TIBCO Spotfire OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

TIBCO Spotfire is the #9 ranked solution in top Business Intelligence Tools. PeerSpot users give TIBCO Spotfire an average rating of 8.2 out of 10. TIBCO Spotfire is most commonly compared to Microsoft BI: TIBCO Spotfire vs Microsoft BI. TIBCO Spotfire is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 76% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 15% of all views.
TIBCO Spotfire Buyer's Guide

Download the TIBCO Spotfire Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is TIBCO Spotfire?

TIBCO Spotfire is your secret weapon. You can create beautiful, interactive visualizations that will help you find the critical insights hiding in your data - fast. Spotfire gives you the tools to quickly and easily examine, organize, analyze and comprehend your data to see connections, patterns, and opportunities.

TIBCO Spotfire was previously known as Spotfire.

TIBCO Spotfire Customers

Allergan, ASSS de Montreal, Avantium, Blue River, Bank of Montreal, Citibank, FrieslandCampina, Hellmann Logistics, Merck, Novartis

TIBCO Spotfire Video

TIBCO Spotfire Pricing Advice

What users are saying about TIBCO Spotfire pricing:
  • "The cost is a few hundred dollars per user per year."
  • "The cost of TIBCO Spotfire could improve. It should be less expensive. It's the most expensive visualization tool in our company."
  • "This product carries a monthly licensing charge, with the amount depending on the features that are to be included. This costs also covers the use of technical support."
  • "The price-point for this solution is negotiable depending on usage levels."
  • TIBCO Spotfire Reviews

DenisGauder - PeerSpot reviewer
    Digital Asset Manager at a energy/utilities company with 51-200 employees
    Excellent for scientific applications with a good ability to customize
    • "Spotfire is excellent for scientific applications, especially because of its integration with RNG."
    • "The handling and consumption of realtime data could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

As a service company, we were using Spotfire for things like timesheet analysis for our own purposes. What was more important was that we were advising our corporate customers, chemical, oil and gas companies like Shell, Total, and Exxon about where they should use this tool and how to develop an application using it. I'm really on the service side and Spotfire was a tool that I could offer to my customers for delivering projects.

In terms of use case, process data analysis would be number one. Then I'd say industrial performance dashboard, and lastly, problem root cause analysis.

How has it helped my organization?

I championed the use of this solution in my company (an engineering service company) and ultimately we delivered a lot of projects. Often, we were working on development, more specifically user interface development, graphical user interface, and other things that were extremely costly and time consuming. When the BI tools arrived, it seemed to be a very fast way to not only analyze data, but also provide interactive dashboards to people, which before would've required the development of a custom tool. This would've been magnitudes higher in terms of price, so I really saw an opportunity there with the BI tools.

At this stage, it was clear that Spotfire was the top runner. I don't have much experience with Tableau, but clearly for scientific applications, Spotfire was awesome. Especially because of its integration with things like RNG. As an engineer, I was very excited.

What needs improvement?

To be completely frank, the main problem of Spotfire is that it's being destroyed by Power BI. That's the only problem. Otherwise, the product is superior from a technical perspective, but they are victim of an extremely aggressive strategy from Microsoft and therefore, become far too expensive because Power BI is free in organizations. That's Spotfire's biggest weakness.

Another thing is the realtime boarding capabilities and the integration with other realtime streaming products should be much easier. The handling of realtime data could be improved.

I would also improve the consumption of realtime data. I'd also probably improve integration with the RNG, and generally speaking, the data science techniques. I think this is where Spotfire can still play a role and be competitive compared to Power BI. Other than that, I love the product, but I don't know how they can survive the offensive of Microsoft commercially.

I have been using this solution for around six years.

TIBCO Spotfire
    November 2022
    Learn what your peers think about TIBCO Spotfire. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2022.
    655,774 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I've had projects running for a while and have no particular complaints about stability. Originally, Spotfire is an offline analysis tool, so stability isn't a huge issue. It's much more of an issue when you do realtime statistical treatment with realtime data . That's where I mentioned they have to improve.

Tipco is a huge company and they have this policy of acquiring software all the time, which is an interesting yet aggressive policy for development. The problem when you keep acquiring companies is that at some point, you have to integrate the products. That's where things tend to take a lot of time. Afterwards, the integration can sometimes be wishy washy and I think this is what happens in the realtime space.

Spotfire has identified that there was something in the market that was asking for the consumption of realtime data and the provision of realtime dashboards and analysis. What they've done is half integrate another product that they bought and I found this strategy weak. I think this is where the stability will really become a critical factor, but overall, I would say so far so good.

I think scalability is pretty good. I've seen customers running thousands of reports. For reaching good scalability, it also depends on your network architecture and whether you host it on cloud or not. I would say there's nothing in the software that really worries me, but you can always mess it up.

Overall it's quite good. As a partner, there's a big difference because my request for assistance is usually prioritized over regular customers. I probably had access to the hotline, but it's very clear that when you're a partner and you meet the commercial team, they know that you're pre-sale, and so you get a lot better answers from them than you do from the hotline. Overall, I have nothing to complain about, but I'm not blown away either.

It depends how you deploy it and the use case. If you just want to install it on your computer and get going for self-service usage, that's a matter of five minutes, so that's extremely easy. If you want to deploy it at the corporate level with the web server, that can be more complex. For a corporate analysis solution or corporate dashboarding solution, it's more complex, but also not unexpected.

When you've installed or deployed the software in your company, you're still nowhere; that's probably the IT department's problem generally speaking: Is the product installed? Is someone doing something with it? Is there the necessary skillset around it? Are your engineering and technical personnel able to operate it on their own? That seems to be the least of their worries, but this is why you pay for the software.

I would say that in terms of a deployment strategy, everyone will do the ITPs. If you have an IT person in your company that knows half of what they're doing, there's no problem. You manage.

Nevertheless, putting a correct strategy around the use of business intelligence tools in the organization, it's relevant to ask: What will we use it for? What kind of training will we provide? What kind of algorithm will we develop on top of that? I told you that as an integration with the RNG, for example,which is extremely powerful, I think these are big questions that people often forget.

They think that just by a data science or dashboarding tool, results will come out of it miraculously, but no results come out of the software. Results come out of people using the software, so I would say the challenge in terms of a deployment strategy and the time it takes is a complete function of the ambition level that you have. We can deploy it in one night, but then it has no impact on the company and if you really want to make an impact on the company, then I believe that you are looking at deployment activities, which are much longer. Particularly after the deployment, you should probably do something to maintain the life cycle of the product. So I would say an ideal deployment is deployment that never ends.

To summarize, I would say from a technical point of view, deployment should be the least of your problems. It can be easy. Nevertheless, using a quick strategy around the use of business intelligence, that's something different. I believe that all decision makers should really focus their attention on this and not on something as silly as whether the solution is easy to install.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution an eight or nine out of ten.

It's one of the best products I've worked with in my career. Especially in the engineering, oil and gas, or chemistry fields. A long time ago, you found a lot of niche software players, which were terrible software. Being able to introduce something modern like Spotfire was really fresh air for us. It's an excellent product. The ability to customize as well is really good.

Particularly for us, because as a service company, we tend do things that are a bit more advanced than what the production people do and therefore, I was very pleased with it.

Specialist Geosciences Data Consultant at a energy/utilities company with 10,001+ employees
    Simple to use out-of-the-box features, but customization is difficult
    • "The out-of-the-box features are simple and easy to use across the board."
    • "Personalising Spotfire, as a whole, is painful and is something that could be made easier."

What is our primary use case?

My daily tasks are related to data mining and TBICO Spotfire is one of the products that I use. We are a small group of geologists operating in a niche area who are analyzing geochemical data. Our backend database is MySQL and we use products such as Power BI, Tableau, and Spotfire to display data for the geochemists.

How has it helped my organization?

If we get dirty data in, we might use Spotfire to see what it is we actually have. This might include how many files we have and the file types, in the case where we have this massive data purchase or something similar.

We use Spotfire to slice and dice and see what we're looking at. But then at the end of the day, we end up just taking the data and loading it into Oracle tables. After we have figured out what we have, we might connect Spotfire to those data tables, to better display the different analyses that a geochemist needs.

What is most valuable?

The out-of-the-box features are simple and easy to use across the board. Some of the features that we use are bar charts, pie graphs, and cross tables. They are simple dashboards to show the different metrics on the data, and sometimes data quality, as well.

What needs improvement?

Personalising Spotfire, as a whole, is painful and is something that could be made easier. As a result, I'm not doing much coding.

The background process is something that I find difficult to work with, although that may be more related to company policy and procedures than it is to Spotfire. Specifically, having it on the servers for development and then moving to acceptance in production is not user-friendly. I understand why it's got to be done, so you don't mess up anything that's in production, but to me, it's a little bit antiquated. I think it could be more robust in how you pull in your data, from a database level. Using data in spreadsheets is very simple but when you start connecting to databases, it can be clunky and difficult to do.

I have been working with TIBCO Spotfire for approximately six years. My company has had a license for much longer than that.

Spotfire is stable, although sometimes it is slow. That may be related to the company and how the data is being rendered, and where our servers sit for the databases. I don't think that its' a fault of Spotfire because I've seen it work with real-time data really fast. It seems, however, the implementation can cause it to lag a little bit.

This is a scalable solution if you're not trying to customize it too much. If you can use what it comes with out of the box, I think it's very scalable and very simple to use. It's when you start having to make custom coding adjustments and whatnot, that it could be a pain because then only one person can fix it typically, and that's the person who initially worked on the coding.

We don't connect directly with TIBCO because we have our own technical support in the company.

We also use Microsoft Power BI and Tableau to create views of the data.

As of last year, my company has been starting to move away from using Spotfire and focus on Power BI, only because it is part of the Microsoft Office Suite. This means that it's easier to integrate. However, for now, we are still using both products.

Spotfire X was a big improvement from the previous versions. They now have an export option to PowerPoint, which was a large pain point in the past. Generally, this is not something I use personally. I create a web service and I give the links out for people to access it directly.

The initial setup is pretty simple. All we have to do is request a license, download it, and start using it. You can start bringing spreadsheets in, for example.

We are a small group within the company and we have dedicated groups within our organization for Spotfire support. We just tell them that we need a place on a server and they set it up. For the most part, deployment is straightforward.

We have an in-house team for deployment and maintenance, and they provide technical support to the rest of the company. It used to be a large team and they are very helpful. My understanding is that there was a reorganization and we now have only two people who are contacts for Spotfire support. At least in the past, if we needed help then it was easy and they were great.

Additional people have been brought in to assist us with Power BI, although I have not yet been using it regularly.

The cost is a few hundred dollars per user per year.

As a data analyst, I am not in operations and don't have a say in which products we use.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is implementing Spotfire is to first speak with TIBCO to make sure that your data model and everything that operates in the background is implemented correctly. If it is done improperly then it may render slowly.

Don't assume that you know everything, the way we do in my company. There are times when we get something new and because it has to be done our way, we end up breaking it.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

TIBCO Spotfire
    November 2022
    655,774 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Mohsin Pathan - PeerSpot reviewer
    Associate Vice President - Solutions, presales & services at Bahwan CyberTek
    Flexible, offers a single pane of glass, and is highly customizable
    • "It’s stable and straightforward."
    • "When you do the data loading, it is slow."

What is our primary use case?

Spotfire is very powerful, especially for oil and gas, as it has a very intuitive and very strong UI. These are some of the use cases when you're doing normal analytics, reporting, or dashboarding.

Then you can talk about some of the predictive analyses. You can talk about forecasting, you talk about banking use cases, and you talk about data time. All of that gels very well into extreme use cases of streaming analytics. You have streaming data coming in, and then you can populate data from Spotfire.

What is most valuable?

The solution's most valuable aspect is the single pane for everything. Some customers have a predictive analysis of data science they want to do, so they have to acquire another tool to get the data science. However, in Spotfire, you can have one single tool to manage everything. You can have historical data, you can have real-time data, you can have predictive data, and all of that is available to you.

It is a highly customizable tool.

All the big giants, oil and gas companies, use TIBCO Spotfire heavily.

It’s stable and straightforward.

The solution is easy to set up.

What needs improvement?

There's one area I see that specifically needs improvement. That is when you do the data loading. It is slow. For historical data, when you talk about gigabytes of data, terabytes of data, then it becomes prolonged. Loading could be improved. That's one part. That is actually there with every tool.

I would not say that this is a specific problem with Spotfire. However, it is a problem with all the BI tools. That is one area which can be improved. When you are doing analytics, you see that the value has to come perfect.

There was a missing feature of alerting out of the box within Spotfire. However, they have released this in version 12.

I’ve used the solution for more than ten years.

The solution is very stable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn’t crash or freeze. It’s reliable.

The solution can scale.

We have about 25,000 users on the solution currently.

Technical support is very good. There are a few products in TIBCO. There’s the core streaming, master return management, then TIBCO Business Works. These are very strong products and very strong support. It’s bread and butter for TIBCO.

The initial setup is easy. It’s very straightforward. It’s not overly complex.

How many people you need for deployment and maintenance depends on the project, including what kind of reporting you're implementing. When you're implementing a reporting like very complex dashboards, you need two people, maybe. It depends on how many reports you're implementing. If you are implementing 100 reports, then it will take maybe five to six months maximum, with two people.

It also depends on the backing system and the testing and UIT also. That might take two engineers or consultants.

The initial part is the analytics setup, which is setting up the whole part and designing the whole thing. After that, it's the consultant's job and they can actually do it quickly.

We’ve seen an ROI. There is a solid ROI.

For example, if you're talking about a banking or small banking industry or FFA industry where you have a mortgage and you have a collection, you can implement use cases like route optimization. You can implement use cases like the customer first to customer 360 degrees, and all of these cases actually give you complete value.

The ROI is relatively high, to be honest, especially with one single pane for everything, so you really don't have to worry about opening a different type of dashboard and can handle time management and all these things, so it can really actually scale up and doesn't create any boundaries.

What other advice do I have?

We are the exclusive partner for MENA in India. We’ve been a partner since 2016.

if you are looking for one single pane for managing all your analytics problems, then you should go for Spotfire. With Spotfire, there are some challenges. For example, the dashboards are not that fancy, and you do not have the 3D ones. However, when you do deep analytics, or you can say deep data wrangling, data management, all these things are very flexible in Spotfire.

When you're looking for one single pane for your historical analytics, streaming analytics, predictive analytics, data science, ML modeling, and managing everything from the one single pane, then you should go for Spotfire. This is the best tool in the market.

The visualization can be improved and could become a little fancier. Right now, it is 2D charts, yet it should make a 3D chart.

The dashboard is 2D. When you have 3D, then you really see the value. However, with the kind of options that Spotfire provides, nobody can provide what they offer. It's very extensive. If you migrate from TIBCO Spotfire to Power BI, maybe you'll take double the time, and you'll still not achieve the same features that Spotfire provides out of the box.

I’d rate the solution nine out of ten. The first thing is it is easy to implement and easy to manage. The second thing is it has excellent out-of-the-box connectors and out-the-box visualization. The third thing is the modes, so if you want to do deep analytics like a donor chart or a funnel chart and specifics like that. You can do that. The fourth thing is one single pane for everything, so you can manage all kinds of analytics in that single pane.

ILGAR SARIJANLI - PeerSpot reviewer
    Head of Analitics and Data Management at Bank Respublika
    Dynamic with good pricing and great reporting
    • "It's scalable."
    • "The initial setup can be difficult."

What is our primary use case?

I work with a big bank in Azerbaijan. We have created a data warehouse and use TIBCO Spotfire. I have implemented this application in three banks.

We primarily use it for processing. I have experience and I understand the technical requirements so that we can design any report or we can use SQL links, or Postgres, et cetera.

What is most valuable?

It's a dynamic solution. There's dynamic reporting in TIBCO. It's very easy to add Power BI. With Power BI, if you want to create dynamic reporting, and dynamic dashboards, in Power BI you must create a lot of code files, however. It's very useful or it's very easy to create the dynamic dashboard in TIBCO Spotfire.

The solution is stable.

The pricing is good.

It's scalable.

What needs improvement?

We'd like better dashboard integrations.

The initial setup can be difficult.

The design of the solution could be updated.

I've worked with the solution for seven or eight years. I have a rather large background with the solution.

It's quite stable and reliable. The performance is great. There are no bugs or glitches and it doesn't crash or freeze. After working with the solution for seven years, I've never had any emergencies to contend with.

The scalability is good. It's not a problem to expand it. You can do all kinds of reporting, and as often as you want. It's very fast.

We have about 50 planned users on the product right now.

At the present time, we don't have any plans to upgrade this system, however, we have a plan after the new year, or 2023, to look at everything. We might look at usage then.

The solution does not have good documentation or a strong community to help you.

That said, I' e never had issues that required me to directly reach out to technical support. We do have a partner in the region, and if we needed help, we would reach out to them to get assistance. We might need to reach out maybe once a year. It is never very often.

I also have experience with and am certified in Power BI. However, I've never used it in a banking environment.

If we use Power BI, there are very good colors or a lot of dashboards and there are machine learning opportunities, et cetera. However, it is not easy to create dynamic dashboards. With TIBCO Spotfire, there are not very good color systems or nice UX designs. However, the reporting is very good. We only need reporting, which is why we choose to use TIBCO.

There were problems with the initial setup. There is not a lot of documentation for implementation. If you have any problems, you cannot easily find documentation for issues either. The community is okay, however, there is not enough information for solving problems. There are not really any tutorials to help you.

It's not user-friendly and pretty hard to deal with system settings.

We do pay a yearly licensing fee. Three years ago, we paid for four years upfront. It's not overly expensive.

We looked at Tableau, which is very good. I know Oracle BI is also a very strong system as well, as is QlikView.

What other advice do I have?

I'm an end-user of the product.

We are using both on-premises and cloud deployment of the product. We have a server, a TIBCO server, which we implemented. We have implemented several reports and have used the Spotfire design.

I'd rate the solution an eight out of ten.

Dedy Rachmanto - PeerSpot reviewer
    Sr. Information MGT Analyst at Pertamina
    Useful user interface, handles many data types, and reliable
    • "The most valuable features of TIBCO Spotfire are visualization. It's very nice, clear, and, flexible. You can analyze many data types and the user interface is very good."
    • "The initial setup of TIBCO Spotfire is in the middle range of difficulty. The initial setup of Power BI is easier."

What is our primary use case?

TIBCO Spotfire is a business intelligence tool.

I am only supporting the data to be used in the TIBCO Spotfire application. I'm not using it for my daily operation. However, my users use my data for their TIBCO Spotfire dashboard.

I collect a lot of data from our system and I provide good quality data for reports.  I've done checks on the speed of the queries, and integration with other information before the data is accessed by the users. I provide the speed, the quality, and the completeness of data to be consumed by TIBCO Spotfire.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of TIBCO Spotfire are visualization. It's very nice, clear, and, flexible. You can analyze many data types and the user interface is very good.

I have used TIBCO Spotfire within the last 12 years.

TIBCO Spotfire is stable.

The scalability of TIBCO Spotfire is good.

The operations, asset, and reservoir teams all use this solution in the oil company where it is used. The are approximately 300 users.

The support is not very good in Indonesia. They need to improve. The support is from a third party and I find we know more about the solution than they do. Their knowledge and responsiveness could improve.

I have used Power BI and TIBCO Spotfire is a similar solution in many ways. However, Power BI is easier to use. The time it takes for the deployment of TIBCO Spotfire is more than Power BI. It takes approximately one week to complete which involves the reports, setting up the data, and interface configuration.

The initial setup of TIBCO Spotfire is in the middle range of difficulty. The initial setup of Power BI is easier.

My advice to others is if their business case is supported then they can receive a return on investment by using TIBCO Spotfire. However, if revenue is not generated they should use a less expensive solution, such as Power BI.

The cost of TIBCO Spotfire could improve. It should be less expensive. It's the most expensive visualization tool in our company.

What other advice do I have?

I rate TIBCO Spotfire an eight out of ten.

Rajesh Nai - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior Associate at a consultancy with 10,001+ employees
    A robust BI tool, with good dashboard features and adverse event tracking
    • "This solution allows us to integrate data from across all client departments, for effective reporting via a single dashboard."
    • "We would like to see some improvement in the default properties of the solution, so that there is less need for us to spend our time coding."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to prepare dashboards to monitor our clients products and to capture, then track and monitor, adverse events in the system.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution allows for much easier navigation to specific pages of data making searches much more time-efficient.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

We would like to see some improvement in the default properties of the solution, so that there is less need for us to spend our time coding.

We would also appreciate proper API and a proper training solution to be developed for this product so that we can quickly implement changes.

We have been working with this solution for around 10 years.

We have found this solution to be mostly stable, but we have experienced occasional lags due to server capacity.

The initial setup of this solution takes between one to five days, and requires a lot of information to be captured for it's configuration depending on the OS being used.

The setup also has a lot of steps to be followed precisely, which are provided in a manual, but means that any incorrect changes will have to be undone in a specific manner that can be quite tedious.

This solution was implemented using a combination of our client's in-house team, and a buyer support operative.

This product carries a monthly licensing charge, with the amount depending on the features that are to be included. This costs also covers the use of technical support.

What other advice do I have?

We would recommend this solution if an organization is carrying out statistical analysis, and require role level security or visualization support.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Muzaffer Yöntem - PeerSpot reviewer
    Managing Partner at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
    An easily scalable solution with strong business intelligence issue handling functionality
    • "The ability to create a real-time data mark, using just one piece of software, is the best feature of this product."
    • "I would like to see the visualization library in this solution expanded, so that I can increase what I can offer to our clients."

What is our primary use case?

I use this solution to handle business intelligence issues.

What needs improvement?

I would also like an option for dashboard creation on mobile and tablet to be added to this solution. At present, the mobile functionality is not as well developed as the web functionality.

I have been working with this product for seven years.

I have found this solution to be very stable.

This solution is easily scalable. Even if you didn't project the correct number of users during implementation, it only takes a day or two to open the system up.

The customer support for this solution is very good.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

The initial setup of this solution was very simple, and straightforward.

The price-point for this solution is negotiable depending on usage levels.

What other advice do I have?

Download our free TIBCO Spotfire Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: November 2022