Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

VMware Workstation OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

VMware Workstation is #3 ranked solution in top Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI) tools. PeerSpot users give VMware Workstation an average rating of 8.8 out of 10. VMware Workstation is most commonly compared to VMware vSphere: VMware Workstation vs VMware vSphere. VMware Workstation is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 59% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 19% of all views.
VMware Workstation Buyer's Guide

Download the VMware Workstation Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is VMware Workstation?
VMware Workstation transforms the way technical professionals develop, test, demonstrate and deploy software by running multiple x86-based operating systems simultaneously on the same PC. Built on 15 years of virtualization excellence and winner of more than 50 industry awards, VMware Workstation takes desktop virtualization to the next level by giving users an unmatched operating system support, rich user experience and incredible performance.
VMware Workstation Customers
Akademiska Hus
VMware Workstation Video

VMware Workstation Pricing Advice

What users are saying about VMware Workstation pricing:
  • "The licensing costs are cheap. I pay approximately $100 per year."
  • "With a VDI solution, there is always extra cost running a VDI solution but it's not for cost purposes anymore. In the beginning, it was to save money on hardware but at the moment it's other aspects that are more important why you should use a VDI solution."
  • "VMware Workstation has a high price than competitors in the market."
  • "Licensing costs are paid on a yearly basis."
  • "The cost differs depending on the customer's requirement."
  • VMware Workstation Reviews

Chief Technical Officer at a construction company with 51-200 employees
    Easy to use, powerful virtualization capabilities, and good performance
    • "We are able to simultaneously run multiple operating systems in a single machine and have virtually no performance hit."
    • "The interface is a little wonky and needs to be improved."

What is our primary use case?

I am a system integrator and have experience with many different IT products. I regularly work with a lot of different technologies. Recently, I have been working on configuring VMware and virtualization. For example, I am considering upgrading the ESXi.

We run VMware Workstation locally. You can run it on AWS but that's not necessary for what we're doing. There are use cases where it will be applicable but I'm dealing with a construction company, as opposed to a heavily vested IT company. The use cases are quite a bit more laid back.

We primarily use it for virtualization. We image older systems, so we have a backup copy that's immediately accessible. Those are the major use cases.

How has it helped my organization?

Virtualization is awesome when you're running particular applications and you need to cookie-cutter them, which is what I'm doing. I've got the mining rig pre-built, and I just clone it, set the number of CPUs, and let it run. It can't get easier than that.

I would prefer running off of virtualization for everybody's computer. I would just load the images in them if I could, but that would be asking too much of the consumers, so I don't do stuff like that.

What is most valuable?

Having a user-friendly interface is important for me. I'm not a coder, even though I do a little bit of programming. Also, I don't use the command-line interface when I can avoid it. When I do have to use it, I look up what I'm supposed to type and then type it.

Virtualization in and of itself is the use case feature. We are able to simultaneously run multiple operating systems in a single machine and have virtually no performance hit. I've got 16 cores and 32 threads, so nobody cares if I use 24 of them for mining and use the rest of them for my desktop. It's basically like having a free computer. With all of the resources already paid for and running, why wouldn't you virtualize when you have that many cores? It doesn't make sense not to.

If you've only got four cores, then I would understand if you don't want to virtualize for that purpose. But if you do, why wouldn't you virtualize and have an unRAID server and a video-optimized system, and another one for something else? It just depends on what suit you want to wear that day.

Technical support is an area that needs improvement.

What needs improvement?

The interface is a little wonky and needs to be improved. Honestly, the biggest problem with VMware is not with their interface, as much as their support for the interface.

In order for a virtual machine to run on your system, you have to set the hardware up correctly. If it's an AMD, you need to have virtualization enabled on the CPU. That means going into the BIOS and making sure that your VX is set if it's Intel, or an AMDV is enabled. But, you don't actually find that on an AMD. Rather, you have to go to the SPV and check the box that's there. It would behoove VMware as a company to have better documentation that shows people how to do all of this setup.

It wasn't too big of a deal for me to figure it out because I've been working with it, but I could imagine that someone who's not familiar with the BIOS and not familiar with SPV could get into a lot of trouble just to set it up for virtualization. That's unfortunate. I'm not saying they should make the interface overly simple to use. I'm just saying that they should make their documentation easy to access for the stuff that you need. Specifically, if you're in an area of the application, it should have an information link that goes into detail and sub-detail at that point. That would be good.

I understand the segmentation of different markets that they're trying to achieve in terms of sales, but it would be really nice if they just enabled you to scale. You're limited to a certain number of threads as it is now. It might be 32 threads or 32 CPUs max on VMware Workstation. ESXi can go to 128 or even 700-and-something if you scale it up to vSphere. However, it would be nice if someone purchased VMware and then was able to add those feature sets onto it. That's how their software's actually built. It's all VMware Workstation, yet depending on the configuration and how much you pay, some can allocate 738 CPUs and other ones can only do 32.

VMware Workstation
    September 2022
    Learn what your peers think about VMware Workstation. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2022.
    632,611 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I have been working with VMware Workstation for 15 years.

They're very stable. VMware is remarkable in this regard. Given how well it works, I think that it's insane that people are doing it any other way.

I ran a miner in Windows directly, and it would occupy all of the cores and slow down the computer and cause a ton of problems. Interestingly, it wouldn't yield as much as this virtualized Linux system would in Windows, on the same machine.

I'm not sure how it makes sense that a virtualized machine inside Windows works better than something where you eliminate the middle man and you just run it in Windows, but that's exactly the case.

When you run these virtualized systems, they're running on bare iron, pretty much. They may be in Windows, and Windows might be using other stuff, but they're going to the CPU and saying, "This one, this one, this one, this one is mine," and it just runs.

This means that you get all of the performance advantages of Linux, and none of the overhead of Microsoft spying on you. This is why I think that building every computer out there as a baseline virtualized machine makes a lot more sense. You just press a button on your keyboard, and there's your Windows. Press another one, there's your Mac. Press another one, there's your Linux. Have them all be able to swap files back and forth, and everybody could be having the best of all possible worlds for whatever kind of system they want. Ultimately, Linux would grow and win out.

However, as it is, you give them a bunch of money and they tend to develop theirs a little faster. Linux may be the best system in terms of efficiencies because it's monetized to do so. All of those companies with all Linux servers know that by cutting away the fat, they make the thing work better and they earn more money with the hardware they've spent so much money on. That's the financial incentive.

The technical support is good, although it could be better.

I would rate them a three out of five.

I have experience with some similar products. For example, Cisco has one that you can use for free. VMware is what I've been primarily using for the past five years.

I choose to work with VMware because I like the interface and its support for development. I also keep up to date with the most recent versions. For example, there was an update that happened this morning.

The initial setup is straightforward.

The installation is really easy, aside from little issues that it doesn't necessarily tell you when you're cloning something. For example, it may not point out which thing to click on but you can reasonably guess because it's at the top of the list, and it works.

I'm still in the process of tweaking the miners, so optimizing the system is an ongoing process. With this particular software, things change depending on the situation with the mining because you're working on a large network.

It takes about 15 to 20 minutes to clone the system once you've got the image done. The image that I made yesterday, I probably spent an hour or so setting up, and then I can cookie cutter. However, I'm continuing to look into how to optimize it for the number of CPUs, whether two processors with six cores are better than one processor with 12 cores, etc.

The licensing costs are cheap. I pay approximately $100 per year.

That said, I'm not doing anything major. If I had vSphere and multiple servers, and I was loading up 700 processes, then it would be a different story. However, I'm not at that level.

The reason that I chose and continue to like VMware is that it's a commercial product and it's funded and it develops and they're improving it. I love open-source, but I understand that some levels of development are more easily attained when there's a monetary incentive behind it.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, this is a good product and I recommend it. My advice for anybody who is considering VMware Workstation is to go ahead and implement it. That said, there is always room for improvement.

Engineering Applications Analyst at a manufacturing company with 5,001-10,000 employees
    Excellent for testing and provides insight without having to purchase licenses
    • "Because the setup is so easy, this is a solution that can be used at a moment's notice."
    • "Lacks the ability to clone onto another system rather than starting from scratch."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of VMware Workstation is to test environments, different Windows operating systems and the like, and basically to figure out how the solution would work before we put it into production. I'm an engineering applications analyst.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution benefits us because it allows us to identify whether we need to spend money on a solution that would involve having to buy a bunch of licenses for software, and running an application or a system for whatever our requirements might be. It allows us to test out that scenario to see if it would be more beneficial for our environment as opposed to buying everything, setting it up and determining whether it is going to work or not. It gives us insight into some of the issues we might run into, and how to better facilitate fixing them.

What is most valuable?

Because the setup is so easy, this is a solution that can be used at a moment's notice. It's simple to set up for a test environment and that's a huge benefit.

What needs improvement?

For our needs, the issue is that there is no way to take an existing system out of the testing environment, clone it with everything that it's currently set up on, and put it into production without having to create a whole new one. It lacks the ability to clone the environment so you have your test environment set up in the way it's going to be used in production. Rather than create a whole other environment, the idea would be to clone that capability onto another system and not have to start over from scratch. You have everything working the way you want it to and you just want to move it over to the production side of things.

I've been using this solution for about a year.

The solution handles pretty well. It did seem to function a little bit better than I had expected.

There are no issues with scalability. When we need to make any tweaks by adding more resources, it's pretty straightforward. I'm the only user. In terms of the back end, Microsoft patching needs to be done on a monthly basis based on our processes. The software itself will look to see how often it needs updates. It's pretty straightforward.

I've also used Azure. We made the switch because we had a license for Workstation and I needed to test a particular system. I could plug and play using the VMware Player to take an existing VTK, whatever the file extension is, and plug it in there to look at this VM. Workstation allowed us to test scenarios. We have a lot of older applications that run on older operating systems. Sometimes we have to test the old systems and see how they'll run in a virtual environment as well.

As long as you have all the information you need in terms of how many processors are require and how much memory, it's not complicated. Implementation was an in-house job. Rather than loading a specific software package on our network, we can use a testing environment to see what to expect from it. We test out of the box in a virtual environment and see where we get with it. The deployment took about a day.

We use VMware for virtual cluster of servers, but I believe we bought Workstation outright once. It's pretty low in cost, so if we need multiple copies, we usually buy a handful. I've actually insisted that we go that route for some of the software groups that we have so they can test various environments without having to use another system.

What other advice do I have?

This product is pretty straightforward and easy to use. I would definitely recommend it for testing different scenarios, Windows, Linux, that sort of thing. It works well in all environments, in my opinion, and the ease of setup is great and allows you to have a lot of test cases strictly run from your system rather than having to set up another whole desktop or another computer as a testing environment. Obviously, it's based on the number of hardware resources available in your system but to get a quick testbed or environment set up, it's pretty easy and straightforward. You can set it up and go about your daily routine and then come back to it, test some more scenarios, get it to where it's accessible through the networks, and determine whether we need it or not. It's better to have that rather than having to set up a whole other computer for testing.

I rate this solution 10 out of 10.

VMware Workstation
    September 2022
    632,611 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Toni Lindberg - PeerSpot reviewer
    CEO at Virtual Consultants Sverige AB
    High availability, complete functionality, beneficial VLAN setup
    • "The most valuable features of VMware Workstation are the DirectX support, you can run Microsoft Hyper-V in virtual environments which is good for me to test different installations. Additionally, you can set up different VLANs, and overall it is a complete solution."
    • "VMware Workstation has some network limitations which could improve, it is not as flexible as VMware NSX. Additionally, it could support operating systems better. I only run some Linux versions and Windows at the moment but it would be nice to be able to take whatever operating system you want and run it."

What is our primary use case?

VMware Workstation allows me to have virtualized environments. I can run the virtual environment in my home lab.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of VMware Workstation are the DirectX support, you can run Microsoft Hyper-V in virtual environments which is good for me to test different installations. Additionally, you can set up different VLANs, and overall it is a complete solution.

What needs improvement?

VMware Workstation has some network limitations which could improve, it is not as flexible as VMware NSX. Additionally, it could support operating systems better. I only run some Linux versions and Windows at the moment but it would be nice to be able to take whatever operating system you want and run it.

I have been using VMware Workstation for approximately 15 years.

VMware Workstation is highly stable. I have been running a VM for a year and a half and nothing has happened with it. It is running very well.

I rate the stability of VMware Workstation a ten out of ten,

VMware Workstation cannot scale. It's one installation on one system, you can't scale it. It uses the resources of my computer only.

I have used the support from VMware Workstation. The quality of the support can depend on who you speak to but they have always solved my problem. Sometimes it takes a few extra days for the solution because they have to find the right individual inside that can handle the support question.

I rate the support from VMware Workstation a five out of five.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

I have previously used a Microsoft Virtual Desktop but VMware Workstation is much better with more features. You have a wider range of devices you can use, such as a smart card reader.

The initial setup of the VMware Workstation is simple. You only need to click install and hit the next button over and over on the mouse.

If you run Microsoft on top of your laptop it's going to be cheaper than running a whole environment of VDIs. However, you get so much more from the VDI solution. You have security aspects and you have one place you store your data. It's closer to the data center so everything should run faster. For example, if you have an AutoCAD installation and you want to pick up a drawing that is approximately one gigabyte, it's going to take about 10 minutes over the landline but when you do it inside a VDI you can receive it in up to 45 seconds or so. These aspects are more important than pricing.

What other advice do I have?

VMware Workstation keeps working and it makes my day every time I have to use it because it starts, it runs, and it makes my life easier. I recommend it for developers.

I rate VMware Workstation a nine out of ten.

Customer experience engineer at a computer software company with 201-500 employees
    High performance, reliable, and simple initial setup
    • "The most valuable features of VMware Workstation are the speed of access and quality of upgrade. Those are the more important and pertinent aspects as far as we were concerned. Functionality and features were relevant for the customers. What a customer chose, we had to make sure that it operated."
    • "The big issue that we've always had with VMware, was the disparity between what was presented for a Windows-based client and a Linux-based client. The Windows client was always two or three releases ahead of the Linux client. We always wanted VMware to change and improve the feature sets between the client connector on Linux and on Windows."

What is our primary use case?

My company used to manufacture equipment that worked in conjunction with Citrix, VMware, or anything else that had either a cloud-based solution or a thin client or a thin client operating system requirement.

Our clients already were already a VMware Workstation, Citrix, Parallels, or a Microsoft customer, and we were only presenting them with the technology to physically connect to that solution. We provided a way in which they could present a connection to the target operating system or application. We were the OS that sat on the actual physical customer's desktop, and then they would connect to, for example, Citrix, VMware, or Microsoft.

Instead of having a whole full-blown copy of Microsoft Windows on a desktop to access another copy of Microsoft Windows, that's in the cloud, we are were presenting them with an alternative method to get to the virtual desktop or virtual application. We provided an endpoint computer solutions space. We didn't influence what the customers' endpoint was connecting to, we would facilitate the connection only.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of VMware Workstation are the speed of access and quality of upgrade. Those are the more important and pertinent aspects as far as we were concerned. Functionality and features were relevant for the customers. What a customer chose, we had to make sure that it operated.

What needs improvement?

We have used Citrix and they are very good because they keep both in step with one another. When they release a new endpoint client, very close to the same between the Microsoft Windows OS 10, Apple iOS, and Android.  VMware Workstation tends to leave Windows first for its client OS and sometimes doesn't catch up with the other OS's. A good example is the offloading of Teams. Teams works on Microsoft Windows, but there's no Linux client.

I have been using VMware Workstation for approximately six years.

VMware Workstation is highly reliable and stable.

I have used Citrix previously. I would rate VMware Workstation and Citrix the same. They have small differences and they both have areas to improve.

VMware Workstation's initial setup is straightforward. It's not a difficult solution to implement. It's incredibly similar to Citrix. It's quite easy because most sites that employ Horizon or VMware Workstation have already a VMware implementation, it's not extensive in that respect. However, what is difficult for all clients, it's how to make it work reliably, quickly, and stream well. After the initial installation, it's the second configuration that is what takes more work.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution for customers. However, the solution has to match the customer's use case.

I rate VMware Workstation a ten out of ten.

Solutions Architect at a tech vendor with 10,001+ employees
    Effective horizontally and vertically scaling, high availability, and simple initial setup
    • "The most valuable features of the VMware Workstation solutions are the ESXi and vCenter."
    • "The price of VMware Workstation could improve."

What is our primary use case?

Create multiple Virtual machines for various needs by different team members and also for other teams. Some of them are for crash and burn and some for extended validation.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of the VMware solutions (ESXi and vCenter) are snapshots, backup, restore, virtual networks, over provisioning of storage (in thin provisioning) etc.

What needs improvement?

The price of VMware solutions could improve.

I have been using VMware Workstation for approximately seven years.

VMware Workstation is a stable solution when compared to all the other hypervisors in the market. Snapshots, rollback and forth etc works smoothly. However, I do not have extended experience with the other solutions

The scalability of the VMware Workstation is good. We are able to add multiple ESXi servers into the vCenter and scale the requirements according to the client's needs. It can scale very well.

I have not had direct interaction with the support. However, I have heard it is good.

I have used hypervisors from various vendors and I prefer vmware over other productss.

The initial setup of the VMware Workstation is easy.

VMware Workstation has a high price than competitors in the market.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others is they should be clear on the requirement for the hypervisor. Why are they going for VMware or any other hypervisor solutions and what are the benefits that they can bring to the table for them. They should choose the best vendor in the market, not only in terms of the vendor but in terms of cost. VMware is slightly on the higher side when it comes to price, but for all the interface customers, it's a one-stop solution for all the virtualization needs.

I rate VMware Workstation an eight out of ten.

I have not found a solution that is above an eight out of ten in my experience. There is room for improvement. VMware Workstation is now into microservices, containers, Kubernetes, and others containerization technology which I have not had a lot of experience with.

Private Cloud

Other
    Senior Micro Solutions Engineer at Mobexpert
    Scales well, has good technical support, quick and easy to install
    • "Technical support is very good."
    • "I would want to see features included that make deployment easier."

What is our primary use case?

VMware Workstation is currently being used as a test model, it is not in production.

It is used for testing, and we have a mixed solution for reduction.  We are also considering moving part of our servers to virtualization.

How has it helped my organization?

It made various enhancements to the system once the deployment was completed.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see the stability improve. We have experienced some crashes on our devices.

The configuration could be simplified.

I would want to see features included that make deployment easier.

I have been using VMware Workstation for five or six years.

There are some concerns regarding the stability of this solution. We have a device that seems to be under some pressure and two others that are working very well.

We have no issues with the scalability of the VMware Workstation.

At this time our organization has 15 to 20 users.

This solution is being used daily, and we have plans to increase our usage.

Our plan is to move part of the server to this solution.

Technical support is very good.

I have been using several virtualization tools over the last five or six years.

Approximately six or seven years ago I used a Remote Desktop Solution but it was not a good experience.

The initial setup is straightforward. it took thirty minutes to complete the deployment.

We only require two days a month for one person to maintain this solution.

Using a lot of documentation, I was able to complete the installation myself.

With VMware Workstation, we have seen a return on investment, but the actual ROI will be shown in two or three years.

Licensing costs are paid on a yearly basis.

What other advice do I have?

The documentation should be thoroughly read.

I would rate VMware Workstation a nine out of ten.

BHARAT B  SHARMA - PeerSpot reviewer
    Director at Shreenathji Solutions
    It performs well and it's easy to scale, but it's hard to set up.

What is our primary use case?

We use VMware Workstation to deploy multiple machines, and every machine has its own configuration and software installed according to our configurations. The company has between 25 to 50 employees on virtual machines, and the usage is high.

What is most valuable?

It will not harm any of the computer settings to run a specific program. For example, if a program needs a specific security policy, we don't have to use the shared configuration. We have an individual copy of Windows installed on the virtual machine, so anybody can access that. It helps us a lot.

I have been using VMware for the last 10 years.

VMware Workstation's performance is excellent.

VMware's scalability is high. It's usually not an issue.

We've contact support for other VMware solutions besides Workstation. We needed support due to the complexity of the database. I rate VMware support eight out of 10.

Installing VMware Workstation isn't so easy. It's highly complex compared to Windows. I rate it four out of 10 for ease of installation. Setting up a remote desktop only takes a minute or so, but the Workstation itself takes some time.

You need to install a tool on the host machine, and then all the features can be managed via VMware Workstation. Once it's deployed, I can maintain issues on the machines remotely. We don't often go to the sites.

What other advice do I have?

I rate VMware Workstation six out of ten.

Private Cloud
    Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: integrator/consultant
    Pallab Kumar Chanda - PeerSpot reviewer
    Key Account Sales Manager at VFM Systems And Services
    Mature solution that delivers more ROI compared to similar products
    • "It is much more mature compared to Nutanix or SimpliVity when it's cross-platform based."
    • "The GUI interface could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

I'm an IT salesperson. I have experience selling this solution.

What is most valuable?

It is much more mature compared to Nutanix or SimpliVity when it's cross-platform based. It's much more well known compared to the other newly formed solutions.

What needs improvement?

The GUI interface could be improved. My customer says that you have to be trained to use it.

For someone who isn't a VMware expert, a simpler user interface would help.

I sold my first VMware solution in 2003.

The stability is good.

It's scalable.

It's good. I have used technical support once or twice for my customer. They have helped inform some technical discussions. I would rate them 5 out of 5.

Solutions like Nutanix are more user-friendly.

We have seen ROI. VMware is way cheaper if I take it as an application or a software compared to any hardware. It is cheaper compared to other products.

The cost differs depending on the customer's requirement.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution 10 out of 10.

There are pros and cons to this solution, so understand your infrastructure. Utilize the technical people to understand what is required, then go for it. There are many customers who have taken what they don't need, and many customers don't have what they do need.

Download our free VMware Workstation Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: September 2022