Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

SwiftStack OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

SwiftStack is #9 ranked solution in top File and Object Storage tools. PeerSpot users give SwiftStack an average rating of 9.0 out of 10. SwiftStack is most commonly compared to MinIO: SwiftStack vs MinIO. SwiftStack is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 64% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 24% of all views.

Download the File and Object Storage Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is SwiftStack?
SwiftStack enables you to do more with storage. Store more data, enable more applications and serve more users. We do this by delivering a proven object storage solution that's built on an open-source core and is fully enterprise ready. Our object storage software is an alternative to complex, expensive, on-premises hardware-based storage solutions. SwiftStack delivers the features and flexibility you need to easily manage and scale object storage behind your firewall. Customers are demanding storage where they can pay as they grow, find it is easier to consume, and can infinitely scale. Today, our customers use SwiftStack for archiving active data, serving web content, building private clouds, sharing documents and storing backups.
SwiftStack Customers
Pac-12 Networks, Georgia Institute of Technology, Budd Van Lines

SwiftStack Pricing Advice

What users are saying about SwiftStack pricing:
  • "We are able to dynamically grow storage at a lower cost. We can repurpose hardware and buy commodity hardware. There is a huge cost savings, on average $100,000 a year compared to traditional storage for what we have at our size."
  • "The pricing model is great and makes sense. We have talked about how to get into more of a frequent billing cycle than once a year. That would be an interesting concept to add into the product, having the ability to have monthly billing instead of having to do a one-year licensing renewal. However, the way the license works by charging for storage consumed is definitely what makes them the most competitive."
  • "Dollar per gigabyte, it costs us more because we are storing more. However, if you look at it from a cost per gigabyte perspective, we have dropped our costs significantly."
  • "It's pricey for us because we're a nonprofit. I'm not privy to any amount or cost, but I have been told that it is pricey. There are no costs in addition to the licensing fees, and it seems to come with the support."
  • SwiftStack Reviews

Engineering Manager at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
    We are able to dynamically grow storage at a lower cost
    • "The SwiftStack Controller, which is the web UI, provides out of band management. This has been one of the best features of it. It allows us to be able to do upgrades and look at performance metrics. It is a top feature and reason to choose the product."
    • "The file access needs improvement. The NFS was rolled out as a single service. It needs to be fully integrated into the proxy in a highly available fashion, like the regular proxy access is. I know it's on the roadmap."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is general purpose object storage for preproduction types of test and development. We use it in research, development, test, and evaluations (RDT&E) for software development.

We are using it for the backup and recovery and object storage. We use the Swift and NFS. We have a NAS gateway such as Avere in front of it. So, it is multipurpose. I would like to use it for more direct NFS, if that feature does become available.

How has it helped my organization?

We are able to dynamically grow storage at a lower cost. We can repurpose hardware and buy commodity hardware. There is a huge cost savings, on average $100,000 a year compared to traditional storage for what we have at our size.

What is most valuable?

The SwiftStack Controller, which is the web UI, provides out of band management. This has been one of the best features of it. It allows us to be able to do upgrades and look at performance metrics. It is a top feature and reason to choose the product.

What needs improvement?

The file access needs improvement. The NFS was rolled out as a single service. It needs to be fully integrated into the proxy in a highly available fashion, like the regular proxy access is. I know it's on the roadmap.

With some of the hierarchy, old management storage policies, I would like to be able to move data between different types of storage policies. One of the things that has come up before was being able to do distributed erasure coding. Right now, erasure coding is only supported locally redundant. Products, like Scality, support the ability using multiple rings to do erasure coding that's globally redundant.

File and Object Storage
    September 2022
    Find out what your peers are saying about NVIDIA, Red Hat, Scality and others in File and Object Storage. Updated: September 2022.
    632,779 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I have been using the product since 2015.

The hardware stability is independent of SwiftStack. However, the way the durability is configured, it is quite impressive. We have had three years of 100 percent uptime on the system.

SwiftStack is able to offer a level of availability beyond using basic hardware. We don't need special-purpose hardware in order to achieve that level of availability.

The performance is limited to what our hardware is, so the software performs as expected. I have not found any reason to believe that the software has had any performance limitations.

I have a storage administrator who manages SwiftStack. I know we are on the latest version.

It easily scales. We have about 500 users with the majority being software and systems engineers.

We are at a half of one petabyte range. We do find that data can be ingested and accessed a fast rate.

If you were to do gigabyte per person, we can store more data per person than we used to with traditional storage by at least 200 percent.

The technical support is pretty good. I haven't had any issues with the support. We have had some challenges sending certain types of information because of they outsource support to other countries. 24-hour US-only support would probably be my recommendation as room for improvement. Other than that, the support that we do get has been really good.

The outsourced support has been helpful. We have been limited in what we can send, but in one case, they were able to allow us to recover our data quickly.

It was the first object storage product that we ever installed. We had more traditional storage, like a NetApp or a Dell-type solution with a traditional NAS or SAN.

This was our first object storage solution. We decided to move to it because of the cost savings associated with having unstructured data being stored on deep, dense storage than using commodity hardware. Even when you look at the traditional filer, there's a lot more cost that goes into it. It's less flexible. So it was really to provide that flexibility of what you get in an Amazon or Microsoft Cloud to be able to run that on-premise.

They have made improvements to the product since we first initially installed it. Previously, it didn't have a packaged installer. However, they've since done a packaged installer of the Controller. Beyond that, it's pretty nice because the Controller handles the installation. Relative to some of the other software that we have done of this nature, it was easier.

The initial Controller install was probably the most complex part. Once you got that going, getting it onto individual nodes was straightforward.

Our deployment took a day or two. We deployed it as quickly as possible, then figured it out as we went along. It was an initial proof of concept that we just rolled out into production.

We repurposed existing servers for our initial deployment of SwiftStack, then for our expansion, we bought new servers. It was a positive benefit for scalability, flexibility, and cost savings. This was a primary reason that we chose the product. It had a lower cost of entry versus comparable solutions. We could repurpose hardware at a small capacity license, then we were able to incrementally grow, which saved us a lot of money over the years.

We had SwiftStack engineers onsite for a day or two. They worked alongside a few other engineers and myself to do the install. Our experience with them was great.

It requires about half the time of a FTE (systems administrator) a year to manage and maintain it. We do have engineers who might come in if there are high priority issues, configurations, etc. However, the average cost equivalent is probably a thousand hours a year, and that might be on the upper end.

The pricing model is great and makes sense. We have talked about how to get into more of a frequent billing cycle than once a year. That would be an interesting concept to add into the product, having the ability to have monthly billing instead of having to do a one-year licensing renewal. However, the way the license works by charging for storage consumed is definitely what makes them the most competitive.

We have looked at IBM Cleversafe, which is now IBM Cloud Object Storage

We had discussions about Scality and Cloudian.

We looked at NetApp StorageGRID Webscale, which was the vendor who we were considering since NetApp has a large presence in the government space and we wanted to look at something familiar.

We had a history of working with the Dell EMC ECS product, which was originally called Atmos, then ViPR. We didn't buy the hardware appliance. We bought the software only. The hardware being used is our Dell hardware.

We talked about Ceph because they do have object storage interfaces, but decided not to go with them for lack of product maturity.

Looking at these vendors gave us some metrics to compare against. The primary reason for going with SwiftStack was the low cost of entry. They had comparable features to other vendors, but won out on price.

What other advice do I have?

Give it consideration. A lot of people don't know about it or how it works. The biggest advice: You don't require OpenStack to run SwiftStack. That is the biggest product confusion issue that SwiftStack has to deal with that you can deploy them independent of OpenStack. A lot of customers may think that because it's based on OpenStack, you will need this complex OpenStack deployment, which is not true.

Private Cloud
    System administrator at a library with 11-50 employees
    A nicely-done product that provides a lot of graphs and reports to see what's happening in the background and makes configuration easier
    • "The graphs are most valuable. They have a lot of graphs and reports that you can run to see what's happening in the background to configure OpenStack Swift."
    • "It's very well done for what it's supposed to do, and I don't have anything to add, but I would like them to keep it available to the public. SwiftStack is going out of the market. NVIDIA purchased SwiftStack a couple of years ago, and they won't be making it available to the public anymore. Our license is up to March 31st."

What is our primary use case?

We provide archived documentation in Canada. We use it to manage servers for object storage. It is a console that helps you configure OpenStack Swift. We have eight OpenStack Swift servers, and we use SwiftStack to manage them.

It is on-premises. We have one VM on one of our servers, and then we use it to configure all other nodes.

How has it helped my organization?

It makes my work easier.

What is most valuable?

It is a very well-done solution. I have no issues with it. It is well-explained, and configuration is easy with it.

What needs improvement?

It's very well done for what it's supposed to do, and I don't have anything to add, but I would like them to keep it available to the public. SwiftStack is going out of the market. NVIDIA purchased SwiftStack a couple of years ago, and they won't be making it available to the public anymore. Our license is up to March 31st.

It is reliable. Everything works fine.

It is very easy to scale. Installing SwiftStack on every node is easy.

Its users include me and my backup. I need to support it every day, but I don't use it every day.

The developers use the SwiftStack Client to connect to the storage, which is also easy to deploy. Our main purpose as an organization is to provide archived documents. They're testing the platform every day. I'm assuming that in one way or another, they use it every week.

We have the basic support because we're not a HA business. We don't need high availability. The system can be down for a couple of hours or days.

They're very knowledgeable, and they respond very quickly. We didn't have any problems with them.

We always used SwiftStack. When we implemented OpenStack Swift, it was done with SwiftStack. We haven't used any other solution, and we haven't replaced any other solution to use SwiftStack.

It's pretty straightforward. I didn't set it up originally. I haven't installed the console itself. When you deploy OpenStack, you might configure a node with it. Installing the client on every node is super easy and very well-documented.

I'm the sole system admin here. I have a backup, but I'm the main system admin. If I'm not available, he takes care of it, but I'm the one who is maintaining it every day.

It's pricey for us because we're a nonprofit. I'm not privy to any amount or cost, but I have been told that it is pricey.

There are no costs in addition to the licensing fees, and it seems to come with the support.

What other advice do I have?

Don't use it because it will go off the market in three months. It won't be available. NVIDIA purchased the whole company and made it private so that they can use SwiftStack internally for their AI stuff.

I would rate it a nine out of 10. I'm very saddened that we won't have access to SwiftStack because of how useful it was.

Download our free File and Object Storage Report and find out what your peers are saying about NVIDIA, Red Hat, Scality, and more!
    Updated: September 2022