IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Teradata Data Lab OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Teradata Data Lab is #19 ranked solution in top Business Intelligence Tools. PeerSpot users give Teradata Data Lab an average rating of 10 out of 10. Teradata Data Lab is most commonly compared to Databricks: Teradata Data Lab vs Databricks. Teradata Data Lab is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 70% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 29% of all views.

Download the Business Intelligence (BI) Tools Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2022

What is Teradata Data Lab?
A Teradata Data Lab lets you explore and examine new ideas by combining new data with existing data so its easy to identify new trends and insight or react to immediate business issues.

Teradata Data Lab was previously known as Data Lab.

Teradata Data Lab Customers
Volvo, Station Casinos, Network Solutions LLC, Telef‹nica de Argentina S.A., Bouygues Telecom
Teradata Data Lab Video

Archived Teradata Data Lab Reviews (more than two years old)

Business Development / Senior Business Analyst at Startup team at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
It has increased the speed of reporting
  • "It has increased the speed of reporting."
  • "​Their level of technical support is adequate. It could be better.​"
  • "​The initial setup was complex as we had to rewrite a lot of the code.​"

What is our primary use case?

Data mart implementation for the insurance industry.

How has it helped my organization?

Increased the speed of reporting More accurate data scientist answers

What is most valuable?

Shared-nothing architecture Recoverability

What needs improvement?

Cloud implementation User-friendly products
Business Intelligence (BI) Tools
June 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Teradata, Tableau, Oracle and others in Business Intelligence (BI) Tools. Updated: June 2022.
607,332 professionals have used our research since 2012.

Three to five years.

I have not encountered any issues with stability for Teradata solutions.

I have not encountered any issues with scalability for Teradata solutions.

Their level of technical support is adequate. It could be better.

We previously used Oracle, though not Exadata. We switched for better reporting performance.

The initial setup was complex as we had to rewrite a lot of the code.

I would advise others to look into migration and setup as a fixed price and incorporate a SaaS option for other Teradata services.

We evaluated this product versus Oracle Exadata.

What other advice do I have?

When looking into implementing this product, pricing is the main issue followed by technical expertise.
it_user6330 - PeerSpot reviewer
Product Manager at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
Teradata Data Lab - An agile analytics enabler

Data scientists & business analysts need an exploratory environment in which they can create databases without having to go through production processes such as data governance, data architecture and complex ETLing. At eBay, we have built a set of self-service tools that allow analysts to create managed lab environments (called Virtual datamarts), to upload data into those environments, to specify views in the lab environment that access data from production databases and to facilitate data movement within and across systems.

The Teradata Data Lab product has similar capabilities:

1. A team owner can provision a Lab Group for a team. A Lab group has certain configurable properties like size and expiration date.
2. The lab group owner can give permissions to other users to create databases in the lab group. The lab group owner can optionally setup an approval workflow to govern changes occurring within the lab group.
3. Lab group users can import data into the lab environment from various sources.
4. Admins can provide TASM rules to easily govern the lab environment.
5. Users have clear visibility on the usage of the lab group.
6. Data migration tools simplify migrating content from the lab group to production.

Such a managed exploratory environment offers benefits such as reduced cost, greater agility & better system utilization. Consider this product to provide more agility and self-service to your Data scientists and Business analysts.