IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Zscaler Cloud Firewall OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Zscaler Cloud Firewall is #24 ranked solution in best firewalls. PeerSpot users give Zscaler Cloud Firewall an average rating of 7.8 out of 10. Zscaler Cloud Firewall is most commonly compared to Fortinet FortiGate: Zscaler Cloud Firewall vs Fortinet FortiGate. Zscaler Cloud Firewall is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 63% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 22% of all views.
Zscaler Cloud Firewall Buyer's Guide

Download the Zscaler Cloud Firewall Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2022

What is Zscaler Cloud Firewall?

Zscaler enables the world’s leading organizations to securely transform their networks and applications for a mobile and cloud first world. Its flagship services, Zscaler Internet Access and Zscaler Private Access, create fast, secure connections between users and applications, regardless of device, location, or network. Zscaler services are 100% cloud-delivered and offer the simplicity, enhanced security, and improved user experience that traditional appliances or hybrid solutions are unable to match. Used in more than 185 countries, Zscaler operates the world’s largest cloud security platform, protecting thousands of enterprises and government agencies from cyberattacks and data loss.

Check more details: https://www.zscaler.com/produc...

Zscaler Cloud Firewall Customers

Zenith Live, Azure, Carlsberg Group

Zscaler Cloud Firewall Video

Zscaler Cloud Firewall Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Zscaler Cloud Firewall pricing:
  • "The licensing is on a yearly basis. It is somewhere around 30 or 40 pounds per user for our organization."
  • "There are different subscription models available."
  • "Zscaler is priced too high compared to the cost of Fortinet."
  • "There are licensing costs, and I would not say that it's a cheap vendor."
  • "There is an annual license required for the use of the Zscaler Cloud Firewall."
  • Zscaler Cloud Firewall Reviews

Tejas Jain - PeerSpot reviewer
    Specialist Master - Infrastructure and Cloud Architect - Manager at Deloitte
    Flexible licensing with good performance and support
    • "Most of the features that Zscaler has to offer, we will deploy."
    • "It would be nice to have some sort of a form factor, a physical form factor perhaps, or virtual machine that you could install on devices or on a cloud, and have some cloud computing."

What is our primary use case?

It's on the customers' premises. I've designed and supported several client projects and this is definitely for customers, for enterprise networks.

What is most valuable?

I've leveraged heavily the web proxy solution.

The secure web gateway, the web firewall is great.

CASB Enterprise DLP, the network DLP solution, is useful.

Most of the features that Zscaler has to offer, we will deploy.

We are functioning fairly well with Zscaler Internet Access. With regards to scale, with regards to performance, the end-user performance and resiliency are good.

The initial setup is easy.

What needs improvement?

I don't see any other improvements required with regards to the use cases that we have. I think they are good for now. I have no complaints.

It would be nice to have some sort of a form factor, a physical form factor perhaps, or virtual machine that you could install on devices or on a cloud, and have some cloud computing. That provides the segmentation capabilities within the environment itself, instead of going all the way to Zscaler cloud and then coming back and get all the inspection capabilities. That's definitely one thing that I would want Zscaler to explore. That would serve 100% of use cases that I look for as an architect.

I've used the solution for four to four and a half years.

Zscaler Cloud Firewall
    July 2022
    Learn what your peers think about Zscaler Cloud Firewall. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2022.
    622,063 professionals have used our research since 2012.

We never face any problems. Like most products, it does have its hiccups. Sometimes we face some performance issues, however, nothing critical. The problems are kind of the things that we usually face with most of the cloud-managed providers. Mostly, it's fine.

The solution is absolutely scalable. Every single time we have a new footprint in a different geography, they are doing great, and I've never faced any challenges even in China, which is the bone of contention for most providers. They're certainly scalable. There are not any delays in regards to upscaling them. We are good there.

We are leveraging professional services and advanced tech support. The response time is great - at least during business hours. During holidays, sometimes we do face some problems, however, that is acceptable and we tend to work during the standard market business hours. Any gaps in the support during off business hours, they're able to handle business outages or critical issues.

I work on various firewalls, Palo Alto being the closest that I can think of with regards to having parallel features. I use it as kind of an in-series. It's not either/or. It's both of them. For all the traffic that is non-web or non-FTP, that's inspected by Palo Alto. The rest, everything else, goes by proxy.

If I'm looking for a cloud-managed service, a cloud-managed firewall, something like a McAfee solution, Palo Alto is the close competitor that I would rate with Zscaler. With regards to cloud web proxy, I don't see any other competitor which does better than Zscaler.

The initial setup is fairly easy. We've never faced any problems there. We deployed it for both on-premises and a couple of our cloud infrastructure setups. It's a piece of cake.

We had to deploy the back files so we push backfiles to CCM and Intune. With regards to the agents, that was fairly seamless. We set up about 20,000 users and had them up and running within close to two weeks - three days for the actual implementation and deployment. It was fairly seamless.

I haven't handled much of the procurement side of things. My understanding, however, is that it's fairly cost-effective. With regards to the kind of support that they offer, it's fairly justified. It's additive pricing. If you don't want to subscribe to a single service, you can, of course, skip it. It's fairly flexible.

What other advice do I have?

The use cases need to be fairly solid if you're looking for Zscaler. Zscaler doesn't do intra site segmentation, therefore, if you want a segmentation within a branch office, that kind of traffic flow, that is not well addressed. That said, that's due to the fact that Zscaler isn't targeting itself to address that kind of issue. That's where you require traditional or the NextGen firewalls on devices. With regards to the cloud-first model, of course, there is absolutely no gap with regards to Zscaler. It would largely depend on the use cases, the kind of business that you are deploying the solution for if this solution is right for you.

With regards to ease, with regards to scalability, with regards to performance and support, those are the kind of top features that I would always look at and I have had a great experience in general.

I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten.

Chief Executive Officer at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
    Scalable, very easy to use, and offers a full suite of security features
    • "The initial setup is straightforward."
    • "The product could improve its integration with some legacy systems."

What is our primary use case?

The product is an easy solution to replace on-prem firewalls and VPNs and provide security for any device from anywhere - whether a user is at home or on a corporate network.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution has been very useful as it enables us to work from any place as if we were connected to the corporate network. We don't have to be in the office to take advantage of its features.

What is most valuable?

The solution's overall simplicity is excellent. It's a great selling feature.

Users are offered protection from anywhere on any device, with a full set of security features including firewall, IPS, web security, CASB, and DLP. The solution is quite broad in its offering and covers a lot of ground security-wise.

The initial setup is straightforward.

Overall, the solution offers excellent stability.

Technical support has been very good.

We've found the scalability to be excellent.

What needs improvement?

The product could improve its integration with some legacy systems.

The solution could offer more simplicity on deployment so that it's not quite so complex sometimes.

The solution could benefit from more CASBs - cloud access security brokers.

I've been using the solution for ten or more years at this point. It's been a decade or more. I've used it for a while.

The solution is very, very stable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's been very good overall. I find it reliable in terms of performance.

We have got 40,000 users on this platform. They are from various companies. Some are small, others are quite sizable. It's a solution that can work with a wide range of companies. The product, in general, has scaled well for companies. If an organization needs to expand it, it can do so.

Technical support is very good. We're quite satisfied with the level of service. They are knowledgeable and responsive.

We did use a different solution previously.

We switched as we had an appliance with end-of-life issues. We needed something that could work without the limitation of physical devices.

The initial setup is fairly easy. It's not overly complex, although the deployment itself can be.

The process requires some planning in advance to integrate with multiple systems, such as firewalls. If the advanced work is done, the rest of the process happens very quickly.

We are consultants. We use it, however, we also provide services. If a client needs help with the implementation we can assist.

What other advice do I have?

We are partners with Zscaler.

I'd recommend the solution to other solutions. I would suggest they try it. It's simple to use and the costs aren't so high.

I would rate the solution at a nine out of ten. Overall, we have been very happy with the product.

Zscaler Cloud Firewall
    July 2022
    622,063 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Product Manager (Zscaler) at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
    Secure, feature-rich, and helps to reduce downtime
    • "It helps a lot of companies to reduce their downtime. Also, It helps businesses in terms of being secured and protected from any threats."
    • "Certain criteria need to be met if you want to scale this solution."

What is our primary use case?

We are a distributor and Zscaler is one of the vendors that we work with. We sell the Cloud Firewall product to IT companies.

Our customers use this product for remote access, VPN, and security for Office 365. There is also integration available for protecting SD-WAN networks.

How has it helped my organization?

This product has a lot of features and which ones are used will depend on what a customer wants to do. For example, if the customer plans that they want to go into the cloud, or they are in a digital transformation journey, then they should look at Zscaler cloud solutions.

It helps a lot of companies to reduce their downtime. Also, It helps businesses in terms of being secured and protected from any threats.

What is most valuable?

As a product that is 100% cloud-based, there is no hardware or software to invest in. This means that it's an operational cost model, rather than a capital investment. Having an OpEx cost is something that has really helped our customers and their partners because it saves them money for any capital investment.

In the age of digitalization, a lot of companies do mergers and acquisitions. With Zscaler solutions, you can manage the users of two different companies. For example, if company A and company B do a merger tomorrow, Zscaler have a solution that enables both companies or organization users to work, using the same security policies and administration. This is a unique feature, as none of the other security vendors provides such capabilities that can be enabled or implemented quickly.

What needs improvement?

Certain criteria need to be met if you want to scale this solution.

I have been working with the Zscaler Cloud Firewall for approximately four months.

This is a stable product. Zscaler has been a Gartner Magic Quadrant leader for the last 10 years.

This is a scalable Firewall but like any other security product, there are certain criteria for it to scale. It depends on the number of users and what the customer wants to achieve.

There are different subscription models available.

What other advice do I have?

Zscaler is one of the leading vendors in the cloud space. My advice for anyone who is looking to go on a cloud journey or is in the transition of moving their business from on-premises data centers to AWS, or any cloud platform, is that Zscaler is a great product to have in the organization. It helps lots of our customers.

Zscaler provides people with security and they don't need to have a VPN connection. Essentially, it provides more access and provides a secure connection to the business applications in the cloud.

With Zscaler, there are no major versions with different flavors. It's as if you're buying a Mercedes car. You choose your model, then ask for add-ons. it's still the same base product that we discussed.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

Bhaskar Rao - PeerSpot reviewer
    Sr. Network Administrator at Yamaha
    Is good for standard cloud-based access but needs to improve geographic IP address mapping
    • "The scalability is okay. We have around 2200 people using this solution."
    • "We are having some issues with internet access being denied when organizational ID-based policies change. For example, a lower level employee ends up getting the same level of access as that of a higher level employee."

What is most valuable?

We like URL filtering, category filtering, and content filtering.

What needs improvement?

We are having some issues with internet access being denied when organizational ID-based policies change. For example, a lower level employee ends up getting the same level of access as that of a higher level employee.

What happens is that the organization ID does not match the one we allowed in Zscaler. As a result, we have to allow each organization ID one at a time in the Zscaler Portal.

There are also problems with the mapping of the geographic location of an IP address. For example, the IP address might be in India, but the geographical location may be mapped to a US location.

In the next release, I would like to see user-based access. I would like to be able to create user-based policies so that the user can be placed in the correct AD group and get access easily.

We started using it last November. We have now finished implementing it and are in the process of fine-tuning it.

We use it in our company and have customers who use it as well.

The product is stable, but if you compare the hardware appliance to the cloud solution, the performance is decreased with the cloud level access.

The scalability is okay. We have around 2200 people using this solution.

Technical support is okay.

The initial setup is easy. We have four people for the maintenance of the solution.

Zscaler is priced too high compared to the cost of Fortinet.

We previously used Fortinet. It has many features and an unlimited license. However, Zscaler has license limitation, as in, user-based licenses. Fortinet provides many features that are included.

Cost comparison wise, Zscaler is priced too high compared to the cost of Fortinet. My experience with Fortinet is good, but as per the standard cloud-based policies and cloud-based access, Zscaler is good as well.

What other advice do I have?

Zscaler recently came on the market and is at the improvement stage right now. Maybe, after two or three years Zscaler will be very good, and I'd be able to recommend it to the user.

Zscaler Cloud Firewall is good but not very good, so I would rate it at seven on a scale from one to ten.

Paresh Makwana - PeerSpot reviewer
    Director at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
    Reseller
    Great security with stable function; advanced tech protection is winning feature

What is our primary use case?

This solution is in the cloud firewall where you just divert your router into the IP address and it goes to the Zscaler Cloud. Our current customer is a major financial institution and the solution is being used as general insurance for the company. Everyone is using the second generation VPN of Zscaler. There are 11 people in our company using the solution and our current customer has around 15,000 users, all using the product on a daily basis. We are customers and resellers of ZScaler and I'm a director of our company.

What is most valuable?

I like the advanced tech protection Cloud Sandbox, it's a nice feature. Then there's the DLP, Data Leak Prevention, and the Cloud Application Control which are also good features.

What needs improvement?

Currently, the Data Leak Prevention is only for web filtering and there is nothing for email and the USB, so it would be an improvement if that could be included.

I've been using this solution for over three years.

This is a stable product.

Our current customer has 10,000 users so the scalability is good.

Our technical support is mainly in-house. If we need second-level support we'll turn to Zscaler. The support from them is fast and smooth.

The initial setup is very straightforward, you need to put an agent into your machine and it goes directly to the cloud. If you have 500 users, setup can take about a week. For 10,000, it takes about a month. Generally, though, the setup will happen in one or two days and then it's just rolled out onto the machines. There are usually some technical errors here and there which can slow things down a little but otherwise it's easy implementation and not very time consuming. Our company does the implementation and we have support from Zscaler.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a nine out of 10.

Private Cloud

Other
    IT Security Manager at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
    A next-generation firewall that's easy to deploy and use, but it could be cheaper
    • "I like the ease of deployment and its flexibility. We don't need to deal with license, quotes, procurement, delivery, and installation. Everything is software-based, and it's very easy to operate."
    • "It would be better if they improved their policy, package visibility, and flexibility while we're creating rules for inspection. It could also be cheaper or more things could be included in the basic package. In the next release, I would like better coverage in the Asia Pacific region and better quality of service."

What is our primary use case?

We use Zscaler Cloud Firewall to enable quick and secure internet access for branch offices, small offices, and retail stores. It's very convenient for deployment.

What is most valuable?

I like the ease of deployment and its flexibility. We don't need to deal with license, quotes, procurement, delivery, and installation. Everything is software-based, and it's very easy to operate.

What needs improvement?

It would be better if they improved their policy, package visibility, and flexibility while we're creating rules for inspection. It could also be cheaper or more things could be included in the basic package. In the next release, I would like better coverage in the Asia Pacific region and better quality of service.

I have been using Zscaler Cloud Firewall for about two years.

Zscaler Cloud Firewall is a stable solution.

Zscaler Cloud Firewall is a scalable solution. We currently have 12 to 15 people using this solution.

The initial setup is super easy.

I implemented this solution. There's nothing really outstanding, and it's very easy.

There are licensing costs, and I would not say that it's a cheap vendor.

What other advice do I have?

In general, I would recommend this product to new users. But I would say that they should carefully evaluate it with the business needs of a specific customer. However, in general, it's a leader in this area, and it's definitely worth their consideration.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Zscaler Cloud Firewall a seven.

Implementation Engineer at a tech vendor with 201-500 employees
    Stable, scalable, but better automatic blocking needed
    • "The solution is scalable."
    • "There are some areas it could improve when it comes to blocking, we have to block some things manually. For example, if we block a top-level domain we have seen that the new IPs come through, the IPs are not blocked. There should be some more granular way of doing it. My only request is if you're blocking something at a top level, the sub-level sub-domains and all those other IPs should be blocked too automatically."

What is our primary use case?

Zscaler Cloud Firewall can be used for many purposes. It can be used for blocking, such as all the malicious IPs, unauthorized IPS, unauthorized sites, and unsanctioned sites. For example, many users use PDF converters, they can upload confidential data to it, we can detect it, and we can block them.

What needs improvement?

I have been using Zscaler Cloud Firewall for approximately two years.

I have found the Zscaler Cloud Firewall stable.

The solution is scalable.

The support is helpful from Zscaler Cloud Firewall.

There is an annual license required for the use of the Zscaler Cloud Firewall.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others.

I rate Zscaler Cloud Firewall a seven out of ten.

Download our free Zscaler Cloud Firewall Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: July 2022