Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

Veritas Enterprise Vault OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Veritas Enterprise Vault is #2 ranked solution in top Email Archiving tools and #3 ranked solution in top File Archiving tools. PeerSpot users give Veritas Enterprise Vault an average rating of 8.6 out of 10. Veritas Enterprise Vault is most commonly compared to Commvault Complete Data Protection: Veritas Enterprise Vault vs Commvault Complete Data Protection. Veritas Enterprise Vault is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 65% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 24% of all views.
Veritas Enterprise Vault Buyer's Guide

Download the Veritas Enterprise Vault Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is Veritas Enterprise Vault?
Enterprise Vault and Enterprise Vault.cloud have the ability to quickly ingest and index terabytes of legacy data into a centralized archive. Each can also scale to support large data volumes (both solutions are successfully deployed at organizations with over 100,000 seats) to help you better manage the rapid growth of information.

Veritas Enterprise Vault was previously known as Enterprise Vault, Symantec Enterprise Vault.

Veritas Enterprise Vault Customers
Aboca Spa, G&F Financial Group, Antelope Valley Hospital, Carrington Holding Company, CSR Israel
Veritas Enterprise Vault Video

Veritas Enterprise Vault Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Veritas Enterprise Vault pricing:
  • "The price for Enterprise Vault is around €100 per user."
  • "There is a license required for this solution and it is typically is paid annually."
  • Veritas Enterprise Vault Reviews

Technical Consultant at Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company
    Good query vault, scalable, stable, with quick responding support
    • "The archive allows the customers to search any items as far back as five or ten years ago."
    • "I cannot perform application backup, and I am not able to repair the license."

What is our primary use case?

I am not an end-user with this product. I'm a technical consultant.

I am responsible for the migration, as well as the upgrades of this product for my customers.

We use this solution in large enterprise companies, with several mailboxes, and are not able to go through the cloud, due to regulation or other similar reasons.

These companies need a reliable archive solution, and I always recommend Enterprise Vault.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution performs searches for items very quickly.

Also, the mailboxes are very small in the on-premises locations. This reduces the time for the IT department for maintenance and improves performance on the Exchange server.

What is most valuable?

The most used feature of this solution is the search vault.

We have some customers who have many items in their mailbox. We want to provide them with a cache for two, three, or six months back.

The archive allows the customers to search any items as far back as five or ten years ago.

The search vault doesn't have the cache on Outlook and doesn't make it slower.

What needs improvement?

The backup area needs improvement. I cannot perform application backup, and I am not able to repair the license.

If someone deletes an item from the vault server, I am not able to restore a single license. I would have to restore the complete mailbox and all of the partitions, which is a lot of work.

It is not a very good solution for the backup and restore capabilities.

Microsoft Exchange vs. Veritas Enterprise Vault
    September 2022
    Find out what your peers are saying about Microsoft Exchange vs. Veritas Enterprise Vault and other solutions. Updated: September 2022.
    632,779 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I have been working with this product for almost four years.

I try to keep the customers up-to-date. Almost all of my customers have the 12.4 or 12.5 version.

I do, however, have a customer who has an older version. But most are up-to-date.

The stability is great. This product is great.

We always have the systems on. I barely see any problems with this product. The issues are normally coming from the SQL server. Or, if the customer is not doing the maintenance.

The problems are from the SQL server, and not from the Enterprise Vault.

At times when there is an upgrade, we can experience a small issue.

Scalability is huge. I archive billions of items with no issues at all. The search is great, especially with this newest version.

I don't have any issues with the scalability of this solution.

The size of the environments that we have deployed this solution to varies. We have customers with 15,000 users, some with 10,000 users and there are some with 100, and 500. The largest deployment is 15,000.

Technical support is very fast. It's great. I always get my answer and I am always able to get an engineer to solve the issues.

One time, I had a case that took three months to fix tables in SQL and they did it. It was on the dark side, but they got the job done.

It took some time but it was resolved.

I haven't had any clients who used another archive solution. They have exchanged on-premises but not to another archive.

I was involved with the design. I installed the product. I upgrade the product and I migrate it to SQL. I do everything.

I start with the step-by-step rule task guide, follow the rule task requirements and the requirements for the SQL server. I install the product, create the policy for the clients, archive a couple of mailboxes to show the clients how is done. Once that is complete the customer takes the lead.

It can take a couple of days to deploy.

After the installation, the maintenance is a couple of hours a week, depending on the company, and how large they are. This does not require full-time work. A couple of times per week is sufficient.

This is an area that is not relevant for me. I am not an end user or a buyer. I don't have this information.

Microsoft Exchange Archive is the largest, but I haven't used it. I always recommend Enterprise Vault because this is the main solution.

Microsoft has many solutions, but they don't work perfectly. It's not the best option.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend to my customers to open a new partition for every year or every six months.

It depends on the company and how many items they archive, how many mailboxes are archived, to keep the backup very fast. When I close the partition, I won't need to backup anymore. When it's closed, it is not changing.

There are many items, billions of them. To maintain, you can create a new partition every six months and back up a little bit more. The backup window is very convenient for the customer.

If you are on-premise and cannot go to the cloud, this is the best solution for easy maintenance of your Exchange server. You can go through many mailboxes with several items without a problem.

This product has done its job very well. I would rate Veritas Enterprise Vault a nine out of ten.

Lead Solutions Architect at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
    Good SMTP archiving, great at integrating with other solutions, and compatible with other storage types
    • "The integration capabilities are second to none."
    • "The file-level archiving is very important in Enterprise Vault 12 and this doesn't really exist in early versions."

What is our primary use case?

We have deployed Enterprise Vault's latest version on our on-premises servers. We use it to migrate the existing data from another version to the newest version.

What is most valuable?

The features that we really like are SMTP archiving, and classification. The solution performs indexing very well.

In version 12, we can search for a text on the image. This is one of the new features on Enterprise Vault 12. It's great that we can search for text, for the purposes of image archiving.

The integration capabilities are second to none.

The solution has great compatibility with many different types of storage.

What needs improvement?

In version 11, there aren't many features about SMTP archiving or giving it support.

There was one earlier version, Enterprise Vault 10, that was 32-bit indexing. Enterprise Vault from 11 onwards is 64-bit indexing.

The file-level archiving is very important in Enterprise Vault 12 and this doesn't really exist in early versions.

In the future, it would be ideal if it could be integrated with the cloud at high availability. Enterprise Vault is an Active/Passive node. It doesn't provide high availability with Active/Active. In future versions, if Active/Active could be achieved, we could consider it capable of high availability and load balancing as well.

I have been using this for more than 10 years, for different clients within my company.

The stability is great. In terms of server hardware, performance, and the load, it's quite reliable.

The scalability depends on a few different factors, such as the data, and it's requirements. We need to figure out if the customer wants the data to be stored for five years or ten years and we need to figure out how much storage will be needed now and into the future. It's possible to scale, however.

We have about 5,000-10,000 users within our organization. They would all need to have their mailboxes archived, for example.

Our organization provides technical support for Enterprise Vault. We have the ability to work on any Enterprise Vault issues from level One to Four. In a worst-case scenario, we may need to go into SQL scripts to gather more information.

We have complex environments, where the clients have the data of more than 100 terabytes. We deployed successfully, and we migrated data successfully. That said, due to the fact that our environment is complex, the initial implementation wasn't necessarily straightforward.

The maintenance requirements depend upon the features of Enterprise Vault. If it is using for end-user mailbox archiving, yes, we may have some issues from the end-users, and if it is only for a general archiving data, the maintenance is less.

I handled the implementation myself, from scratch. I did the designing, development, deployment to the servers, configuration, and migration.

The main cost for the Enterprise Vault is a mailbox cost. For example, we need to know how many mailboxes we need to get archived as there is a charge per mailbox.

We have so many products, including Commvault and other products. That said, we identified Enterprise Vault as the best option for integrating with different products and different features. For example, it's integrated with the other email servers like Microsoft Office 365 and Microsoft Exchange. It's integrated with other backup servers such as NetBackup and MCT Backup. It's integrated with SQL. So we can't find any other product that has this level of integration capabilities and features.

What other advice do I have?

We're Veritas customers. We don't have a special relationship with the company.

The solution has been deployed on on-premise and virtual servers as well, both on physical as well as virtual servers. I've been working with a variety of different deployment models. I've worked with the solution from version 9 all the way through to 12.

I'd advise those considering using the solution to look at their requirements in terms of scaling, data compatibility, and data integration. These all need to be considered before choosing a product.

Overall, I'd rate the solution eight out of ten. If it offered high availability, I would rank it higher.

Microsoft Exchange vs. Veritas Enterprise Vault
    September 2022
    632,779 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    MihaiAlexandru - PeerSpot reviewer
    Unemployed at a manufacturing company with 51-200 employees
    Affordable and reliable with a helpful search feature
    • "The stability is excellent."
    • "Dealing with personal information, such as documents that contain a personal number, personal ID or something like that should be improved. Sometimes it works poorly in that regard."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for email and file archiving. We also use it for the classification of international regulations.

What is most valuable?

The search feature is the most valuable aspect of the solution.

The solution is pretty scalable.

The stability is good.

The product is quite affordable.

What needs improvement?

Dealing with personal information, such as documents that contain a personal number, personal ID or something like that should be improved. Sometimes it works poorly in that regard. It depends on the accuracy of the picture, PDF file, or format. Maybe with other OCR tools, the results will be better.

While a lot of this depends on Microsoft, I'd like to see more integration. I'd like more of the product as a feature instead of a second product. In the future, we'd like to have the same structure of folders that we have in Microsoft 365.

I've been using the solution for around three years.

The stability is excellent. I'd rate it five out of five. There were no bugs or glitches and it didn't crash or freeze.

I found the solution to be scalable. Expanding it wasn't a problem.

We had about 6,000 people on it in the organization. Our entire company was on it.

I never personally reached out to technical support and therefore would d not be able to speak on how helpful they would be if you had any issues.

The initial setup offers a moderate amount of difficulty. It's not overly complex. I'd rate it a four out of five in terms of ease of deployment. The deployment itself takes about two weeks.

The price for Enterprise Vault is around €100 per user. That is for one license for one year and includes support. I would rate the solution a four out of five in terms of affordability.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate the product nine out of ten. I've been pretty satisfied with its capabilities overall.

Presales Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    Reseller
    Easy to use, scales well, and has good performance

What is our primary use case?

We are using the solution for email and file archiving, and compliance.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are ease of use and performance. However, the performance can depend on the workload being used.

What needs improvement?

The integration needs to improve.

I have been using this solution for approximately two years.

In my experience, the solution has been scalable.

We have engineers that deal with the technical side of this solution.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Veritas Enterprise Vault a nine out of ten.