scroll down to the end to understand what's going on, it can get messy. Here, everything looks much better and it's much easier to understand what's going on.

What is most valuable?

The visibility is great. The fact that everybody can see all of the tasks, and all of the comments, is super helpful. If you are tagged inside this task, so it's very easy to see. The interface looks really nice and it's really simple to get around and view everything, especially the items directly related to your work. Task management and distribution are awesome.

What needs improvement?

If you are not tagged in the task specifically, even though the task is in your department, you're not going to get notified that there is a new task for your department. You need to constantly have the assignment program open, so you can check in and basically do the tasks that are new, to assign them accordingly.

From my department, if I send a task to a different department unless they open it and tag me personally, I'm not going to see this task anymore. That's a little bit tricky for us. We need that to be changed.

We don't get enough notifications. Everyone has to keep opening up Asana to check and see the tasks. If something isn't tagged, it won't show up in anyone's notifications.

I've been using the solution for three months.

The solution has been quite stable. There aren't bugs or glitches and it doesn't crash or freeze. It is reliable.

We haven't had an issue with scaling per se. However, we would like the visibility to expand beyond our department. There aren't enough notifications and everybody needs to open it up all the time to check tasks.

We have about 100 users on the solution currently. It's used by all departments, including IT, back office, customer support, operations, partner department, management, and compliance.

We switched to Asana from Freshdesk. We also used to use Zendesk for ticketing. In my previous companies, we might have used Skype or Microsoft Teams or just plain email to communicate items to each other.

We used to do emails basically and were CC'ing everyone. Then we went to Freshdesk as a ticketing system. Everybody wants to have Asana for the reporting system. It's much better to use Asana as everybody can see it. The managers and heads of departments can actually see what you're doing, and what each of their team members is doing all of the time.

We used Freshdesk as an email ticketing system, with clients mostly. It was not internal usage. Asana is better for creating tasks and having visibility without having to email people to inform them of tickets.

I wasn't a part of the implementation process.

Our IT team handled the implementation.

What other advice do I have?

I'd recommend the solution to others. It's very useful and the interface is easy to use. As with any program, you need to get used to it, however, and maybe I'm just not used to it yet. Maybe they use notification alarms that I am missing or maybe they can be set. That's the biggest issue for us right now. In any case, the way it's set up, it's really nice. You can mark items as complete and you can mark is in progress. It's simple.

I would rate the product eight out of ten. If the alerts and notifications were better, I would rate it higher.

Manager at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Easy to use and setup with great stability
    • "It's an easy way to communicate."
    • "There just needs to be a bit more direction on how to use it at the outset."

What is our primary use case?

I'm using it for communication with the company that we are reselling for. I'm not the owner of the products. Most of the questions that they're getting from our sales department they have to ask the vendor, so it's a nice way to communicate. It's a very good tool, very nice tool for delivering communications with the company.

What is most valuable?

It's a very useful tool because it's very easy to follow a path and its progress.

It's easy to open and close cases, and get answers. You can put a time limitation when the task must be done or when another person has to respond.

It's perfect because it's online and all the communications I see on most platforms, so it's very nice.

It's an easy way to communicate.

The solution offers fun easter eggs as you work through it.

The product remembers previously asked questions and can direct you back to them.

The solution overall is very easy to use.

It's better than email because email due to the fact that sometimes you can lose some email. This way everything is much more accessible and searchable.

What needs improvement?

You have to understand some basic functions on how to do tasks. For example, I didn't use any help file or helping tool to try to understand better what it could do. It took me, let's say a few trials to find how out how to import somebody on the Cloud. There just needs to be a bit more direction on how to use it at the outset.

A few weeks ago I started to use the Asana project management tool.

The solution is quite a stable product. I haven't faced any issues so far. That said, it's new and I haven't explored everything.

While I assume that the solution can scale well, I am only using it for limited purposes and therefore have never tested its capabilities.

We do plan to continue to use it so long as the company we are working with is using it.

We've never had to reach out to technical support. If we have technical issues, we can just ask our company's IT department.

We didn't previously use a different solution. This is the first product of this nature. What we used that was similar was previously provided by Office 365.

The setup is not complex. It's pretty straightforward. You can also install it on multiple devices. I installed it on my mobile device, and so I'm getting notifications also on the mobile device but mainly I'm using this where we have the Explorer, the web browser.

The installation did not require too many questions. Sometimes though, the system, for the application to sync with the web, takes a moment. However, it's minimal. The installation process was a matter of moments.

We have a free Asana license that covers my work. We don't have any costs associated with it.

What other advice do I have?

The solution is actually something that was recommended by one of our partners. I don't see many of these kinds of OEM products.

I'm using the web application. I'm assuming that it is the latest version.

I didn't upgrade it to the business as I didn't buy the business license.

I would recommend the solution. I'd rate it ten out of ten. I've never used anything quite like it.

HeshamFouad - PeerSpot reviewer
    Quality and Technical Support Department Manager at dsquares
    Makes it easy to implement and monitor plans, and it is easy to install and learn
    • "It is very good for managing the timeline. I'm a quality manager, and I have different testing projects running with different work breakdown structures. Asana makes it very easy to implement and monitor the plans. It is easy to move the tasks and complete them, break them down, and assign them to people."
    • "Auto-shift is an essential feature for planning, but it's currently not there. It should have this feature so that when you move a task that depends on another task, the dates should be auto-shifted. For example, you have two tasks dependent on each other. When the parent task is moved or delayed, the child task should also be delayed, and the date should be shifted. When we have a very long timeline, it's very complex to go task by task and shift the dates on the task. Auto-shift is a fantastic and basic feature of project management, and having such a feature in Asana would make our lives much easier. If Asana added this feature, it would complete the suit and close the project management cycle because currently, there is a gap."

What is our primary use case?

We are using it for managing small and medium projects.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

Auto-shift is an essential feature for planning, but it's currently not there. It should have this feature so that when you move a task that depends on another task, the dates should be auto-shifted. For example, you have two tasks dependent on each other. When the parent task is moved or delayed, the child task should also be delayed, and the date should be shifted. When we have a very long timeline, it's very complex to go task by task and shift the dates on the task. Auto-shift is a fantastic and basic feature of project management, and having such a feature in Asana would make our lives much easier. If Asana added this feature, it would complete the suit and close the project management cycle because currently, there is a gap.

I have been using this solution for a couple of years.

It is good from the stability point of view.

Because of the lack of the auto-shift feature, it is difficult to manage a complex project or complex timeline. For small and medium projects, it's a perfect tool, but for big or complex projects, Microsoft Project is suitable.

We have more than 50 people who use this solution.

I have contacted them many times. I contacted them regarding the auto-shift feature because, in the beginning, I thought it was something I didn't know. I had to integrate Asana with Freshdesk. We got another tool to make the integration happen, and after that, it was very easy to open a task through Asana. Their support was good. I would rate them a four out of five.

I used Microsoft Project. We switched because Asana was way easier. It doesn't have a learning curve like Microsoft Project. It is also cloud-based and cost-effective.

It was very easy. I like it for that reason. There is no learning curve for understanding and enabling the tool.

Its price is fair. Its licensing cost is cheaper than Microsoft Project. I would rate it a two out of five in terms of pricing.

What other advice do I have?

On the technical side, you should be able to learn it quickly. You can watch the videos on the Asana website. On the practical side, you should explore the feature of having custom columns because it's like magic. Being aware of the fact that you can add custom columns in your plan and use them for analysis and managing your project would make your life easier later on. So, at the initiation phase, it's very important to know that you have this capability.

I would rate it an eight out of ten. It is a very good tool. It is very easy to install and easy to learn, but if you have complex and big projects, you would have problems. If they add the auto-shift feature in future releases, my opinion will change, but currently, I would rate it an eight out of ten.

Gordon E Braun-Woodbury - PeerSpot reviewer
    Marketing Operations practice leader at Calibrate Legal, inc.
    Reliable, simple to set up, and effective task management
    • "The ability to share projects and tasks among team members appears to be the most valuable feature."
    • "For large teams, scalability should be improved."

What is our primary use case?

Our marketing team has four people who use it exclusively for marketing projects.

There is one super-user/administrator who is a marketing coordinator and is in charge of setting up projects and assigning tasks. The rest of us operate within the framework she has established.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

For large teams, scalability should be improved.

I used it on a client engagement three years ago, and have recently adopted it for our internal project. I've been using it again for two months.

We haven't seen any issues with the stability of Asana. It has been working, and everything is fine.

I am not sure about the scalability of Asana.

If I were to scale it, I believe it is more of a team solution for a small team or an individual.

I don't see it as something that you would want to apply to a large team within an enterprise.

It appears to be best suited for a small or, medium-sized team.

Some organizations use it more widely, but I am not sure how that would work.

This solution is used by our marketing team.

I have not contacted technical support. I haven't had to deal with them.

This solution is great. I have tried a few other work management, and project management solutions and this one is the best for my requirements.

The initial setup was completely straightforward, and simple.

We had no trouble understanding the functionality or configuring it to meet our needs. It has been a very positive experience.

The deployment is extremely easy. We are releasing it to people as they come on board, and they are adapting to it very well.

The administrator is in charge of deploying and maintaining the solution, as well as keeping it up to date.

I wasn't involved in the acquisition. I am not aware of any pricing details.

What other advice do I have?

The key to successfully utilizing this project management tool is to be very clear about how it is set up, to have someone in charge of creating projects to avoid duplication and to have some ground rules around the configuration. Otherwise, it could inevitably turn into a bunch of individual task lists. There are many individual to-do list apps available, as such you don't need an app like this for that.

It all comes down to being very clear. This is a project collaboration app for teams, and for a team to collaborate on a project, there must be general agreement on what the project is, what the stages are, what the deliverables are, and so on.

I'm still exploring how to use it properly. I'm not the best person to inquire about new features, but it's very impressive, and I'm discovering a lot of great features and capabilities as I use it.

I would rate Asana a nine out of ten.

Download our free Asana Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: July 2022