IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

WhatsUp Gold OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

WhatsUp Gold is #20 ranked solution in Infrastructure Monitoring tools and #21 ranked solution in best Network Monitoring Tools. PeerSpot users give WhatsUp Gold an average rating of 8 out of 10. WhatsUp Gold is most commonly compared to SolarWinds NPM: WhatsUp Gold vs SolarWinds NPM. WhatsUp Gold is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 62% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 23% of all views.

Download the Network Monitoring Software Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2022

What is WhatsUp Gold?
Ipswitch WhatsUp Gold's a layer 2/3 discovery results in a detailed interactive map of your entire networked infrastructure. One affordable license lets you monitor any mix of networks, wireless controllers, servers, virtual machines, applications, traffic flows and configurations across Windows, LAMP and Java environments. It Manage networks, traffic, physical servers, VMs and applications with easy-to-use and customizable maps, dashboards and alerts. WhatsUp Gold streamlines workflows by letting you initiate management tasks directly from the interactive map. Additional Features include: Application Monitoring, Network Traffic Analysis, Configuration Management, Discovery & Network Monitoring, Cloud Monitoring, Virtual Environment Monitoring, Distributed Monitoring and Failover Manager.
WhatsUp Gold Customers

Artoni Trasporti, Austin Independent School District, Banca Marche, Burke County North Carolina, Cambridge University School of Clinical Medicine, Clayco, Community Integrated Care, Desca, Deutsche Bergbau, Flexi-Van, Gropper, Hamleys, Hammonds Furniture, Knowledge IT, Idras S.P.A., Sibeg, Swann Engineering, Trivium Lindenhof

WhatsUp Gold Video

WhatsUp Gold Pricing Advice

What users are saying about WhatsUp Gold pricing:
  • "The price of WhatsUp Gold is good."
  • "This is a well priced solution."
  • "It is per device, per year. The pricing is very clear. If you have a service agreement, you get all of your major upgrades and minor upgrades. It was under $10,000 to go all-in with all of the different add-ons for it."
  • "The most valuable feature is the cost compared to other solutions."
  • WhatsUp Gold Reviews

IT Senior Systems Administrator at a tech consulting company with 501-1,000 employees
    Old, clunky, and with unresponsive support, this product touches the basics but not in style
    • "It handles the basics of monitoring."
    • "It is stable."
    • "The product is old and not updated."
    • "The interface needs some work."
    • "The technical support does not bother to respond."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is just for monitoring the host servers, the virtual machines, the network equipment, and the storage. It covers all the basics.

What is most valuable?

Probably the only sorta valuable part of the product is that it is stable, easy to work with, and covers the basics. But there is a lot more downside to it in my opinion than up.

What needs improvement?

Honestly, I do not particularly like WhatsUp Gold. I think we should get rid of it. It is so old. It has not been upgraded in about six years. The interface looks like something from the nineties.   I am quite used to using the Paessler AG product. That is PRTG (Paessler Router Traffic Grapher) and the two have little in comparison. It could be improved by being more like PRTG.   If WhatsUp were going to work on updating the product, I would like to see some improvements in the interface. The dashboards could be a lot better.

The company that I work for has been using WhatsUp Gold quite a lot more for the past few years but they have had it as a solution for the past 10 years. I have only been in the company for about six or seven months.
    Network Monitoring Software
    June 2022
    Find out what your peers are saying about Progress Software, SolarWinds, Paessler AG and others in Network Monitoring Software. Updated: June 2022.
    607,127 professionals have used our research since 2012.

One thing good about WhatsUp Gold is that it is fairly stable.

We have got about five or six people working with it right now. Their roles are mostly system administrative staff. It is used daily in our current situation.

When I first started, I did contact the technical support team to see whether I could get the new version of the product, but no one ever even bothered to reply. So obviously the technical support could be also improved.

I have used a few of the different monitoring solutions at different companies. PA Server Monitor was one that I used and that was by Power Admin. I used to work with PRTG (by Paessler AG). It is quite a good product. Spiceworks is another one I used.  If we are talking about a comparison between the ones I have already used and WhatsUp Gold, PRTG is a better product. It is the best one I have used out of all of them. I would be interested in moving to that instead of WhatsUp Gold.

I have got a few virtual machines on it that I use myself. It is not a very complicated product. It is a bit clunky and takes more steps than it should do, but it is not difficult to set up and use.  It takes approximately 10 minutes to set up. It does not require a lot of maintenance. It has been on-premises so it is not exposed to the internet and because of that it is not much of a risk. But maintaining it is just a long way down the priority line at the moment.

What other advice do I have?

I would not recommend WhatsUp Gold to people who were considering it as a solution. On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate WhatsUp Gold as a four or five. Really, it is a four-out-of-ten.

Yevhen Ikonnykov - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior Software Engineer at a aerospace/defense firm with 501-1,000 employees
    Feature-rich with a good user interface
    • "The user interface is good enough."
    • "We can never achieve or get a good picture of the network topology."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for network discovery. It is just one of the features it provides, but it's basically the only feature we use.

What is most valuable?

I haven't explored all of the features.

The user interface is good enough.

What needs improvement?

We use it for network discovery but it's not really good enough. We can never achieve or get a good picture of the network topology.

There are inconsistencies in advertisement and how much it can do in network discovery. It doesn't do what it indicates it will do. I would like a deeper description of the solution and how they achieve it.

What is advertisement phrases is not reality and we cannot achieve it.

We need more customization. It's all about customization.

I would like to see more features that clearly describe how they are going to discover a node on the network.

Also, we would like to know the probabilistic information. For example, to know that the methods, in general, allow discovery of up to some percentage of nodes. We used different settings from what they provide, but we were never close to getting a network topology that we expected to get.

It would be nice to have the ability to identify devices with multiple network interfaces.

I have been using WhatsUp Gold for the last year.

We are using version 19.2.0.

It's a stable solution.

We have not explored the scalability as we don't need it.

We have approximately five users.

We don't have plans to increase usage.

We have a paid version of this solution but have never contacted technical support. We haven't needed to.

I was not involved with the initial setup. It was done by my colleague and he never complained that it was difficult.

I don't have information on the pricing. I know that it's a paid version, but I don't have any details.

What other advice do I have?

The decision on whether we will continue to use this solution or not is up to our manager, but in terms of projects, I don't think that we will continue to use this solution. It will be dropped.

I would rate WhatsUp Gold an eight out of ten.

Network Monitoring Software
    June 2022
    607,127 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    ASM Naushad Alam - PeerSpot reviewer
    Network Manager at United Commercial Bank Limited
    Valuable server health information, high availability, and Windows based

What is our primary use case?

We are using WhatsUp Gold to monitor cyber files and their conditions. We are looking at the thresholds of the hard disk capacity and if it reaches a certain high capacity the solution will notify us through e-mail. We have a network of approximately 1,500 devices and we can have visibility of all our equipment.

What is most valuable?

The most important features of WhatsUp Gold are the server health and uptime it provides. Additionally, WhatsUp Gold is a Windows-based solution which is a benefit.

I have been using WhatsUp Gold for approximately 10 years.

WhatsUp Gold is a stable solution.

I have found WhatsUp Gold to be scalable.

We have approximately 3,000 devices using this solution.

There is a very big gap in the support. We purchase WhatsUp Gold in 2012, then we migrated one time in 2017. But only two companies in our country are partners of WhatsUp Gold. There are no certified engineers available in our country for WhatsUp Gold.

We don't have any option to contact WhatsUp Gold support. With other solutions, such as Cisco we are able to open up a ticket with their support and receive help, but it is not the case with WhatsUp Gold.

The initial setup of WhatsUp Gold is a medium range of difficulty levels. However, if it is your first time it could be difficult.

The price of WhatsUp Gold is good.

What other advice do I have?

I rate WhatsUp Gold an eight out of ten.

Rahul Soman - PeerSpot reviewer
    IT Infrastructure Specialist at Dynatrade LLC
    Log management system used to monitor internal systems and pull reports based on specific criteria
    • "NetFlow monitoring, real-time monitoring, and surveys have been the most valuable features for our business."
    • "The point system is not clear and clarity around this would improve our understanding of the system."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to monitor our networks. We pull reports based on thresholds and criteria that we set.

What needs improvement?

In a future release, we would like our SAP-related applications to be monitored under a single dashboard.

We have used this solution for more than five years.

This is a stable solution.

This is a scalable solution.

The support for this solution is good. I would rate it a four out of five.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

The initial setup is straightforward.

There are no hidden fees. Licenses are perpetual and auto-renew but support for this solution requires renewal each year.

What other advice do I have?

This product has aided us in procurement and is overall a well-priced solution. My personal recommendation in terms of solutions would be to use ManageEngine because it's easy to use. WhatsUp Gold and SolarWinds require a more technical skillset.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Security Operations Specialist III at a pharma/biotech company with 201-500 employees
    Good support and stability, easy to deploy, and helpful for looking for rogue devices on your network

What is our primary use case?

We are using it to make sure that devices, services, and network paths are available.

What is most valuable?

Auto scanning is most valuable. It looks for rogue devices on your network.

What needs improvement?

The new release cadence needs to be improved. It takes a while for them to add new features and functionality. There should be a quicker turnaround with new versions.

I've been dealing with it for 22 years.

It is very stable.

It is made for small and medium businesses. It does have a scalability problem with using it in enterprise situations.

Their tech support is very good.

It is very straightforward. You just put in credentials, and it goes out and does its thing. It is very easy to use, especially when you have few employees.

What other advice do I have?

I would give it an eight out of 10.

MarceloPrintac - PeerSpot reviewer
    VP Business Development at MultiPoint Ltd.
    Stable, easy to deploy, and competitively priced

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the cost compared to other solutions.

I've been working with this solution for more than three years.

I haven't had any problems with this solution's stability.

The technical support is good.

WhatsUp Gold is very easy to deploy.

What other advice do I have?

You have to invest a few days to become an expert in this solution, but after that, it's possible to do almost anything with it. I'd rate this solution as eight out of ten.

Download our free Network Monitoring Software Report and find out what your peers are saying about Progress Software, SolarWinds, Paessler AG, and more!
    Updated: June 2022